Start by marking “Usu mind” as Want to Read:
Usu mind

Usu mind

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  9,727 ratings  ·  2,103 reviews
Suurbritanniast pärit lavakunstiõpilane Claire elab New Yorgis tööloata ja haarab kinni ainsast käeulatuses olevast teenimisvõimalusest, etendades hotellide baarides kergemeelseid näitsikuid, et aidata ühel lahutusadvokaatide firmal truudusetuid abielumehi vahele võtta.

Kui üks tema sihtmärk muutub mõrvajuurdluse objektiks, palub politsei Claire’ilt, et too kasutaks oma näi
Published March 2019 by Varrak (first published July 24th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Usu mind, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tracey
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  9,727 ratings  ·  2,103 reviews

Berit☀️✨
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
4.5 Mind Blowing Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5
WOW! What a crazy ride this book was! This book sucked me in from the very first page... and after it tossed me around and turned me on my head it spit me back out and left me spinning.... Claire I might need to crown you the most unreliable narrator of them all! Bravo! J P Delaney for writing such a unique and twisted thriller!

Claire is a struggling British actress living in New York without a green card... so what’s a girl to do? Claire being resourceful and an act
Deanna
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, arcs
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I enjoyed this author’s previous novel “The Girl Before” and was really looking forward to reading this one too. “Believe Me” was previously published in 2001 under the title “The Decoy”. The author states that:

“although built around the same idea as the earlier one, and containing some of the same scenes, is completely different in plot, characterization, and structure.”

Claire Wright a 25-year-old British woman with dream
Debra
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Believe me when I say, this was not my cup of tea.

Claire is a struggling actor looking for work. Her one main obstacle is that she British living in the United States without a green card. This makes getting a job quite difficult and one does need money to survive.

She finds a job which will pay her cash. She works as a decoy, hired to entrap cheating spouses on tape. There are rules that need to be followed, the spouse withe the wandering eye needs to proposition her, and she needs to get it al
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
Shelves: library
4.25 STARS

Does anyone else feel completely refreshed and renewed when they pick up a book and finish it in 24 hours or less? Good, I'm glad to know it's not just me. I had to wait forEEEEEEEVVVVER for this one to come in at the library because I'm starting to review fewer books as arcs to accommodate our busier schedule as a family, and this was one I really wanted to take on initially, but just couldn't fit into the schedule. Can we all give a round of applause for the wonderful libraries acros
Paromjit
J P Delaney follows up the bestselling The Girl Before with this dark, and twisted psychological thriller set in New York with the starring role played by British actress, Claire Wright. Claire is attending a prestigious acting course that she came to NYC for. She is perennially short of money, behind in her rent money to Jess, whom she shares a Manhattan apartment with. Claire is forbidden to take up legitimate work as she lacks the green card to do so. She ends up working off the books, cash o ...more
Christina - Traveling Sister
Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Publishing for a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions presented are my own.

DELANEY (AUTHOR)
Writes Believe Me.

EXT.
SITTING ON A BEACH READING INSTEAD OF HANGING OUT WITH HER FRIENDS.

ME
4.5 knock it out of the freaking park stars!!!

Let me start this off by saying: NOTHIN' BUT NET Delaney, this redefined an unputdownable SLAM-FREAKING-DUNK of a book. This grabs the readers attention right out of the gate and doesn't let you go until l
Crumb
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sick, Twisted, and Utterly Captivating.

Claire is an accomplished actress, one of the best in her class. She identifies as an "actress." That is who she is. But, what happens when the line between fantasy and reality blur? What happens when Claire gets too deep in her role? And what happens when Claire loses sight of herself.. When she can no longer tell the difference between fact and fiction?

This was a beast of a thriller. It was everything I had hoped and more. I am always a little hesitant to
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
A dark and twisted thriller that lured me into the story and captured my thoughts until the very last page! There is no one in the psychological thriller genre who can write such captivating, loathsome, alluring characters as well as J. P. Delaney. Earlier this year I was enthralled by his last book, The Girl Before. This one is somehow even better. I could not separate myself from this book. Everything about it was so carefully crafted, from the story to the characters to the writing techniques ...more
Melisa
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I don’t know about you, but my heart nearly burst out of my chest on this one! Holy smokes, the twists and the turns and the turns and more twists. I’m spinning!

Such a unique structure, I love how this one was set up - scenes structured as a script as it is playing out in the protagonist’s mind. As a former acting student of a studio in New York City, this one was super relatable. I loved hearing all about the acting exercises and techniques that I once studied.

And may I please point you
Kaceey
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
Well if you are looking for a thriller than will shock you at every turn...then look no further!
This book was so full of surprises and twists that I was in danger of getting whiplash,

Claire is a young actress from England now living in New York City looking for her big break! She attends acting school yet is always in need of money to continue school...and of course to just survive in the big city.

