Start by marking “The Dinky Donkey” as Want to Read:

The Dinky Donkey

The Wonky Donkey has a daughter in this hilarious sequel to the runaway hit! Wonky Donkey had a child, it was a little girl. Hee Haw! The laugh-out-loud follow-up to the viral sensation The Wonky Donkey is finally here! Featuring playful verses by Craig Smith and charming illustrations by Katz Cowley, The Dinky Donkey follows the same formula that made its predecessor a ...more
Published November 5th 2019 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Dinky Donkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dinky Donkey

Start your review of The Dinky Donkey
Bookrapt
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Dinky Donkey is a must for all lovers, young and old, of The Wonky Donkey.

In this sequel:
Wonky Donkey had a child...
it was a little girl.
She was so cute and small!
She was a dinky donkey.

As in the first book, author Craig Smith has created fanciful situation to indulge in rhyming word play, culminating in:
She was a stinky funky plinky-plonky winky-tinky …blinky dinky donkey.

I trust publishers Scholastic have sent a copy (or a box lot!) to the Scottish grandmother who illustrator Katz
Nick Swarbrick
Nov 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
A lovely little girl donkey with long eyelashes? Give me strength.
Angela
Gorgeous follow up to The Wonky Donkey. My own children, who all loved The Wonky Donkey once upon a time, are a bit grown up for this one now, but I read it the other day to the five and six year olds at the school I work at and they just loved it, especially getting to join in on the "hee haw" on every other page. Kids do love permission to be noisy. These really are some of the best read aloud stories, and the illustrations are adorable too.
Nicola  Golding
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listening to my mum try to read this without getting tongue-tied or laughing has been one of the highlights of my festive season.
Alyce Hunt
I am not a huge fan of The Dinky Donkey. First things first, I can't understand why The Wonky Donkey (another picture book that I never understood the appeal of) needed a sequel after ten years, let alone one that focuses on such an overly feminine, Dinky Donkey as his daughter. The listing gets boring after a while, and I wasn't surprised when my little one got bored within a couple of pages and raced off from the storytime circle! At least it's not just me judging this one harshly - kid has ...more
Jan
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Nowhere near as funny as The Wonky Donkey, but I'm sure with all the silly rhyming that gets longer and sillier on each page, that children will love it just the same. While I read, I kept imagining that the hilarious Scottish grandmother from youtube was reading it to me. It made it much more enjoyable, and definitely funnier.
Allie Krause- HPL
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Craig Smith gets readers laughing once again in this hilarious follow-up to The Wonky Donkey. In The Dinky Donkey, readers get to chuckle at the various ways Wonky Donkey describes his new daughter, Dinky Donkey.

Kahn
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Picked up for no reason other than finding myself in a shop with nothing better to do, while Herself went about buying whatever she needed I read this.
Didn't take long, but it was fun!
Lovely illustrations, a nice rhythm to the words, bits that make you smile and snigger - it's no wonder kids love this.
Dierric Rogers
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
From the creators of The Wonky Donkey, comes a new tale. "Wonky Donkey had a child. It was a little girl. She was a dinky donkey." Same concept as the previous book with better pictures and no innuendos that were in the first book. I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either. It is an okay picture book.
St Michael's Primary Oxford
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very amusing story about a Dinky Donkey who has other talents and unfortunately a bad smell, courtesy of her father. The repetition in the rhyming and alliterative words goes down well with the children, who try to join in and giggle. Could be useful too for reinforcing language features and just having some word fun!
Hannah
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps my favourite Christmas present?! The sequel to The Wonky Donkey (an absolute classic in my eyes), this book tells the adventures of Wonky's daughter, Dinky, in the most humourous way. Just brilliant!
Julie Schooler
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very worthy sequel to the mega-hit 'The Wonky Donkey'. I would almost say that it is better than its predecessor. The prose is hilarious plus it has a cute little donkey in it. What more could you and your kids want in a picture book? Highly, highly recommended.
Carol
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Last year I bought The Wonky Donkey for my younger grandkids and they loved it. Laughed their heads off! Me too! In this new book by the same authors, Wonky has a baby donkey - Dinky. A lovely, sweet and funny story my little ones will love.
Leslie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun follow up to The Wonky Donkey. The first one is best, but the kids enjoyed this one too. I did change a word for Story Time though. I wasn’t reading “pee pee” over and over again. I didn’t think that was necessary. I used “potty” instead ...more
Jenn
We love Wonky Donkey and Dinky Donkey didn't disappoint. Dinky is Wonky's daughter, who is funky, stinky, blinky, and much more. All three of the kids keep repeating it and wanting to read it every night.
Alondra Hernandez
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-5
This is a book about a donkey that has so many problems. It is really funny and also has rhyming.
Gabriella
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t think it was as good as the first one. 3.5 stars. The rhyming wasn’t as clever even if the dinky donkey was cuter. Still enjoyable and worth a read.
Christine D
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Silly and cute, just as ridiculous as the Wonky Donkey
Tami
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wonky Donkey is back with his delightfully entertaining daughter! Kids from 1 to 100 will love this book!
Bonnie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Almost as silly as silly as the mama book, The Wonky Donkey.
Margie
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another hilarious, tongue-twister donkey story, this one about a baby female donkey.
Melodie Grabner
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grandmothers prepare to laughs and cry. Just read it out loud.
Louise
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
My children found this a really fun book. The wobbly donkey has a child and it’s a little girl and she is described through the book.
Kimberly Sabatini
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awwwwww <3 So many fun words for the tongue.
Amber Sternitzke
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
kiddos will love this book! It would make a great gift!
Liam
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leah (my daughter) loved this book!

Me and my daughter loved reading this book, we had lots of laughs whilst reading this great book!

Leah Unger
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very entertaining book for pre-school-kindergarden (ages 3-5) children. As the story builds, so does the excitement with catchy little phrases. Look at that Baby Dinky Donkey...HEE HAW!!
Julie Garner
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Just as hilarious as the first (especially when you imagine it in the Scottish Granny’s accent)
James
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Equally adorable
Lisa
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations, same type of rhyme as Wonky Donkey that the Littles will enjoy.

• The Serious Goose
  • The Great Santa Stakeout
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • I Am Love: A Book of Compassion
  • The Crayons' Christmas
  • Little Blue Truck's Christmas
  • How to Catch an Elf
  • Unicorn Day
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • The Scarecrow
  • Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas
Author and musician Craig Smith was born in Clyde, central Otago, in 1972. Shortly after, the family moved to Queenstown where he, his mother and five brothers and sisters grew up. He now lives in Christchurch.

As a child Craig remembers telling his mother, 'When I grow up, I'm going to become a musician.' Her answer was 'You can't do both!' and she was right. When writing songs for the adult