Jump to ratings and reviews

The Gods of Nibiru #1

The Etlu Games

Learning the truth about your past and your destiny can be more daunting than living in ignorance. Maybe that’s why people say ignorance is bliss…

This is something twenty year old Sara Fuller quickly learns after she reunites with Niobe Freeman, after being in hiding for fourteen years. Niobe holds the secrets to a past she cannot remember and offers her the keys to a future where Sara can live the life she wants to live. When Sara inherits everything that is hers and lives the life she had always dreamt of, the unspeakable powers that turned her world upside down discover that she’s still alive. Sara discovers the dreadful truth about her parents deaths and a prophecy that will determine the very fate of the planet. Sara’s only hope of saving our world is to fulfill the inconceivable plan Niobe has set before her. Can Sara overcome her greatest fears to achieve the impossible? Can she accept the truth of her fate?

Who would enjoy this book?

Perfect for fans who enjoy new adult, high action-adventure, fantasy, sci-fi novels.

476 pages, Kindle Edition

First published June 30, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

C.E. Allan

2 books95 followers
My passion for stories started at the age of three. I was transfixed with books like James and the Giant Peach and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Television programs like Batman with Adam West. And I was completely mesmerized by movies like Clash of the Titans, Jason and the Argonauts, but my all time favorite hands down is Star Wars.

Quick facts:

- I'm a caffeine dependant organism.

- I'm a proud Nerd/Geek and I'll prove it to you. According to the scientist Richard Dawkins if you think of an experience in your childhood, something that you remember clearly, something that you can see, feel, even smell, as if you were really there, after all you really were there. How else would you remember it. Now here is the bombshell, you weren't there. Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place. I love stuff like this.

- I think food tastes better with a fork unless it's soup or icecream.

- I love to use google in debates to prove my point.

- I believe that hard work compensates for lack of talent, because it makes me feel better about myself.

- My favorite quote is, follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there are only walls, because it makes me believe I can achieve anything I put my mind to and enjoy doing.

- I prefer my puns intended.

- I'm a determined dreamer who is sagacious, pertinacious, indefatigable, magnanimous, ebullient, loquacious yet laconic, pragmatic, efficacious, altruistic, but not pretentious.

- My guilty pleasures are TMZ and The Wendy William's Show.

- My favorite authors are Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, Gillian Flynn and the late Vince Flynn.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (2%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews
Profile Image for Aimee Janetzki.
14 reviews
December 22, 2015
Just finished this book and OH MY. Speechless as I am, I will try and write a review that explains my love for this book in 25 words or more!

I have to admit. I was hesitant to start reading this book as I have heard nothing about it. But this has the most under-hyped book on the market. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

This story follows a girl named Tianna, who after an old friend comes back into her life, life goes into chaos. She is being hunted by the same people who killed her parents and along the way she discovers new things about herself, the world she thought she knew everything about, and her parents death that cause her to go on a dangerous journey. During this journey she faces her worst fears, and loses people close to her, through all the suffering and agony Tianna is put through a harsh competition that she has no choice but to win for the sake of everyone she holds dear.

First I would like to state how amazing the prologue is. It gives you the perfect insight into what you have throughout the entire book. All the violence, family bonds and love throughout the first part prepares you for the rest of this incredible book.

Throughout this book the Point of views change from Tianna to different characters who are all tied into the same story. I thought seeing their different perspectives was interesting because it gave you an outlook on the outsiders suffering as well.

Tianna, the main character. Is such an empowering and inspiring woman as are all the women in C.E Allan's novel. All the characters grew on me instantly, especially Tianna. She truly made this book a joy to read in many ways because of how strong of a character she was. She also was very real. As in, real emotions and real responses. C.E Allan did a fantastic job with making Tianna a relatable character in this fantasy world he created.

I recommend you read this book if your a lover of fantasy, bad-ass women characters, sci-fi and just overall outstanding books. This is definitely going onto my favourites shelf!

