Start by marking “Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)” as Want to Read:
Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)

Teach Me

(There's Something About Marysburg #1)

Their lesson plans didn't include love. But that's about to change...

When Martin Krause arrives at Rose Owens's high school, she's determined to remain chilly with her new colleague. Unfriendly? Maybe. Understandable? Yes, since a loathsome administrator gave Rose's beloved world history classes to Martin, knowing it would hurt her.

But keeping her distance from a man as wa
Published May 30th 2019 by Hussies & Harpies Press (first published March 27th 2019)

K.J. Charles
Extremely likeable contemporary romance with two stressed teachers at a high school. Martin is very much a non-toxic male--in touch with his emotions, plugged in to discourse about content and consideration, highly empathetic. Rose is much less open, and magnificently defensive and self-protecting, and it's very nice how we see that they're both responding to past hurts in different ways.

It's an immensely kind book, one that values human decency and in which there's really only one bad guy on p
Ivy Deluca
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description
Woo! It is has been a hot minute since I’ve read a book or written a review (long story short=real life too much stuff), so forgive me if I gush a bit. Let’s face it I'm never quick, but...this book is THAT good.

description

I have certain smutnip tropes that pull me in. Every time. If you mention any combination of the following, I’m going to want to read your book:

Workplace romance? Check.
BBW heroine? Check.
Cinny roll of a beta hero? Check.
Mature hero and heroine? Check.

So I settled in for a good read, and
Jan
Jun 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Unpopular opinion alert. 1.5 stars, maybe? I was initially attracted to this book by the two more mature MCs, and it started off OK. Two teachers who fall for each other. It certainly wasn't the DREADFUL COVER that appealed. Ugh! I HATE the crude and unappealing image on the cover.

The concept of the story was fine, but the more I read, sadly the more bored I became. I liked the H OK, but the h with her obsession of wearing only black clothes started to get a little tedious. She was also a BBW t
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
3.5 - 4 STARS
Addie H
(Tropes: Enemies to Lovers, Friends to Lovers, Work Relationship, Unrequited Love, Unstarched (both but mainly her))

No spoilers

Finally, a book where to two main leads are over 40! And where they are properly adulting, without too much drama and ridiculous misunderstandings.

*****
“Ms. Owens likes you, you know. She smiled at your dumb jokes, and she was watching you when you weren’t looking at her. Which you were totally doing all the time. You should ask her out.”
*****

Quick plot summary: When
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
So I got a little bit worried when the main antagonist for Rose was described as being antagonistic because he was a white man. I mean, people are people and some of them are jerks and some of the jerks end up in positions where they can dictate to other people and make their lives miserable. But in this case, it is explicitly stated that it is because he's male that he's a great big dictatorial jerk. But okay, he's mostly background so I moved on.

Only then we have Rose saying that what she like
nick
4.5/5

How is it that Teach Me is only my first Olivia Dade book? It appears that I have been missing out because her writing reminds me of some of my favorite authors. Shout-out to Therese Beharrie for putting this on my radar since it's quite possibly one of my favorite reads of the year.

If I were to use one word to describe Teach Me, it would be soft. From the very beginning, there was a warmth to the story that stayed throughout and had me glued to the pages. The characters in this book were a
Amanda
4.5 stars, rounding up

This is such a wonderfully feminist slow burn romance. Martin and Rose are both divorced social studies teachers in their 40s. Rose is an “ice queen” at first glance, but she has so many layers. She grew up very poor and has a lot of pride, which is a strength and a weakness. She has a hard shell but she’s very compassionate and loyal and caring to people who deserve it. Martin is sensitive and a great dad. I loved the relationship between him and his teenage daughter in t
Maria Rose
Teach Me by Olivia Dade is the first story in her new romantic comedy series set in the fictional town of Marysburg, with everyday people taking a chance on love.

