Start by marking “The Write Escape” as Want to Read:
The Write Escape

The Write Escape

Take one heartbroken Chicago girl

Literary editor Antonia Harper had it all—the career, the man, the future. That was then. Now Antonia is jobless, alone and at a crossroads. What better time to travel the world? A solo honeymoon on the Emerald Isle will be like hitting the reset button. No distractions, no drama.

Add some luck o’ the Irish

Aiden Byrnes may be a literature pr
ebook
Published September 30th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Write Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Write Escape

Start your review of The Write Escape
Sam (AMNReader)
Antonia basically loses everything in the span of two days--well, not everything...but enough. Her fiance, and then her job. Inspired by her very own romance novel heroine and her supportive family, she takes her own honeymoon.

I'll stop there, you've read this set up. I couldn't remember why I picked up this book (other than the cute couple on the cover) but in the end I remembered, I'm a sucker for remote neighbors in a rustic setting and, well, here we are, in Ireland at Tully Cross.

It's evid
Jazmen
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I need to read more mature romances. I hate to classify it as such but the truth is the truth, let it settle where it may.

Antonia and Aiden are the type of couple that I aspire to be with my loved one, one day—making mistakes, figuring things out messily, but coming together at the end.

Antonia is engaged to be married, and she’s kind of unhappy; she just doesn’t know it. She works for a publisher while daydreaming of being a writer. A broken engagement, a broken heart, and a pre-planned honeym
Bri
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night and I’m still thinking about Aiden, who’s definitely my new book boyfriend! He’s sweet without being corny. Had critical thinking skills (we love to see it!). And I was so into the fact that he was an English professor who actually cared about Black writers.

I also liked Antonia. She had a clear arc and I was super intrigued by her relationships with her mom and sister, Octavia.

The Write Escape is also so so well written in terms of dialogue! Aidan and Antonia ha
Charish Reid
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wait--am I allowed to do this?? Can I just get on here and GIVE MYSELF 5 stars?
*Nervously looks around* Okay, I'm gonna do it.

I love The Write Escape and I had fun writing it. I hope that comes across to readers when they experience it. If you liked reading about the adventures of Antonia and Aiden, aka "Double A," as Avery Flynn coined, please hit up the Goodreads site for my second book Hearts on Hold:

Okay, I better stop there because this definitely fe
Toya (the reading chemist)
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book that was exactly what you needed in a certain moment? That’s exactly how I felt about reading The Write Escape.

Antonia is in the midst of planning her dream wedding (with a frustrating mother in law) to her fiancé Derek while dealing with the high stress of her publishing job, which is in serious threat of going under. Four days before her wedding, Antonia’s mother makes it known that she doesn’t approve of this union since she doesn’t quite trust Derek, and she didn’t
Tina
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I actually did.

It starts off really strong with the heroine Antonia ready top get married and her fiance showing what an entire ass he is. Also she has some work related drama as she works in a small publishing company that is being derailed by nepotism. And finally, she is a frustrated writer herself. She has a romance novel WIP that she has been working on for awhile and she has some self-doubt about being a committing to it and putting her own work o
Steph's Romance Book Talk
4.25 Stars / 3 Steam Fans

Video review available in Week 7 Feb 9 – 15 weekly book reviews.

For other video book reviews, check out my YouTube Channel: Steph's Romance Book Talk.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Antonia was just laid off from her job and she found out her finance was cheating. She breaks up with him (within days of their wedding) and decides to go to Ireland where they were planning on going for their honeymoon. Aiden is a lit professor in pursuit of tenure at National University of Ireland (Galway). He's had a stressful year and spends part of his summer holiday in a cottage in an Irish village.
I was so hooked on this and spent a few late nights trying to finish it. I really liked Anto
romancejunkie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Antonia discovers that her fiancee has been cheating on her for months just days before their wedding, so she decides that enough was enough and she woudn't put up with the way he treated her anymore and decides to still go to the planned honeymoon alone. There she meets Aiden and the two are drawn to each other and start a romance. All is good until Aiden father reappears and the fears he had of being abandoned again by someone he cares about makes him move away from her and the relationship t ...more
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally had time to finish this great book and it was exactly what I needed.