I applaud C.E Allan on his writing as this was descriptive, inspiring and will now be and forever be in my heart.
Profile Image for Candice Barbara.
77 reviews1 follower
March 17, 2022
At first, I looked at the cover wondering what to expect. The cover reminds me of the game Final Fantasy. Will this book be anything like the game? Opening the book, I begin to read. One message can change the course of someone's day. Collins receives a message which begins an inner turmoil which causes fast external movements. He learned his family was kidnapped and in serious danger. Years later, his daughter, Tianna, was hiding out in an academy which initially sounded great. Her friend, Crystal, brings excitement to her life. In the reader's initial introduction to her, she wants Tianna to sneak out wearing an invisibility outfit and have some fun! What an intriguing way to start a story. An emotional roller coaster in just a few pages. Collins immediately hears negative news and moves. He moves and is witness to a scene which no one is usually privy to. I can’t imagine witnessing death. Though this was horrifying this brought a press into the heart of Tianna to do something about it. Will she succeed? Will she prove worthy?
Profile Image for Pegboard.
1,744 reviews9 followers
July 31, 2021
The Etlu Games by C.E. Allan is the first in his The Gods of Nibiru series. Tianna Collins was not supposed to live that fateful night gods visited her parent's chateau. Now at the age of twenty, Tianna is reunited with Niobe, her old au pair. Finding out answers for both Tianna and Niobe is a deadly business. Betrayal, deceit, and secrets cloak every step of their discovery. They soon discover that finding answers can be more deadly than ignorance.

C.E. Allan is a talented author that sends you on a thrilling adventure. The Etlu Games will have you enthralled through the mission and danger that awaits the characters. I love how a world we know is interlaced with other realms, warriors, and demons. The author's knack for strong female characters, intense fighting scenes, and the mystique of what lies behind the gods' intentions make this a must series to read for lovers of superhero fiction.
Profile Image for Aparna Preethi.
Author 2 books36 followers
July 24, 2021
C.E Allan's 'The Etlu Games', part of the series The Gods of Nibiru is an engaging thriller of action and adventures. Twenty-year-old Tianna Collins had a miserable life. Having lost her parents, she was anonymously living as Sara Fuller under the caretaker of Niobe Freeman. However, she wants to be a Lumia to conquer all the enemies who destroyed her family. Waiting for the arrival of Niobe, the time had come for Tianna to start her revenge. The science-fiction thriller leads to a way of fantasy and warfare. Being a superwoman, Tianna is also destined to save mankind.

This high action-adventure is not even a little bit boring from the start to the end. The presentation of characters and the action sequences are all well executed. I think after 'Game of thrones' this one is the best I have read in action genres.
Profile Image for Agustina Sureda.
368 reviews7 followers
July 28, 2021
C.E. Allan is a writer that lived his whole life surrounded by fantastic stories and movies, so that helped him to create wonderful stories himself. In this book, The Etlu Games, the reader will discover the strong personality of Tianna Collins, a girl who has been missing for years, and while everyone thinks she is dead, Tianna will come across the secrets to a past she cannot remember and will encounter some serious trouble with the people that actually want her dead.
It's a very interesting story that could have multi-endings, so I never really knew what was going to happen next, which made the book very intriguing. The scenery and characters are very well-developed, and the number of details it has is breath-taking. Allan really has an amazing imagination, so it felt as if I were in the actual story. I recommend this to any fantastic novel lover!
Profile Image for Guadalupe Herrera.
250 reviews2 followers
Epic!

