Start by marking “One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)” as Want to Read:
One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)

One of Us Is Next

(One of Us is Lying #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  15,305 ratings  ·  2,537 reviews
The highly anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestselling thriller everyone is talking about, One of Us Is Lying! There's a new mystery to solve at Bayview High, and there's a whole new set of rules.

Come on, Bayview, you know you've missed this.

A ton of copycat gossip apps have popped up since Simon died, but in the year since the Bayview four were cleared of his
Published January 7th 2020 by Delacorte Press for Young Readers

·  15,305 ratings  ·  2,537 reviews

Start your review of One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
Karen McManus
Aug 13, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
ETA: I hope you all enjoy going back to Bayview!

***

We'll get a title and description up here eventually :)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was a solid sequel! I really appreciate the work Karen M. McManus does in fleshing out each of her characters. She makes sure we get to know every single one of them & understand them. On top of that, she does a great job of providing a surprising plot. I like the fact that it doesn't just end with the explosive point the story reaches and that we get a bit of cushion at the end to see the aftermath of everything. All in all, I really enjoyed this book.
Chaima ✨ شيماء
A deadly game of Truth or Dare? [slams fist on table] THAT'S THE KIND OF SHIT I LIKE TO SEE
Sabaa Tahir
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Guys, I've gotten pretty old and grumpy in my reading. There's just a point at which you've read so much you feel like nothing is surprising anymore. I had just put down a very blah book when I picked up this one, and thank goodness I did pick it up because it was a balm on my wounded, grouchy soul.

My absolute FAVORITE thing about Karen's books is that I know, going in, that I will be in excellent hands. I will be shocked. I will gasp. I will laugh. I will cringe and yell at the characters. I
MischaS_
Jan 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
EDIT: So, I went on a little investigation. Based on the author's Twitter we already know:

- The main character will be Maeve, Bronwyns sister. Plus two new MCs.

- Bronwyn, Cooper, Addy & Nate aren't POV characters, but they're very much present.

- The author also dropped a list of five things we will see in the sequel:
(view spoiler)
jessica
to me, the thing that make thrillers thrilling is that they give the reader a sense of holy crap. this could happen to anyone. thats why they are so exciting to read, because of the realistic vibes that get your adrenaline pumping.

but this novel is so outside any realm of possibility, that it took me completely out of the story. its just too farfetched for me to even become invested. its just a massive eye-roll.

i mean, this has it moments (mainly in the form of nate and knox). and the writing
✨ A ✨
10/10 recommend reading this near a window, on a rainy day with a fluffy blanket and a cup of coffee.

description

Simon is gone. But there are people wanting to keep his legacy alive. Many gossip apps have sprung up trying to mimic his style, but all have failed.

Until someone starts something different. A game. Truth or dare. If you refuse the dare, then one of your darkest secrets gets exposed to the whole school.

Maeve, Phoebe and Knox were of the first people targeted and exposed to the school.

And as
Tucker
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tucker by: Penguin Teen
Come on, Bayview, you know youve missed this.

Holy sh*t. I completely forgot how talented at writing Karen M. McManus is. I mean Its been a few days since I finished this book and my mind is still reeling.

So, whats this book about?

Its been a year and a half since Simon died and in spite of the many copycat gossip apps, the Bayview four have moved on with their lives.
Cooper is openly gay and happily in love with his boyfriend, Chris.
Bronwyn and Nick are together (most of the time).
And
megs_bookrack
**4.5-stars rounded up**

It's been a year since Simon's tragic death and the twisted events of One of Us is Lying.

The Bayview Four have been cleared and for the most part, they have moved on with their lives, doing their best to put that traumatic period behind them.

For the kids remaining at Bayview however, those times are never far from their minds.

An assortment of gossip apps have popped up since then, trying to take Simon's place, but no one has the goods.

Until now...

A school wide text
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
YES! Our favorite Bayview teens are back & this time its 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐞 time. By now you should know what to do - 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘦!

Just when Bayview High was getting back to normal following Simon's death, an app appears on everyones phones initiating a game of 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐞. Dont even think about not playing - ignore your turn and a truth about you will come out, whether you like it or not. You know everyone at Bayview has something to hide and this new game master is more than ready to
Larry H
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
In One of Us is Next , a game of truth or dare causes massive chaos.

We return to Bayview High, the scene of Karen McManus explosive debut novel, One of Us is Lying . Time has passed since scandal and murder rocked the school, and everyone has (mostly) been able to put their lives back in order, except for those who still seek to cause chaos, either to avenge the last troublemaker or to one-up him.

And then one day an anonymous text appears on students phones, initiating a game of truth or dare.
Charlotte May
So pleased I enjoyed this!

Ok, so I adored One of Us is Lying. It was everything I wanted in a YA mystery, when I saw it was getting a sequel I didnt think it would work.

But I was pleasantly surprised!

Although the characters and events from book 1 are referenced and included, the storyline and new set of character is what powers this book and I was so glad for it!

We have Maeve, Bronwyns younger sister, her best friend Knox and their class mate Phoebe. They provide the basis for this story. When
C.G. Drews
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am utterly basking in the feels of having just finished a good book. BASKING. I tell you! The twists in this were so clever, so intricately woven, and getting to the end and discovering how many people's lives were tangled up together -- not to mention that circular finale!!! -- just had me in full appreciation of the story. This is just [clenches fist] a very good book.

