Start by marking “When the Teacher Isn't Looking: And Other Funny School Poems. Kenn Nesbitt” as Want to Read:
When the Teacher Isn't Looking: And Other Funny School Poems. Kenn Nesbitt

When the Teacher Isn't Looking: And Other Funny School Poems. Kenn Nesbitt

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Schoolchildren and their teachers will love this collection of wacky poems, poking fun at everything that goes on while the teacher's back is turned, including burping, dart flying and food fights.
Published August 1st 2005 by Meadowbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about When the Teacher Isn't Looking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Teacher Isn't Looking

Kelly
This book of humorous poems would reach its audience well. There are light illustrations that go with the poems that are good enhancements. Most of the poems are about school.
Jeffery Worrell
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Abril
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This classic book of children's poetry written by Kenn Nesbitt shows humorous accounts given in the form of poems that any student or educator can relate to. It is a revelation into what every student and teacher is thinking when they drag themselves out of bed and into school in the morning. In his poem, Good Morning, Dear Students, Nesbitt extends the opportunity for a child's imagination to soar as he describes what every student would rather be doing as the teacher addressing the students te ...more
Andrea Boyd
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I really loved this book. This collection of silly poems would be perfect for a teacher to read to the class to make them laugh. Students will be able to relate to the crazy going ons at the school in the book. While the kindergarten/1st grade crowd would enjoy it, the 2nd graders and up would probably really enjoy reading this themselves during silent reading or paired reading with a classmate. The rhyming poems have a nice, easy flow to them and I never had to reread a line to make it read cor ...more
Sadie Vore
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book because I loved the variety of poems that it contained. I would recommend reading this to lower to mid-elementary age groups. For example, I would read a poem everyday or every other day just for a funny, free time. I do not think there is any content that parents or teachers need to be aware of. All of the poems are humorous and and fun to listen to. They are fun to imagine happening. The plot is either at home or at school depending on the poem you are reading. Definitely rec ...more
Elnara Browers
Summary: funny poems about students and teachers with sometimes unexpected endings.
Book Level: Middle grades. ATOS and Lexile not available.
Mentor writer trait: sentences vary in length, some are rhymed some are prose. Word choice is unique to each poems: author either includes many names, alphabet letters, game names or modern gadgets to make it relevant to a young reader.
Recommendation: Break time read aloud, independent reading, writing lesson on short poems about self, school, homework, etc.
Brianna Morris
This is a specialized anthology of poems about funny things that could happen in a classroom. The particular poem I liked was "Good Morning Dear Students," which talked about how the secretary announces that is okay to break all of the school rules but then announces that is April Fool's Day. This is a very fun collection of poems that may get children excited about reading poetry.
Rachel
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, children, 2015
Some of these poems are more outstanding than others, though children are sure to enjoy the classic themes revolving around school. Several of these poems lack consistent meter and are predictable, seeming to piggyback off writers like Silverstein and Prelutsky. However, Nesbitt is at his most winning when he is whimsical ("Jessica Jean") and endearing ("Lunchbox Love Note").
Stephanie Dunson
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-5
I really enjoyed this book. There are many poems about the daily life of a child, and things they may encounter or be interested in. One of my favorite poems was "My Computer Ate My Homework". There are many times I've encountered losing something on the computer and I could definitely relate!
Savannah Shields
This is a great, and fun book of poems for school aged children. It uses students crazy ideas about school and teachers, and puts them all into poems that gets children's minds boggling and creates a fun environment for the classroom.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
196971
Kenn Nesbitt is the author of several collections of funny poetry for kids, including Revenge of the Lunch Ladies, When the Teacher Isn't Looking, and The Aliens Have Landed at Our School! His poems have appeared many bestselling anthologies, including every book in the popular Kids Pick the Funniest Poems series, and anthologies from Scholastic with nearly 2 million copies in print. He is also th ...more
More about Kenn Nesbitt...