Set in a fantastical world, “The Etlu Games (The Gods of Nibiru Book 1)” by C.E. Allan is certainly worth the read. Tianna Collins is out on a journey to discover the truth about herself, and realizes that it might have been better if she had just stayed ignorant. But that is called life. A wonderful addition to my growing fantasy collection, this book had me hooked from the first page. I loved the characters, from the good guys to the villains, they were well written, and I love the change in main characters within the first few chapters. It is different because not only does Joseph, the father, start off as the main character, but then is followed by his daughter. Families bring all sorts of complications as well as things we did not know about. I loved it! If anyone likes fantasy, this is a book to read. It was great.
Profile Image for Kourtney Bradley.
416 reviews8 followers
August 1, 2021
Fast paced sci-fi with thrill

In book one of The Gods of Nibiru series, readers are introduced to the main characters Tianna and Niobe after the two have been separated for many years. While trying to unlock secrets of the past that have been hidden for far too long, Tianna is thrown for a loop when she discovers the truth and is forced to recognize what has been hiding all along. This story was fast-paced and great for an adventurous reader who looks for a thrill in their reading. This is a highly recommended choice for any sci-fi reader who has already enjoyed the Game of Thrones series, and this one is highly aligned with that. Though the story is full of action, it did feel that a few parts lagged a bit, possibly because this one is a longer read, but I think that's a fairly common case with Sci-Fi novels.
Profile Image for Mayra.
195 reviews3 followers
March 29, 2022
It has been a long time since I last read a novel like this. The Etlu Games by C.E. Allan caught my attention from the very beginning. In my opinion, it is one of the best science fiction novels I've read. The fictional aspect of the narrative mixes with action and fantasy, making this book a perfect choice for long nice readings. As I kept reading, the plot started to get more complex, the characters gain more personality and the events had sudden changes that kept me at the edge of my seat. I really like the description of the characters, it helped me picture the whole story better. The language used by the author suited perfectly. If I take into consideration all the aspects of the novel, I should say it's one of the best science fiction adventure fantasy novels I have read. I will recommend it to all of my reader friends, I'm sure they will like it, too.
Profile Image for Evelyn.
623 reviews8 followers
July 31, 2021
As a real lover of science-fiction, this addictive and captivating book was a great addition to my collection.
The author's vivid painting of the sad face of the world makes this novel an exciting read that I could not put down. C.E. Allan develops the characters in a talented and sublime way which kept me glued to the pages of this well-written masterpiece.
The plotting here is superbly constructed; I always felt that I knew what was going on and why. The characterization is strong and lovable and I could feel represented by some of them. I also enjoyed the impressive entry of the protagonist, who can wow any reader like me, a lot.
Without any doubt this is a superb book that I highly recommend. It would meet the expectations of anyone who sets their eyes on it.
Profile Image for Sol Tyty.
649 reviews6 followers
July 31, 2021
The Etlu Games by author C.E Allan is a contemporary British high-action fiction with superheroes and fantasy as its main ingredients and it's the first book in The God of Nibiru series.
The main protagonist of
this story is faced both with good news and with a difficult situation, she now knows secrets about her arduous past, but she has been shot in the stomach and the suspect is right in front of her. I won’t spoil how this story unfolds but I must say that the plot has been masterfully written. Author Allan really has a way with words!
This book is perfect for those who enjoy adventures, fantasy, sci-fi novels of the Game of Thrones style. It is made up of straightforward language and each of the 31 chapters is more absorbing and fascinating than the last one. Totally recommended!
Profile Image for CarlitasFox.
686 reviews7 followers
August 2, 2021
A fascinating and entertaining story!
What an entertaining novel I´ve chosen this time! “The Etlu Games” is a fantasy sci-fi story written by C.E. Allan. This is the first book in the series called “The Gods of Niburi” and for sure I´ll read the next adventure.
The story revolves around Tianna Collins who after an encounter finds out that what she remembers or knows about her family is quite different. Due to this, her world becomes topsy-turvy and she must put it in order. Will she be able to do it?
I really enjoyed this tale! The events are so dynamic that I was at the edge of my seat because I wanted to know more. It is an action-packed story with traces of fantasy. It´s fascinating! I highly recommend it!

