Start by marking “Second Skin: Fractures: A litRPG Adventure (Second Skin Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Second Skin: Fractures: A litRPG Adventure (Second Skin Book 1)

Second Skin: Fractures: A litRPG Adventure

(Second Skin)

A Computer-Generated Fantasy Gone Wrong…
In one final attempt to salvage the wreckage of my life, I stepped into a virtual reality chamber, searching for something, anything, that might make me want to live again. But when I emerged inside the virtual world of Second Skin, I immediately discovered that things had gone wrong—terribly wrong.

I was suddenly trapped in a stra
Published March 27th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Second Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Skin

Wolkenfels
Dude is portalled into a fantsy world as woman and has to cope with the new body - including being seen as easy game by men. the vengance part is a bit too much for my taste. but overall a very classic entertaining litRPG portal book.
Tortuga Verde
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not breaking new ground, but enjoyable.

The story doesn’t provide much new in the realm of LItRPG. However, it is a nice journey as the MC begins her development. Much of the mechanics are not new. Only twist is the gender change, and that actually seems relatively superficial in the scope of the story. It isn’t even all that racy. It really is more of a story of renewal and finding oneself in a strange new world.

It is a short, but enjoyable, read. I would recommend.
Anangsha Alammyan
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very entertaining book, contrary to what the blurb would have you believe (especially for a non-gamer like me who has to google what RPG means).

Spoilers ahead:

An old man who straps on a VR to enter an RPG and finds himself in the body of a young woman. But, something happens and he can't get back - he is lost in the world of the RPG forever. The story traces the journey of the young woman Dreya Dae as she comes to terms with her feminity and learns the ways of the world of this alterna
P.W. Hillard
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Competent Easy Reading Fantasy.

Second Skin:Fractures is a "litrpg", not a book genre I was familiar with prior to reading this. I was however familiar with the anime/manga genre Isekai. It transpires these are one and the same, the basic book being identical.

For those not in the know these stories involve someone from our modern society transported to a fantasy realm. A classic trope (Narnia anyone?) the twist here is that the lead is either placed into a video game or into a real world that ech
Aaron Wang
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off and as a lead in, let me say that LitRPG is a genre I in general don't read. Although the notion of playing D&D or other role playing games has always held appeal, I also haven't played one. With that out of the way, I'd recommend this book as a great starting point if you want to delve into this relatively new genre.
The book starts out with a nice twist of how a person gets trapped in a the virtual world of an RPG game with I think the standard trope of raising the stakes by makin
Pratibha (Prats)
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy-fiction
This was my first book where the story is set up in a Role-Playing video game. It was a little difficult to get into the rules and calculations that go into score and capability measure [ i am still not too sure ] but once you read through it, the world and the people in the story capture all your attention. The land description and the people of the land are intriguing, especially in the latter part of the story. The solo travel for the lead character is a little repetitive but the book is fun ...more
Chad Johnson
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting first book. Excellent use of skill, ability and damage to put a new twist on the genre and make it more life like instead of RPG like but still making it a good mix. Not one to really get into gender swapping but, Mr. Baker does a good job of setting the story and keeping one interested. Wasn't really a fan of the more intimate settings but that's all personal opinion. Overall it was a interesting read and one that made you like the characters and want to see what they are up to and ...more
Jon Cook
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable...

Not a bad story, with likeable characters and an interesting world.

However I don't understand why you start off with a guy, have him turn into a woman (I have no issue with this) but then almost immediately have her reconcile with her male memories and never mention it again. If you didn't plan on using the transgender element why introduce it?

Secondly so many pages are wasted with recaps of the character sheet. It does nothing to drive the story and is blatant padding. Esecially whe
Jan-ivar Hjellbrekke
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well got no sleep this night

A good book that is well written and handles the gaming pod to new world transition in the best way I have seen I think, also the gender from Male to Female was handled well in my opinion.

The biggest problem I had with the book was the character sheet to be honest but again cant think of a better way to handle it really since it is needed well it's only a minor thing anyway :)
Christopher
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 1st book, congratulations.I enjoyed it all the way through although you might consider a part rate of star access. I am an older (72) and have markedly as following. No need to rush into print but I look forward to the next novel.

