Jump to ratings and reviews
Alternate cover edition of ASIN B07BN9XMQQ

The soul of a necromancer is trapped inside his twin. If he fails to return to his own body, his life may not be the only one at stake.

Nearing his twentieth birthday, Xavier and his brother journey across the realms to find his missing body and free his cursed soul. But a girl wielding the dual-magics of fire and necromancy also searches for Xavier with a mission of her own, having been sent by the King of Dreams to reunite the twins and fulfill a prophecy the world has forgotten. Now a dark power grows as they all must face a kingdom at the cusp of war while a demon sorceress invades the lands with her undead horde.

If they don't survive, neither will the realms.

"One of the most fascinating universes I have ever encountered... rich, mysterious, inviting and frightening at the same time. You will want to visit it again and again."
Readers' Favorite Review

NecroSeam Chronicles is a Multi-Award Winning Series:

First Place Winner of Writer’s Digest 7th Annual Self-Published eBook Awards in Fantasy (Willow of Ashes) [Perfect scores in all areas, including structure/pacing, spelling/grammar, plot appeal, character development, voice/writing style, and cover]

Silver Medal for Readers' Favorite International Book Awards 2020, Fantasy (Blossom of Gold, NecroSeam Book 5)

Readers' Favorite International Book Awards 2019, Fantasy (Willow of Ashes)

Book Excellence Awards Honoree (Willow of Ashes)

Kindle Edition

First published November 7, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ellie Raine

17 books57 followers
Award-winning author Ellie Raine is a die-hard lover of epic adventures and thrilling battles. Since it’s what she loves to read (Douglas Hulick, Rachel Aaron, and Brandon Sanderson especially!) obviously it’s what she loves to write.

She grew up in a family of book lovers, comic readers, and video gamers in the suburbs of Georgia where she always dreamed of making the next explosive game series that would catch fire with her darker themes that put the spotlight on her favorite fable: the Grim Reaper.

Her ongoing Scythe-and-Sorcery book series, The NecroSeam Chronicles, was originally intended to be that explosive video game series, but she's found that the book adaptation is far more fulfilling and exciting. Now she writes like mad while at home with her wonderful husband, their two cats, and their darling daughter: the Dragon Princess Felicity.

The first edition of book 1 in the NecroSeam series, Willow of Ashes, was originally published in 2016 by Dark Oak Press, but the second edition was later re-published with ScyntheFy Press in 2018, along with the subsequent books, Orbs of Azure and Pearl of Emerald. Ellie Raine's latest book, Princess of Shadow and Dream, is a Fantasy Novella in the universe of the NecroSeam Chronicles. Her other works include a supernatural-noir novella titled Nightingale that was published with Pro Se Productions in early 2018.

You can find out more about Ellie Raine and her books at: http://www.NecroSeam.com and http://www.EllieRaine.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (1%)
1 star
3 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews
Profile Image for Vincent Thorn.
Author 4 books13 followers
November 14, 2021
I enjoyed this story considerably! Raine's characters were engaging, and her world inviting. The intrigue over the course of the story kept its hooks in me from start to finish, and I am looking forward to continuing the series. The magic of the setting is straightforward and easy to follow, but is kept fresh with a strong execution in the high-octane action. The setting is unapologetically fantastical, which makes the humanizing moments (positive and negative) all the more familiar.

This reads as if Tim Burton (during his peak) had written Lord of the Rings, in just the best way, and I would recommend this book especially to fans of Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" or Django Wexler's "Ashes of the Sun".
Profile Image for Y.I. Washington.
Author 2 books27 followers
June 26, 2020
Excellent 2nd Edition

I've never experienced epic fantasy based on the idea of the Grim Reaper before. Until this series I honestly wasn't interested in the concept. Ellie Raine has changed that for me.

I think by now I've read this first novel about three times. This 2nd Edition improved on an already intriguing and entertaining story.

I am continually impressed by Ms. Raine's creativity, world building, plotting and characterizations. The amalgam of cultures, the pacing and moments of hilarity were woven into a tapestry of of brilliant storytelling.

My only issue is that, for my tastes, there are too many characters to keep up with throughout the entire series, especially if one has to go months in between reading the subsequent novels. That is one of the reasons I'm reading all five of the current novels and the novella.
Profile Image for April.
382 reviews15 followers
May 4, 2020
This is such a fun and unique book. I’ve never read anything quite like it. It has it shapeshifters, necromancy, friendship, and adventure. I can’t wait to continue with the series!
8 reviews1 follower
June 29, 2018
A very good book by an exciting new author. The book has excellent world and character development that will keep you turning the pages. The book has enough depth that it is worth a reread or two to get all of the nuances that are available. Some are very subtle. Very much worth the money to buy and the time to read.
100 reviews
October 29, 2021
I’m normally read about 90% hard sci-fi/space opera, so epic fantasy is a departure for me. I must say Willow of Ashes was an enjoyable read and a good change of pace.
Profile Image for D.M. Dore.
Author 2 books8 followers
May 8, 2019
It takes a lot of imagination and creativity to create an entire world, not just in characters but in language and new creatures as well. Ellie Raine does an amazing job of pulling readers into a word of magic, where twin sorcerers must work together while chaos and enemies constantly get in their way. Because the world is entirely new to the reader, there were a few moments of confusion, but it never took away from story itself. I became invested in the characters, wanted to see them succeed, and also want to know more about how they got to the moment the story begins.
The book ends answering a lot of those questions but also leaves you wanting more, keeping you tied to the characters and the series. Well done Raine. I really enjoyed reading this and look forward to what happens next.
12 reviews
December 1, 2022
Furrys...

