Start by marking “Vlucht van de nachtraven (saga van de duistere oorlog, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vlucht van de nachtraven (saga van de duistere oorlog, #1)

Vlucht van de nachtraven

(The Darkwar Saga #1)

De vlucht van de nachtraven begint twee jaar na de gebeurtenissen in De terugkeer van de banneling. Puc, de machtigste magiër die ooit leefde, ondergaat een nachtmerrie waarin hij opnieuw de storm beleeft waarmee magiër vele jaren geleden zo aangrijpend begon.

Deze keer weet Puc niet aan het ziedend stormgeweld te ontkomen. In plaats daarvan wordt hij overspoeld door een im
ebook
Published by Luitingh (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Vlucht van de nachtraven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vlucht van de nachtraven

Sotiris Karaiskos
The first thing I understood by reading the first part of this trilogy is that the author when he was writing this book did not had many fresh ideas to get it started. The beginning of history takes us to a peaceful place where two young men without having anything specific to do finally leave to engage in an espionage case, just when is ascertained that a great evil threatens the universe. Of course, all of this reminds us something, but better to go further because things are getting more inte ...more
William Collins
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was actually the first Feist book I've read and I think it serves as a great introduction to anyone who also hadn't read his other works.

Nighthawks still remains one of my favourite Feist books too.
Sud666
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Feist's Darkwar Saga is starting out better than his Riftwar.

So it is set in the future. Pug is now old and his first wife, whom I liked, is gone and he has married the annoying shrew Miranda for some reason. But the true story is about his sons now- Caleb, a non-magical boy, and his brother Magnus, a powerful magus.

In the Kesh Empire something strange is happening. Nobles are being killed off and there are rumors of a secret group operating out of the shadows. The story revolves around Pug and
Matthew Green
Flight of the Nighthawks has a good narrative that flows rather nicely. However, the plotline is one of Feist's weaker works, resulting in a somewhat meandering and, in the end, cliched style.

The book begins focusing on the two boys, Tad and Zane, though somewhere along the line, Feist seemed to forget about them, leaving me wondering why he introduced them in the first place. Identifying a main character toward the end seemed rather difficult as it seemed to be spread out over numerous characte
Jamie
Aug 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Raymond Feist is really phoning it in here. Feist is one of my guilty pleasures as far as books go, and only one of two high fantasy authors I read everything from any more (the other one being George R. R. Martin). That may have to change, though.

Flight of the Nighthawks really isn't all that well written, what with half the characters using idioms straight out of the 20th century and with clumsy and distracting phrasing that any editor should have been able to catch. It seems pretty clear
Edwin
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy, e-books
Dit verhaal speelt verder in de toekomst dan 'De oorlog van de grote scheuring'. Puc is ouder geworden, en zijn eerste vrouw is al lang geleden overleden. Hij is nu getrouwd met Miranda, de dochter van Macros. De hoofdrollen zijn echter vooral weggelegd voor hun zonen, Magus, een grote magiër, en Caleb, die geen magische geven heeft.

Er is iets vreemds aan de hand in Kesh. Nobelen worden er vermoord, en er gaan geruchten over een groep mensen die zich in de schaduw ophouden. Puc en zijn twee zoon
Emilee Powell
Since it reads a bit like an extended synapses of every other book the author has ever written, I am forestalling definitive judgement until I read his first book (or possibly books.) However, since the author's focus seems to be equally divided between the books plot and his past accomplishments, it's quite likely my rating will go down.
Amendment: I was correct in my assumptions. This book is equal parts fan service "Hey remember when that character did that cool thing you liked," intermixed wi
Stephen Sims
Mar 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
And the honour of my first 1 star review goes to.... this book.... something about Nighthawks... not really sure who they are still.