Profile Image for Liz.
652 reviews4 followers
July 28, 2021
Since I read the description of this book, I knew that it would be very good. I love reading books that make me travel to unexpected places and immerse myself in fantastic worlds.
"The Etlu Games" is the first book in the series The Gods of Nibiru, in which we meet Tianna Collins, a young woman who discovers things about her past, and now she must assume a great responsibility.
I think author C.E. Allan knew how to create a unique and highly engaging story. His writing is clean and lean, and that makes the reader continue reading the story. This is a great science fiction story full of action and adventure, which I highly recommend.
Profile Image for Nela.
637 reviews9 followers
July 29, 2021
The Etlu Games is the first book in the The Gods of Nibiru series by author C.E. Allan.

The wonderful illustration in the cover already anticipated me that it would be a great adventure story. I would enjoy more of those drawings in the book, but also, from my experience, this lack of images encourages imagination and intensifies approaches; and this is really valuable for young readers.

This science fiction novel has it all: high action, fantasy, a surprisingly relatable cast of characters and an engaging and fascinating plot.

From my point of view, young adults that enjoy this genre will love this saga. I will certainly recommend this read.
Profile Image for Susel.
364 reviews3 followers
July 30, 2021
The Etlu Games (The Gods of Nibiru Book 1) is a great book that has all the right elements that make a fantasy story captivating and engaging from beginning to end.
The main character is Tianna Collins, who lives in complete ignorance about her past until she is able to remember the truth. I really like the fact that she is a strong female character, who has the responsibility to save the world (as this roles are frequently saved for men in this kind of stories).
The overall narrative of the book is wonderfully fluid. This read was a great surprise to me and I think it is without a doubt a refreshingly original story that any sci-fi lover should read!
Profile Image for Alfredo R.
603 reviews6 followers
Fascinating fantasy

“The Gods of Nibiru” is a promising series written by C. E. Allan. I came across the first book of the series titled “The Etlu Games”, which was sold as an auspicious start for this series.

The author compared his work to successful series such as “Games of Thrones”. In my view, the fiction is as rich as other pieces I have read or watched before. The plot is compelling and convincing. The characters are relatable and the settings are just marvellously described.

I am not used to reading such long books, but with this one I felt time, and pages, fly!

This is a novel that should be read by adults and lovers of elaborate stories.
Profile Image for Aneley Sánchez.
398 reviews4 followers
Interesting sci-fi story.
The Etlu Games by C. E. Allan is the first book in The Gods of Nibiru series. It is a great sci-fi novel in which we follow the life of Tianna Collins, a twenty-year-old girl who has been hidden for fourteen years. She will discover many secrets about her past and a prophecy that could determine the future of the world.
The story is powerful and intense from beginning to end. It is also written with an incredible level of details and it shows the great ability of the author to draw scenes with words. The plot is complex and needs to be read carefully but it is not a problem because it's very interesting and engaged me completely.
Profile Image for Carol M..
246 reviews1 follower
August 1, 2021
Gifted author C.E. Allan has introduced a promising action-packed series. The Eltu Games is a must-read novel that revolves around twenty-year-old Tianna who discovers some awful truth that will have a far-reaching and detrimental effect on her, putting her life at risk. This is a thrilling novel that is impossible to put down. There are many suspense scenes and there are some unexpected turns I really liked. It's a fast-paced adventure novel. The descriptions are incredibly vivid and the scenes are really well depicted. I can’t wait to read the second book of The Gods of Nibiru series. Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Dani Savante.
455 reviews9 followers
August 1, 2021
This is the first book in the series “The Gods of Nibiru”. I enjoyed it a lot and I cannot wait to read the second part. Science fiction and adventure give essence to the plot in this interesting and well-written novel.
Between the past and the future, the protagonist of this story discovers some secrets that will take her to change her reality. Her life takes some twists and turns she would have never imagined. Her present becomes extremely important and she has to make a decision trying to pick the best option.
This is the beginning of a story that is perfect for any sci-fi and fantasy lover. I recommend it to young and old alike.
Profile Image for Brenda.
598 reviews11 followers
August 2, 2021
This book narrates the life and journey of Tianna Collins and all the twists and turns she faced to discover who she really was and what had happened with her parents. I think the novel "The Eltu Games" starts off with a beautiful and captivating story that the reader will want to follow and know more about.

