Start by marking “Shadows (Lux)” as Want to Read:
Shadows (Lux)

Shadows

(Lux 0.5)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  31,728 ratings  ·  2,747 reviews
Als je de Lux-serie van Jennifer L. Armentrout hebt verslonden – of dat van plan bent – mag je ‘Shadows’ niet missen. ‘Shadows’ is de prequel van de hele Lux-serie, die zich dus afspeelt vóórdat het verhaal officieel begint. Ook in deze 0.5 staat er al heel wat op het spel. Je maakt kennis met Dawson, de broer van Daemon, die verliefd wordt op een mensenmeisje: Bethany. Zi ...more
Published February 16th 2019 by Z&K (first published February 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows, please sign up.
Bubbles241 no, no, absolutely not! i read it after opal (just cause i didn't know of it's existence), and honestly, i think it's the best placement for it.…moreno, no, absolutely not! i read it after opal (just cause i didn't know of it's existence), and honestly, i think it's the best placement for it. either that or after onyx, i think is fine. (less)

·  31,728 ratings  ·  2,747 reviews

Start your review of Shadows (Lux)
Jennifer Armentrout
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It amazes me how quickly things go up on goodreads. Anyway, writing this was a treat
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Thank goodness I read the other books first 🖤
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Blacky *Romance Addict* by: Vishous * suit me up & tie me down *

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When she nodded, he bent down, pressing his head against her forehead. “Seriously though, I want this—I want you.” The earlier awkwardness was gone from his voice. He was all intent and purpose now. “More than I’ve ever wanted anything.”

This was an uber-sweet and heartbreaking prequel novella about Daemon's brother Dawson, and how his love for Bethany changed everything.
I won't say much because this one is short and I'd spoil it for everyone :(

How I liked it

Dawson and Bethany were great, and I wish their story was a bit longer:(
How
Rachel Reads Ravenously

I've been doing some catch up on all of my JLA novellas and stories. This is one I've always meant to read but never got around to. Shadows is the prequel novella to Obsidian, in which we get the story of Daemon's twin brother Dawson, and his love Bethany.

This was a very sweet and fast read, I love JLA's heroes, mean or nice they are all perfect to me LOL. Glad to get some background on these two characters because in a way it makes you understand more where Daemon is coming from in the first book.

If y
Aestas Book Blog
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5+ stars!

Ok, seriously, this YA series has me HOOKED !!!! Like woah hooked! I feel like I could easily devour ten of these books in a sitting! I’m totally and completely in LOVE!!

K, first off, very important but this book should be read AFTER Obsidian. I repeat, READ Obsidian FIRST !!!!! Even though its the prequel, trust me, everything will make a lot more sense if you read it after. You won’t be missing anything, I promise. Just because these events came first, doesn’t mean they should be read first because tstars!
Eunice
*Initial thoughts after reading:

Oh god, I think I might cry. This was so heartbreaking. But this gave light and more understanding about Daemon's attitude and actions towards Katy in Obsidian. If I could just jumped into the story and help them, I really would. Haha! I have so many theories coming up on my mind now and I'm also so in the mood to re-read Obsidian!

*Final Thoughts: (This went more like my review for both Shadows and my second round of Obsidian. Teehee!)

This was a wonderful and
Sophia Triad
The tragic story of Luxen Dawson Black and human Bethany Williams.
I have already read the main books in the series, so I knew how this novel ends. Still it was nice seeing Dawson and Bethany falling in love no matter their cultural differences and the negative comments and actions by their family and friends.

Dawson is a sensitive sweetheart and he absolutely knows what he wants.
Bethany is quite nice. The book made me understand her better. She is ready to fight for her love. ...more
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Usually I don't like reading novellas. I find that I have a harder time connecting with the characters with such few pages. So I was surprised that by the time I read the last page of Shadows I found myself missing Dawson and Bethany. Perhaps it's because I devoured Shadows right after completing Obsidian. I'm not sure. Or maybe it's because despite Dawson and Bethany's absence thus far in the series, I can still feel that they play a much bigger role than perviously realized. Whate
~Tina~
*drools at the cover* Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For the love of all Aliens! I loved this book!!

