Start by marking “The Manticore's Vow” as Want to Read:
The Manticore's Vow

The Manticore's Vow

A vain assassin takes an assignment with dire consequences. An aristocratic lady fleeing her past is besieged by pirates. And a manticore princess sets out on a life-changing adventure.

The Manticore’s Vow collects three stories set in the world of Magic of Blood and Sea, all exploring the origins of some of its most memorable characters: Naji, the scarred assassin, Marjani
Published June 6th 2019 by Interstellar Flight Press

To ask other readers questions about The Manticore's Vow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manticore's Vow

Start your review of The Manticore's Vow
Sammie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2019
You can read my full review for this (as well as the rest of the series) at my blog, The Writerly Way, here.

Thanks to NetGalley and Interstellar Flight Press for an eARC in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

So, this book is a collection of short stories meant to be companions to The Assassin’s Curse series. Overall, the collection was short and sweet, and it was a little hit or miss, but it did provide some more background into the characters in the series that I really wanted more
Tsana Dolichva
The Manticore's Vow and Other Stories by Cassandra Rose Clarke contains three short stories set in the world of The Assassin's Curse books, recently repackaged as The Magic of Blood and Sea. Although I have read both of the novels in this world, it was several years ago and my memory of them is quite hazy. This means that I was effectively coming to these stories from a stand-alone perspective.

Overall, I found these stories stood alone fine, especially the first two. My favourite story was, with
Angie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Review: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. The following is my honest review and opinion. Last year I read the Assassin's Curse series but I didn't manage to read any of the novellas, which this book has now combined into one collection. Having already known the characters from the book it was a pleasure to go back and get to know some of their back story. The first story, Manticore's Vow follows Ongraygeeomryn, who I ended up loving in the series, ...more
Aja
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
While the short stories in this book were good on their own, having read it before getting to the author's first book in the series 'Magic of Blood and Sea', I found I had a very difficult time understanding why the stories ended so abruptly and without true conclusions. Nowhere on the cover or in the book itself does it say that it is a tie-in to another book/series or that it is a prequel of some sort. Because of this, the reader won't find any conclusions to the characters or plot lines.

But
Serena
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.**

This book is a companion book to the Assassin's Curse series. They are a series of short stories which build upon the characters, their backgrounds and who they are as a person.

Each of the novella stories: Manticore's Vow Automaton's Treasure & Witch's Betrayal gives a bit more information on characters found within the Assassins Curse series. They tie in well and
Bethwyn Badger
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
I haven't read any Cassandra Rose Clarke before, so this was a bit of an introduction. The stories were so fantastical- I loved the premises and the character styles, and I thought it was very inventive. However, I didn't gel well with Clarke's writing style, and I found I could never quite immerse myself in the story. This could possibly be because of my aforementioned in experience with her work - I was very aware that perhaps these stories continued or were more fleshed out in her novels, and ...more
Annarella
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm happy I requested this ARC because I discovered a new to me exciting series.
This is an excellent book with an interesting world building and fleshed out characters.
The stories are engrossing and entertaining.
I had some issues because I didn't read the other book in this series and I think missed something.
It was a good reading experience, recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Lorna
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this as part of a Goodreads Giveaway!

So I'll get straight to the reason I couldn't give this one 5 stars and that's because I hadn't realized that it was a companion novella to Clarke's other work. That being said- this book had me hooked. The world is masterfully built and the characters are well-fleshed out and developed, even though they appear for only a mere 30 pages or so.

I would absolutely pick up another of Clarke's works as a result of reading this little gem.
Lara
I enjoyed these three short stories and getting glimpses into Ongraygeeomryn's, Marjani's and Naji's befores. I don't feel like they would really work well as stand-alone stories, but if you've read the Assassin's Curse series, you'll probably like these as well!
Amber
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
Sad...it left me wanting more! Thought they were excellent and encouraged me to read more by this author. 🍀
Lisa
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Full Disclosure: Goodreads Giveaway Winner

Three charming tales to take you to another realm..... a nice respite from quarantine.
Elizabeth, Jasmine & Rebeca Pizarro
Nov 29, 2019
Jenny
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, netgalley
I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a fantasy and adventure book so I would strongly recommend this to readers who like those genres because this read represents the best of them!

It's got worldbuilding that is out of this world with obstacles and that a charismatic protagonist prevails over.

It's a unique premise that is executed amazingly well because the author has a whimsical style of writing that captures both prose and action scenes.

The thrilling action sequences
Stephanie Medeiros
Jul 21, 2019
Anna
Jul 07, 2019

• Spellcrest Academy (Spellcrest Academy, #1)
  • Privilege
  • One Family Christmas
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Celebrate Durga Puja With Me! (From The Toddler Diaries)
  • Celebrate Holi With Me!
  • The Best Cowboy Christmas Ever (Garrett Family Saga, #1)
  • Magic & Mistletoe (Confessions of a Closet Medium, #2)
  • Ming's Christmas Wishes
  • Born for Leaving
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Swamp Thing: Twin Branches
  • Alternatives to Sex
  • The Deep
  • Mooncakes
  • We Are Santa: Portraits and Profiles
  • Rupert's Snowman
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Cassandra Rose Clarke is a speculative fiction writer living amongst the beige stucco and overgrown pecan trees of Houston, Texas. She graduated in 2006 from The University of St. Thomas with a bachelor’s degree in English, and in 2008 she completed her master’s degree in creative writing at The University of Texas at Austin. Both of these degrees have served her surprisingly well.

During the summe