Start by marking “Shelter from the Storm” as Want to Read:
Shelter from the Storm

Shelter from the Storm (Tubby Dubonnet #4)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,419 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
In "Shelter From The Storm," Dunbar once again brings us to the crazy and colorful city of New Orleans. This time it's Mardi Gras -- and a violent storm drenches the city in chaos. As the water level rises, a dangerous gang of marooned bank robbers become desperate to escape -- and it's up to Tubby to thwart their murderous plans...
Published December 29th 1997 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Shelter from the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelter from the Storm

Una Tiers
This book had a good pace and was a nice light read until I hit offensive language. While this language may not offend others, I'm writing the review. It was the same point where the plot seemed to falter, trip and fall apart. The characters never really developed but I was too busy being amused by the story to notice.
Mike French
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and entertaining book. I liked this one better than The other 2 I have read in the series.
T.L.
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Winner From Dunbar

Another great entry in the Tubby Dubbonet series.
Full of NOLA charm, tasty food and the added setting of
Marie Gras. An interesting theft that ends up sucking Counselor Dubbonet into the action.

Thad Allen
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this one. I am enjoying the books about Tubby Dubonnet. His New Orleans is an interesting place to visit. This one is about a series of crimes occurring during a very wet Mardi Gras. The ending is one that should have a "To be continued" message. It looks like the next book in the series does pick up where this one left off. Looks like I will be reading some more of Mr. Dunbar's books.
Jacqueline
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would not call this "hard boiled"

The writing. Is smooth and clear, the characters deep and vivid, and the body count reminiscent of the TV Series Justified.

The setting is New Orleans at Marci Gras with torrential rain creating floods but nobody listens to a radio weather report.

The plot is about a bank robbery complicated by the flooding. The viewpoint skips around among groups of characters who eventually cross paths.

As the 7th in a series this is surprisingly easy to read and to relate to
Mary L.
This book was fast paced and took you from one character to another until they finally all came together for a not quite ending. The reason I rated it so low was the ending wasn't really an ending. You are still left wondering if the bad guy ever gets caught, one of the good guys lives, and does the main character (Tubby) actually get a relationship. The hero does ride off into the sunset on his Harley.
Kary
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely would read more books in this series. I love reading about places I've been and New Orleans is one of those places. I want to know what happened next in the series.
glitrbug
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. The series is about Tubby Dubonnet, a lawyer in New Orleans. His clients are as varied a bunch of characters as you could hope to meet. He takes his responsibilities to them seriously and gets himself into all kinds of amazing, crazy trouble doing it. He has an ex-wife that can't be helped and daughters he loves. He's a faithful friend and he is open hearted.
The books aren't really mysteries, other than seeing if Tubby can figure out how to help his clients and friends. Very
Cheryl
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery is set in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

When a murderous trio tries to rob a bank, a hard rain pounds the French Quarter and the bank they've just robbed. Coming out with their stolen goods, they find the streets flooded. They commandeer a rowboat. When an unsuspecting woman tries to hitch a ride, they shoot her pointblank and finally end up in a house where a couple of tourists are staying.

One of the tourists realizes what's going on; the other cooks their meals and thinks it's all
Bert
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are 30+ books that share this title, but I'll bet this one is the most unique. First of all, we have an idealistic lawyer who stumbles into his heroic 15 minutes of fame. He runs head-first into an entangled web of circumstances involving a bank heist in New Orleans during Mardi Gras while an enormous storm goes full circle. The crime is an inside job, with gold and jewelry being taken for pretextual reasons, and the real loot being a legal document worth millions to a few powerful people. ...more
Mary
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usually a Tubby Dubonnet mystery is amusing, and includes good eating, and a puzzle to be solved by attorney Tubby Dubonnet. This time Tubby goes up against a particularly cold blooded killer. The story resolves itself, somewhat, and not entirely honestly, as several of the characters end up with ill gotten gains. However, one might argue that all three deserve a little payback for the way they were treated by bad men. However, Tubby feels that an evil hand lies on the city he loves, and he reso ...more
Linda
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I read it through last night when it 'come up a storm' where I live. The book became very real to me. The author's mechanics were very good. The storyline was about romances, bank robbery, finding shelter in a storm, murder, falling in and out of love, and a set up for a sequel.