For those of you who know me already know that I'm a HUGE fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout. She is such a brilliant author and I simply can't get enough of her stories.

I've been looking forward to Shadows ever since I found out it was coming our way. Not only was I thrilled to see Daemon and Dee again, but I've always been mighty curious about Dawson Black who fell in love with his human girl, Bethany Williams.
This is his story. Her story. Stupid, irresis
Nicole
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, romance

I usually don't rate novellas more than 4 stars. And as much as I love the Lux series, I couldn't connect with the characters in this book. Especially Beth. No one is gonna replaces Daemon and Kat, of course. So it was good to see him again, how he was before. I had this unexpected feeling that I missed them and then I was thinking about rereading Obsidian. Which is something I rarely do. I just wish I have read this book before starting the actual series, but it was nice to remember
Emer (A Little Haze)
Oh I am so disappointed by this prequel novella to the Lux series… although I guess I should not be surprised! I was always kinda nervous about reading this and sadly it seems my fears have come to fruition.

This story focuses on Dawson and Bethany… who are a cute couple… but they are no match for Daemon and Katy!!
Where Damon and Katy are all prickly at the start of their relationship and zinging with chemistry…and with banter to die for….oh the banter…. *sighs*….
Well Dawson and Bethany… they are all doe ey
Rachael Wade
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Kimmy turned on the girl, about to pull a Linda Blair, no doubt.

Okay, so forgive me in advance if this review is completely all over the place and disjointed...but that's what Armentrout's writing does to me. She is positively my favorite YA author as of late, and along with adult romance author E.L. James, she is the only one who can elicit such a strong reaction from me when I read her work. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the woman has mad skills. Not to mention the kind of hu
Annie Brewer
Gawd.....I love this series. I love Dawson and Daemon. I love Jennifer. Need to get my thoughts in order....review to come!

OKAY, I think I have had enough time to gather my thoughts so I can write my review for this. It wont be as long as my other reviews because I have so much to say but don't want to "spoil" anything for those that have not gotten to it yet! So here goes.....

SO, yay!!! I was so glad to see Daemon and Dee again! I've especially missed Daemon like SO MUC
Karla

photo dc5fac36-bab8-4892-bc28-2ea677e70c8e_zps74b30dd4.jpg

5 Stars! DAWSON...delicious!

Okay, I get it now, I see what's so appealing about this series and Shadows showed me the way. My hope is that eventually Daemon reveals some of the same personality traits as his brother Dawson, and is just hiding them, because he's protecting his family and can't let down his guard. I read Obsidian first and struggled with Daemon and Katy's relationship, but Dawson and Bethany represent what young love is all about. They made my heart flutter. Fingers crossed that we see them again as the series moves forward.

This b
Jas
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jas by: Jasmine
Let us all just take a minute to thank the author for this lovely, sexy as hell, drool worthy COVERRRR!
Ughhh that face, those eyes, the hair..... no I'm not drooling! I'm losing my mind.
I've always had a thing for Daemon, but Dawson is hell of a romantic.

description

"3.5 ALIEN BABY DAWSOLECIOUS STARS" (Dawsolecious= Dawson+Delicious)
descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

This was the first book I read in the 3rd POV which makes it a big deal for me. I didnt hate it, but I didnt quite enjoy it. The only thing that made me finish this book was the dialogue and events of Bet
Maria
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished Shadows last night I just i was not in a an emotional condition to come online and say or write something. In fact i didn’t stop thinking about it not even the next day and the evening too.

If you are not familiar with the Obsidian (Lux, #1) the first book in the series since Shadows (Lux, #0.5) is the pre sequel book here is the chance to suck into the world that Jennifer L. Armentrout creates…

If you are familiar with the series like me well you know the deal..
Sheryl C. Nash
Duh..... Like I would or could give this book ANYTHING other than 5 stars!!!
Suzanne
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This got me interested in this series for sure! Now to finish a few other books then I can get to reading this series. I really enjoyed the story and also getting to sneak look and feel of the characters. Sounds like it will be a very entertaining series.

