Start by marking “Healer's Bane” as Want to Read:
Healer's Bane

Healer's Bane

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  33 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Kynet never planned to be at the forefront of the rebellion. That was her brother’s hobby: rallying the people. Plotting against the leaders. Running into dangers she’d have to negotiate him out of.

That was before the Poisoner tried to kill her.

Left with strange powers in the aftermath of his attack, Kynet is even more convinced the rebellion isn’t worth it. For every
Published March 29th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Healer's Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healer's Bane

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Healer's Bane
Kate Willis
FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.

Hello, my name is Kate, and I’m sometimes more empathetic than I know what to do with. Which is probably why this is now one of my favorite books.

Kynet was really relatable in her desire to help others no matter the cost to herself. The personal effects, both physical and emotional, on her when she healed were allegorically beautiful and so, so accurate. Thi
Jane
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-edited
First of all, I love the aesthetic of this book! The dystopian, almost apocalyptic feel came through really strong with all the mists and abandoned houses and rebellions. Add in some fantasy, and it's a gorgeous mish-mash of genres.

It's only a novella, so it doesn't really dive into the backstory of the world or the side characters, which I would've loved, but it was still done very well in the amount of time it had. Kynet's internal struggles were very real and relatable.

Healer's Bane is a comp
Deborah O'Carroll
5 thoughts on Healer’s Bane (also posted on my book blog here)

I have MANY FEELINGS about this novella and I don’t know quite what they amount to so . . . I’m just going to throw them at you. XD

1. It was sooo mysterious and spooky, with an intriguing gaslight sort of feel, mixed in with a smidge of dystopian-type feel, with the rebellion and so on. The fantasy bits were woven in well, with the mysterious healing powers and the Poisoner (URGH) and the star-mists and everything. It’s sort of a shad
k.m.s.
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Healer's Bane is definitely my favorite novella by Hope Ann (so far). Though short, the theme really packs a punch and gives you something to ponder after the final pages. I call quite a few stories enjoyable, but it's rare these days to find something like Healer's Bane that I would call really worth reading.

The start was a bit hard for me to get into, but that was mainly as a result of the author's prose: I love that it requires you to pay attention to pick up on the subtleties and
Siobhan
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Hope Ann’s Healer’s Bane was an enjoyable quick read, a novella that packs a lot into the story. It is one that will grip you for the duration, leaving you more than happy to power through the pages.

I will be honest by saying, at first, I was unsure about this one. It’s well written and interesting, but I was uncertain about the world. I’m a lover of complex worlds, of lots of world building, and this one didn’t quite have enough for me. I understood the most basic details of what was going on,
Edna Pellen
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-books, fantasy
The setting and general aesthetic of this story was very vivid and good. The prose were nice, not overdone but still often deep and profound. The pacing was good and the plot was interesting.

I wasn't a huge fan of Kynet's (the main character), lesser so in the second half of the novella, but the other characters were good. I would love a prequel showing the rest of the world building and the Poisoner and Lael's first interactions, as well as Lael's general life before this story. Those two were
Naomi
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Y’all, seriously, Hope outdid herself again! I thought it’d be difficult to beat Shadowkeeper which she released in January, but she nailed this book. I’m continually blown away by her characters! I’m always drawn by good characters, and hers are so relatable. I know I probably come across as a fan girl, but it really is hard to find a bad thing about her work. So why don’t you read it, and see for yourself! 😉😉
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*
Azaria Durant
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Narnian
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was dedicated to INFPS! That's so cool! (I am not an INFP but it makes me happy!)

This book is about rebellion, pain and healers.

I tend to enjoy all of Hope Ann's books. :D The occasional (or a lot depending on the book) of sass entertains me and the conflict is always there to make me concerned for the characters. (Especially this one. I was worried and wondering who would make it out alive more than usual).
I feel like the resistance/rebel feel is well done in this book although I was
Maggie
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cover-love
I was offered a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 Stars!!

Healer's Bane is definitely my favorite story by Hope Ann so far! It was filled with thrilling adventure, cunning plot, and wonderfully lovable characters. Healer's Bane was rich in its imaginative telling and descriptions, and creative in its world and powers. Each character had depth and deep rooted meaning to their actions and fears. I loved the way Kynet developed and the care she had for those around her (those
S.G. Willoughby
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't plan on reading 75% of the book in one sitting. But I really, really liked it. It touched some of the deepest parts of me for reasons that are so personal I can't tell you them. The premise was intriguing, and I think the MC's struggle is relatable to so many people who pour themselves out to take care of everyone in sight.

I loved the side characters, especially Ean and Lael. Having an 8-year-old follow her around everywhere added to Kynet's character a lot. And the world-building was
Leia Rose
An interesting world with a lot of good points but there was something lacking. Kynet was a bit too obstinate for my liking. She was told over and over that star mist was the only thing that'd heal her assumed injuries. And yet . . . every time she refused to just go outside and heal. She'd go into a battle half damaged already and refuse to take a few minutes to heal so that maybe she would be able to go further . . . It got really annoying.

Kynet's brother had some major issues. The guy thinks
Kim  Gregory
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed this story, but it did seem a little dark to me. There is a poisoner and a healer. The poisoner puts death into people, and the healer must take it out before they can die. Kynet never dreamed of being a healer, but when she is healed from the poison she is given the gift and has to use it often to save her friends and her brother, who is leading a rebellion.

I could see it all and it looked like London in the middle ages. The very poor and the very rich and the very poor are t
BookWolf
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
I am finding Healer's Bane very hard to rate simply because it is so different from everything I usually read! I’m not sure how much I would say I liked it, as the genre is not my thing, but it neatly spring-boarded many intriguing fantasy elements to discuss, and for that I will up my rating. It made me think and consider things I would have done differently, and things I would like to see more if I read the genre.

In terms of prose and editing, very well done. Near the beginning there were a co
Dawn Dagger
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You all will never understand the absolute glory that is this book until you read it, I swear to you. That is all I can say. My blog post says the rest (https://dawndaggerblog.wordpress.com/...). This book is solid, well written, and cannot be overthrown by any book, ever. I love it so much.
*I was given a free copy in exchange for a fair review*
Holly
Bekah C
Feb 04, 2021
Julie Scott
Apr 05, 2019

• The Stolen Kingdom (The Stolen Kingdom #1)
  • Poison's Dance: A Twelve Dancing Princesses Retelling (Beyond the Tales #3)
  • Colors of Fear (The Terebinth Tree Chronicles #1)
  • Midnight's Curse: A Cinderella Retelling (Beyond the Tales Book 2)
  • Not Write Now: A How-Not-To Guide for Writing Fiction
  • The Lady and the Wish (Faraway Castle, #4)
  • Unseen Beauty
  • Twelve Days of Faery (Shards of a Broken Sword #1)
  • Daughter of Sun, Bride of Ice (Ice and Fate, #1)
  • Blue Fire
  • Decree (The Blades of Acktar, #5)
  • A Thief in Time (A Thief in Time #1)
  • Hall of Heroes
  • Dissent (Band of Believers #1)
  • Fantastic Creatures
  • God Owns My Business: They Said It Couldn't Be Done, But Formally and Legally...
  • Darkness Reigns (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1a)
  • The Chosen (Reuven Malther #1)
Hope Ann likes to think herself a dragon-riding, griffin-taming founder of worlds and explorer of legends. Using chocolate, she bribes a wide ring of spies, from the realm leapers of Aslaria to the double agents of Elkbend, for their stories.

She thrives on frost, steel, and the tears of her readers which she secretly mixes into iced coffee. Deep in her hobbit hole, her actual life involves stayin