Start by marking “Sentenced to Troll (Sentenced to Troll #1)” as Want to Read:
Sentenced to Troll (Sentenced to Troll #1)

Sentenced to Troll

(Sentenced to Troll #1)

Punished for his toxic online behavior, Chad faces a 30-day sentence of full-immersion therapy designed to improve his anger issues. For his endless trolling in real life, he's forced to play the most hated race in Isle of Mythos so that he can finally experience what it's like to be on the other side.
To make matters worse, the heroes sent to rid the world of evil aren't
Audible Audio, 10 pages
Published February 27th 2019

Start your review of Sentenced to Troll (Sentenced to Troll #1)
Gavin
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I bought this story on a whim because it had a super fun sounding blurb and I'm glad it did as it really lived up its fun sounding blurb by delivering a fun and engaging story. It actually ended up being one of the best LitRPG books I've read so far. The game world was good as was the experimental new tech that got our main character into that world and the story was engaging from start to finish. The lead character was genuinely likeable and the story had a good balance of action and adventure. ...more
Lukas Lovas
I didn't much like this one. It felt as if the author couldn't decide if he was writing a fantasy, or a litRPG. He's talking about levels one moment and about how some npc will be "scarred for the rest of her life" the next...
it creates a "seriously?!" sort of feeling in me, when the hero is wondering about the history and characters as if they were real rather than a game, while he is a "pro-gamer". If this was an attempt to make us see how realistic the game was to him, it failed miserably.

The
Freya Faust
2.5 stars, rounded up. Heavy on the male gaze from the beginning and it doesn't get better. So that's gross. Our hero is imprisoned for crimes of trolling, but he shows no trolling behavior in the early going, so if there was supposed to be a character arc there, it falls flat. The NPCs are distinct, but simple and one-note, which made it hard to care about them. The crunch of the game mechanics and the overall in-game plot save this story, tbh.
C. Gold
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
The whole idea of being punished by having to play a troll for being a troll immediately grabbed my interest and the story definitely didn’t disappoint. The world building was fairly traditional with a forest and trolls who live in there in buildings shaped by trees. But the extra attention to character development is where the story really shines. Not only do we get to watch the main character struggle with his own issues which led to his bad behavior in the first place, we get side characters ...more
Stan Dunn
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author had offered copies of the audiobook on a Facebook group and I was lucky enough to get one. I have voluntarily left this review.

Chad is a teenager, who like many has anger management issues and because of his toxic behavior, is sentenced to full-immersion therapy for 30 days in the Isle of Mythos as a Troll. Nominally, he has to fully experience what it is like to be hated. We follow Chad through a series of adventures until he finally is defending the Trolls in the city where he has
Heather
Chad is an aspiring pro gamer but his short temper and bullying manner keep him from the pro teams. When he goes too far in his bullying one day, he's arrested and charged with online griefing and faces up to a year in prison. Instead, he's sentenced to a month of full immersion rehab in a new game. The catch is that he'll be playing a troll, a hated race, and will face discrimination and hatred in an effort to teach him to treat people with respect.

The author made an interesting choice to make
Matthew Thibault
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
*** I RECIEVED THIS BOOK FOR FREE IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW ***

"A company is testing out a new full-dive video game before releasing it to the public. They recieve criminals to test on. A famous online gamer is sentenced to a month of the game for trolling. The sentence? To actually play as a troll, the race hated the most in the game world. How will he survive the month with everyone gunning for him?"

The plot was interesting. While I think it is a bit of a stretch for the main character
Clinton Stanturf
I picked this book up a few weeks ago when it was on sale thinking why not iv had it on my list to read for a while now but I was not in any kinda Rush to buy it or read it due solely on the simple fact that I've had not heard anything about the book or much about S.L Rowland but HOLYCRAP! I loved this book it's got lots of good battles with good attention to detail the author has amazing pacing with this book not too fast not too slow at the same time he also doesn't add unneeded Fluff. While t ...more
Shawn
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The protagonist is a young man who gets in trouble for severely trolling people during a video game stream, and instead of jail time he gets to test out a new fully immersive game but he has to play as a troll, the most hated species in said game’s world, in hopes of him seeing the error of his ways.