(I admit that I didn't reread book 1 first, and I should have oops. But I didn't love it? Whilst I really loved this!? And I
claire
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The twist was good. It's just that you could already figured it all out halfway through the book. There's also a lot of unnecessary infos that stopped me from caring with all the characters. I also had a hard time reading with the multiple POVs.
Chelsea Humphrey
An easy, breezy, enjoyable listen. Binged this in a single day!
arini ☆彡
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 One of Us Is Lying 3 Stars
#2 One of Us Is Next 3.75 Stars

I came here looking for some Nate Macauley breadcrumbs but, ultimately, I stayed for all the juicy teenage deceit, malicious revenge plot, and thrilling murder mystery. While this book is not without its drawbacks, One of Us Is Next is actually pretty genius in its own right.

Heres a little advice for the next time we play: Always take the Dare.

Plot Summary :

The story picks up eighteen months or so later since the
Amy Imogene Reads

So this had some killer punches...including one VERY memorable one at the end. But that doesnt quite make up for the dead weight.

Concept: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★ 1/2
Villain(s)/Reveal(s): ★★★★

One of Us is Next is the sequel to McManus' explosive debut novel, One of Us is Lying. While technically you could read this one by itself, the amount of references to the first book are numerous enough that I would encourage readers to pick up the first one, well, first.

I was EXTREMELY excited for this
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
So we went from "Liar Liar Pants On Fire" right to "Truth Or Dare"?
Lovely!
I'm all in! ;-P
Sylvie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Great, a cliffhanger!
Now I have to wait three years for the next one.
Blake
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you book gods for answering my prayers
Kat | Rustic Pages
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4.5/5

I am so glad this was my first book of 2020! I loved seeing what all the characters from the first book are doing after high school and the new plot following the younger students and their new cyber bully was fantastic (though One of Us is Lying will forever be my favorite). I highly recommend to anyone looking for a new YA mystery series to start!

Find me on Booktube! youtube.com/c/rusticpages
Ashley Nuckles
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a great sequel! I loved the characters just as much as in the first book, and the plot gave me literal goosebumps at certain times. While I will say I actually liked the first one more, this one is still def a must read if you enjoyed book 1!
Sophia Triad
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-mafia, school
Back to Bayview!
This was excellent 😁

Back to Bayview for a game of Truth or Dare.

With new main players:

Maeve: Bronwyns sister from One of Us is Lying. She used to date Knox, but now they are just good friends. Something happened between them and they decided that they dont fit.

Knox: He has four older sister all with K names: Kiersten, Katie, Kelsey, and Kara.
Were like the Kardashians, except without any money.

Phoebe: Sister of Emma and little Owen. She has lost her dad from an accident at work
Susanne  Strong
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.85 Stars

Its Game Time, Friends! How do you feel about Truth or Dare?

Its been 18 months since what happened at Bayview High. Yet no one has forgotten Simon.

Things have been relatively quiet - till an anonymous text appears on every students phones alerting them to a new game of Truth or Dare - which simply cant be ignored. Once a student is chosen to play the game, they have a few hours to decide.

Once the texts start rolling out, Maeve (Bronwyns sister) starts investigating.

No one is safe
alana ♡
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery

The Bayview High teens are back, the gossip is juicy, and the games are getting deadly. Much like One of Us is Lying the audiobook of this was SO GOOD. I think from now on anytime Karen McManus comes out with a new release I'm automatically going to listen to the audio version of it. The only difference between the two audiobooks was that the first book had four narrators and this one had two but
Patty
Sep 11, 2018 marked it as 2020
IM SORRY. WHAT?!?!?!
Theress a sequel to One of Us Is Lying. MY HEART.

FUCK YEAAAAHHHHH!!
description

I would love if this was Maeves book!! Which would mean wed get more Bronwyn and Nate, right 👀?!? IM HERE FOR THIS EITHER WAY!
SHIRLEY ♡
May 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!

Im so ready for this book.
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
THAT ending holy fucking shit
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I was hoping Penguin NZ would give me to chance to read this novel as an arc - and they did! Just as good as a Christmas present! Thanks so much!

Love the Arc cover!

In spite of a few lulls (mostly near the start) I'm going with my overall feeling that this is a 5★ book. Once the story got going I was really engaged and as much as I loved One of Us Is Lying I preferred the character development for previous characters like Maeve and Bronwen in this sequel. I also found the main new characters

• A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Heartstream
  • Not Hungry
  • I, Cosmo
  • Monuments
  • I Am Not a Number
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Three Hours
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • Wildfire
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
Hi, and thanks for stopping by my Goodreads page! I don't visit this site often, so the best way to reach me is via my website at www.karenmcmanus.com, or on Twitter, where I'm @writerkmc.

------

Karen M. McManus is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of young adult thrillers, including One of Us Is Lying, Two Can Keep a Secret, and One of Us Is Next. Her work has been translated into more

One of Us is Lying (2 books)
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of y...
“How do you make that choice?" I ask almost to myself. "Between what you need and what you want?" I feel like my sister's going through her own version of that. Kris's eyes are on Cooper, too. "You hope they become the same thing, I guess.” 9 likes
“Who do you want to be? The guy who goes along or the guy who stands up? This is the time to decide.” 4 likes