Author C. E. Allan created very colorful characters that make the plot really interesting. Any reader who enjoys a good sci-fi book. Will definitely like this one.

To sum up, I think "The Eltu Games" is a great book and without a doubt, I'll be on the hunt for part two.
1 review
August 4, 2021
I read this book a few years ago and was really surprised with how I got so invested in the story, from chapter 1 I was a fish on a hook. I am now listening to the audiobook and I forgot how amazing and complex this story and it’s characters are. The author chose the perfect reader who really brings this story to life, it’s like watching an action packed series in your mind. If you haven’t listened to the audio book on audible I would highly recommend it. You won’t want to stop listening after chapter 1.
Profile Image for Grady.
Author 50 books400 followers
August 28, 2015
`We took care of her afterwards. One clean shot in-between her eyes.'

New Jersey author C.E. Allan was born in London, England. He studied Clinical Hypnosis and his passion is for adult, high action-adventure, fantasy, sci-fi novels have brought him to the point of writing his dreams. THE ANCIENT ONES is his debut novel. From the `quick facts' he offers such quips as the fact that he is `caffeine dependant organism' and a proud Nerd/Geek. He also seems to have a terrific sense of humor!

Before Allan's writing begins he places the following before our eyes: `I am Enki! They stand before me, praising me. Enki, the lord of the destinies. I am the first born of Anu. I am a great storm rising over the great earth, I am the great lord of the land. I am the principal among all rulers, the father of all the foreign lands. I am the big brother of the gods, I bring prosperity to perfection. I am the seal-keeper of heaven and earth. I am the wisdom and understanding of all the foreign lands. - Sumerian Tablets, 4000 B.C.' He then opens his story with a Prologue in 1998 in Paris, France - so many characters and events that remaining in orbit is a challenge. An example (and an important indication of the style of writing and references to what lies ahead): `He entered the chateau and was able to feel the presence of High Lord Daemonium, which made him lose control of his body. His heart started to beat rapidly, his breathing became short, his legs, and his hands trembled, his palms became clammy, and his stomach did summersaults and flips continually. Every footstep seemed to echo, as he walked towards the presence. The door to the grand living room was open. Inside he could hear crying. Adrianna, Tianna. Collins ran inside, to see Tianna lying unconscious on the white marble floor, her small face in a pool of blood. Collins collapsed to his knees noticing the blood coming from her mouth. Standing by her was the High Lord, the most formidable being he had ever seen. He looked like a giant, standing as tall as the ceiling. His muscular frame was monstrous. There were scars over his knuckles. He wore what looked like black armor with intricate ancient gold patterns underneath a dark purple royal robe with the same embellishments. His eyes looked as black as coal underneath his hood, his black beard falling to his chest. High Lord Daemonium removed his hood, looking down at Collins. His black eyes became green. At the other end of the room Collins saw Adrianna naked, curled in a ball, shaking uncontrollably. Blood was smeared on her face, her arms, and her legs.'

The past has been established on several levels now and we are 14 years later in Venefica Academy, Eden, and gradually Allan unwinds his coiled story, as he states in his synopsis: 'Learning the truth about your past and your destiny can be more daunting than living in ignorance. Maybe that's why people say ignorance is bliss...This is something twenty-year-old Sara Fuller quickly learns after she reunites with Niobe Freeman, after being in hiding for fourteen years. Niobe holds the secrets to a past she cannot remember and offers her the keys to a future where Sara can live the life she wants to live. When Sara inherits everything that is hers and lives the life she had always dreamt of, the unspeakable powers that turned her world upside down discover that she's still alive. Sara discovers the dreadful truth about her parents deaths and a prophecy that will determine the very fate of the planet. Sara's only hope of saving our world is to fulfill the inconceivable plan Niobe has set before her. Can Sara overcome her greatest fears to achieve the impossible? Can she accept the truth of her fate?' And as with all fine science fiction fantasy writing Allan ends his story with a revelation well worth the wait.