Bank robbers were stymied by the terrible flooding that occurred while they were robbing a bank. Unfortunately, the wheel man's get away car was gone when the thieves exited the bank. They 'borrowed' a
James Frederick
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like crime/mystery stories
This was a fun little read. A very intriguing mystery/crime story. It was realistic, gritty and a bit dark. But it was also amusing in parts, and entertaining, as a whole. There were a lot of characters to weave together and the writer did so, skillfully. The ending was kind of open-ended, which was unsatisfying, in a way. On the other hand, that is what sequels are for. I would certainly consider picking this up on a stormy weekend, when the best thing you can do is to read a good book.

James
Steve
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third of the Tubby Dubonnet mysteries I have read. I am reading these out of order and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I saw these described as foodie noire mysteries, but I don't entirely understand why they would be described that way. Certainly the meals Tubby consumes are described in more detail than in some mysteries and feature mouth-watering New Orleans cusine, but this is not like Julie Childs mets Sam Spade. These are interesting, light reads with humor thrown in for good measure ...more
Jan Wilkes
Fun book!

After having read the first two Tubby Dubonnet mysteries, I was looking forward to reading the third, of course! Tubby's laid back lifestyle is very appealing, and the reader really gets an idea of what life in New Orleans would be like. A cherished person in my family was a little bit Cajun, and I love the accent. The book is a Fat Tuesday romp through a flooded NOLA with a bunch of zany characters, and at least one serious criminal on the loose. There is some unfinished business in th
Terri Weitze
I like the Tubby Dubonnet series quite a bit. This one is better than some and not as good as others. The atmosphere of New Orleans is captured a bit better (at least to me) than some of the other books in the series, but the story is less satisfying - as it seems to just be a prequel to a greater story. Everything is left hanging, which is not usual for this series. It was an interesting story and a lot happens - but the book ended before the story was anywhere near resolved. Of course, this ma ...more
Robin
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has too much violence to be a light read for me. There is some humor. Almost everybody is a little bit of a thief, a cheat or a crook. It was also written with an eye toward producing a sequel that has to be read to find out what happens. In short, it was mildly entertaining, and I'm glad I got it for free from Amazon through a BookBub lead. I'll read the next book in the series only if it becomes available at no cost.
Michael
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down

I have already purchased the next book in the series. So why did I give this book a four star rating? Because I was disappointed with the "hanging ending". It reminded me of the serials they used to show before the main movie in olden times. This "arm twisting" wasn't necessary. I would have wanted to find out what happened to LaRue anyhow. The author could have given this book a more definite ending.
Linda Look
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mardis Gras in New Orleans was hampered by torrential rains and flooding. A bank heist had been planned and was carried out but the get away was delayed. Tubby Dubonnet was a local lawyer & liked parades but this year was different. His client was gunned down by three men floating down the street in a boat. Tubby investigates the why & how of the bank robbery--which led to identifying government corruption & bribery. Humor, romance, intrigue. Fast read.
Joy
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific Tubby. I don't understand the reviews saying there is no ending. There is as much of one as there would be with any book series. There's enough resolve that should you not wish to continue reading you can and not miss much. But for those who want to keep going, we get to unfold more of the mystery.
I actually am a huge Dubonnet fan, so having a bit of a cliffhanger just keeps me coming back.
Pamsholley
Tubby Dubonnet is a divorced lawyer who lives in the city he loves--New Orleans. A fierce rain storm cancels Mardi Gras but not before Tubby's client is shot and killed by Rue, one of three men who've robbed the safety deposit boxes as a local bank. Tubby and a "friend" from Chicago are kidnapped by these same robbers and a lively chase ensues.