For Rose Owens, teaching world history at Marysburg high school is the joy in her life that keeps her going after a disastrous marriage that threatened to rob her of her self confidence. She’s learned to keep her real feelings about things to herself and always portray a polite, friendly but distant demeanor. This has worked especially
Stephanie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet, adorable, feminist romance for adults, with a powerful heroine and a hero who truly loves her for it. I love that they both love each other's strengths while also both feeling sincerely protective of each other's vulnerabilities. I love that the heroine is a woman of size and has no issues with that (and the hero loves it). I love that they're both such brilliant and passionate teachers that I actually really, really enjoyed reading a whole novel about people who have volun ...more
Jess
This was WONDERFUL. This is a couple that really has to work for each other--both of them are in their 40s and they have pasts, including divorces, and in the hero's case, a child. And they put the work in. And they appreciate each other for who they are, but also help them stretch to be more, and just. I really loved this.

**Read for Ripped Bodice Bingo 2019, Prom**
Kate (kate_reads_)
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! I loved so many things about this book - but I don’t want to spoil a single one of them for you. I want you to read them and be delighted by them as I was.

Rose has been an AP history teacher at Marysburg High for over 20 years. Just before the start of a new school year, she’s informed Martin is a new teacher who will be starting - and he’s getting her world history classes. While she knows it isn’t his fault, it doesn’t exactly make her feel warm, fuzzy and inviting to the
Heather
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Teach Me is the story of Martin and Rose, two high school AP History teachers who overcome their pasts to fall in love with each other. This is a VERY slow burn romance. The story takes place over the course of an entire school year. The author is a former history teacher, and it shows. Fellow teachers will applaud all the realistic little touches (clandestine bingo during boring professional development sessions!) that really capture the work we do. At times, I almost worried if the book would ...more
Robin
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So far, one of the best books I've read this year. LOVED IT.
Maria
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, sexy-hero
- Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review -
4.5 stars.
A quote:
“How he could sit there, by Rosie’s side, holding her hand, full of so much love and kindness, she had no idea. He’d somehow managed to keep his heart open, even as the people he loved proceeded to damage it, one after the other.” (Loc. 2575, quote from ARC)

“Teach Me”, by Olivia Dade, is an excellent novel, a delightful read, featuring a yummy Beta hero in his forties, who is a bit nerd and shy, but not too much,
Dísir
I didn’t know what to expect from Olivia Dade’s ‘Teach Me’ but a romance set in school (one that begins with a bit of hostility) between 2 older, scarred , divorced people wasn’t it. Yet it surprised me once I got going, past the initial friction between Rose Owens and Martin Krause after the school administrator did a bit of deliberate reshuffling intended to sting hard.

Rose/Martin are exceptional educators—I suspect Dad wouldn’t write them otherwise—but Dade excellently juggles the demands of
b.andherbooks
*Actual rating 4.5 stars*
I received a free copy in exchange for a fair review, thank you to the author!

When Rose finds out she's losing some of her favorite classes to a new teacher, a man to boot, she's determined to treat him professionally but coldly. She isn't expecting him to be the passionate, excellent educator she discovers him to be as the school year begins. She isn't expecting to like him!

Martin, moved to Marysburg to be near his 18yo daughter before she graduates and goes to college,
Felicia Grossman
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I heard good things about this book and it was high on my TBR list, but OMG, did I just love it. Like every second of it. I thought it was pretty darn perfect, actually. I adored Rose and Martin, each of them, individually and together. They were each complex characters with realistic backstories that made complete sense with who they were (which were delightful people with some wounds that they covered to the best of their abilities).

And they were mature characters, who had clearly grown throu
Jenica
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I loved this book so much. Olivia Dade writes friendship and angst and falling in love so well. I adore her writing style. I adore Rose and Martin. I need to write an actual review of this, but I need some time, so... RTC. But I mean it!

Okay, real review time!!

