Start by marking “On the Occasion of a Wedding: Eclectic Love Poems” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  36 ratings  ·  24 reviews
On the Occasion of a Wedding is a collection of poetry celebrating what it means to truly love another person. From the soulfully simple to the humorously erotic. From the deeply spiritual to the painfully profound.

The book is divided into four chapters, each blending a variety of literary styles. Readers are taken on a heartfelt journey through love’s blessing
Published March 23rd 2019

To ask other readers questions about On the Occasion of a Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Occasion of a Wedding

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of On the Occasion of a Wedding: Eclectic Love Poems
Jessica
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, romance
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I loved that this book was written for a wedding gift to a couple. The dedication says, “To Kristi and Matthew - who are receiving this book as a wedding gift instead of something more practical off their registry.”

description

The collection was divided into 4 sections and my favorite was Amor Insanus. That section had all the best poems. They were funny and sexual but still managed to be beautiful and not crude. My
Pallavi Sareen
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first thing I read when I opened this book was where it is mentioned that this book was meant as a wedding gift and is there anything cuter than that?
Yes, the poems that are written in the book.
I found the poems to be so beautifully written and profound that I got agitated why the author limited her target audience by associating the book with weddings. It is a book filled with love poetry and it also encompasses all other angles of a relationship. If this book had a different title,
Jim Bennett
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, do not let my star count override your judgement of content. More on the stars, counting, and my rating challenges later. Five stars for me was an easy decision. Now for the good stuff, Bowen’s work.
For an early example, turn to Quanta Qualia, which ends thus: “for I was unconscious before you /and now I am divine.”
Again in I Am Yours, a Soulful Avowal, we find this: “I am bound to you, /not by vow, nor by will, nor by law, /but by divine grace.”
Spoiler alert: this i
Sheree | Keeping Up With The Penguins
Ollie was kind enough to send me a copy of this collection to review, and what a delightful surprise it was!

The title isn't an ironic, cutesy attention-grabber - the dedication (which I love!) reveals that it is literally intended as a wedding gift for friends of Ollie's, "instead of something more practical off their registry". Perfection! Given that, it would make a great gift for the newlyweds that are impossible to buy for, be sure to keep it in mind next wedding season.
Linda Hill
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What could be better as a wedding gift than a collection of love poems?

On the Occasion of a Wedding is an incredible volume of poems to which I don’t think my reader brain or this review can do justice.

On one level, all the poems in On the Occasion of a Wedding can be enjoyed relatively easily and superficially for the beauty of their appearance, their rhythms and cadences alongside some wonderful illustrations and for their ease of accessibility. On other occasions I fou
Benjamin Richard
Stunning collection with wisdom, humor, and profound prose

I began reading this collection with a thousand distractions pulling my attention away. But by the third or fourth poem, everything else faded away. It is divided into sections, each of them thoughtfully crafted and unified with common themes. This book feels like a journey almost. As if the beginning was what we need to hear about marriage and ending with what we can learn from marriage.

A few of my favorites are “Monarchs”, “The Pru
Grady
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The kaleidoscope of love

California author Ollie Bowen, with degrees in education, science and business, is not only a scholar, she is also a poet. This appears to be her first publication of her poetry and it is an impressive debut!

Ollie labels this collection as ‘eclectic love poems’ and adds a note of sensitivity with the titles of sections in this collection - Flores Caelesti (heavenly flowers), Caelo Marique (sky and sea), Amor Insanus (crazy love), and Pluit et Lucet
Ollie Bowen
Jun 05, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
EDITORIAL PRAISE FOR OLLIE BOWEN AND ON THE OCCASION OF WEDDING

"...captures the human heart powerfully... Each poem is a precious breath...a longing, a fulfillment." -- Readers' Favorite

"A heartfelt and subtly tender collection, there is a sense of intimacy behind every word." -- Self-Publishing Review

"Bowen’s bright intensity is infectious and satisfying; no matter what form she traces or metaphor she uses, love in all its splendor persists." -- IndieReader

"[Ollie Bowen's]...poems show much promise in their prAND ON
Valery
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Few things could be more appropriate as a gift for a wedding than a beautiful collection of love poems. On the Occasion of a Wedding: Eclectic Love Poems by Ollie Bown is one such example. The collection is broken out into sections: Flores Caelesti (heavenly flowers),Caelo Marique (sky and sea),Amor Insanus (crazy love),Pluit et Lucet (rains and shines). For those embarking on a new marriage, and for those who have entered marriage, endured, and prospered through marriage, this is a bold collect ...more
Shanell Meek
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book full of beautiful words that make beautiful poems into a beautiful love story.

This is a compilation of poems designed to say what it truly means to love another. This book was actually compiled and put together to be a wedding gift for a friend of the author. The poems are sweet, some sticky sweet and some are intense with a touch of vinegar because we all know that real love isn’t always sticky sweet! Each poem is unique and beautiful as poems should be. They each try to express
Pegboard
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ollie Bowen’s thoughtfulness to a friend results in On the Occasion of a Wedding: Eclectic Love Poems. Ollie covers many areas of a relationship; the gratitude of a bride for the groom’s mother, friendship, times when things are not always a bed of roses, emotional love, and physical love. These poems don’t rhyme, but the words blend and flow to complete a picture the author wishes to convey to the reader.

