Start by marking “The Will and the Wilds” as Want to Read:
The Will and the Wilds

The Will and the Wilds

A spellbinding story of truce and trickery from the Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Paper Magician series.

Enna knows to fear the mystings that roam the wildwood near her home. When one tries to kill her to obtain an enchanted stone, Enna takes a huge risk: fighting back with a mysting of her own.

Maekallus’s help isn’t free. His price? A kiss. One with the

Published January 21st 2020 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Will and the Wilds, please sign up.
✿ lorraine This book is a standalone! Although there is certainly a lot of room for Holmberg to write more stories in this universe, The Will and the Wilds ends …moreThis book is a standalone! Although there is certainly a lot of room for Holmberg to write more stories in this universe, The Will and the Wilds ends with no cliffhanger or any reason for there to be a sequel.(less)

Start your review of The Will and the Wilds
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“ What is a soul if not an extension of the heart”!
This great quote of the book and Paper Magician series author’s attempt to retell Beauty and Beast made me buy new dancing shoes and work on a new happy dance moves to celebrate it! (This time I went back to retro and added some figures of Vanilla Ice and Janet Jackson to my choreography!)

Just a small kiss could determine the souls’ paths between life and death! This book is capturing you from its first page, enchanting you with those magical, w
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
267 pages
Publication: January 21st

A story of a girl and a monster.

I really enjoyed this book. I love fairy tales and am just starting to get more into the fantasy genre so this was a great book that had aspects of both of those. The characters were fully developed and completely awesome, even the supporting characters. There are hero’s and villains, humans and monsters, magic spells, enchanted stones and all that jazz. What could be better?

This is the story of a girl named Enna who is a bit of
Samantha
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars - I feel “meh” about this book and think it will be pretty forgettable. While I was reading it, it felt like a 3 star as the prose is decent. But I never felt compelled to pick it up. Nothing much happens in the plot and it’s rather anti-climatic. It’s mostly about the romance, but the romance also isn’t interesting enough to propel the plot forward. If you like monster boyfriends, this may still be worth it for you (especially since it’s so short), but I definitely wanted and expected ...more
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE WILL AND THE WILDS took me a while to read because it's a slow and odd book that, despite its length, builds up to its climax slowly. I ended up liking it because it reminded me a lot of the fairytale stories I read as a kid by authors with triple-barreled names like as Diana Wynne Jones and Margaret Peterson Haddix and Gail Carson Levine and Vivian Vande Velde, but I already know that some readers probably aren't going to like it pr
Mara YA Mood Reader
DNF @51% this just isn’t keeping my interest

$1.99 on Kindle US today 6/19/2020!
Constantine
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre: Fantasy + Romance + Young Adult

Enna lives with her ill father in the wildwood. Many kinds of mystings roam there all the time. They are after something she has. She needs to get rid of them by making a deal with one (Maekallus) but what is the catch? To give up her soul? or give up her heart?

I always wanted to read the Paper Magic series by Charlie N. Holmberg but that has not happened yet. I decided to pick up this standalone fantasy since it is her latest work. First thin
Rae
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
ARC Received via NetGalley for an honest review

You can find this review and others on my blog here:

Charlie Holmberg, you've done it again!!!

I fell in love with Charlie Holmberg back when I read her Paper Magician series. I have always been a fan of origami so when I read the synopsis that it was about a magical origami I couldn't pass it up. Instantly I knew that I found a new favorite author. I flew through that series and couldn't help but want more!!!
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Rating: ★★★★☆ (4/5 Stars)
Title: The Will and the Wilds
Author(s): Charlie N. Holmberg
Character(s):
Enna Rydar: 20 years old, Brunette, Blue Eyed
Maekallus: Red, Yellow Eyed
Setting:
Tag(s): Romance, Fantasy, Supernatural
Content Rating: PG
POV: First Person (Heroine)
Smexy Level: Subtle
Favorite Quote(s):
― "Beware the narvals, formed from the spilled blood of bastards. They feed upon souls, and will steal one with a willing kiss."
― "Little mortal, you’ve just half a soul left. Be careful how you
JenacideByBibliophile
“The strong prey on the weak, it has always been so. The setting is just happenstance.”

description

A species called mystings have been wandering the human realm and the wildwood near Enna’s village for years. They lurk through the darkness of the trees, killing and consuming those left unprotected or caught unawares. But Enna has always been kept safe by a charm on her wrist that warns of a mystings proximity-a charm her father stole from the monster realm. So when her home is suddenly attacked by not o
Alexandria ☾
Thanks to NetGalley for sending me a free arc of this to read and review.

What is a soul if not an extension of the heart?

This was so freaking good. Like Jesus Christ, I didn't expect this.

I went back and forth on whether to give this 4.5 or 5 stars, since this is an arc and I tend to be more strict about books I'm obligated to review, but I've decided to rate this 5 stars simply because I feel that the overall enjoyment this book gave me far outweighs its flaws, not that there are many to be
Stacy Fetters
"Monsters are only ever fascinating from afar."

The Shape of Water meets Beauty and the Beast in this enthralling retelling that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and your heart beat ten times faster.

Enna has a personal connection to Mystings and knows the fear that they bring out. Her Mother was killed by one while she was pregnant with Enna. Her Father saved her life by cutting her out of the womb. Now it’s only the two of them and her Father isn’t in the best of health.

Liv
Caitlyn McFarland
I got to read this as Charlie was writing it. Heavy romance + gorgeous fantasy with a dark and whimsical edge--this really is Charlie at her best.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to 47North for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
The Nerd Daily
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Zoë Leonarczyk

Newly released, The Will and the Wilds is a magical retelling of the classic fairytale Beauty and the Beast. In a time where Beauty and the Beast retellings are plentiful in the market, Holmberg sets her story apart by creating a new otherworldly realm. This story is a fantastic read for anyone who loves fairy tale retellings!

As a self-proclaimed Beauty and the Beast retelling critic, I was hesitant going in to this book, but after
Zøe Haslie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
· “What is a soul if not an extension of the heart?” ·

*I got an ARC of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Let me just say it’s been a while since I last read a Fantasy YA novel and this one was simply ~A m a z i n g~. The beautiful narrative pulled me right in from the very first line and kept me hooked until the last dot. Having said that, I must also admit that the cover and the blurp were most captivating for me at the time of requesting a review copy. Could a kiss
Dany
Will and the Wilds follows Enna who "oops I summoned a demon and he asks my soul" and Maekallus "I'm a broody smirking hottie with horns who's gonna steal your soul , babe"

Enna is the plain YA protagonist who's living far from the town and has her own plantation and doesn't need to actually talk with people. Except for her really sick father she has to take care of. Her family history is obviously a "mystery" with her dad's slipping memory.

Maekallus is that character who can be easily found roam
Dawn Michelle
Sigh.

I love this author. I have loved every book I have read by her and was truly excited to see this on NetGalley and then to receive it as an ARC. And then I started reading it and that is when my excitement ended. From almost the beginning, I knew this book was not really for me, but I kept reading because as I said before, I LOVE this author. And as I read, the more it became apparent I was not going to love this book.

This book was boring. B O R I N G. I didn't feel anything for Enna at al
micolreads
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I struggled to finish this book. I did not like it in the end and I kept hoping to see some development, instead I was given a plain plot and characters. Nothing much to say, I will definitely read something else of this author because I actually liked her writing style, it was just the story overall that was not for me.

Only thing I can save is the world building that was good overall, not really complex but not completely plain.

Final vote: 2/5

Ebook provided by NetGalley in exchange of an hones
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
4.5 Stars

THE WILL AND THE WILDS is a story of loss, family, and love set in a world where monsters lurk in the woods and where a girl lives secluded with her father outside a small town. The setting is vividly drawn, with complex characters that are easy to like, and a story that is mysterious and entertaining from beginning to the end. Highly recommended to fantasy fans who like stories with a bit of a darker edge!

I connected and fell in love with Enna, the protagonist, from the start. She was
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I wanted to read this after my friend Nenia read it and mentioned the movie Labyrinth in one of her updates. Naturally, I had to request it from NetGalley, because any comparison to Labyrinth, however minuscule, must not be taken lightly.

I ended up really enjoying it! It was a rather slow-paced novel, and as a result, I took a while to read it. Not for lack of interest, but because the book seemed to demand it.

For such a short book, the characterization and world-building were great. Without say
Lindsey
“Little mortal, you’ve just half a soul left. Be careful how you divide it.”

I loved this! It was a wonderful fairy tale (a Beauty and the Beast retelling, I think?) with a slow burn... low in steam, but with plenty of feels. The world building was really intriguing, without being overly-complicated (it was refreshing, honestly). I loved the MCs (Maekallus was especially interesting), and their predicament was really engaging. It was interesting to see how their relationship developed as a re
Kaycee Sterling
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I’ve been so excited for this book and I wasn’t disappointed at all! As always, Charlie N Holmberg tells an amazing story! I loved this book as much as I love the rest of her work. Great characters, unique world, and amazing love story!

Thank you 47North for allowing me to read this book through Netgalley for an honest review.
Joanna Meyer
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-tbr
This book will make you Feel Things. Gorgeous and strange, in the best way.
Sheila Goicea
I received an ARC of this book from 47North via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Gore, Death, Mental Health
Without a soul, she doesn't have a will.

The Wild and the Wilds is a story about how a soul ultimately defines the line between the human and the monster. The town of Fendell is situated on the edge of the Wilds—a
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
This book tried really hard to be all creepy and mystical and haunting and magical, and stuff. Like The Bear and the Nightingale or Uprooted or something. Unfortunately, it didn't quite make it.

PLOT

The plot centres on 20-year-old Enna Rydar, an only child who lives with her mentally disturbed father near the wildwood - a forest where the barrier between the mortal realm and mysting realm is notoriously thin. Mystings are basically fae, and they're highly dangerous. Enna has a Telling Stone
Babel
What a pleasurable read. This book is a cozy fantasy rich in monstruous folklore and the value of the soul.

Set in the deep of the woods, against a backdrop of superstition and bigotry, two opposing worlds collide in the form of a bright girl and a wild creature.

I loved it all. I took a liking to Enna right away because she is smart, brave yet cautious, sweet and caring yet driven and hungry for knowledge. She dabbles in herbs, craves to find out the secrets of the monsters lurking in the danger
Stephanie Augustine
**Thank you to the publishers for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review**

FEEDBACK

Everytime I start a Charlie novel I try to go in with an open mind. It’s no secret that I am obsessed with her work so I try to have an unbiased opinion with each book. However, she has been teasing me with this book for a while now so it was hard not to go in with super high expectations. But she went above and beyond what I had hoped for this book. The Will and the Wilds is a reminder of why I love Cha
Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah🥀🐍
Charming and whimsical. Read like a fairytale, short and sweet and deliciously atmospheric.

Enna, a reclusive girl living in the wild woods with her ailing father strikes a bargain with a mystical creature, a brooding devilish prankster named Maekallus, to keep her safe from monsters lurking near their home. The deal goes awry, and their fates are connected, with Maekallus stuck in the mortal plane and forced to keep both of them alive by stealing bits of Enna's soul through kisses (yes, kisses,
Marta Cox
I don't think is deliberately a YA retelling of Beauty and the Beast but I can certainly understand that some readers would consider it so because it's a book about a girl of good heart entangled in the life of a rather unattractive male. I personally thought it reminded me more of the infamous Loki because I as a reader was tricked as much as the heroine Enna was but then again that's entirely my own fault because Maekallus never tried to hide his true nature.
Instead we follow this journey and
Sam Glasbrenner (Sassyowlreads)
I really enjoyed this book! I'm always impressed by how well Charlie Holmberg world-builds in only about 200 pages. I'd definitely love a spin-off set in the same world *hint hint*

I really enjoyed the little blurbs from the book of Mysting knowledge that Enna's Grandmother wrote and that Enna adds too. It's a great way to drop little bits of world-building without getting too bogged down it. I also found myself wanting to know more about the history of Enna's father. It sounds like he has had b

• The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Gudetama: Love for the Lazy
  • Hero's Haven (Dark Protectors #11)
  • Foul Is Fair
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Mooncakes
  • A Monster Like Me
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • Unfollow Me
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Beyond a Darkened Shore
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
Charlie N. Holmberg is an award-winning, best-selling, and internationally published author of fantasy and romantic fiction. She was raised a Trekkie alongside three sisters, who also have boy names. She is a proud BYU alumna, plays the ukulele, owns too many pairs of glasses, and finally adopted a dog. She currently lives with her family in Utah. Visit her at www.charlienholmberg.com.

Amazon: amzn