I absolutely adored this book. Teach Me follows Rose, who presents herself to the world as a bit of an Ice Queen but in a way where it's very obvious that she's genuinely the kindest person because of how wonderful she is to her stud
Xan West
Content Warnings (view spoiler) ...more
Emmy
I got to about 30% but I had already started skimming. There were just a few things that were rubbing me the wrong way and I just couldn't get invested in the characters.
Taryn
Thank you so much to the author for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review

This was such a lovely romance of two older people falling in love. Rose and Martin were both great, fleshed out characters who were lovable both together and separately. I loved how they complimented and contrasted each other-- Rose being the Ice Queen that she is, and Martin a sweet, soft cinnamon roll. They both cared so deeply for each other and their relationship was so sweet.

On top of that, I loved the exp
Queen of the Geeks
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a review of the ARC. This the first book by this author I have read... it won't be the last.

I wish I could give this book more than 5 stars. I truly loved it. Rose is an Ice Queen and Martin is a shy sweetheart, but they are much deeper and complex than how others see them. Both are deeply hurt from past relationship baggage and have to trust each other to find a way to love that brings out the best in both of them.

The book is a very slow burn between the two, but damn it heats up in th
Marcela Macias
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m so in love with this book and with both characters. So, so in love with it.

This is a book about loving as an adult, about second chances we never expected, about love that is nurturing and caring and sweet and kind and life-affirming. A book about love as it should be.

This is the story of Rose and Martin, two amazing high school history teachers (the kind you wish you had) who find the courage to love each other.

I adored Rose, her strength, her hidden vulnerability, her love of her studen
Ellie
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
This a warm hug of a book and I couldn't be happier I got a chance to read an ARC of it. Such a lovely, heart-warming, life-affirming, joy-bringing book!

I loved both MCs, each not being the typical romance MC - she is fat but there is nothing soft about her, she is confident and fierce, has a killer fashion style and np hang-ups about her body. I adore Rose and want to be her when I grow up.

Martin is softest cinnamon roll hero, unassuming and shy, quiet, carrying a lot of baggage from t
Sharon
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was just a joy to read. Rose is the ice queen - really, she has walls up to protect herself and few get close, though there are cracks for her students. Martin is a teddy bear of a guy, who also needs to learn his own worth and that he, too, is worthy of love. I loved both of these characters and it was wonderful to see them fall in love. It's also nice to see representation, with a plus sized heroine, a hero who isn't an alpha, and teachers who love to teach. The side characters are e ...more
Kim Weiss
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh dear.

I wanted to like this book. There are many, many books about office workers in marketing and similar positions, but few about teachers. As a teacher myself, I ordered this book as soon as I heard of its existence.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend it to teachers. Although the author once worked as a history teacher herself, she seems to have forgotten what it was like. The heroine, Rose, is unrealistic and unsympathetic.

The plot is this: Rose doesn't get along with her boss--not uncommon
Book Gannet
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a seriously grown-up romance, and not just because the protagonists are older divorcées, or because Martin has an almost-adult daughter. It’s grown-up because there is a solid maturity to the characters, the setting and the romance that left no room for foolish misunderstandings or needless angsty shenanigans thrown in purely to create narrative drama.

This is a slow-burn romance between two exceptional teachers, set amidst some nasty school politics and dealing with the long-term effects
Xerxia
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the very sloooooow burn story of Rose, a 42 year old divorced teacher with a shit ton of baggage, and Martin, an unfortunately named mid-40s divorced teacher (and dad to a high school senior) who is also toting around a few overstuffed samsonites.

This book is beautifully written, is sensitive to gender roles and addresses toxic masculinity in a refreshing way. But I had a hard time getting into it, and I can’t help but think that’s because these characters are my contemporaries, which t
« previous 1 3 4 next »
While I was growing up, my mother kept a stack of books hidden in her closet. She told me I couldn't read them. So, naturally, whenever she left me alone for any length of time, I took them out and flipped through them. Those books raised quite a few questions in my prepubescent brain. Namely: 1) Why were there so many pirates? 2) Where did all the throbbing come from? 3) What was a "manhood"? 4) ...more

There's Something About Marysburg (2 books)
  • Cover Me / Work of Heart (There’s Something About Marysburg,#2)