My quick and simple overall: prequel to what I hope I will enjoy as much as many of my Goodreads buddies!
☆ Sammy ☆彡
(view spoiler)

5 Stars!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This novella is a prequel to Obsidian, the first book in the Lux series. I don't want to give too much away, but this story is basically about forbidden love and the consequences that can occur. It is about a girl named Bethany, who moves to a new town where she meets Dawson, a handsome,spoiler)]

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Hotness
Rating PG–13 .
Thumbs Up 4.5
Overall: Really Good Read.
Characters: Love them.
Plot: Totally original.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes.
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: DAWSON!

SUMMARY

This is a novella, but it packed a punch. I really loved DAWSON. We got to see more of the other Luxens. I still didn’t feel much for Daemon. (view spoiler) I found more questions/>/>Book/>/>/>Page/>/>/>/>/>/>
Elena Salvatore
Before Damon met Katy, before they fell in love and before all hell broke loose, there was another epic love story between a Luxen and an Human.
This novella is a snippet of Dawson and Beth's love story before they got imprisoned by Daedalus.
How they met, how they fell in love, how Beth turned into a hybrid and what really happened that night they got captured.

You don't have to read this novella to read the Lux series. It isn't important for the series and everything that we need to know about Dawson and Beth's relationship, we f
Tiffani
Apr 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book by JLA I don't like. At All. I don't like Bethany, I don't like Dawson and I don't like the plot.

Bethany is just not my type of girl - girly, innocent, weak, damsel in distress-y. And honestly, how fucked up do you have to be to be okay with your BF being an alien in less than 5 minutes.

Dawson was okay, though not as great as Daemon, until the point he fell in 'love' with Bethany. Even I, a hopeless romantic, would not be so selfish as to betray my family and friends/>/>
★★Sara Lizzy★★
BR with Jo and Sammy
(This was a re-read for me.)

5 Stars!

Shadows is a prequel to Obsidian and tells the story of Dawson Black and Bethany Williams. This book also has in it Dawson's siblings, Daemon and Dee (they are triplets) as well as other supporting characters in the story. The story is told from Dawson's and Bethany's POV and occasionally Daemon's POV.

Dawson is a Luxen (an alien) and he falls in love with a human. Shadows is a novella about an instant attraction, a love that is frowned upon b/>/>5
Erin
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Well, hello Dawson, so very nice to finally meet you!! This novella was an awesome short read, adding to what is already an awesome series!!

Dawson makes up one third of the Daemon/Dawson/Dee triplets, the beautiful alien siblings that live in a small town in West Virginia. In Obsidian we didn't get to meet him because he was already gone, either taken by the DOD or killed by the Arum. In Shadows, we get to hear his story, before that awful moment that still torments his family.

Dawso
Souma BookAddict

“Finish that sentence and i will stab you in the eye with the spork Bethany's about to pull out of her bag for her apple sauce. And she'd be very upset if i got her spork all messed up. she's rather fond of the thing.
...
"A spork,” Dee said, grabbing her bag. “What is a spork?”
Bethany’s mouth dropped open. “You’ve never seen one?”
“Dee doesn’t get out much,” Dawson replied, grinning.
“Shut up.” Dee pulled out the fork and spoon in one and smiled. “I’ve never seen one
Joy (joyous reads)
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-kindle
I simply couldn't resist reading this. I spent the entire morning NOT working. I'm bad, I know! But..but...it's Dawson and Daemon...and gah!

This gives us a background story as to what happened to Dawson and Bethany. We all know that they disappered without a trace prior to Obsidian, so no suprise as to the eventual ending of Shadows. I kind of half dreaded/anticipated reading this just for the very reason. I dreaded knowing Dawson's demise. At the same time, I think it was pretty cool to see wh
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Too. Frickin. Cute.

This prequel to the Lux series answered a few questions of mine that cropped up while reading Obsidian, yet also left one big question hanging. I don't buy that anything is final, no matter how much everything would appear as such. The DOD knows too much imo. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Dawson, the "good" twin to his temperamental other half Daemon (who was the main character in Obsidian) was a pleasant enough character. He was easy e
Cate
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4 OUT OF THIS WORLD STARS

I loved this book so much, like, SO FREAKING MUCH WORDS CANNOT EVEN EXPLAIN. Miss J.L. Armentrout (aka the author), made an amazing job writing this precuel to Obsidian.
I believe it is really neccesary to read this, like I understand people say you don't have to, that's not crucial, but come on! If you read this awesome short book, you'll totally understand why Deamon hate so much humans, or why he tried so hard to keep Katy away from Dee.

