Start by marking “Six Minutes” as Want to Read:
Six Minutes

Six Minutes

An unputdownable thriller for fans of Liane Moriarty and Caroline Overington. If you were gripped watching The Cry, you'll be hooked on Six Minutes.

'Impossible to put down and full of twists and turns you won't see coming! I loved this fabulous debut novel.' Liane Moriarty, bestselling author of Nine Perfect Strangers

How can a child disappear from under the care of four p
Published July 1st 2019 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Six Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Minutes

Start your review of Six Minutes
Kylie D
Where is Bella Parker? Bella, a happy three year old, has disappeared from playgroup, under the not so watchful eyes of four other mums while her own mum, Lexie, ducked to the shop. Lexie was only gone for six minutes.

How did Bella get out? Was she taken? Is she somewhere wandering in the local area, lost? A big search reveals no sign of the child, so the police start looking into the lives of those close to Bella. For everyone, even Bella's own parents, are hiding secrets...

Well, what a twisty,
Deanna
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

“How can a child disappear from under the care of four playgroup mums?”

I’ve had this book for quite a while and can’t believe it’s taken me so long to read it. I had a few books going already but decided I would just read a few pages to see what I thought (famous last words).

I was hooked from the start!

Lexie is mother to three-year-old, Bella. Lexie and Bella attend a local playgroup. They are at playgroup one day when
Sharon
Six minutes is all it takes for three year old Bella to go missing from her playgroup. Bella’s mother Lexie left Bella in what she thought was safe hands of other mums at playgroup whilst she makes a quick dash to the shops. When Lexie returns Bella is nowhere to be seen. An entire search of the playgroup inside and out, but still no Bella. How could Bella just disappear without anyone noticing when there were other mums and their children in the playgroup and the gate was locked.

Lexie and her
Phrynne
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
An excellent debut novel with enough twists and turns in it to make the reader dizzy! A small child disappears from playgroup within a six minute time frame, despite three mothers being there to watch her. We then follow the police efforts to find her and discover how, in such an investigation, everyone involved has all their past secrets exposed to the world.

Most of the characters in this book are hiding something from their present or their past, the parents of the missing child having the mo
Brenda
Playgroup – Thursday morning; the small outlying Canberra suburb of Merrigang. Five mums; Lexie, Julia, Imogen, Mel, Tara. The wrong biscuits from Lexie – these have nuts – a dash to the shops with Bella left in the care of the mums and their children. Six minutes later, Lexie returned – three-year-old Bella was gone. Four responsible mothers, their children and a locked gate. Where did Bella go? And how did she get out?

Detective Caruso was immediately on the scene, rallying every available poli
Carolyn
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three year old Bella Parker is missing. She disappeared from a playgroup while her mother popped out for six minutes to the local shop for a packet of biscuits. Bella's mother Lexie didn't want to leave Bella but reasoned she should be safe enough with the other mothers and children inside a fenced play area with a childproof gate. Shouldn't she? But Bella has gone - has she wandered off through an improperly latched gate or has someone taken her?

This is an excellent and original debut novel fro
 Li'l Owl
This is a debut?? If I didn't know better, I would have thought Six Minutes by Petronella McGovern was written by a well-versed, established author with multiple books under her belt!

'Bella, let's go to the shop.'
She shook her head, dark plaits flying. Chestnut brown. The same color as mine, now that I dyed it every eight weeks.
'She can stay here', Mel said. 'We'll look after her.'
The other mums did it without a second thought—left their kids in playgroup and wandered over to buy groceries for
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

Six Minutes by Petronella McGovern. (2019).

How can a child disappear from under the care of four playgroup mums? Lexie dashed to the local shops for six minutes, leaving Bella at playgroup. But when she returns, Bella is gone. Police and media descend on the tiny village near Canberra and locals unite to find Bella. Quickly, online hate messages target Lexie and her husband Marty and relationships start to fracture. What secrets are a
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The pure reality of the situation presented in Six Minutes, the debut novel by Petronella McGovern, is enough to churn the stomach of any reader. Four playground mums have been asked to care for their friend and fellow playgroup member’s child. In the short space of just six minutes, the child disappears. With a round of possible suspects, including the parents, Six Minutes is a heart pounding race against time to get to the truth of the disappearance of an
Veronica ⭐️
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...

Petronella McGovern’s debut novel Six Minutes is a cleverly plotted mystery. On the cover of my ARC it says “impossible to put down” and how true that was!

Lexie has separation anxiety, she won’t let three year old Bella out of her sight. Knowing that she needs to relax and let go a little she leaves Bella with the other playgroup mums and ducks to the shop to buy morning tea. When she returns, only six minutes later, Bella is gone and nobody saw her leave
Marianne
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Six Minutes is the first novel by Australian author, Petronella McGovern. There are four other mothers and several children at the play group when Lexie Parker steps out for six minutes to buy some biscuits, but when she comes back, three-year-old Bella is gone and no-one has seen her leave. They all take a thorough look, but there aren’t many spots Bella could possibly be, so within minutes they call the police. Paediatrician Dr Marty Parker immediately drops his appointments to join in the sea ...more
Joss
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gosh this was a good book. Once I started it I could hardly bear to put it down. The story is set in a playgroup with just a few mothers and their children. A very ordinary setting, but then, a mothers nightmare begins when a child goes missing. I liked the way the plot unfolds and the use of separate voices, each telling their own part story.
Was it the spooky teacher or the Facebook mum? Perhaps it was the parents themselves? Heavens knows they had a lot to hide.
The answer finally reveals its
Deborah Ideiosepius
This seriously impressive debut novel had my stomach twisted in knots of tension on a regular basis. Mostly, whenever I had to put it down to engage in real life stuff. Though this story followed me into the real world when I did have to put it down, keeping me turning in over in my mind. Basically, I was either reading it or thinking about it, ruminating on the characters, trying to imagine where the plot would lead in the next bit.

