Start by marking “On the Mall” as Want to Read:
On the Mall

On the Mall

***PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED AS PART OF AN ANTHOLOGY***

This SHORT STORY was previously published as part of the Heart2Heart Vol 2 Anthology but is now being offered as a single title since the anthology is no longer available.

When art therapist Cam gets set up on a blind date with a man named Josh, he doesn't realize it's Joshua Lede, the famous, television reporter or that Jo
Published March 30th 2019 (first published November 13th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about On the Mall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Mall

Start your review of On the Mall
Bookreader87(Amanda)
May 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, short
This short says it is only 40 pages but it seemed much longer than that. I love cheesy but this was too much. I also really hated how the author made a huge thing of one of the MC's prosthetic leg. My mom's boyfriend has a prosthetic leg and let me tell you no one is such an asshole that they would just come up to him and be as rude as so many were in this book. He may get a curious look here and there but nothing like this author had going on. It kind of really pissed me off.
I know this author
Meep
Oct 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disability, short-fic
Didn't like this, it tries really hard to make a point but manages the reverse leaving a bad taste.

One MC has a prosthetic and that is the entire focus of this short story. I couldn't tell you how the two men came to be meeting, there's insta-insta attraction but the whole date involves discussing the prosthetic and a bunch of people being rude regarding it. Also there's sharp 'witty' responses to everyone - even when a woman appears well-meaning -if misguided- she's treated with contempt. Inste
~Volha~
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
** 1.5 stars **

This is an instant when an author is trying to promote awareness and be politically correct about certain social issues, and it backfires spectacularly. I do not mind insta connection, in some cases it really works. But the constant mention of prosthesis among other things just ruined the story for me along with extreme sugariness. Sometimes subtle is the way to go.
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Book was Ever So Sweet

And...Ever So Romantic

But...I’m probably never going to forget the leg disability in thus book, because that was written with a heavy hand. And, I’m okay with that because this little book has so much sweetness.

Overall the book was adorable , and I wished it were longer. It has-

A blind date, a dog lover, lots of chemistry. A disability, two sweet hearted men, and a touch of humor. All in 40 pages. I adored it.

My only sad spot, was the ending...I feel like this bo
Becca
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so sweet and romantic. I love seeing people of color and with disabilities in stories. It makes everything so much more real. What a great short.
Annie
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read On the Mall as part of the Heart2Heart Charity Anthology and remember it being one of my favorite short stories in the collection. When I heard it was releasing separately, I decided to revisit this memorable first date so I could leave an individual review.

I was pulled in from the start of On the Mall by the descriptions of the characters’ thoughts and feelings that were so vivid every emotion was palpable. Obviously due to the length, things move along quickly. However, the author capt
Barb ~rede-2-read~
A really nice story featuring two characters that the author was able to build super personalities for within a short time frame. Somewhat insta-love, but it needed to be that way as this was originally in an anthology.

Joshua was disabled from birth and had an artificial leg below the knee. He was very outgoing and full of humor, including self-deprecating humor. Cam was sweet, fun, and totally accepting and respectful of Joshua.

All in all, I was glued to the iPad Kindle app for quite a while
Bronwyn
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars - I thought it was weird that Josh would lie to people about how he lost his leg. There were other ways he could have dealt with people’s questions. I agree with some other reviewers who stated they felt like too much emphasis was put on the fact that Josh had a prosthetic leg.
Cris
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! I love that even though it is a short story is so complete. They met, they feel the spark and then you see what it could be.

So charming!
Rachel
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story! Named 'Washington' in the Heart2Heart Anthology Volume 2 - Cam and Josh's story shows how some people deal with a life long social issue involving a prosthesis. Giving this a strong voice and showing that people are more then what meets the eye made this one of my favorites. Short and sweet but hits all the right buttons to leave you with a new fresh look on life, love and acceptence. Can't wait for the next.
DC
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Very sugary sweet and zero angst. The author seemed to be trying very hard to drop place names around Washington, DC. Most were accurate although I have to say, as a resident of the DMV, I have never heard anyone refer to the Washington Monument as the National Monument.
Angie
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars!

This is a short freebie for a giveaway that was previously published in an anthology.

I liked the short story even though it was instalove. It is always enjoyable when the humor feels organic which this story has.

Overall, it is a cute short romance.
Pati
While I didn't like much of the unrealistic things (I have two family members plus an old childhood friend who were amputees) there were several parts that made me laugh. So in the end it balances out to a three for me.
Tj
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: freebie
Cute story. Interesting characters. It was too short for plot development and for the reader to really get to know the characters. Writing a good short story that leaves the reader feeling complete is hard. Unfortunately On the Mall isn’t that story.
Lynette
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet short story.
Jacquie Stewart
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute short story
Claudia
so sweet ... would have loved to have that as a full length book
Gustaf Mtz Amador
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well. It was something...
Michelle Hayden
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story too short
Dana Mitchell
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this a lot. Nice main characters and a really fun date. Their instant connection was very believable.
Tracy Perry
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sweet short story.
Chelsea Moore
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short! I thought it was so cute! I would definitely read more about these 2!
Tira
Alicia
rated it it was ok
May 03, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Out in Spring (Out in College, #6)
  • The Date (Love in O'Leary #0.5)
  • Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology Volume 4
  • Tempting Fate: A Love in Eden Short
  • The One Decent Thing
  • Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 3
  • Obsessed (The Protectors #13)
  • Catching Orion
  • Out on the Ice (Out in College, #5)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • Foreseen: Lex (The Four #2)
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Hardwood (Four Bears Construction, #3)
  • Five Fake Dates
  • Spring Strings
I only keep a small list of my very favorite books and series in my bookshelf here. I read A LOT and it's hard to keep the list updated!

News & Interviews