C.E. Allan has the makings of a fine writer. His novel is very long and overly complex but his ideas are solid and his language is rich. It will be interesting to follow his journey in to this rarefied field.
Profile Image for Natasa.
364 reviews21 followers
September 4, 2015
I can't even express how much I loved this book.

This scifi heavy on fantasy story was so original, if possible I'd give it more stars.

The creation of the order of Lumias, the 3 realms Ki (Earth), Eden & Agharta-all totally different with their unbelievable life form diversity, so many interesting intelligent beings, demons all different, kishpu a technique of healing, self healing, firing balls of light, seeing the world as it is on it's subatomic level and manipulation with matter, disguise to look as other beings, teleportation, lucid deaming, astral projection and so much more is kishpu! Fighters, sparring, different orders in different races and cultures...
The ancient ones - we barely scratched the surface on this topic, but they are the reason a lot of everything exists.
There is more and more and more, this book was never boring in the creation of this world.

More importantly Tianna, the main character was so interesting to follow her progress and development into the Illat especilly after all as the prophecy said, I really got attached ...the book ended just too soon for me :(

I have read the authors profile here on Goodreads and I love it.
The heavy words he used to described himself are thrilling for me as I'm expanding my vocabulary and knowledge this way - they have been in the book as well but not too much.

I really hope that this is a start of a series as I saw someone said this in one of the reviews since I believe there so much more to have it happenning...like will the Illat fulfill what the prophecy says, will we learn more about the ancient ones especially the Grand Lord and Lord Deamonium, what about Project M and it's horrible creations...the way it ended kind of abrupt but still with a satisfying end for Tianna who got her wish fulfilled to finally be Tianna to the world, leaves me thinking there will be more, there has to be :)
I will be happy as a pig to read the sequel if there is going to be one.

The writing style was a tiny bit strange and lacking something, not sure I knoþaw how to describe it, but I loved every word of it so I'm already regretting for even mentioning this as I want everyone to read this book and support this author to give us more awesome reads.

I totally recommend this book to anyone who wants an amazing book ride :)

I can't believe how lucky I was to decide to read this book only because I liked the title and cover when I decided to read another freebie from Amazon, one of many I have...

Please do write more Mr. author :)
Profile Image for Kieran.
24 reviews2 followers
August 29, 2015
The opening to “The Ancient Ones��� is rather curious, but it is sure to hook just about any reader. Our protagonist, Joseph, becomes witness to several murders within the very opening pages of the book. His family is killed in front of him, but his daughter is mercifully spared for another fourteen years. We eventually find her attending school after this time has passed, but we are left wondering whether she is going to seek revenge and how she will go about it. Between Joseph’s daughter and Joseph himself, it is not long before the story takes on a very unexpected air of complexity.

It may sound as if “The Ancient Ones” is a run-of-the-mill revenge tale, but that really isn’t the case. There’s nothing run-of-the-mill about it. From the very first chapter, certain story elements such as the villainous High Lord Daemonium make it very clear that this book’s sci-fi elements are highly influenced by religious elements. But to call this an updated take on the common religious thriller would be an oversimplification. This book takes its own style, establishing a highly detailed and intriguing world of science fiction that is greatly worth exploring.

