Start by marking “Snow-Walker” as Want to Read:
Snow-Walker

Snow-Walker

(The Snow-Walker #1-3)

This trilogy brings together in one volume the three spell-binding titles in the Snow-walker sequence; The Snow-walker's Son, The Empty Hand, and The Soul Thieves.

From the swirling mists and icy depths beyond the edge of the world came the snow-walker Gudrun, to rule the Jarl's people with fear and sorcery. But a small band of outlaws are prepared to risk their lives to de
Published September 20th 2005 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 3rd 2003)

Morgan F
This book was very dry. It never caught my attention, and I finished it just to finish it. The characters were completely 2-dimensional, and acted more like pawns than actual people. The writing wasn't very descriptive, and I often didn't know what was happening. The writing itself lacked humor and actual creativity. The story was okay, but it was rushed through. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are really into fantasy.
I don't remember a single thing about this collection except that there w
Bonnie
Jul 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a trilogy in one book. It is completely unclear to me whether they were published separately and then collected together in one volume or if they always came like this. It never really matters, but I'm curious.

Book 1 is The Snow-Walker's Son where Jessa and her cousin (Thorkil) are exiled by the evil Snow-Walker Queen (think every Ice Queen in fantasy ever) because their fathers were rebels. They are sent to the castle in the far north where the Queen's rumored-to-be-monstrous son lives.
Michelle
Mar 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
I have so much to say I don't even know where to start.

I enjoy reading children's literature. I can 'read down' to the level as necessary. But I find so many glaring errors and omissions in this series of books that I find myself frustrated about every five pages. Why did I keep reading, you ask? Because once a book is in my hands, for some reason I find it next to impossible to put down! But more importantly, my son recommended it -- and it's always good to see what your children are reading.

Th
Melissa
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fisher is a good story teller. There is not a whole lot of action in her books, but there is a lot of description of the weather and area. Her books have one major flaw that made the whole book difficult to read. She doesn't describe many of her characters. The main character Jessa who I really grew to admire is never described. I know she had long hair in the last book and she wore dresses that dragged and got muddy. But what the heck does this girl look like?! I have no idea. maybe she was ugl ...more
Bellamy
A really fun read! It’s a Nordic-inspired fantasy series with main characters Jessa and Kari. Jessa is a really delightfully headstrong teenage girl with a personality that I personally enjoyed, and Kari is a kid with identical features and powers to his snow witch mother (who is taking over the land’s Jarlshold) that also got locked in a dungeon cell for the first six years of his life by his mom.

The first book is a little bit too plot-motivated and less character-motivated for my tastes, but I
Brie Reynolds
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Simply Norse in the best way. I used to read this book all the time when I was in high school and I’m so glad I found it again 😍 gotta say, I’m still disappointed that there isn’t more material, that has always been my only complaint 😪
Pop Bop
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
"But the mother and child reunion", Beowulf Style

Between the recent surge of interest in Norse myths and legends and the popularity of movies like Disney's "Frozen" this is a fine time to turn our attention back to Fisher's underappreciated "Snow-Walker". It has everything you could want - a plucky and engaging young outlaw heroine cheated out of her birthright, and enough snow and ice to frost-bite your fingertips while you hold the book. Add an evil, magic wielding, usurper, Ice Queen Snow-wal
Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall
In the midst of a deluge of knock-off YAs, a good fantasy novel is hard to find. Derived from Norse legend, it still reminded me more of Skyrim and BBC's "Merlin" than anything.

Jarlsholm was a good setting, its environs sparsely though strikingly developed. As for the rest of the world, its world-building was little but not without charm, imagination, and interest. Ironwood was pure fantasy!

There were several unexplained, and admittedly underdeveloped plots in the story (why do Jessa and Thorki
Jessica
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Crymsyn Hart
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It was okay. Fast read. Interesting plot ideas, just kinda bland.
Rashel
Jun 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Sorry, I gave up. The book was overdue and I was moving too slowly. Maybe another time...

Not overly impressed (I guess my expectations were very high, since I enjoyed Incarceron, by the same author, so much) yet. But I'll give it a fair chance, maybe it will get better? A lot of tongue-twisting names that are a bit distracting (but maybe it's just me. I always suspect that authors dig into some shady website containing weird regional names, which, btw they DO!). Frozen world where the action tak
Maria Kramer
I have liked Catherine Fisher's other works quite a bit, but this one just seemed half-formed. Like the characters, settings and plots are sketches waiting to be filled out. I suppose they were written early in her career, so it makes sense that she's really come into her own with time. If I started out by reading this, I don't know if I would have sought out her later books.