I am new to litrpg but did play d & d in my youth as the same out,I've been trying to borrow grandsons vr headset to see if it is bettet
Johnny
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book one

Mistakes: I didn't find any, however I think that the skill sheet was overused. After telling us of a change the author didn't need to show the skill sheet. I would have waited for large changes only.
Plot: Dude enters what he thinks is a game, only to be trapped in another world, stuck in the body of a woman.
Characters: The MC was very interesting and how he dealt with the body swap and almost getting rapped, where to me the best part of the book.
8.4/10
Donnie Dennison
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good story

I Iike the characters and find the book an easy read. The struggles feel real and a party of the story. I work from my own perspective that the MC wasn't attracted to women but had to deal with being attracted to men. I feel it was an easy path to follow but it's not my story. I still like it a lot. I am looking forward to my next adventure with these 5 friends and me.
laeaurra flamehawk-mitchell
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well rounded

A good immersive story. I like the characters. The MC seemed a bit murder hobo early on, but that was only because she stopped to think about her monster massacres. A very good read. I did think the character sheet was shown too often, but that's fairly minor and easy to skip over.
Alex Clark
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Story

Handled the main characters personal issues and transitions very well. Love that the character sheet is shown whenever there is a big change. If you don't like the numbers part it is easy to skip and get on with the story. I almost gave this book a pass but I am very glad I gave it a shot. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Janet J Behn
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.!

I have read a ton of LitRpg books in the last year and have read some that were very well written and some very badly written. Happily this book was definitely in the top 10%. Great innovative plot, decent character development and it had no problem keeping my interest for the whole story. I am now anxiously awaiting book two of this series.
Deoro
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent first effort. Entertaining litrpg

It’s nice to read a litrpg where the story and characters are the focus and the game mechanics enhance this. Good effort; very readable.
Trianda Lewis
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth the read

A bit of a gender bender has long has you have no problems with that then you’ll like this book. I for one thoroughly enjoyed this book, definitely looking foreword to the next one,
Jennifer Schell
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it!

The characters , the settings, the arcs, everything about this book was amazing! I love the MC and I can not wait to see more!

I don't want to leave any spoilers but I'm gonna say, you will not regret buying this. It is well written, and a fantastic adventure.
Randeknight
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reasonable twist in trapped in a game.

Writing and grammar are good.
Plot feels like someone's D&D campaign.
Some sexual elements and gender bender, but this is not a smut fic.
Ill read the next one when it comes out.
Michael A Gilliam
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story.

As a mmorpg player myself I really enjoyed this one. I think anyone who is not will probably want to give them a try after reading this book. I know it made me want to find a new one just to start a new adventure. I can't wait to read the next book.
Mitchell
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very nice start by a new author

Pretty standard lite of but well done. Has characters that you can relate to. Mostly a slice of life setup. Will be interested if the author comes up with a larger problem or quest for the hero.
Donald Gordon
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good book

I was surprised. When I first looked at the title i thought this was going to be a read a chapter of two and stop but I surprised this is a great read. I enjoyed the book and look forward to the next Book.
Ian Strauss
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good fun!

Second Skin opened a few interesting inquiries around the nature and experience of identity (more than I expected from a fantasy novel) and a good, well paced romp. Looking forward to the next book!
J
Jun 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just way too much exposition.
Aaron T. Scott
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Bleh

Massive stat lists every other page ruined what was already an average story. Page padding is a real issue in this genre and this author is another unfortunate example.
Richin109
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I have read a lot of LitRPG books and this is one of thr best. Well writte. Great writing. Cannot wait to read the next book
Kelly
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun

Stop with the long a as character state every chapter! Tmi !!! Good story line and character creations. Enjoyed it but for that butt long status crap.
Russell lawrence
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Second Skin

Excellent . . . . The best story I have read this year ........ Looking forward for more . . . . A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+
John Shelton
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining

A great story that I believe RPG gamers will enjoy. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Tiffany Curry
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow!

I had never ventured into the world of LitRPG, despite being an avid gamer and DND fan. I’m so happy that this book was my first foray into the genre. Dreya’s story is fun and exciting, and I was hooked from beginning to end! Looking forward to purchasing the next book in the series soon!

Second Skin (3 books)
  • Second Skin: Pieces: A litRPG Adventure (Second Skin Book 2)
  • Second Skin: Unified: A litRPG Adventure (Second Skin Book 3)