Her latest gig is to to work for a law firm’s investigator. Only one assignment may be more than
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
5 STARS

What. Did. I. Just. Read. My mind is totally blown right now. I devoured this book in a matter of hours and I just could not get enough of it! This was my first J.P. Delaney (yes i know, I need to read the Girl Before) but wow this did not let me down!

The opening scene of this book is a big BOOM. Claire is an aspiring actor, an also an immigrant from London without a Green card, that is just trying to make rent. In order to make rent she may have to do some questionable things.

And Where
j e w e l s
FOUR STARS
IMG_4290

I felt the author's previous book, The Girl Before was written well; but, for an architectural mystery based on minimalism, it was a big ole mess --structurally speaking, of course.😊

I really like BELIEVE ME. I was absolutely crazy about the first 2/3 of this addictive story. The plot had me second guessing my way through. Sadly, the last 1/3 just went so overboard it got ridiculous. I have a hard time understanding why the author (actual name: Tony Strong) wants to throw in everything
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 dark, sultry stars to Believe Me! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Claire is British and living in the United States as a struggling actor. Not only does she need money, she is desperate for a green card, too.

Her ship comes in when she is hired as a decoy for a law firm of divorce lawyers. Her aim, to catch husbands cheating on tape...with her.

All seems to go as planned until the wife of one of the target’s is murdered. Claire is asked by the police to ensnare the husband in a confession for the murder. Is she prepa
Carrie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Believe Me by J.P. Delaney is a psychological thriller that brought out that side of me that argues with myself. My reaction while reading this one…. What?? Yes… well, no… yes… no way! Yeah, you get my point.

The book begins with Claire doing what she does to earn money, propositioning a man in a bar. But it’s not what one would think in any way, Claire works for a law firm going undercover to catch cheating spouses since acting jobs are hard to come by for someone without a green card.

Normally t
Carol (Bookaria)
This was a great thriller! Claire is a British actor living in NYC. To make ends meet she works for a law firm luring unsuspecting husbands into making her a sexual proposition, once she gets them on tape she walks away and gets the evidence into the attorneys or wives' hands.

All is well until one day one of the wives shows up dead and Claire is enlisted by the authorities to get a confession out of the suspected husband. This novel was a very quick read, fast paced, and intriguing.

The story t
Holly  B
My first by this author, I own The Girl Before. but haven't read it yet.  The beginning of this novel had me hooked and flipping pages to find out how it would play out after a quite intense beginning.

Claire is a British actress who is looking for work in America, but can't get hired without a green card.  She is resourceful though, and uses her acting skills to lure unfaithful husbands into a sort of divorce trap (so the wives can be certain whether their husbands are cheaters).  The wives are
Amanda
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Wow I didn’t like this book I loved it!!! After reading the girl before I was very excited at reading this book and I wasn’t disappointed, the beginning Draws you in and before I knew it I had read half off the book!!
The relationship of Claire and Patrick gave me goose bumps it’s a thrilling ride that fascinated and scared me at the same time and as always I didn’t see the twist coming.
A must read book but be prepared to clear you’re diary as this book is addictive.
Brenda - Traveling Sister
One group / Two Coulees

Believe me, I wasn’t believing anything here. (I took this idea from Debra) We are Traveling Sisters we can do that. lol

I was lost in a coulee reading Believe Me with five of my Traveling Sisters and we ended up in two very different coulees with the way we felt about this one. Four of my TS really enjoyed this one and one other TS and I just couldn’t suspend disbelief enough to enjoy this one.

There is some depth here to make this an interesting and intriguing read and
Susanne  Strong
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
3.5 Stars* (rounded up)

A Wicked, Wild and Wacky Novel.

What is real and what is not? That is the question. The mind is a tricky tricky thing and if you trust it, you are being very silly.

Claire is an Actress and a Brit in the U.S. without a Green Card. She can’t get a decent job and the kind she can get is heavily frowned upon: she becomes a decoy, a woman who seduces men, just to catch them cheating on their wives. Then something crazy happens - one of the wives who hires her is murdered and t
Linda
Believe me......

This is a walk on the Wild Side. It's an unfocused trip banging into walls down a dark, dark corridor. No flashlight, and certainly, no light at the end of this tunnel. Just pure adrenaline pumping.

It's all about risks. Claire knows that up front and personal. She finds herself as an out of work Brit actor in America with no green card and debt piling up. Her roommate is about to kick her out because of months of non-payment on the rent.

It's all about desperation. Claire has few
Jenny
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a while since a book has made me second guess myself as much as JP Delaney’s book, “Believe Me.”
Believe Me is that twisty thriller that will have you constantly changing your mind about “who did it.” Nothing is as it seems in this cat and mouse murder mystery.
This is one of the few books that you will read in spite of the main characters unlikeability, just to see what happens.
Main character, Claire, is a struggling British actress, hoping for that big role on stage and her green card
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
This is the second book that I have read by this author. Here’s what I thought about this “thriller”.