Similar Titles:
The Ruins of Gorlan
Froi of the Exiles
Loretta Marchize
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sooo this was a really good book and it came this {} close to having 5 stars. But it was more like 4.5 because of just a couple things.
1 character development
Other than Kari I felt like there was really none? Jessa was pretty much the same as she was when she first started, as were all the other spoiler characters.
2 wrapping things up
So all-in-all I felt like the books ended really well, except for a few things. That stranger who met them, in the end, taking the gem and just disappearing was rea
Jo Stevens
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This set of books is an adventure for sure but it lacked emotion. I got through the books on the adventure alone but it still felt lacking. Brochael raises Kari from the age of 5 and yet he never fully trusts him. There are no mention of good memories in Kari' s life. Then you have Jessa who is supposed to be a young girl but she has no interest whatsoever in boys. She is a land holder that but instead of responsibilities she can take off on a whim. None of them in any of books one through three ...more
Stephen
Since Gudrun came from the frozen mists beyond the edge of the world, the Jarl's people have obeyed her in hatred andterror. But the enchantress has one weakness: a son, Kari, banished to a forbidding fortress in the north, never seen by the Jarl's people. In secret they wonder: Are the rumors true? Was he born a monster? Now Jessa and her cousin Thorkil have been exiled to the north, and if they survive the journey, they will find the truth: Is Kari a beast? Or the means to stop the sorceress? ...more
Anid Harker
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read these first in spanish as a teen and now, rereading them, they uh, they did not hold up.
I suspect these were written for a younger audience than what the stories asked for. They wanted to be longer books for sure, and all the characters were asking for further development.
Still enjoyed it but I mean it was better in my memory. I was particularly amused at all the very obvious (now) norse myth references that completely flew over my head when I first read it.
Elizabeth
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was not the author's best effort in my view. I didn't connect with the characters much although I liked them. The traveling distances seemed unusually short which surprised but didn't dismay me. It seems common in adventure books that the heroes travel for weeks not days. The magic was not well defined and the description of the far north was all about ice and snow till suddenly it was about fire and heat.
Linda
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Some odd mystical parts, fairly good plot, but a few thematic holes that made it somewhat difficult to follow. I was glad to see a survival story set in a kingdom struggling to regain a sense of its identity; I got the sense that the author had come to terms with snow but maybe needed some work on the evil-stepmother theme.
Cassandra
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book didn't seem as interesting as books two and three. The first book was a good introduction to our characters and world, and the following books built on it nicely. The third book felt like a game of Dungeons & Dragons, and I mean that in a positive way.
elise
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book I really loved as a kid. I've lost track of how many times I reread it. However, I doubt it will hold up to my current standards and preferences. Perhaps I can reread it again one day to say for sure.
Bethany  Pearson
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Norse-inspired tale that follows an exiled son whose existence is the only thing his manipulative mother fears. This story involves mirrors, magic, snow, and snakes, and is largely influenced by Nordic language and mythology.
One of my favorites.
Denise Ahlquist
A fun adventure tale among the legends of the far North.

Jessa and her friends brave dark magic and the dangers of the far North in this mix of myth/ magic/ and adventure.
Polly
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well done, eerie and evocative.
Leanna
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Read book 3.
Em Woods
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs a little Catherine Fisher in their reading agenda; the Snow-walker trilogy is a sophisticated yet fantastical adventure I cannot wait to go on again.
SARIT
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful magical haunting, icy fantasy which derived from Norse legend from the workshop of Catherine Fisher (Catherine Fisher is the author of the Incarceron Trilogy which I love too). as an author, Catherine Fisher, should be far, far better known because she has a rare gift of being able to tell gripping stories in beautiful, shapely prose

The story has all the right elements of a good epic - good rebel-turned-King, mysterious monsters, magic, scheming chancellor, father-figure mentor
Ann Salmon
KEPT ME WANTING TO TURN THE PAGE UNTIL THE VERY LAST ONE AND THEN I WANTED MORE.
Claire Hill
If I had to rate on the impact this book (books?) had on my imagination as a child, I would rate it 5 stars. The characters, the setting, the conflict, and the magic all exploded in my mind in a very real and vivid way. I definitely loved Kari and Jessa to the moon and back as a middle schooler.

However, if I rate on the basis of the writing quality, it's only 3 stars. Rereading this book as an adult made me realize that much of what I loved about the book (i.e. Kari and Jessa) was a lot of my i
Holly
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, adventure fans
Kelsea  David
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Now, this book is filled with strange names and places and I know that it is YA, which I usually don’t read. But this book really grabbed me.

Gudrun is this creepy witch who seizes peoples minds and controls them. She has taken control of the kingdom and as her husband dies she will have total control. She only has one weakness: her reflection. It is the reason there are no mirrors in the hold. Now, Jessa and Thorkil end up as traitors and she exiles them blah blah blah. You already know all that

• Thief Eyes
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
  • Time's Daughter
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • The Power (The Magnificent 12, #4)
  • The Highwayman's Footsteps
  • Song of the Slums
  • Ravage (Deviants, #3)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)
  • Pharaoh
  • Breath of Angel (The Angelaeon Circle, #1)
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • A Stir of Bones (Red Heart of Memories, #0.5)
  • Wolven (Wolven, #1)
  • Hero's Song (The Songs of Eirren, #1)
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)
Catherine Fisher was born in Newport, Wales. She graduated from the University of Wales with a degree in English and a fascination for myth and history. She has worked in education and archaeology and as a lecturer in creative writing at the University of Glamorgan. She is a Fellow of the Welsh Academy.

Catherine is an acclaimed poet and novelist, regularly lecturing and giving readings to groups o

The Snow-Walker (3 books)
  • The Snow-Walker's Son
  • The Empty Hand
  • Ladrones de almas
“It's safe to tell a secret to one. Risky to tell it to two. To tell it to three is thoughtless folly, everyone else will know.” 15 likes