Start by marking “Humor That Works: The Missing Skill for Success and Happiness at Work” as Want to Read:
Humor That Works: The Missing Skill for Success and Happiness at Work

Humor That Works: The Missing Skill for Success and Happiness at Work

If you want to increase team productivity, relieve stress, and be happier at work, you could hire a bunch of workplace consultants, invest in scream therapy, and put Pharrell Williams on repeat—or you could just read Humor That Works.

Written by Andrew Tarvin, the world’s first Humor Engineer, this a business book on humor. No, that’s not an oxymoron. It really is a
Published April 1st 2019 by Page Two

To ask other readers questions about Humor That Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humor That Works

Start your review of Humor That Works: The Missing Skill for Success and Happiness at Work
Teena in Toronto
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I like reading "business books" and the fact that this one was based on humor that works made it even more interesting to me.

The author has a degree in computer science and engineering. He started his career at Proctor & Gamble as an IT project manager. With experience in improv, he realized that people are more likely to do something if it was fun so he started adding humor to his presentations, email and started an internal blog. A few years later, he left P&G to become the world's
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book that Every Employee and Manager/Leader Should Read

Over my working life, I have read a wide variety of business books. I have to say that this is one of the most unusual ones I’ve read, but in a good way! It is a surprising combination of topics—humor and business—and this intrigued me when I saw it at my favorite book review site. The book is a great read, but do not expect any sort of dry, boring business book here. The author has made it delightfully humorous but still
raman
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a humor book, a business book (that has humor...and heart)

Before reading this book, I'd seen Andrew speak at a # of companies I've worked - from multi-million dollar enterprises to fast-growing startups). His new book is the perfect encapsulation of his life's work, approach, and philosophy - how to be happier, and more productive at the place we spend 1/3 of our lives.

If you've met Andrew, heard of him, or seen him speak, this book is for you. If not, this book is great too, probably better
Michael MacDonald
Practical Positive Psychology

Andrew Tarvin does an excellent job presenting the joys of humour in the workplace. Not only does he make sound arguments for why, he takes a step further and shows us how.

He makes these ideas so accessible and relatable that it’s going to be hard not to apply these principles even unconsciously. It’ll be as easy as sipping milkshakes while watching Encino Man for the 100th time.

The thing I admired most is how Andrew (Drew) manages to draw upon the realm of
Steve
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun read on incorporating humor into work

I enjoyed this book. Not surprisingly, Andrew Tarvin writes with a great sense of humor and in a conversational tone. I didn’t find him dogmatic in his common-sense approach. This is the second humor book I’ve read recently. The other one, “You Can Be Funny and Make People Laugh” by GG Peart, was also an interesting read but focussed more on how to be funny in conversation. That book itself wasn’t funny. Tarvin’s book is funnier, including the footnotes.
Jessi
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I've been on a business reading kick for awhile. This book was an interesting difference. It's not the straight-up here's-how-to-work-better or a here's-how-to-manage-people book or here's-how-to-find-yourself-the-best-kind-of-job book. Instead, it's a look at how you can inject humor into the workplace from the world's first (self-proclaimed) humor engineer. His thoughts are that humor (the right kind of humor) can make a bad situation more bearable.
I wish there had been some more scientific
Nick
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally, a funny engineer! Drew Tarvin is an engineer and he has written a funny book about being humorous at work. So, ergo, he must be a funny engineer! Do we really need to prove that humor helps at work? Sadly, we do. The world took a dark turn, somewhere around the millennium, and it hasn't been as joyous since. Drew is on a one-man funny mission to bring back the joy. Buy the book. Learn the funny. Make the world better.
Jeffd134
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I know I am biased, having worked with Drew. But, I consider it a must-have for survival in the modern workplace (and, frankly, everywhere else). Whether one is leading or following or staying afloat, Drew has tips for becoming more effective by employing humor strategically. Entertaining and informative!
Farouk Bassa
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To much why. Not enough how

Didn't learn much on the how of humor.
Some very good tips on conversational strategies. Hence the 4 stars
Good for people who think humour is unnecessary in the workplace
Gary Ware
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want a tool to make you a better leader?

Pick up this book! I was so impressed by Andrew’s wealth of knowledge on humor and how to easily apply it to the workplace. This is the type of book that you keep at an arms reach so you can reference it often.
Ryan
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! It gave me a ton to think about with regards to the way I approach my career. I’m very excited to share these tips with the people I work with. I’ll be recommending it to all of my colleagues as well.
Elizabeth McCourt
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, practical and validating that humor can really build connection. The grandma wisdom still has me laughing!
Heather Bennett
Humor That Works is a interesting book that reminds us of we have some fun at what we do that it can change our perspective. I enjoyed the writing style and the author's ideas.
Weijian Cheng
Barry
May 05, 2019
G. Darnell
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on prostate health I've ever read

Actually there were only minor references to prostate health. To be totally honest there were zero prostate health references. But it is an excellent book on practical ways that humor can make your life and work better. Well done, Drew! Looking forward to your next book . . . on prostate health.
Marcin May
Hilary Billings
Apr 05, 2019
Darya
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This the first time I come across a business book about humor. Very interesting concepts and researches. I truly believe that humor is an essential part of our life otherwise the world would be boring and we would be in the way to become simply robots! The author provides multiple ways of applying humor in different business and life situations. Sometimes it is an interesting approach like in the example of quoting Shakespeare in different business situations. Humor definitely helps to look at ...more
Apr 03, 2019
Caitlin C Schulte
Jul 25, 2019

• Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers Matters Now More Than Ever
  • Reinforcements: How to Get People to Help You
  • The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)
  • Klaus
  • Father Christmas and Me (Christmas, #3)
  • When Death Becomes Life: Notes from a Transplant Surgeon
  • Galileo: And the Science Deniers
  • Hollywood North: A Novel in Six Reels
  • Your Brain, Explained: What Neuroscience Reveals About Your Brain and its Quirks
  • Terrible Lizard: A Memoir of My Time in the Police Dinosaur Unit
  • Mind Mapping: Simple Step by Step Method to Radically Improve Your Memory, Concentration, Creativity, Time Management, Communication, Study Habits and Work Habits
  • Fifteen Letters (Khamsata 'Ashara Maktuban)
  • Reality Transurfing 1: The Space of Variations (Reality Transurfing Series)
  • The Art of Discworld
  • The Trouble With Hedge Witches Series Bundle: Dark Fairy Tales of Magic and Mystery (Womby's School for Wayward Witches Series Bundle Book 5)
  • Always Greener
  • Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
Andrew Tarvin is obsessed with efficiency. In fact, that's why he goes by Drew Tarvin, it's more efficient. As the world's first humor engineer, he teaches people how to get better results while having more fun. Combining his background as a project manager at Procter & Gamble with his experience as a stand-up comedian, he reverse-engineers the skill of humor in a way that is practical, ...more