It should be stated that Joseph does not remain the main character for very long. There is a shift in the second chapter that adds a bit of interest to the book’s storyline, and makes the reader wonder where things are going to go from here. Joseph’s daughter quickly becomes the main character and is thrust into a harrowing journey based on her complicated past. The book stands alone, but it seems as if it could easily be part of a longer series. With themes that pit the young protagonist against her greatest fears, it is easy to wonder whether or not the author will explore these themes again in future works. Readers will not be forced to read a sequel in order to finish the storyline, which is rare in today’s world of planned trilogies and episodic series. Nonetheless, you will likely finish this book while wanting nothing more than to explore this brilliant world even further.
Profile Image for Phil Bolos.
77 reviews
August 29, 2015
1998: Paris, France. Joseph Collins is forced to rush home after receiving a disturbing phone call. When he returns home, he finds the guards around his family’s home slaughtered in the most gruesome way. Inside, he finds his family being held hostage by High Lord Daemonium. To say the high lord is a demon is to put it mildly: the creature is the essence of evil and is capable to horrifying destruction. Before his eyes, Collins is forced to watch as his family is butchered. In his last moments, Collins wonders why Niobe, the warrior charged with protecting his daughter, did not save from this horrible fate. Years later Tianna, Joseph Collins’s daughter, is living on a distant planet and attending school. When she learns that Niobe is once again returning to see her, she is thrilled. When Niobe arrives, she embraces Tianna and tells her that she is going to uncover the truth of her family’s murder. Unfortunately, when she reaches out to others for help Niobe reveals that Tianna is still alive. The news spreads quickly and soon Niobe is on the run again from armies and monsters seeking to finish the job that was started in Paris so long ago.
The Ancient Ones: The Prophecy of the Ilat by C. E. Allen plunges the reader into a world of different dimensions and far away worlds. Personally, this novel excited me because it mentions the planet Nibiru, which is famed as being a lost or phantom planet in our solar system. The novel progresses quickly and takes the reader through different dimensions and worlds very quickly. At times, the storyline is a challenge to follow as some characters are introduced quickly and vanish just as fast. However, overall the story moved well and is enjoyable. For a debut novel, The Ancient Ones is an excellent offering.
Profile Image for John.
68 reviews28 followers
August 28, 2015
Sara and Niobe make for a compelling duo in this unexpectedly complex sci-fi and fantasy novel that takes us through time, space, and to different realms of existence that I never saw coming. I love when the real world manages to cross over with fantasy realms, and it makes for very exciting reading, I must say. I also like the Bildungsroman style of this novel, as Sara is forced to gradually come to terms with her destiny. In essence, we learn about her life at the same rate as she does, allowing us to experience the action and excitement along with her. There was more suspense and tension in this novel than I normally expect from a fantasy novel, and Niobe's slight mystery that pervaded the story kept me guessing about what sort of larger role she would play. The only reason that I gave this 4 stars, rather than 5, is that I think Allan may have actually tried to do too much with the story, and it did get a bit confusing at times. I think that with a bit more outlining and a bit of a critical edit, it could have been a bit more....palatable for some readers that may not be as used to the complex worlds of fantasy and sci-fi. At some points, it almost felt like Allan lost the plot a bit, but by the impressive conclusion, things had definitely wrapped up nicely. I hate to be critical of such an enjoyable and well-executed novel, but I will certainly seek out more writing by this author.
36 reviews2 followers
September 1, 2015
My “Prophecy” is that you will enjoy this book! @badwordplay

The plot to The Ancient Ones: Prophecy of the Ilat is a complicated one. It centers around Sara Fuller, who is more than she seems. She is in fact Tianna Collins, but at a very young age, after her parents were murdered, she was whisked away from her old life, to one that is much safer. Or so she thought. Her dreams of going back to that world, becoming a lumia, and avenging her parents deaths, become much closer to reality, when Niobe Freeman comes back into her life. Niobe brings Sara information, and a plan to help Sara reclaim the life that she has lost, and save the world while she’s at it. You know, normal everyday stuff.

The Ancient Ones: Prophecy of the Ilat is a very interesting read. It is a complex story, filled with familiar sci-fi and fantasy tropes, while at the same time throwing in some fresh ideas and twists into the mix. Adding into the sci-fi/fantasy ideas, there are also elements of Earth’s mythology, “alien life” theories and origins, and also political intrigue. What is really impressive is that the author manages to combine all of these different storytelling styles into one cohesive and enthralling read.