1.5 stars really...Blimey... 400 pages....250 pages of pointless nothingness at the front end... introducing 500 characters and half explaining nothing... followed by 90 pages and hinting something might happen...50 pages of action before the end followed by 10 pages setting up the sequel (why bother, I’m certainly not going to read it)

Every fantasy cliche and the m
Shivesh
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
An inauspicious start to this trilogy... Feist has this down to a formula, with strict ingredients and instructions. A standard trilogy starter, with cardboard characters and a generic plot. Pug, Miranda, Nakor and Tomas take their usual turns in this fantasy, without much reminding us of why we liked them to begin with. Leso Varen, the mad mage from the previous trilogy, is back and madder than ever. This is a guy who can't die! Some cheap theatrics and poorly written intrigue with the court of ...more
Plesz Roland
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sok dolgot nemértettem ezzel a könyvel kapcsolatban. De volt benne tipikus kiképzés, világbemutatás... mondjuk leso varen továbbra is csapnivaló főgonosz. Nagyon gondolkozom a három és a négy pont között; végül négy pontot fog kapni, de csak mert Feist...
Bryan Stevenson
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I heard about Feist and picked this book up from the library on a whim. I think I made it halfway through. The two main characters were nondescript place holders or moving scenery. No depth. I couldn't tell them apart and I kept forgetting their names. The magic didn't make any sense. There were aliens and kingdoms and a myriad of obscure references. Maybe I need to start at the beginning of his world building, but as the first book in a new series I would expect a better explanation about what ...more
Prudence
a good start to a new series- good setup for the next novel.

was not enthralled with new characters (tad and zane) but loved the fact that pug and nakor have some "screen time" after being largely distant from feist novels for a while

this is not a series that somebody fresh to feist world can pick up- alot of references to previous books and characters.

I also dislike the use of Varen, he had his moments but hopefully will be pushed aside for the dasati
Gavin
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Three things. First, someone should rewrite the preface. This isn't really a story of brothers or assassins. It's more politics and sorcery. Second, this book is alright. It's nothing great, but narration flows nicely and the anticipation to the climax is steady. Third, as warning, as I found out, this book is the first of a saga, but is not something brand new. There are more works, more story already built into the world this story takes place in.
Blake
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite fantasy author of all time. It's just a joy to read his work, as he continues the story of Pug, and totally keeps you hanging on by having Pug, many books ago, told everyone around him, his loved ones, would die. Amazing character development.
Thomas Arvanitis
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5 stars really. A breezy read, interesting without being overly deep. Quite enjoyable, but with many, many jarring typos. The editor of this edition was asleep at the wheel.
Brooke Carter
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Down to Great Kesh we go again. Which is great because the last time I remember was 12 books ago. I LOVED the first chapter of this. Hopefully without spoiling too much, it’s a recreation of the previous part of the series, and I really enjoyed reading it.

This book delves a bit more into Pug’s family, which I like as I felt Magnus and Caleb sort of just appeared one book, and I don’t know very well. Which is sad considering this world has so many books.

A few new characters are not particularly i
Angela
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have been Buddy-Reading this series over the last couple of months with a ‘book-club’ friend who had not read Raymond E. Feist’s work before. As I have been a long-time fan of his work, I have compared it to The Lord of the Rings books but have actually enjoyed this series more. When I mentioned this to my friend, she immediately wanted to read the series, and convinced me to read them with her- not that it was a big ask 😊.
It is an epic action-packed fantasy saga- with wonderful world buildin
Matthew Ciccone
I finished reading this book about a year ago, and I enjoyed it, but, in retrospect, I don't understand why.
So many random things happen in the book, the two main characters seem forced and are completely uninteresting, and the world that the book is set in is basically the most cliché thing ever (view spoiler)
Martin Chalupa
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book has a pretty good story. I wasn't blown away but I enjoyed meeting all old characters. The story was still quite fast paced with minimum moments when Pug and Nakor ponder about a philosophy of magic. Unfortunately, the stories are becoming a bit repetitive. They are not completely the same but you can recognize the pattern. You can then predict where the direction of the story is heading and you are not as surprised as you should be. I'm Midkemia fan so I don't regret my time with the ...more
Paul
It's been a while since I've visited the worlds of Feist. His books continue on his established history, with characters ageing and dying (or both) and others coming and going from the narrative. This one was interesting as it seemed to flesh out the Empire of Great Kesh a little more and gave an insight into its politics. Yet at the same time it seemed very pedestrian, like Feist is going through the motions without having any real inspiration.