“how/>“how
Finding Welsh Kings
“how could he explain what happened? 'hey, honey, i'm an alien and apparently i just doused you with some radioactive loving! wanna catch a movie?' Yeah, not cool.”

OH MY GOSH!! *squeals* This book was so dang adorable! My only complaint is that it was way too short. I don’t usually read novellas, partly for the fact that they don’t usually satisfy all my dying unanswered questions…but this one? Hell yeah!

Shadows is a mesmerizing, rollercoaster of a book that sheds light o
Duchess Nicole
This is one of the BEST prequels I've read. Not only is it a story all on its own, but the stupid cliffhanger ending left me screaming inside my own head. Surely, SURELY this can be explained!!! Surely, SURELY that did not just happen! What's sad is that I read Obsidian first, then realized that there was a prequel. So naturally I assumed that some of the unanswered questions I had regarding Bethany and Dawson would be answered. What this novella did was make me fall in love with them, and then lea ...more
The Twin Obsessio...: Daemon or Dawson??? 1001 255 Jul 08, 2019 05:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Incorrect - Shadows, by Jennifer L. Armentrout 3 189 May 02, 2017 05:58PM
#JLAJuly: Shadows (#0.5) 1 3 Jul 02, 2016 10:51AM
The Twin Obsessio...: Bethany or Katy? 26 168 Jun 06, 2016 10:14PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shadows by Jennifer L Armentrout --> starting 18th May 2015 11 13 May 17, 2015 03:32AM
Brenton Thwaites as Daemon/Dawson Black!! 22 174 Oct 30, 2014 09:47PM
Jennifer L Arment...: Prequel - Shadows 269 151 Sep 12, 2013 06:18PM

• Genadeloos (California Campus, #2)
  • The Proposal (Wait for You, #2.5)
  • Trust in Me (Wait for You, #1.5)
  • Be with Me (Wait for You, #2)
  • Wait for You (Wait for You, #1)
  • Stay with Me (Wait for You, #3)
  • Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1)
  • Il mio angelo segreto (Innamorata di un angelo #2)
  • Room service
  • È per sempre (Wait for You, #2.6)
  • Leif (Existence Trilogy, #2.5)
  • De mooiste dag van je leven
  • Ik mis je
  • Ceaseless (Existence Trilogy, #3)
  • Juego de ángeles (Almas oscuras, #3)
  • Unchained (Nephilim Rising, #1)
  • Le marchand de sable, tome 2 (Le marchand de sable #2)
  • Fire in You (Wait for You, #6)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and # 1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Charles Town, West Vir

Lux (5 books)
  • Obsidian (Lux, #1)
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • Origin (Lux, #4)
  • Opposition (Lux, #5)
“What?" he demanded.
"Did you just...clean a dish?" Dee backed away slowly, blinking. She glanced at Daemon. "The world is going to end. And I’m still a vir—"

"No!" both the brothers yelled in unison.

Daemon looked like he was actually going to vomit. "Jesus, don’t ever finish that statement. Actually, don’t ever change that. Thank you."

Her mouth dropped open."You expect me to never have—"

"This isn’t a conversation I want to start my morning with." Dawson grabbed his book bag off the kitchen table. "I’m so leaving for school before this gets more detailed."

"And why aren’t you dressed yet?" Dee demanded, her full attention concentrated on Daemon. "You’re going to be late."

"I’m always late."
"Punctuality makes perfect.”
259 likes
“Dee’s hand fluttered around her as she spoke. “I was outside, and it looked as if a light show was going on in your bedroom. Daemon said you were probably mas—”
And Dee also knew no boundaries.
“Ah, no, please don’t finish that sentence.” He lowered his hands, eyes narrowing at his sister. “Don’t ever finish that sentence.”
175 likes