Imagine my surprise when, within the first few paragraphs, I find out that this book is about a land filled with human-animal hybrids. It would be easy to forget this fact, as there is very little utility for characters having fox ears or wolf fur, were it not for the text's constant reminder.

There is an obvious twist in the book that is a bit hard to believe that other characters did not pick up on it sooner.

The main character has some redeeming qualities, but she is also pretty generic. The companion characters are difficult to stomach, and much of the world building is non-existent.
157 reviews1 follower
May 22, 2017
This is a very good fantasy book - with an unusual world. Good writing and good characters.

One of the most surprising things is that it has the style of medieval fantasy - but the world's technology is similar to our own - with some different names for the alternative origin of the devices.

The segmentation of the people into animal clans (all the magic people seem to be shape-shifters) did not seem necessary in this volume. I expect the author to tie this closer into the magic system that she has created.

Profile Image for India.
48 reviews
August 10, 2018
Great storyline

I gave it a 3 because it had a great concept. I loved the storyline and how it explain the different areas and Reapers and dream Chasers. All of that was great it was so creative. But the slow parts were very slow, I almost wanted to skip some pages to get to the action because the non action Parts dragged on for so long. If you can ignore the long scenes from point A to point B it's a great story to read.
Profile Image for Kaye Lynne Booth.
Author 32 books32 followers
March 11, 2021
Ellie Raine has skillfully created a fresh and original fantasy universe, with a diverse array of captivating and unique characters. It is easy to see why this was an award winning novel, as the characters draw you in and each individual storyline comes together to form the intricate weaving of the bigger story, as a whole.

You can read my full review here: https://kayelynnebooth.wordpress.com/...
July 25, 2023
Man, there are a LOT of characters in this book. I do enjoy the 1st person perspective as it is my view of choice. Sometimes though I have to really stop and think about who this character is and how they fit into the story. I wish I had known there was a character list for reference at the back of the book while reading it. This has fantastic world building. Most definitely worth your time to read.
23 reviews4 followers
August 6, 2018
This was a very interesting read. I won this book here on Goodreads, and appreciate these contests immensely as I find alot of new authors to read. I am not good at reviews and apologize in advance I really am one of those that say I liked it read it. There was great world building and imagination.

Thanks again
Profile Image for Holly L'Heureux.
334 reviews13 followers
August 13, 2018
This book was pretty good. There were some slow moments but I did enjoy learning about the Shifters and Grim cultures. I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway and I am glad I did. It was a good read.
Profile Image for Silverbirch.
19 reviews
November 24, 2019
DNF at 44%.

Packed with a lot of genuinely interesting fantasy concepts, but let down in the characterisation and pacing.

Stopped reading right when Lilli, the only major female character thus far, berates a guy for killing the men who planned to sell her into the sex trade. Come on, man.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
60 reviews
April 9, 2021
An amazing introduction to a rich and unique new world.
the characters were well developed and interesting and I was drawn into the plot.
I can't wait to read more of this series and more from Ellie Raine in general.
Profile Image for Krysty K.
58 reviews
July 8, 2021
I am super impressed with this book!! The story definitely has my attention. I love the witty human and the dark world building, I mean a book about Grim Reapers, sign me up! I can’t wait to read the next one. Vendy’s reactions has me dying 😂🤣😂🤣 that moment with her at the Inn I’m still laughing!
70 reviews1 follower
July 9, 2021
Each chapter is told from a different character's perspective, which can be a bit difficult to navigate at times. But the characters themselves are young and fun to travel with and follow. And the story is a unique take on the idea of psychopomps.
100 reviews
November 27, 2020
An interesting tale of two brothers. A bit confusing at times.
Profile Image for Amelia.
16 reviews
October 7, 2022
It was a bit overly complicated and confusing at times but overall, I liked it. It gets bonus points for the excellent audiobook narration.
Profile Image for Dennis Medbury.
Author 4 books3 followers
October 28, 2020
This book is amazing. The characters are engaging, the world is incredibly unique and amazingly developed. Few books I've read can match the creativity presented in this novel. The characters develop and have a distinct personality. I highly recommend this fantasy story if you're looking for complete emerson into a totally new world that leaves behind the classic fantasy tropes, and gives you a new realm to delve into. The lore, history, customs and traditions are unlike any other story. The writing is fantastic with a perfect amount of description that that still leaves enough room to let your imagination run wild. Stop reading this review and read this book. You won't be sorry you did.
Profile Image for Jaime.
15 reviews
November 7, 2020
Amazing world! However, I was very confused until about halfway through the book. With that said, I'm not used to multiple first person POV's, so that had a lot to do with it. I love all the characters. Very interesting fantasy!
Profile Image for Corey.
46 reviews2 followers
October 14, 2019
I could not put this one down. I finished in two days and I'm on to the next!
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.