I’m still fairly new to the GameLit genre, only having read three different series at the point of reading this one, but already this didn’t have a lot of originality outside of the jail time aspect
Colin Rowlands
The idea of an online troll being sentenced to play as the unliked race in a new game was an interesting one, but the book didn't really use it for anything beyond getting the player into the game, right from the outset he was a likeable protagonist and only developed from there and his repeated behaviour in the real world was effectively hand-waved away as him basically being lonely and misunderstood rather than anything worse.

Thankfully, this approach didn't detract from the story as both it a
Chris Evans
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The setup for the story is really good. I could see a full immersion VR game being used exactly for this purpose some day if it ever comes to be. Containing, punishing, and rehabilitating prisoners would be a perfect use for it.

The MC is even a non-human species for a change!

The premise isn't explored very well though. All they do is stick the criminal in the vr game to play, almost nothing is done to actually push them towards rehabilitation or punish them for miss behaving. Rowland just uses t
Kevin
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
Sentenced to Troll is a masterful LitRPG. Having read dozens of books in the genre, it has become exceedingly rare that I find one that becomes an instant favorite. This is as close to perfect as I could ask for. With interesting and endearing characters, Artful world building, and a unique plot, this story bring it all together to tell one entertaining tale. The writing is polished, the pacing is superb, and it is apparent that this is an author who is excellent at his craft. If you like LitRPG ...more
Joe
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was a very enjoyable LITRPG with actual RPG elements. I think some authors have a difficult time adding RPG elements such as stats and lore to their books, but Rowland does a great job without it being cumbersome. The explanation for the full VR experience was very good and the story building goes along at a good pace. The characters are all very well done and likeable. This wasn't really a funny book, but it didn't need to be. The game elements keep it fun and enjoyable. Any gam ...more
Jonathan
I hoped for more

Going in I believed the blurb, this would be a callus individual suffering and overcoming bullying and strife. Instead, the character is repentant at the start so no character growth. He only faces “trolling” once or twice, he mostly faces racism and social inequality via proxy as he learns the game history and the challenges associated with his character’s race. But he doesn’t face challenges based on this, he faces a player. His adventures are standard. The story is nice, but n
Gil T
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
You See Me Trolling

Chad is a gamer, not a great one but a decent one with a following. Most of his following is because he becomes too harsh while gaming. He tells one of his teammates (in nice terms) that they were worthless. The Judge had a child kill themselves due to cyber bullying so she sentences Chad to 30 days virtual gaming as the my hated type of character in the game, a troll.

As a troll, he is not trusted by the tribe of trolls that he finds and when anyone else sees him, he is attac
Johnny
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was enjoyable

Mistakes: I didn't find any errors in this book.
Plot: Interesting and new. While I found the beginning to be a big corny, the overall story was just an enjoyable experience.
Characters: my favorite was the Imp. The MC could use some work to show an actual change in his personality. I didn't find him to be bad, just not really anything that showed a significant change in the perspective of how he treats other people.
Solid 8/10 I would read a sequel if one is written.
Ralph Trickey
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
If you're going to have a backstory, it should make sense.
This one didn't. Instead of showing his anger and where it came from, it talked about it.
He was then sentenced to a month in a new MMORPG as a troll that's part of a tribe. Sign me up for that ;)
The inline story and telling weren't horrible, they just weren't good enough to overcome the backstory. I kept waiting for something to happen that would help him really understand how much he hurt people and it never happened. As far as I could t
Simon Vince
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A great book in my opinion.

I stopped playing World of Warcraft several years ago. But, this book has me itching to play again.

I always played a Horde character because I always found humans to be arrogant and vindictive and they were the only ones that mattered (sometimes like real life 😐). Playing the underdog always made me feel more important. Only the humans thought the Horde was the evil enemy. In their arrogance, they didn't even try.

