Start by marking “Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow” as Want to Read:
Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow

Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow

In Team Topologies DevOps consultants Matthew Skelton and Manuel Pais share secrets of successful team patterns and interactions to help readers choose and evolve the right team patterns for their organization, making sure to keep the software healthy and optimize value streams.

Team Topologies will help readers discover:

• Team patterns used by successful organizations.

Published September 17th 2019 by IT Revolution Press

To ask other readers questions about Team Topologies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Team Topologies

Start your review of Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
Sebastian Gebski
I've openly criticized recent MS's book (the one about sketching) - as half-arsed, rushed & shallow.
I've speculated that one of the reasons could be that he was working (in parallel) on something else - "Team Topologies" - and TBH after reading it ... I feel like my guesses were correct.

Just because TT is so much better.

Good points. Good conceptual model (that appears comprehensive enough). Some very good remarks & references (e.g. to McChrystal or theory of org. structures). This books
Brice Beard
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Formatted review at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stream...

Team Topologies provides deep insight into organizing IT teams for high performance. It demonstrates why a team centric approach is critical to DevOps and Agile success.

For anyone leading team(s) or simply working in a team, you’re bound to learn a lot through the case studies and synthetic approach presented. You will acquire a new frame of reference to help evolve your team(s) or organization and improve Teamwork !

Software
Bjoern Rochel
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Quick, very insightful read centering around the ideas of Conways Law, Dunbars number and Cognitive Load and their effects on organizational design.

Good and useful stuff to reason about team structures in an organization!
Valerie
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super interesting book for those tasked with organizational design. Filled with insights on how to structure your organization’s teams in a scalable way that both optimizes for delivery and takes a human-centered approach.

The writing was very dry — a bit white paper-ish — and could’ve used many more real-world examples to support the concepts they propose. Regardless, I found their lens for thinking about teams to be extremely valuable.
Marco
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read about team structures, functionalities and communication types. Mostly based on Conway's law and creating strategies to use this for building teams. Sometimes a little bit to theoretical but I liked the chapter about DDD aspects when it comes to teams.
Dmitry Spesiviy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book for me. It is first time when I made more then 100 notes in one book.
I was looking for the ways how to optimize work in our company and this book gave to me a lot of insights. Book full of real-life example, references to other books, practices.

Highly recommended for all people who are involved in organizing, supporting and managing IT teams.
Kristjan
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear and well captures the topic.
Ricardo Hernández
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps one of the best technical -and not yet technical- books that I have read about software development and organizational development. Parting from concise theory, they authors offers proven ways to plan, design, develop and nurture teams that align with business objectives, technical architecture and development flows. Taking Conway’s Law as backbone to sustain their their, Skelton and Pais are defining here what its was missed from the DevOps revolution: people and the ever complex ...more
Tõnu Vahtra
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some theoretical books from IT Revolution Press can be extremely tedious (but still useful, like The DevOps Handbook), this one is actually very engaging to follow (I had to constantly make breaks to take notes) and it's not that long, merely 240 pages. I will definitely take this book into use in my work life (actually already did). It introduced a few new concepts and novel ideas to my everyday vocabulary like cognitive load, optimizing for FAST FLOW and high fidelity sensing (Cynefin was also ...more
Mac
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone who wants high performing software organizations. It has instructions for one who must think about both the software and organization architecture - both as these two are inherently tied in software organizations.

It gives you some clear and practical structures for how to organize the organization, and what not just the structure will look like but the interaction between the teams. It's clearly systems thinking in action.

There's several tenants that it uses for
Victor
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-process
Team Topologies presents a Team First approach to organizational and code structure. It breaks down how to organize teams to support fast flow of development. At the core of this approach are 4 fundamental topologies (Stream aligned, Platform, Enabling and Complicated sybsystem) and 3 team interaction modes (Collaboration, X-as-a-Service and Facilitating). Having a common way of thinking about teams and concrete behaviors for each team topology and interaction mode should bring clarity to teams ...more
Tim Rozmajzl
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on teams - or even business related - that i've read in years. The authors riff on Conway's Law to describe the four types of teams and the three types of interaction styles. A must read for managers and other leaders in IT who may not really get the fact that the way you organize is an architectural decision. If your org/team configuration is not aligned with the architecture of your products/services as determined by good Domain Driven Design techniques, then your ...more
Liang Gang Yu
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Organizational structure matters how software and technologies can be built effectively; team size, topology, and communication play critical roles to influence software architecture, delivery of services.