I loved the scenery of the great landscape, Charish Reid definitely nailed it with the picturesque description and lovely quirky characters in the small town in Ireland where an Irish man isn't just making Antonia going crazy. ✨

Loved the academic part of the book as well as the background about writing and publishing. It gave the book different layers and believable issues to overcome for the MCs.

Right at the end the rea
N.G.Peltier N.G.Peltier
My rating is more 3.5

I liked this debut and am looking forward to the next book. I always enjoy the whole MC going off to a different place to get away from it all. Especially when they come into their own and we see them learning somethings about themselves.

It also doesnt hurt to have a cute Irish dude next door while doing so. I have to say my fave scene was when Antonia is greeted by the door by a shirtless Aiden. Classic. Also anger cake loool.

Now there were some things I was a bit iffy on.
Sarah Smith
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I loved this book! It hooked me from the premise: Antonia has just come off from losing her job and her (cheating bastard) fiance, so she decides screw it. She's going on the trip to Ireland that she had originally planned for her honeymoon.

Along the way she bumps into hot college professor Aiden who has the sexiest accent ever (seriously, why did none of my college professors look or sound like Aiden?! ARGH!). They have an adorable meet-cute in a grocery store, find out they're staying
Cortney
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming little romance about how everything goes wrong until it finally goes right. Antonia and Aiden are two souls dealing with serious baggage.

The novel does a good job of showcasing the vulnerabilities of people just coming out of toxic relationships. The constant questioning of whether or not it’s healthy to start a new relationship if you’re still trying to process the previous one.

I found myself smiling while reading their meet cute. I’m a sucker for the serendipitous meeting and their
patrick Lorelli
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Literary editor Antonia Harper has lost her job and her guy. The guy was her fiancé and after talking to her sister she decides to go on the trip to Ireland anyway. Her sister deals with the canceling and the ex, her mother did not like the guy anyway and after she found out he had been cheating for who knows how long Antonia just wants to begin a new. She also decides to pull out her book that she has stopped and started over the years hopping that she can finally finish it and maybe get it pub ...more
SassafrasfromAmazon

3.5🌟

A nice SHORT (hopefully) review to follow shortly.

I loved every bit of this story. It elicited strong emotions at various critical points in the book.
Really Into This
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Melissa contributed this review to Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews at https://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

Special thanks to Charish Reid & Harlequin for providing our copy in exchange for an honest & fair review.

If you're looking for a romantic tale that centers around a strong, hard-working female protagonist, look no further. The Write Escape by Charish Reid is a wonderful story about love, perseverance & following one's heart. Also, love the fact that it is set in Ir
Jenica
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book early.

The Write Escape is Charish Reid's debut and I have some feelings about it. But first, I guess I should quickly sum up the plot:

Essentially, Antonia (from Chicago, in America) finds out her fiancé is trash and loses her job in the span of approximately 24 hours so she flies to Ireland on a solo honeymoon where she is reminded of her fiancé's trashy qualities and winds up in a cottage adjacent to Aiden. Aiden is an
Timitra
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanceopoly
The Write Escape is a journey of self discovery, healing and love. The main characters Antonia and Aiden are each carrying emotional baggage and aren't looking but still find each other. I enjoyed their journey. It was cute, sweet and sensual. I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's work.

Copy provided by publisher through Net Galley
Brittany Senger
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Write Escape is the first romance novel I’ve ever read, as I typically gravitate towards the classics, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the read. The Write Escape is rich with intelligence, metaphor, and humor. If you’re looking for a smart, heartwarming, happily-ever-after story to brighten up your week – look no further.

The protagonists, Antonia and Aiden, are extremely relatable and I enjoyed bearing witness to their soul searching. While there are cert
Abby Green
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this debut romance set in Ireland. I’m very picky about non Irish people writing books set in Ireland - because the cliche and stereotype is usually strong, my friend! - but Charish knocked this out of the park. Really authentic depiction of Ireland & Irish people. In fact, it’s given me a whole new appreciation for my own country and Irish men who somehow never seem to quite live up to their romantic fiction alter egos!
When Antonia, a publisher moonlighting as an aspiring writer flees to
Erin
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
American Antonia has just broken off her wedding to a cheater, her publisher employer is in financial trouble, and she needs a change. What could be better than a week or two in rural Ireland? She might not have the fiancé anymore, but she can still enjoy the honeymoon and maybe write her romance novel at last.