This books explores this theme and does it heroically!
David
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written tale of a Jerk who decides to stick up for the underdog. That's a bit simplified but the premise is there. An expert level gamer with the attitude to match runs afoul of civility laws and only his wealthy and never present parents get him out of a prison sentence and into a new VR experiment to test an MMORPG. His change of morals doesn't happen immediately and we get to see his development as a decent person. Looking forward to reading the next one when he gets to team up with his ...more
Kelley
Trolling along :)

I found the concept fascinating - sentenced to become a troll in game for acting as a troll in real life. The book lived up to all my expectations and more. The character development of the hero troll him learning to be a part of a community to care about what others feel was was the focus of the story. It was a little light on the litRPG. I wish the dungeons had more battles. I really want the next book now!
Benjamin L
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old concept, New life

If you have ever seen Demolition Man with Sly Stallone, then you get the concept of this book pretty quick. The main character must serve his jail time in a rehabilitative game. The story is really good, the only problem is how fast the main character is rehabilitated. It feels as if he is good by the end of the first chapter. From there it is all about a guy who is in a VR system and finally finds acceptance.
Deedra
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this gamer book of redemption.I've never played a game,but it was not hard to keep up with.Chad/Chod is a bad boy gamer who is put in a 30 day immersment into a new game as punishment.He has to live life as one of the realms most hated characters.At least he gets to pick the type of troll he becomes. Eric Martin is a fine narrator.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review. ...more
Kay
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why put this down?

The very, very start was a hair bit slow, but it quickly moves passed the real life stuff.

The characters are interesting and the background npc feel like they have their own life and issues. They don't seem to just disappear when the main character isn't around but continues on with their own life's when he is away.

And not to much math! When it's relevant to the story its there, but never over the top.
Graham
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was fine. I'd call it a little above average for a LitRPG book, a genre which seems to attract quite a lot of low-quality work. It's a fair story, with some moderately interesting characters. On the other hand, the world and game mechanics don't really stand up to scrutiny, and plenty of things happen solely because the plot requires them. If you like LitRPG, you'll probably enjoy this, though it's not a particularly strong recommendation.
Richard
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the heck out of book 1 Sentenced to Troll by S.L. Rowland. A slightly different start from most LitRPG's, (not a bad thing) with the right blend of game mechanics, great story and characters. I wish the book had been longer and am very much looking forward to the further adventures of Trolls with imps. I found this ebook for free and it is a great way for the author to lure you into the series. I definitely recommend this book if you like LitRPG, and/or fantasy in general.
Trevor Dowe
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun story

Chad is a dude suffering from a lack of parental affection that has turned him into a raging, vitriolic, steamer. That changes when he is sentenced to 30 days of punishment as a troll in the have Isle if Mythos. He becomes Chod. Chod isn't good troll hero, not at first, but he learns and grows.

Good nods to some of the other authors of the genre
Lyndon
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg-read
Excellent...

I've been seeing updates about this book on Rowlands newsletter for awhile. And to be honest I thought being sentenced to play a troll would somehow limit the MC. But he took to it pretty fast and actually felt bad for his race and took the time to improve it. I hate cliffhangers and really want to know what the message said but alas that is what sequels are for.
Tucker Jake
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I mean it is cliche that the mc changes so much in such a short amount of time, but I don't think a story has had me so invested in the mc and what he does in the next book. 5/5 I extremely look forward to the next one as I rarely out of the hundreds of books I read to write a review...
Gary Peluso
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun

A well crafted- Well written story- the way I judge any story I’m reading is when I realize I have been for a period of time transported into the story. This only occurs when there is a good back story, real characters who evolve and interesting plot lines. Thanks for ride, hope the story continues.
John
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good but no surprises

This is a good starting book for this series. It's litrpg but like some other series about morals and perhaps consequences. The MC Chod is sentenced for being an online troll. However the in game punishment is realistic enough to help him repent or even champion those in need. This was the start but can't want for more.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Respawn: Lovers Lost (Respawn, #2)
  • Respawn: Nightmare Mode (Respawn LitRPG series Book 4)
  • Irrelevant Jack
  • Respawn: 18 and Up (Respawn, #3)
  • The Heroic Villain
  • Dungeon Mauling (The Good Guys, #3)
  • The Mayor of Noobtown (Noobtown, #1)
  • Upload (Save Point, #1)
  • Respawn: Lives 1-5 (Respawn, #1)
  • Battle Spire
  • Beyond The Wall
  • Four: The Loot (The Good Guys, #4)
  • Equalize (Ether Collapse #1)
  • Heir Today, Pawn Tomorrow (The Good Guys, #2)
  • Respawn: Blade of the Ancients (Respawn LitRPG series Book 5)
  • Into the Light (Axe Druid Book 1)
  • Village of Noobtown (Noobtown, #2)
  • Oblivion's Peril (Endless Online #4)

Sentenced to Troll (3 books)
  • Sentenced to Troll 2