To everyone working in the software industry, it's beneficial to know what is covered in this book, including Conway's Law, Dunbar's number, cognitive load, team-first approach in software boundary design, four simplest team topologies - stream-aligned, enabling, complicated subsystem,
Gustavo Leiva
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
The book proposes a set of ways to structure teams around technology as well as ways for those teams to communicate with each other and the organization.
While I agree with the proposal, I think it needs a certain context to be successful/accurate. Therefore I think there are possibly other ways to be successful structuring technology teams without following what the author proposes.

The book is also very repetitive. I think the same content could have been condensed into fewer pages.
In general,
Antoine Craske
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really useful book to clarify and structure a DevOps organisational and collaboration model,

Very interesting with the practical experience, examples, and sharing by the authors, contributing to the overall quality of the book and its usefulness,

Highly recommended to any organisation at any stage of their organisation transition, as help to align people on a common wording, schema and colors !
Matt
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
I read little non-fiction. This one was quite relevant to what we’re doing at work, though, and my boss recommended it highly.

I found the book fascinating. It lays out a straightforward approach to organizing software teams and outlining patterns of communication among them. I kept trying to think through how this might look at our organization.

I do expect that we will at least be inspired by the ideas in this book, and it will be nice to have this background material in my head.
Łukasz Słonina
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're building organizations then this book is for you, author proposes four team topologies as a building block for every organization, describes interactions between them and many more. Principle behind this is Conway’s Law. Very good content, but it is hard to read in places, a bit like a textbook.
Graham
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good read on the different types of teams and how teams interact. I found this book created a useful framework creating and evolving team structures.

While the core purpose of the book is on teams I would have loved for there to be a section on the how the physical structure (line management) influences the teams and communication links.
Ram Sethumathavan
It is good book to understand how the organization can be structured to deliver business value with less friction across cross functional teams. As most of the industry analysts talk about Product based organization but don't go into specific problems in real world. The authors have provided guidance on how to tackle real world organizational challenges.
Robert
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you manage technology teams, stop what you are doing and read this book. Very detailed and backed up by data and case studies. If everyone read this, engineering teams would run so much smoother. Best business/tech book I’ve read all year.
Denis Romanovsky
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book tries to classify teams and relations between them. The attempt is good, though, could be a bit deeper. Another good thing is the attempt to explain team dynamics within one team and teams in relations. Definitely good food for thought!
Christian Schultz
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: systems-dev-ops
Excellent overview, collection of ideas, thoughts and theories. Simple way of setting up organisation type and collaborations. Examples of real world applications. Problems solved and suggested. Excellent!
Nikolay Theosom
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was surprisingly low BS work
Gopi
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Insights

Clear and concise guidance on organizing teams for maximizing flow of value. Draws on other great works such as Accelerate, DevOps community etc.
Chris
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read, highly practical guidance you can relate to in a medium to large organizations.
Mohamed Ramadan
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive book, full of experience.
Damien
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot recommend Team Topologies enough to people having to work on team organization. This is well thought and justified. A must read.
Scott Anderson
Interesting book around how you organize for SCRUM / DEVOPS. The author had opinions about many decisions facing our organization today.
Luis Dujovne Fischman
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better than I expected

A great book for guidance, not prescriptive, but rather shows paths so you can decide what’s best for your company
Alla
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was certainly worth my time and the authors have clearly put a lot of their time and work into it. It presents a clear and consistent framework for making decisions when designing team structures and interactions. The language is just right - not too casual but not too scientific either. All statements are backed by research and further reading suggestions. Simple and useful illustrations. Finally, many chapters I would come back to as a handbook when scaling teams and many suggestions ...more

• The Unicorn Project
  • Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Infinite Game
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • Thinking in Systems: A Primer
  • A Seat at the Table
  • Resilient Management
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams
  • War and Peace and It: Business Leadership, Technology, and Success in the Digital Age
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • Dynamic Reteaming: The Art and Wisdom of Changing Teams

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »