Start by marking “The Will and the Wilds” as Want to Read:
The Will and the Wilds

The Will and the Wilds

A spellbinding story of truce and trickery from the Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Paper Magician series.

Enna knows to fear the mystings that roam the wildwood near her home. When one tries to kill her to obtain an enchanted stone, Enna takes a huge risk: fighting back with a mysting of her own.

Maekallus’s help isn’t free. His price? A kiss. One with the

Published January 21st 2020 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Will and the Wilds, please sign up.
✿ lorraine This book is a standalone! Although there is certainly a lot of room for Holmberg to write more stories in this universe, The Will and the Wilds ends…moreThis book is a standalone! Although there is certainly a lot of room for Holmberg to write more stories in this universe, The Will and the Wilds ends with no cliffhanger or any reason for there to be a sequel.(less)

Start your review of The Will and the Wilds
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
267 pages
Publication: January 21st

A story of a girl and a monster.

I really enjoyed this book. I love fairy tales and am just starting to get more into the fantasy genre so this was a great book that had aspects of both of those. The characters were fully developed and completely awesome, even the supporting characters. There are hero’s and villains, humans and monsters, magic spells, enchanted stones and all that jazz. What could be better?

This is the story of a girl named Enna who is a bit of
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“ What is a soul if not an extension of the heart”!
This great quote of the book and Paper Magician series author’s attempt to retell Beauty and Beast made me buy new dancing shoes and work on a new happy dance moves to celebrate it! (This time I went back to retro and added some figures of Vanilla Ice and Janet Jackson to my choreography!)

Just a small kiss could determine the souls’ paths between life and death! This book is capturing you from its first page, enchanting you with those magical,
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE WILL AND THE WILDS took me a while to read because it's a slow and odd book that, despite its length, builds up to its climax slowly. I ended up liking it because it reminded me a lot of the fairytale stories I read as a kid by authors with triple-barreled names like as Diana Wynne Jones and Margaret Peterson Haddix and Gail Carson Levine and Vivian Vande Velde, but I already know that some readers probably aren't going to like it
Constantine
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre: Fantasy + Romance + Young Adult

Enna lives with her ill father in the wildwood. Many kinds of mystings roam there all the time. They are after something she has. She needs to get rid of them by making a deal with one (Maekallus) but what is the catch? To give up her soul? or give up her heart?

I always wanted to read the Paper Magic series by Charlie N. Holmberg but that has not happened yet. I decided to pick up this standalone fantasy since it is her latest work. First
Stacy Fetters
"Monsters are only ever fascinating from afar."

The Shape of Water meets Beauty and the Beast in this enthralling retelling that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and your heart beat ten times faster.

Enna has a personal connection to Mystings and knows the fear that they bring out. Her Mother was killed by one while she was pregnant with Enna. Her Father saved her life by cutting her out of the womb. Now it’s only the two of them and her Father isn’t in the best of health.

Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Rating: (4/5 Stars)
Maekallus: Red, Yellow Eyed
Setting:
Tag(s): Romance, Fantasy, Supernatural
Content Rating: PG
POV: First Person (Heroine)
Smexy Level: Subtle
Favorite Quote(s):
― "Beware the narvals, formed from the spilled blood of bastards. They feed upon souls, and will steal one with a willing kiss."
― "Little mortal, you’ve just half a soul left. Be careful how you
JenacideByBibliophile
“The strong prey on the weak, it has always been so. The setting is just happenstance.”

description

A species called mystings have been wandering the human realm and the wildwood near Enna’s village for years. They lurk through the darkness of the trees, killing and consuming those left unprotected or caught unawares. But Enna has always been kept safe by a charm on her wrist that warns of a mystings proximity-a charm her father stole from the monster realm. So when her home is suddenly attacked by not
Rae
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
ARC Received via NetGalley for an honest review

You can find this review and others on my blog here:

Charlie Holmberg, you've done it again!!!