I found On the Occasion of a Wedding: Eclectic Love Poems sweet as Ollie Bowen view
Jennifer Yoder
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection of poems is very sweet and goes through the different stages of a marriage. It mostly is devoted to love and admiration, but also has poems to cover other parts from the ups to the downs (although not too down). There are poems of different lengths and types, but all dedicated to the subject of relationships. Some are a bit cliche' and a little cheesy, but overall they are cute and appreciable.

This book would definitely make a cute wedding gift and would be enjoyed by true poetr
Johanna Lee
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A medley of poetry and illustrations, this book of poems will leave you thinking of its truths about love and all its appearances and permutations in the natural world, mundane world, and beyond. Traversing a wide breadth of linguistic, cultural, and botanical territory, the poems are accessible even without possessing a full grasp of the mechanics of poetry. At times humorous and esoteric, this collection of poems makes a strong case for the sides of love less visibly seen, like the beauty of g ...more
Jennifer Wilson
This book of poetry just wasn’t something that I could get into. While there was many of the poems that were wonderfully written and beautiful, many of them I just couldn’t get. I loved that this book was a wedding gift to a newly married couple. It’s incredibly thoughtful for someone to do this, rather than a traditional gift for a wedding. This has more meaning and thought behind it. Don’t let my review keep you from reading and making your own opinions.
Doreena Silva
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: goodreads-win, kindle
Thank you to the Author Ollie Bowen for a copy of this book that I won on Goodreads.
I absolutely loved this book.
The fact that it was meant to be a wedding gift makes it all the more special.
I found it to be sincere, funny, quirky, romantic and just a beautiful book to read for any occasions.
An awesome read for serenity or a quick pick me up.
Eclectic for sure as I had to look up a lot of words in it!
Corrine Cassels
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It's so hard to rate poetry since it is such a subjective art form. I enjoyed the flow of these poems, how they went from intense, consuming love, to content, to frustration, to longing, etc. Very fitting for the metaphor of marriage itself. Although I did enjoy most, some were a little too scattered or silly for me, but again, poetry is subjective. Overall, this was a quick easy read for those who love poetry and lots will hit home if you've ever been married.
Christine
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poetry beautifully written

Beautifully written words in a novel ! If you like a little bit of everything in a poetry book this would be it ! Very well written ! I loved many of the beautiful poetry in this novel ! I highly recommend this masterpiece of beautiful words written into a novel !
Lynn
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this ebook from Goodreads Giveaway. I could see reviews from people who loved the poems, but nothing spoke to me as outstsnding. I know the author wrote this as a gift to friends for the occasion of their wedding. I think when directed to specific people like this, they would cherish the thoughts. Just not my genre.
Berry's Poetry Book Reviews
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ollie Bowen's work is a dream many poets struggle to believe can come true. With gentle hammer taps her poetry of love strikes true again and again and again.
Read the full review:
Ramona
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the Occasion of a Wedding: Eclectic Love Poems

This is a book of poetry. I’m not sure how they tie in with Weddings. I would recommend this book to everyone who loves poetry. I won this book through a giveaway on Goodreads website.
Cindy Hunt
A book of poems

This is a fast read. I had an impression from the synopsis this would be a compilation of sweet, romantic poems. It is not.
Wanda
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freudian

Some I enjoyed, some I did not. Freudian Slips of(f) the Thong was hilarious and oh so true!!! That one I am sure to tell my friends about.
Kathy Webb
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this Kindle edition book in a GoodReads
Giveaway. Thank you to everyone involved.
A beautiful collection of love poems.
Lauren

• Chasers of the Light: Poems from the Typewriter Series
  • A Predator and A Psychopath
  • After the Flood
  • When The Haboob Sings
  • Getting The Best Care: Rescue Your Loved One from the Healthcare Conveyor Belt
  • Quintessence: The Poetry of True Nature
  • Remember
  • High Flying
  • Moral Compass
  • The Trouble with Christmas (Credence, Colorado #2)
  • Shocks at Shipley Academy
  • The Little Light (The Guardians of the Lore #1)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • You Were There Too
  • Enemy Immortal
  • Lulu's Cafe
  • The Poison Garden
  • The Laureate (Nico Argenti Book 1)
  • Sophie Washington: Mismatch
  • She's Out (Dolly Rawlins, #3)
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Silent Spring: Deadly Autumn of the Vietnam War
  • Pinky: And The Magical Secret He Kept Inside
  • Sunflowers
  • silence echoed: poetries that heal
  • Kill Code
  • The Perfect Gentleman (Harbor Springs #2)
ollie bowen is an author and scholar. she holds degrees in education, business, and science, though her favorite subject is rhetorical argument.

she currently resides in northern california with her husband, plethora of children, and semi-loyal dog.

on the occasion of a wedding: eclectic love poems is her debut collection of poetry.
“manful potency