The plot has the beauty of simplicity to recommend it and the t
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.
At first, I found the characters a bit wooden and contrived, but as more and more of each of their personal histories and preoccupations became apparent, I felt they became more complex and believable. There were multiple twists, turns, red herrings and misdirections as the book went on - it seemed every character had something to hide, (view spoiler). I felt the author was very successfu
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘HELP! My friend’s daughter is MISSING!’

On a Thursday morning in September, Lexie Parker takes her three-year-old daughter Bella to playgroup. It is still cool in Canberra in September, so Lexie insists on Bella having her jacket on. It’s a bit of a struggle, because poor Bella has a plaster cast on a broken wrist. Playgroup at Merrigang, a small village on Canberra’s southern fringe, is located near the local shops.

Lexie is one of five mums at the playgroup: Imogen, Julia, Mel and Tara are ther
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
“Three hundred and seventy-one, three hundred and seventy-two, three hundred and seventy-three...I’ve made it. I can stop counting now. Three hundred and seventy-three seconds. Six minutes.”

Six minutes after leaving her daughter, Bella, playing happily with her friends at playgroup, Lexie Parker returns to discover the three year old is missing, and none of the mothers that were supposed to be watching her can tell Lexie where her daughter went. Lexie clings to the idea that Bella has somehow si
Bec
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The first crime book I ever read was snow falling on cedars & I thought they would all be like that, mixing poetry with the harsh realities of the world. They are not. Crime & thrillers have their own style which I'm not really sure I like, despite reading a lot of them. I'm always searching for something that doesn't seem to be there, some poetic core. But anyway, that's just me & this isn't really a crime book although a crime has been committed, little Bella has been taken. Where is she?
I did
Fiona
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable read and insightful look into the secret society of mothers of young children and the anxiety, isolation and pressure to be good enough. I'd quite forgotten.
Lance Kirby
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Although there is nothing really wrong with this book it isn’t the type of book you can’t put down and the who and why is not totally unpredictable
Gloria Arthur
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Six Minutes, very suspenseful, intriguing and a wonderful debut novel for an up and coming author Petronella McGovern

Three year old Bella disappears under the care of a small group of playgroup mums, while her mother Lexie has been requested to go off to the nearby shops to purchase biscuits for playgroup. The setting is in a small community near bushland and not far from Canberra in the ACT, Australia.

Six minutes was all it took and on Lexie’s return she finds Bella has disappeared, ev
Rachel
*thank you to Allen & Unwin for an ARC of this book*

4 stars.

Ohh my gosh this was such a good read! Right from the beginning this story reached out, grabbed me and held on the whole way through. What the author, Petronella McGovern, did with those twists and turns was impressive! She would throw out just a crumb of information and suddenly it changed some major part, or even a small part, and we the reader are left with so many questions as to what that clue was all about. Some of them were prett
Sue Houghton
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read. Good plot and I liked the way in which the book was written from the viewpoint of so many of the important players
Will certainly be looking out for the next offering from this author
Oanh
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Victoria
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
WOW!

I couldn't believe this was written by a debut novelist. It felt polished and amazing, like a much more experienced author. I loved the way the story unfolded so meticulously leading to a conclusion we could never have expected. Even looking back I could never have picked up on what would happen. I loved the alternate POV's and how everyone was made to look suspicious right up until the end
Janine
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fast paced thriller with lots of possible outcomes.
Jackie Robinson
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh laaaaawwwdd thank goodness I’m not a parent or I might not have been able to read this!
This was a fantastic read, but man did I hate Tara lol. Would definitely recommend for anyone who is a fan of Liane Moriarty - it had that “perfect mums but how perfect are they?” kind of vibe.

Warning: if you’re sensitive to the death of children (due to illness) or suggestions of domestic violence, maybe this book isn’t for you.
Maureen Doig
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The kids, playgroup, mums every few pagesall felt familiar, but then it all went wrong. The characters were believable and likeable or not, and then more stories came out. My guess at who did it changed every few pages, until the exciting end! I felt I was reading faster to keep up with the action!
Dawn Hough
3.5 starts !!!! Great book, easy to read, kept me engaged throughout. Story focuses on the disappearance of a child from a playgroup.
Rachel
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This took me a much longer time than usual to finish. This isn’t at all a reflection on the book, sometimes it would be but I’ve been a bit distracted from reading the past couple of weeks.

Earlier this week I hit the middle part of this book and my reading obsession came back as I couldn’t put it down! I was keen as a bean to find out what had happened to poor little Bella. I must admit I thought the searching went on for a long time when it seemed unrealistic that she had wandered off as oppose
Ryan Olsen
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An overprotective Mum has her daughter go missing as she ducks down to the shops to grab a handful of things. The whole trip took 6 minutes but a lot can happen in that time...
Great book that really has you changing your idea/s on who done it and who is involved. Would be a good mini series if ever picked up.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Just an Ordinary Family
  • The Accusation
  • Sheerwater
  • Riptides
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • You Don't Know Me
  • The Day The Lies Began
  • In The Clearing
  • Just One Wish
  • Devil's Lair
Petronella McGovern grew up in a large family on a farm in New South Wales, Australia. Farmland and the bush feature strongly in her debut psychological thriller, Six Minutes. Her second novel, The Good Teacher, is set on the sparkling beaches of Sydney, with a dark undercurrent.

She has also co-written two non-fiction books - a travelogue of the 1960s, For Love and a Beetle with Ivan Hodge; and an

News & Interviews