I fell in love with Charlie Holmberg back when I read her Paper Magician series. I have always been a fan of origami so when I read the synopsis that it was about a magical origami I couldn't pass it up. Instantly I knew that I found a new favorite author. I flew through that series and couldn't help but want more!!!
Tucker
Jan 09, 2020 marked it as arcs-finished-copies-to-read  ·  review of another edition

Many thanks to 47North for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Caitlyn McFarland
I got to read this as Charlie was writing it. Heavy romance + gorgeous fantasy with a dark and whimsical edge--this really is Charlie at her best.
Alexandria ☾
Thanks to NetGalley for sending me a free arc of this to read and review.

What is a soul if not an extension of the heart?

This was so freaking good. Like Jesus Christ, I didn't expect this.

I went back and forth on whether to give this 4.5 or 5 stars, since this is an arc and I tend to be more strict about books I'm obligated to review, but I've decided to rate this 5 stars simply because I feel that the overall enjoyment this book gave me far outweighs its flaws, not that there are many to
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
This book tried really hard to be all creepy and mystical and haunting and magical, and stuff. Like The Bear and the Nightingale or Uprooted or something. Unfortunately, it didn't quite make it.

PLOT

The plot centres on 20-year-old Enna Rydar, an only child who lives with her mentally disturbed father near the wildwood - a forest where the barrier between the mortal realm and mysting realm is notoriously thin. Mystings are basically fae, and they're highly dangerous. Enna has a Telling Stone
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I wanted to read this after my friend Nenia read it and mentioned the movie Labyrinth in one of her updates. Naturally, I had to request it from NetGalley, because any comparison to Labyrinth, however minuscule, must not be taken lightly.

I ended up really enjoying it! It was a rather slow-paced novel, and as a result, I took a while to read it. Not for lack of interest, but because the book seemed to demand it.

For such a short book, the characterization and world-building were great. Without
Marta Cox
I don't think is deliberately a YA retelling of Beauty and the Beast but I can certainly understand that some readers would consider it so because it's a book about a girl of good heart entangled in the life of a rather unattractive male. I personally thought it reminded me more of the infamous Loki because I as a reader was tricked as much as the heroine Enna was but then again that's entirely my own fault because Maekallus never tried to hide his true nature.
Instead we follow this journey and
Dawn Michelle
Sigh.

I love this author. I have loved every book I have read by her and was truly excited to see this on NetGalley and then to receive it as an ARC. And then I started reading it and that is when my excitement ended. From almost the beginning, I knew this book was not really for me, but I kept reading because as I said before, I LOVE this author. And as I read, the more it became apparent I was not going to love this book.

This book was boring. B O R I N G. I didn't feel anything for Enna at
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Nov 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)
Aly
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
This was such a cool world! I liked the idea of this book and the world has so much possibility. The magic and mystic creatures and half bloods are so interesting and I'm really hoping for more in this universe. I enjoyed Enna and Maekallus as characters and their relationship was slow and beautiful and well written. I also liked seeing Enna with her father and how much she loved him. I can't wait for the world to see this!
Chelsea
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
I really liked the idea of this book but the execution was really disappointing. The characters were one-dimensional, the world wasn't explained well and it felt like everything happened too quickly but it was still somehow boring. It was also told in duel perspective and it shouldn't have been. I felt like knowing what was going on from Maekallus's perspective gave too much away. Overall, it felt like a poorly written debut and it shouldn't have with as many books as this author has written.
Dany
Will and the Wilds follows Enna who "oops I summoned a demon and he asks my soul" and Maekallus "I'm a broody smirking hottie with horns who's gonna steal your soul , babe"

Enna is the plain YA protagonist who's living far from the town and has her own plantation and doesn't need to actually talk with people. Except for her really sick father she has to take care of. Her family history is obviously a "mystery" with her dad's slipping memory.

Maekallus is that character who can be easily found
julie
Aug 01, 2019 marked it as arcs-tbr
Shelves: fantasy, adult
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sheila Goicea
I received an ARC of this book from 47North via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Gore, Death, Mental Health
Without a soul, she doesn't have a will.

