Start by marking “Dark Winds Over Wellington” as Want to Read:
Dark Winds Over Wellington

Dark Winds Over Wellington

Horror and speculative fiction author Tabatha Wood invites you to the Coolest Little Capital, where nothing is quite what it seems. Strange creatures lurk in the shadows of the Beehive, while a beast From The Deep is determined to destroy us all. Being Neighbourly might just change your life, and if you listen closely you can hear demonic Whispers in the wind.

So sit back,
Published March 20th 2019 by Wild Wood Books (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Winds Over Wellington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Winds Over Wellington

Start your review of Dark Winds Over Wellington
J Mills
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories is fantastic. At first, you wonder how things will transpire from story to story, but with each new tale, there's a new perspective shown on the 'not so' little city of Wellington. There's all sorts of things to unpack, but the main thing that stays with you is the emotion conveyed through each character. A lot of raw emotion is shown through, and there's a huge focus on all sorts of things that everyone can understand, including the mental well-being of individu ...more
Aiden Merchant
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 out of 5*

"The subtitle to this collection is Chilling Tales of the Weird & the Strange; I find this quite appropriate, because - despite its elements of horror - these stories mostly tell of odd things, not necessarily terrors ... .... Tabatha Wood is not only a great writer, but a creator fueled by a wonderfully odd and stimulating imagination. Dark Winds Over Wellington brings both the terror and heart necessary to create a compelling collection." --- My full review will appear on DeadHea
Yvonne Davies
To get a feel for a new author to me, I love reading their short stories. Whilst I am not a writer, I would guess that writing a short story is as difficult as writing a novel. You only have a few pages to get your story across and need to grab the reader's interest from the start. This collection of short stories were great, there was not one story that I did not enjoy and as it was set in New Zealand, I learnt more about the country.
This author had a way of turning the ordinary into the extrao
Kurt
Dec 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Continuing my read of Kiwi stories following CoNZealand. A collection of stories around Wellington (obviously). It was kind of odd to read this after having been there and being able to see various places in my mind that I'd recently seen in person. As with any story collection, different pieces worked for me more than others, but overall, I enjoyed it. ...more
Penny Jones
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dark Winds over Wellington is the debut collection from author Tabatha Wood (who also designed the atmospheric cover art for the book).
Tabatha although now living in New Zealand is originally from England, and displacement is a running theme throughout her collection, which melds together the folklore of New Zealand with Tabatha's more gothic style of writing.

Nature and environmentalism are also strong themes running through this collection, nowhere is this seen more strongly, than in Neighbou
Jacqui Greaves
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wellington at its weirdest

These are the stories of the city I called home for many years. Anyone whose called themselves a Wellingtonian will recognise the city, so normal on the surface, so very strange and dark beneath. Tabatha Wood has created a wonderful collection of tales, filled with delciously macabre twists of the mundane, where a cup of coffee is suspicious, and the line between fiction and reality is blurred. I look forward to reading more by Ms Wood.
K.M.
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Strange stories of Wellington, New Zealand

I really enjoyed the chilling stories in this volume. The prose is clear and empathetic, without gratuitous violence, even though some of the stories are quite unsettling. Very well done.
Sarah Lee
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2020

• This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)
  • Submerged
  • The Bees
  • Growing Up Queer in Australia
  • The Burning River
  • The Old Lie
  • The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut Universe, #2)
  • A Dark History: Vikings
  • Ivory Vikings: The Mystery of the Most Famous Chessmen in the World and the Woman Who Made Them
  • Pūrākau: Māori Myths Retold by Māori Writers
  • The Distant Echo (Inspector Karen Pirie, #1)
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories
  • A Darker Domain (Inspector Karen Pirie, #2)
  • Call Me Evie
Tabatha Wood lives in New Zealand and writes weird, dark fiction and uplifting poetry. Despite her obsession with the strange and unusual, she considers herself mostly harmless.

A former English teacher and library manager, Tabatha’s first published books were non-fiction guides for those working in education. She now teaches from home while writing in her spare time.