Start by marking “Love Poems for People with Children” as Want to Read:
Love Poems for People with Children

Love Poems for People with Children

In the spirit of his wildly popular New Yorker pieces and the New York Times bestseller Love Poems for Married People, Thurber-prize winner John Kenney presents a hilarious new collection of poetry for people with children.

With the same brilliant wit and hilarious realism that made Love Poems for Married People such a hit, John Kenney is back with a brand new collection of
Published October 15th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems for People with Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems for People with Children

Start your review of Love Poems for People with Children
Scott
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it

"No offense to either of you,
but I preferred the idea of kids
to actual kids"
-- excerpt from 'For Lulu & Hewitt'

Author Kenney extolls the joy (cough cough) and trials of parenthood in the 21st century with his collection of 40+ poems. Much of the humor - which could effortlessly translate into a stand-up routine - is droll and on-target in this slim volume, with some occasionally laugh-worthy moments like 'JFK-LAX' (a cross-country flight with a toddler), 'Saturday Night' (where
Sara Peoples
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a laugh out loud pallet refresher that I ended up reading most of aloud to my husband. Pure fun.
The Lit Bitch
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Kenney is absolutely hysterical. I read one of his other ‘Love Poems’ books earlier this year and couldn’t get enough of how real and honest it was!

Love Poems for Married People was a delight to read for both my husband and I and we often found ourselves laughing until we cried over one poem or another.

I had no idea that he was working on another book of poems until it arrived on my desk for review. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to read it. So I blocked out an hour of time and read it
Julie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Truth.
Erino
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to his next book of poems. Spot on in so many ways!
Michael
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, family
I enjoy a good collection of poems. I enjoy humor about parenting and kids. Who knew there was a way to get both in one book! John Kenney knew that it was possible and wrote a lovely set of poems about being a parent. Mind you this isn’t a set of poems saying parenting is amazing and glorifies parents. No, this set of poems looks at what a parent really is. A person trying to survive. Kids can be difficult and all you want to do is escape. Sure you love your kids but they can be impossible. If ...more
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eva
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excerpt from new book of poetry gifted to me by @PutnamBooks {#partner}

“New shampoo? I ask.
No. I think that’s spit up.”

John Kenney has written a hilarious and honest book of poems aimed at parents. In ‘Love Poems (for People with Children)’ Kenney hits on the mood killing, cuss worthy and unique teaching moments experienced by parents everywhere. This book is available October 15.
Tami Groth
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a hilarious book and also good truth-telling poetry. Using the compact structure of poetry Kenney is able to make me laugh and smile over and over. At the same time it is obvious to me, even before reading the acknowledgments, that he adores his kids and loves being a father. I read many of these aloud to my husband on a long drive after visiting family and it was exactly what we needed.
Jill
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Many of these poems had me laughing out loud and crying tears of commiserating bliss. I appreciated the wide variety of narrators. Both my husband and I were able to access and enjoy these poems, and for the first time in a while, we were laughing about the struggles of parenting instead of arguing with each other. Highly recommend it!
Emily Adams
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A few of the poem topics felt a little clichéd (high sex drive man, disinterested woman, etc.), but I laughed out loud at others that captured parenthood perfectly. I enjoyed the author's use of line breaks to create rhythm, drama, and comedic timing.
Diane
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As laugh-out-loud funny as it is at times irreverent and touching, this follow-up to Love Poems for Married People did not disappoint. I just hope there’s a Love Poems for Retired People somewhere in this talented writer’s future plans!
Jennifer Hughes
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nostrano
If you are a parent, you'll relate. This was a fun collection of poems from different points of view, covering parenting stages from infant to teens, and made me laugh out loud several times. It's a small book and a quick read.
Stacey
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I laughed....hard...throughout most of this book, and insisted in reading many aloud to my husband. As a Bostonian, I especially enjoyed “Saying you grew up in Boston is not an excuse for your behavior”.
Disha Naik
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I have never picked up a poetry book in my life. This time when I went to a bookstore - I pushed myself into the poetry section and stumbled upon this. I'm so glad this is the first book I picked up. It's light, funny and so relatable! I've already ordered love poems for married people on Amazon.
Ferren (A.Rustic.Reader)
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Guys, this book... this book!!! It will have you pee your pants laughing! I read it in one sitting, as well as sent excerpts to all of my parent friends. The sarcastic wit and humour was perfect! Incredibly relatable to not just parents, but any caregiver ! I need to pick up John Kenney's other book of poems, Love Poems for Married People, because this one was just too good!
Thank you to @putnambooks {#partner} for this wonderful collection that just made my day!
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Page 51.
Kimberly
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Even though our kids are full grown, I still laughed out loud. These are priceless!
Lovebell
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, poetry
A real funny read. Painfully funny at times. Make for a wonderful present for young parents. I am now motivated to read Love Poems for Married People.
Kelly Magro
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Not as good as Love Poems for Married People but still funny.
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Oh my. I laughed and laughed. I shared one poem with my husband and then he kept reading because he got sucked in. Some language and some “sex” (remember, this is post children). Very witty.
Carly
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Many are cute truisms. Beginning better than the end.
kimreadsandreads
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
So funny. So true. So good.
Bridget Nowicki
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5 if I'm feeling generous. A few of the poems were laugh out loud funny, but a few others were just stinkers. The final poem to his children was worth the read.
Mo Bermel
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to return it. Someone buy me a copy. This is hilarious!
Alyson
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick light read with plenty of humor. I could relate to many of the poems and think he captured many of the joys and challenges of being a parent.
Dana Vickerson
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while sitting next to my three year old, who burst out laughing every time I did, which was often.
Erin
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Received this from my father-in-law for Christmas. If you have kids the first half of this book is absolutely hilarious.
Danny
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Its a pretty entertaining read with a couple of laugh out loud moments
Neesha
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this afternoon and could hardly stop laughing. What a gem. Have to read his other books!

• You Can Only Yell at Me for One Thing at a Time: Rules for Couples
  • Book Love
  • Twenty-one Truths About Love
  • Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation
  • Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy, #2)
  • One Day: The Extraordinary Story of an Ordinary 24 Hours in America
  • Fearless Mirabelle and Meg
  • This Book Just Stole My Cat!
  • Dear Santa: Let Me Explain...
  • Home in the Woods
  • Fairies Are Real!
  • When Unicorns Poop
  • Key of Valor (Key Trilogy, #3)
  • Into the Woods: A Five Act Journey Into Story
  • The Gingerbread Girl
  • Atlanta Noir
  • 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done
  • The Cracked Spine (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #1)