Fun to read, though whoever is behind the robbery is never revealed...perhaps in a sequel??
Sandra Knapp
Different and disappointing

This was definitely a different kind of mystery, and it sure did hold my interest, but I don't like reading an entire story only to be left dangling at the end of it, wondering what is to happen next. I guess this is another case of if you want to know how it ends, you have to buy the next book. I consider that a dirty trick. And that is why I gave it but 3 stars. I don't like being led by the nose.
Jay Williams
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tubby is in rare form as a monstrous storm floods New Orleans. Everything I have learned to like in .a Tubby Dubonnet story is there, except for an ending. Hopefully this book is setting the stage for a future episode when Tubby will reunite with the woman who got away. As usual, all the characters are over-the-top, and fun to watch in action. The gastronomic elements are milder than those usually found in a Dubonnet story, but did add some spice to the tale.
Angela Winters
This was like starting a book in the middle of a series, instead of a stand alone book. I didn't get a full understanding of the characters, and it was just a basic, predictable story. Many books are written around Mardi Gras, and I don't feel like this one grasped the essence of Mardi Gras. The characters weren't well rounded and the story was a little out there. Hopefully, his other books are much better.
Dale Van
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mari Gras, New Orleans ,murder, bank robbers, great characters.

A very fast paced thriller that leaves you needing to get the next book in the series as soon as possible. Tubby is a different type of lawyer, and seems to handle every type of case. His friends are diverse and completely loyal. I hope to read many more of Tubby's adventures
Bill Chitwood
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good story

I thought it a really good book. the plot was straight to the point, not a lot of hem-hawing around. I was a little put out that Rue was left for another story. I don't mind books in a series, but I want them as stand alone stories instead of dragging it out. if you like mysteries and action the Tubby Dubonnet series is a good place to start.
Mark
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the second of Tony Dunbar's Tubby Dubonnet novels I read. It was engaging enough to keep me going. But it left me suspecting I might not get it. Other readers have found this series funny, moving, effective, and affecting. I was so troubled by my not getting it that I tracked down the next novel in the series, Crime Czar. I may have more work to do.
Elisabeth Miller
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny but a bit maudlin

A very enjoyable read with some great characters. At times, with the prevalence of the bad guy, his actions, and lack of humanity, the story seemed to stick in places. To me, the ending seemed to be on a real down note and the actions of Tubby were maudlin at times.
Liz Wood
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What happened?

I was involved with the well-developed characters, entranced by the intricacies of the plot. But I found no ending, nor even a transition to an ending. A book has 3 parts: beginning, middle, and ending. Even a short story has an ending. A great deal of the pleasure of closing the cover and savoring the story.
Theodore Pack
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each book gets better!

Every once in a while an author will captivate me with truely inventive story lines and characters. The Tubby Dubonnet series meets all those criteria. Reading this series makes me feel like I've been to the Big Easy and I can almost hear the music I love from the area .
  • Louisiana Bigshot (Talba Wallis, #2)
  • Bite Me
  • Natalie's Revenge (Frank Renzi, #3)
  • The Original Alibi (Matt Kile Mystery, #2)
  • Gone Crazy (Lil and Boris #2)
  • Murder on Moloka'i (Surfing Detective Mystery #1)
  • A Dead Red Alibi (A Dead Red, #4)
  • Cruelest Month
  • Powder Burn  (Burn with Sam Blackett, #1)
Tony Dunbar started writing at quite a young age. When he was 12, growing up in Atlanta, he told people that he was going to be a writer, but it took him until the age of 19 to publish his first book, Our Land Too, based on his civil rights experiences in the Mississippi delta. For entertainment, Tony turned not to television but to reading mysteries such as dozens of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe storie ...more
More about Tony Dunbar...

Tubby Dubonnet (9 books)
  • Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet, #1)
  • City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet, #2)
  • Trick Question (Tubby Dubonnet, #3)
  • Crime Czar (Tubby Dubonnet, #5)
  • Lucky Man (Tubby Dubonnet, #6)
  • Tubby Meets Katrina (Tubby Dubonnet, #7)
  • Night Watchman (Tubby Dubonnet, #8)
  • Fat Man Blues: A Hard-Boiled and Humorous Mystery (The Tubby Dubonnet Series Book 9)

“lagniappe.” 0 likes
“chickened out. They had had a big argument. Marguerite’s lips turned down in a pout when she thought” 0 likes