Start by marking “The Laird's Vow (Sons of Scotland, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Laird's Vow (Sons of Scotland, #1)

The Laird's Vow

(Sons of Scotland #1)

In medieval Scotland, the illegitimate children of a notorious criminal vie to claim their birthrights, and find that love is an even greater prize…

Published September 17th 2019 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about The Laird's Vow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Laird's Vow

Niki
Tavish Cameron has acquired some wealth as a merchant in Edinburgh but is plagued by ridiculous taxes and tolls and harassment from the town burgess. Until he receives information that stands to change everything: he stands to inherit the lairdship of Roscraig and the castle there. He just has to admit to being the bastard son of a baron charged with murder and remove the impoverished and haughty Glenna Douglas from the castle that has always been her home.

Glenna has lost nearly everything. Her
Tracy Emro
2.5 rounded up

The story opens with Thomas Annesley, Baron Annesley, Lord of Darlyrede wounded and fleeing his home. His beloved Cordelia is dead and her father, Lord Hargrove is trying to kill him. He comes upon travelers who offer to help him, but when he learns they are going to Darlyrede, he takes off into the night.

30 years later, Tavish Cameron is a merchant in Edinburgh, he has done well for himself and his mother, but is still not as successful as he would like. When a man enters his shop
Cindy
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance and mystery

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I get bored by most romances. This one was actually pretty good though. A mystery thrown in to keep it interesting and a happy ending.
Secret Reads
The premise of this story had so much potential and there were definitely parts of it that shined. However, I find it difficult to believe that Glenna could fall in love with a man who was so unnecessarily rude to her. I absolutely get the idea of a Scottish Laird being dominant and rugged - but to be an outright ass ALL THE TIME - it just felt a tad too unrealistic to me. That being said, the ending was very satisfying and I am still glad I read it.

Thank you NetGalley and Kensington Books for t
Denise Van plew
Another wonderful discovery of a new to me author with one from a time gone by. Oh how delightful too it is set in Scotland one where the language is like music when spoken I think. In this one we are given quite the tale with Tavish and Glenna giving us one to delve into. What seems to be one thing begins to turn into something else with us reaping the benefits especially when we see who gets what. Oh and the passion that will do a slow boil steaming up the house while reading. Enjoyed this one ...more
Traci
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first part of the book was very slow which made it hard for me to continue reading. It speeds up towards the middle of the book and was easier to read. Tavish Cameron has inherited a castle but to claim it he must get the lady living there to leave. Also, he must solve the mystery of who the castle should belong to, prove it to the king, and find a killer. The relationship between Tavish and Gleena seem to go from one extreme to another. They went from immediate enemies to being co-conspirat ...more
Carole Burant
Although the first half of the story had a hard time keeping my interest, the second half was much better. Lots of intrigue and some twists and turns. I was a bit disappointed that there didn't seem to be much connection between Tavish and Glenna, most of the book they hated each other and then bam, they were in love! I just didn't feel the heat between them. Otherwise, the plot of the story was a good one and there are a couple of surprises at the end.

I received an ARC of this book via NetGall
Helena#bookdreamer
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
As far as Highland romance goes this was a decent novel. The language and description of the land appear accurate and realistic. Having said that the story felt long and uninteresting. Tav and Glenna are fighting to keep the home they inherited and work together to trick those trying to lay siege. I just didn't feel the connection between the characters and the plot felt long winded. Didn't enjoy it as much as I would ha
Denise Levendoski
Thank you to Heather Grothaus and Goodreads.com I won this book in a Giveaway.

Good setting, very descriptive and over all enjoyed the story. Had to get used to her writing for a better understanding of the book. Loved the ending ! Hoping for a sequel.
MrsMascara
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I really wasn’t expecting something this good. I really loved this. There was a real sense of peril, of conflict. It was exciting and while I was always expecting an HEA, I was constantly worried about how much the protagonists would have to suffer before they got there. Heather Grothaus also had a fine sense of the period and really conveyed a sense of menace and darkness.

Tavish Cameron is a prosperous merchant in Edinburgh, born a bastard, he had always though he was Dolan Cameron’s son,
Teresa
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This was my first book by Heather Grothaus and I really enjoyed the twists and turns in the plot and the vivid descriptions of the setting. I liked the characters, but thought the chemistry between the hero, Tavish, and the heroine, Glenna, was lacking. They seemed to jump from hating one another to being everlastingly in love too quickly. The mystery set up in the plot may keep me wanting to read the next book though.

I would recommend this book, see what you think. The interesting plot is cert
Margaret
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started with murder and a young man on the run.

A lot of twists and turns when the title of Laird of a holding is contested. Only the judgement of the King will be the final word. Be sure to keep up with this one, because the end will be a surprise.
MA
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I won a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

DNF @ 15%

If you're looking for a decent Scottish historical romance, I highly recommend Beyond the Highland Mist. Or Outlander, I suppose.
Janet
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Edinburgh merchant Tavish Cameron has no choice but to pay outrageous tolls to the nobility, until fate gives him an unexpected opportunity for advancement. To claim Tower Roscraig, all he has to do is admit that he is the bastard son of a murdering baron…and evict the proud, impoverished Lady Glenna Douglas from her crumbling castle.
With her father ailing and her village devastated by illness, Glenna has lost almost everything except her home. Now a ruggedly handsome stranger intends
Carolyn Klear
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book! It kept my interest, it was hard to put down. Very well written story
Candy Briggs
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eighteen-year-old Thomas Annesley, third Baron of Darlyrede, was running for his life. He had been shot and had two arrows in his shoulder. He was having trouble breathing and knew his right lung was damaged.
March 1458 Edinburgh-
Tavish Cameron was a merchant with a boat and did quite well for himself and his mother. A knight came to see them, asked some questions. Sir Lucan Montague, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter of His Majesty King Henry of England, brought a parchment with him.
Debee Sue
Kathy
Luna
Anita Glover Stevenson
Heather Grothaus has published twelve novels since 2006, which
have been translated into several foreign languages. She fell in love with
historical romance after reading a Kathleen E. Woodiwiss novel when she
was far too young to be doing so, and has since built a
reputation for crafting twisting adventures, laugh-out-loud dialogue, and
heart-wrenching emotion. When she’s not writing, she spends

Sons of Scotland (2 books)
  • The Highlander's Promise (Sons of Scotland, #2)