There is definitely a sociopath or two in this book so it meets that criteria for a thriller, but there it stopped for me. Claire Wright is a 25 year old Brit living in New York who wants nothing more than to be a star of the stage. She has taken acting classes for a long time and now is in New York to study at the Actors Studio, after all Marilyn Monroe studied there. She will do anything, anyth
Liz
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Claire has a very unique job. She works for a divorce lawyer, helping him discover if husbands are actually open to cheating on their wives.

The book is told from a first person POV as if Claire was speaking directly to the reader. Other parts are written as if they are a screenplay. “Is it just me who does this -who feels they’re constantly watching themselves in the movie of their own life?” It took awhile to get adjusted to, but it does make for a fast read.

Claire has an interesting ethical
Malia
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I was very underwhelmed by J.P. Delaney's previous novel, The Girl Before, but maybe it helped me manage my expectations. Believe Me is, in tone and style, not dissimilar to his prior book, but I am found it to be a little more clever and more twisty. Claire is an enigmatic character, and I never knew whether anything she said could be trusted, but I often like books with unreliable narrators, so I didn't mind this much. It did feel a little stagey, but given the fact that Claire was an
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
This book was literally 334 pages of dumpster fire .

I was scammed . So hard.

Thriller?
Almost nonexistent
Unrequited love and romance?
..........

The payoff sucked. And I am exhausted.

Ok. J.P. Delaney will be another author who isn't for me. I didn't like his other book, The Girl Before, either, and this one is no exception. Throughout the book, we follow this main character who I immensely disliked; she was so dramatic and over the top. Even though that may have been intended and purposeful, it
Sarah Joint
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This would be an amazing book for a book club. (Um, just make sure everyone is comfortable with some dirty parts.) I read it with a lovely group, and we had so much fun discussing theories and trying to figure out the characters. This is how twisted this book is: I figured things out relatively early, then the story changed so much that I convinced myself I was actually wrong. It was like every new chapter threw me for a loop. Some (okay, a lot) of suspension of disbelief is necessary here, but ...more
Nazanin
3.5 Stars

The story started off really good but it wasn't a steady read for me! At some point, it got really slow without anything to happen! But it’s still compelling enough to make you read page after page! I didn’t like the characters especially the main character, Claire! The story (killing) was based on Baudelaire’s poems (French Poet) and I’m not a poetry person! It’s hard for me to understand their meaning or the story behind them (but don’t worry in this one the author elaborate on them a
Felicia
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes when you wear a mask too long, you find it sticks to the skin."

That quote sums up this story so perfectly. What a whiplashing ride! I read this book in one sitting...not in one day but literally in one sitting. I kept telling myself "just one more chapter" until I finally just gave in knowing my mind wouldn't be able to move on until I knew the truth. Figuring out the truth is a slippery slope in this story.

Told in first person through the eyes of Claire, a struggling British actress
Marialyce
3 stars for holding my attention on a long car journey from New York

This was quite a foray into a very twisty psychological thriller mode. We meet the main protagonist, Claire, who is a British actress wannabe struggling to remain in the US and attain a green card. Previously there had been a "misunderstanding" in her native country and she came to the US in search of her big break. Claire flounders, is in need on money, and accepts a position in a law firm trying to ensnare wayward husbands so
JanB
What a wild ride that was! So many twists and turns I had whiplash. This was a Traveling Sisters read and it made for a fun discussion with a lot of speculation as we read.

Claire is an aspiring actress hired by the police to work as a civilian undercover in a sting to catch a suspected serial killer. Or is she? Is she an actress playing a part in her own movie where only she writes the script? Is she unhinged or is this all really happening? Is she the ultimate unreliable narrator or is she just

• The Saints Go Dying
  • Complication
  • Dead Secret
  • Jo Nesbø Collection: The Leopard, the Redeemer, the Snowman, the Devils Star
  • Se eu fechar os olhos agora
  • Fiona
  • Don't You Dare
  • Brother Jacob
  • The Cutaway
  • The Pool House
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • A Dubious Mission (Colton Banyon Mysteries, #1)
  • The Three Beths
  • Everything That Follows
  • The Last Time I Saw You
  • The Exes' Revenge
  • Thieves Till We Die (Thieves Like Us, #2)
  • The House
J. P. Delaney is the pseudonym of a writer who has previously published best-selling fiction under another name.

“Because if a woman can't trust the man who said he'd love her forever, who in this world can you trust?” 3 likes
“Sometimes, when you wear a mask too long, you find it sticks to the skin.” 2 likes