Irishman Aiden is in a professional slump as an English lit professor. He decides to head to the countryside for some quiet reflection and no distractions. Only, surprise, the beautiful a
Kristen
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, e-arc, romance
In Charish Reid's The Write Escape, this contemporary romance is so wonderfully written and moving and would take you on an amazing journey. For Antonia Harper, she's planning her wedding, working on a historical romance novel, and stuck in her editing job at a small literary press in Chicago. With a shake-up at work, she discovered her fiance Derek Rogers has been cheating on her. She breaks up the wedding and went on an escape to Ireland where she would've spent her honeymoon. During her stay ...more
cubierocks
3.5

Some iffy pacing and a leading man I had mixed feelings for (some things he did I'm still a bit upset about, I also found him a bit too pushy/forward in the beginning, lastly, I'm pretty biased against any romance books that repeatedly references a deep desire for having kids), but overall a fun, adorable read. I appreciated the dialogue as well as Antonia's character and I'll definitely be on the look out for other books by Reid.
Linniegayl
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this contemporary romance. Antonia and Aiden are a wonderful heroine and hero. And the setting -- a small village in Ireland -- makes everything even better. Off to find the author's backlist! This is an A- for me, so five stars here.
Natalie Dee
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars 🌟 This book was pretty predictable (even for the genre) but it was also really sweet. I definitely enjoyed reading it and would pick up another book by this author
Teresa Woodard
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the characters and the setting. Both hero and heroine felt authentic to me. Most of the conflict is internal which I like. Plus, it just made me smile. Would read certain scenes again. 4*
Rachel
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this enough that I requested an ARC of the next one. I think the author is skilled, but the narrative here was uneven--very good in some places, just ok in others. The irishness seemed a bit overdone to me, but my exposure to Irish folk is limited to just a couple of cities, so.
kittykat (Jo Tortitude)
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ireland, rom-cri
BLACK HISTORY MONTH 2020

07.03.20

Equal parts funny and corny but to me, this is an old fashioned feeling 'warm and squishy hug 'type of romance, with just a smattering of eye-rolling at some of the 'will they won't they' going on. It is definitely contemporary though, and a tad on the insta-love side, but on this occasion, I can forgive that, because it was such a cute reading experience without it being overly fluffy and sugary.

I did find it pleasantly surprising that there was some minor discu
Emmalita
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twitter has been talking about Charish Reid’s forthcoming debut novel, The Write Escape. I was happy to receive it as an arc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Antonia is about to get married, she has a good job in publishing and she is kind of working on her novel. The problem is, her mother doesn’t like her fiance, she doesn’t like her soon to be in laws, and now their are rumors of trouble at her publishing house. In a few short hours, she loses her fiance and her job.

Dr. Aiden B
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• White Whiskey Bargain
  • A Cowboy to Remember (Cowboys of California #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Sweet Talkin' Lover (Girls Trip, #1)
  • Open House (Uptown, #2)
  • Office Hours
  • 40-Love (There's Something About Marysburg, #2)
  • Desire and the Deep Blue Sea (Love Unscripted, #1)
  • Grumpy Jake
  • Like Lovers Do (Girls Trip, #2)
  • He's Come Undone: A Romance Anthology
  • American Sweethearts (Dreamers, #4)
  • Here to Stay
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • House Rules (Uptown, #3)
  • American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)
  • A Match Made for Thanksgiving (Holidays with the Wongs, #1)
  • Maple Sundaes and Cider Donuts (Modern Mail Order Brides #10)
When Charish Reid isn’t writing romance, she’s watching 1970’s disaster films, reading smut, and hastily preparing lectures for tomorrow’s class. She is a traveling chatterbox who enjoys talking to new people in new places. In Bangkok, Charish saw a Thai royal princess in a shopping mall. In Helsinki, she karaoked Alanis Morissette. And in Galway, she found inspiration for her first novel.

Charish