This is not your average sci-fi book. It is a little too complex at times, and occasionally gets bogged down in it’s own story now and then. But if you give it a chance, I believe that you will find that it is worth the time commitment.
Profile Image for Veritas Vincit.
66 reviews10 followers
August 28, 2015
I haven't read as complex a sci-fi/fantasy novel as The Ancient Ones in quite a while. I was initially daunted by the length, and also by the vague plot description that didn't give me much to go on in terms of content or quality. However, once I started slugging through it, I became immersed, as so often happens with good fantasy literature. I didn't quite understand how Sara was going to connect with ancient Sumerian tablets, otherworldly god-like beings, or the fate of the entire world, but I trusted that Allan knew where the story was going and went along for the ride. The story, like most great fantasy novels, hinged on a single character - Sara, and as she discovered the past she had never understood, the plot really began to speed up.

Niobe makes a good sidekick/foil for Sara and guides her along the way, but at times, the story felt a bit too.....disjointed, and there were quite a few sections that were so heavily packed with various names and people that never appeared again, it was almost like reading Proust, except with magic.....However, the rich worlds that Allan created were impressively detailed and perfect for fantasy lovers who enjoy the complex backstories that give a fantasy land some depth and weight. Fans of R.R. Martin and Tolkien would love this book, and to be honest, so did I!
Profile Image for Cheri Roan .
112 reviews4 followers
Complex Sci-Fi, Fantasy Adventure That Is Refreshing And Entertaining

It’s been fourteen years since Tianna’s parents’ wealthy businessman Joseph Collins and his wife Adrianna, were murdered in their chateau by High Lord Daemonium. Everyone assumes that young Tianna’s life was taken too; at least that is what was reported. However Niobe, who was placed in the home as her protector rescues her, hiding her away at Venefica Academy under the assumed name of Sara Fuller till the day it will be safe to return. Here Tianna desires to become a lumia – one of the elite female warriors and dreams of the day Niobe will come and retrieve her and no longer will have to live in hiding from the dark enemies that want her dead. The day has come as promised as Niobe returns for Tianna so she can fulfill her destiny, although Tianna and Niobe soon learn the circle of enemies has enlarged as ones once thought as allies are now enemies..

I found this to be a powerfully exciting, fast-paced novel that had me captivated from page one. The characters were multi-faceted making this a truly remarkable read. Allan has created a unique sci-fi, fantasy adventure that goes deeper with a complex plot that readers will not only find compellingly refreshing but wonderfully entertaining.

Profile Image for Marta Tandori.
Author 10 books70 followers
August 28, 2015
In many ways, The Ancient Ones by C.E. Allan is a great book. The author’s taken pains to create a wonderful alternate world that holds many secrets and his wonderful imagination makes the book a treat for lovers of sci-fi and fantasy. There are complex characters who add to the storyline and the main protagonist, Sara, is both feisty and utterly likeable. Niobe guides Sara on her journey of self-discovery and has just the right amount of mystique to keep the reader’s curiosity piqued. Having said all of the above, The Ancient Ones also requires a ruthless and professional edit to correct not only the countless typos and errors in grammar and punctuation but also to weed through the many extra characters that seem to have no real purpose as they do not move the storyline forward. At 476 pages, the book is longer than it needs to be and some serious editing will serve to tighten a storyline which seems to lose momentum in several places. There are many wonderful aspects to the book and Allan’s rich imagination has created a story of real substance and it should be these elements that the readers remember about the book – not the typos and other grammatical deficiencies.
Profile Image for Leslie OBrien.
628 reviews7 followers
August 28, 2015
“The Ancient Ones” is the debut novel for C.E. Allan and it is as complex as it is rich. Balancing the line between science fiction and fantasy, Allan introduces us to Sara Fuller, who has spent the past fourteen years in hiding and has now been thrust into a world where factions want her dead and she has no idea why. She can’t remember her past and while her present is unfolding before her with a richness that she has only dreamt about, her life quickly starts to unravel, as she finds out who her friends are and who wants her dead (and why).

This is a dense story. It’s packed with details and a richness of language that requires the reader to pay attention or get left behind. I found that there were sections that I had to go back and read more than once because I had missed an important detail that affected the content for me.

If you are looking for a quick read, then this is not the book for you. However, if you are looking for a novel that will take you down the dangerous path of saving the world, then this may be just the read for you.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.