Not a bad opening number for a trilogy but not part
Gareth
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly more 4.5 stars, but a strong book nonetheless. Starts of slowly, but allows us to learn more about Caleb, what drives him and about those dear to him. Then it shifts gear as the nighthawks come into the picture, as a fair bit of politics, subterfuge and assassinations draw the protagonists in, until after an interesting twist it ends with a major and spectacular confrontation with the antagonist, while leaving plenty of questions open for the next book. The last third of the book was a ...more
Callie Pickering
I only managed to get to page 258 before I truly stopped caring. I'm counting this as finished. This writing style doesn't work for me, and to be honest, I couldn't care less about the characters.

Dont get me wrong, its not awful, I did manage to get over half way. But then I put it down one day and its been months since I even bothered to pick it back up. I tried again tonight and I just don't care enough to keep trying.
Rolaka Pisarka
Znowu kolejny zawód. Książka nie jest źle napisana, ale:
1. nie wiem do czego dąży
2. bohaterowie są jakoś tak nijacy. Niby ich jest dwójka, a nie potrafię ich rozróżniać po charakterze. To jest jedna i ta sama osoba. W zasadzie mogła to by być jedna osoba, jeden bohater, a nie niepotrzebna dwójka!
Nie mniej, fajnie się zapowiadało, ale wyszło tak... średnio...
Jan
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Quite like this one, though it does feel a bit rushed at times.

We spend a lot of time with Caleb (Pug's son) and his adopted sons Tad and Zane investing the doing's of Leso Varen in Kesh, where he is hiding after the fall of Olasko.

We also get introduced to Ralan Bek, one of the more interesting characters (and a rather important one), nicely stepping up the next few books
gloria marquardt
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a fan of Pug this book is carrying on the tradition of good stories.

A great new fantasy series. All the references to previous books slowed it down a bit and I read those books. But if you ignored those passages the story was great and Pug is always a winner. Caleb adopting 3 boys and getting married was a bonus.
Katrina Evans
It's been a fair few years since I last spent time with Pug and the gang so it took a little bit of time to remember who was who.

This particular book isn't a shining example of fantasy, nor is it a stand out performer within the Magician series but it's a familiar, fast-paced, enjoyable story nonetheless.

Peat
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm inclined to suspect this was when Feist stopped returning his editor's phone calls. The book is disjointed and takes in too much. It feels like a live album where the band were too drunk to remember how their greatest hits went.
Brandee
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler****

I enjoyed this book, however, it was a bit disappointing to realize that the writing took the turn of "I just don't want to get rid of the bad guy yet". I love the characters however, so I will continue the series.
Zoe
still enjoying this series.
Craig
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book picked up towards the end, but for much of it, it felt like Feist was mailing it in. It's the first of a trilogy, so we will see how it plays out. It was okay, could have been better.
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master: The Great One
  • The Silver Mage (Deverry, #15; The Dragon Mage, #7)
  • Stormrider (The Rigante, #4)
  • Wellspring of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #12)
  • The Shining Ones (The Tamuli, #2)
  • Tanequil (High Druid of Shannara, #2)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)
  • The Dragon King (Crimson Shadow, #3)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more

The Darkwar Saga (3 books)
  • Into a Dark Realm (The Darkwar Saga, #2)
  • Wrath of a Mad God (The Darkwar Saga, #3)
“A small bad intention is often far more easily believed than a big one, Magnificence” 0 likes
“My father, an occasionally wise man, once said that we were blessed only when the gods remained ignorant of us.” 0 likes