The Wild and the Wilds is a story about how a soul ultimately defines the line between the human and the monster. The town of Fendell is situated on the edge of the Wilds—a
Rebecca Crunden
Dec 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Description: Maekallus’s help isn’t free. His price? A kiss. One with the power to steal her soul. But their deal leaves Maekallus bound to the mortal realm, which begins eating him alive.

Me:
Kaycee Sterling
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been so excited for this book and I wasn’t disappointed at all! As always, Charlie N Holmberg tells an amazing story! I loved this book as much as I love the rest of her work. Great characters, unique world, and amazing love story!

Thank you 47North for allowing me to read this book through Netgalley for an honest review.
Shannon (discoverelysian)
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Available on Kindle Unlimited!

This is a story about a human girl who lives with her father near the Wildwood, where mystings roam free from where they came from, The Deep. There, she takes care of her ill father. One day, a mysting come close to her home. To get rid of it, she decided to make a bargain with another mysting. But little did she know that something dangerous is coming. And she forgets
Babel
What a pleasurable read. This book is a cozy fantasy rich in monstruous folklore and the value of the soul.

Set in the deep of the woods, against a backdrop of superstition and bigotry, two opposing worlds collide in the form of a bright girl and a wild creature.

I loved it all. I took a liking to Enna right away because she is smart, brave yet cautious, sweet and caring yet driven and hungry for knowledge. She dabbles in herbs, craves to find out the secrets of the monsters lurking in the
ℳacarena
~This ARC has been gently provided in exchange for an honest review~

Enna is a twenty-year-old woman who lives with his father. He was a swordsman many years ago; he fought in The War That Almost Was between mystings and humans. As a consequence of being in the monster realm, his brain has been damaged, so he forget things, and he tends to lose the notion of time. Therefore, Enna takes care of his father, and they only have each other. Enna’s mother died when she was little; she was killed by
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I absolutely love when a cover perfectly represents what is inside. This one is so pretty too- I love the colors.

Enna is an endearing character. Her soul is a main source of focus in this story and for good reason. It really does burn brightly and purely. As Enna shares her soul with Maekallus, he begins to feel and realize things long forgotten. I loved the contrast between dark and light in relation to Enna's soul. The relationship develops slowly between Enna and Maekallus as they work
Joanna Meyer
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-tbr
This book will make you Feel Things. Gorgeous and strange, in the best way.
April Sarah
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
*ARC received from #Netgalley in return for an honest review*
Video Review: https://youtu.be/ke8OFlk-5N8

This story has a very 'Beauty and the Beast' vibe. Which isn't at all surprising given the characters involved. It was a very standard young adult read with a dark, hard heart creature loving a soft woman.

You have a story of a very heart-wrenching romance. I felt Enna's grief the most. She was the character that compelled me. She was very strong-willed and wanted to be very educated, so I
Keri
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
***Thank you so much to Wunderkind PR and 47North for sending me a physical copy for review***

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Welp, this book kept me up until 3:30am one night because I couldn’t bear to put it down. This romantic fantasy standalone was such a refreshing read and I’m sad that I devoured it so quickly!

The Will and the Wilds follows Enna, a young woman considered an oddity among her small town. She spends her days minding the household, selling mushrooms from her and her father’s small

• Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
  • When Wishes Bleed
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Gudetama: Love for the Lazy
  • Hero's Haven (Dark Protectors #11)
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Mooncakes
  • A Monster Like Me
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • Unfollow Me
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • Would Like to Meet
Charlie N. Holmberg is the award-winning author of the Numina series, The Fifth Doll, and many others. Her Wall Street Journal bestselling Paper Magician series, which includes The Paper Magician, The Glass Magician, and The Master Magician, has been optioned by the Walt Disney Company. Charlie’s stand-alone novel, Followed by Frost, was nominated for a 2016 RITA Award for Best Young Adult ...more
“Monsters are only ever fascinating from afar.” 0 likes