Start by marking “A Castle in Wartime: One Family, Their Missing Sons, and the Fight to Defeat the Nazis” as Want to Read:

An enthralling story of one family's extraordinary courage and resistance amidst the horrors of war from the New York Times bestselling author of The Secret Rooms.

As war swept across Europe in 1940, the idyllic life of Fey von Hassell seemed a world away from the conflict. The daughter of Ulrich von Hassell, Hitler's Ambassador to Italy, her marriage to Italian aristocrat De
Published October 29th 2019 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about A Castle in Wartime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Castle in Wartime

Start your review of A Castle in Wartime: One Family, Their Missing Sons, and the Fight to Defeat the Nazis
Katedurie50
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is illuminating - in a sense the narratives of Nazi oppression and viciousness, rigged trials and executions, concentration camps and death marches are well established, and this touches on all of these. But it does something more, drawing attention to the imprisonment of family members of those who had opposed Hitler (irregularly, illogically - there was no saying who would be rounded up and who wouldn't) and the removal of their small children under new identities to orphanages This is ce
Liz Winhover
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC through Goodreads Giveaway and I handed the book straight off to my history loving father. He really enjoyed the story this book told. When he was describing it to me, I could tell that the love and the drive of those whose children had been taken really came through. My dad gave it a solid thumbs up and his recommendation!
Dawn
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again Catherine Bailey writes an amazing work of nonfiction that reads like fiction. I couldn't wait to read more every day so that I could find out what happens to this family. I do wish we had a little more info about after the war but I understand that's not the main objective in this book.
Connie Marston
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
This is Fey and her families story. It’s very informative of the atrocities people had to go through. Fey and her two kids were taken, arrested and separated. They were resisters to the Nazi regime. They sacrificed everything to resist. This historical look back in a horrific time in our world is a eye opener. It has maps in it showing the occupied and un-occupied areas among some that show the front lines and neutral areas. The things this family including Fey’s father, Hitlers ambassador to It ...more
Matthew
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
What a fantastic story about people going through a terrible ordeal. The writing is superb and the story enthralling. I loved the way the author mixed hard facts about the war and the people involved in it with the true account of one families struggle to survive.

EXCELLENT READ!
Mackenzie
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredible, gripping read.
Sara
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. There was just enough history to go with the personal journey this family was on. It's hard to believe any of them survived their ordeal. Or after!!
North Landesman
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Amazing book about one family's journey through WW2 and the search to find their kids. Rare to see WW2 from a woman's perspective. Highly reccomend this to everyone that can read.
Steena

• The Gifted School
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • The Choice: Embrace the Possible
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Disappearing Earth
  • Slow Horses (Slough House, #1)
  • The Doll Factory
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • Ordinary People
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Leonardo da Vinci?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Where Is Our Solar System?
  • Enrique's Journey: The Story of a Boy's Dangerous Odyssey to Reunite with His Mother
  • Who Was Daniel Boone?

Maker of successful television series and documentaries.