Start by marking “I'd Really Like to Eat a Child” as Want to Read:
I'd Really Like to Eat a Child

I'd Really Like to Eat a Child

A scrawny little crocodile wants the opportunity to bite off more than he can chew. He's tired of bananas; today he'd like to eat a child. But he's smaller than he thinks, and the little girl he chooses for his first meal puts him in his place—she picks him up and tickles his tummy! The little crocodile is going to have to eat a lot of bananas and grow a lot bigger before ...more
Published April 24th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I'd Really Like to Eat a Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'd Really Like to Eat a Child

Julia
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007, picturebooks
finally someone had the courage to say what we've all been thinking.
E
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
It's cute, witty and, by virtue of adeptly mixing those two elements, very clever.

Or it's crass, fear-inducing and inappropriate for children.

What's the answer? That parents shouldn't conservatively assume children can't handle dark humor, but also that parents shouldn't liberally assume all children of all ages can.

As with the brilliantly dark works of Jon Sczieska and Roald Dahl, I would not give this book to any child under the age of six. Depending upon th
Tiffany
Jun 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
I saw this book recommended at the bookstore and then had to endure it during story time with my 3-year-old at the museum. It's bizarre and frightening - nightmarish stuff, really. What child wants to think about alligators who are plotting to gobble them up? I figured the end would be somehow redeeming, but no - at the end, the alligator plans to eat more bananas to grow big and strong "so I can eat a child." My 3-year-old kept giving me wide-eyed looks through the whole book - I wish I had jus ...more
Abigail
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Satirical Children's Stories
A young crocodile named Achilles decides one day that he would like to eat a child, rather than his customary bananas. Nothing his parents do - fetching a huge sausage from the village, baking a delicious chocolate cake - makes any difference. Then an unexpected encounter with a child sends Achilles back to bananas - for a time...

I expected to enjoy Sylviane Donnio's I'd Really Like to Eat a Child more than I did. But although the narrative was amusing, and the illustrations by Dorothée d
Gregory Walters
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a book's title is too perfect. When I discovered this book on a shelf in a toy store in Seattle, I knew it would make a most amusing addition to the collection I keep in the principal's office. (Runner up that day: Monsters Eat Whiny Children. Oh, how I'd love to meet the store's buyer!)

One clever young office visitor spotted the book and fought unsuccessfully to repress his grin. It was a command reading.

Achilles the crocodile is seemingly content to feast on b
Benji Martin
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I liked when I read it silently to myself, but once I read it out loud to some students, I knew immediately that I love it, and that it's a book I'll be reading to kids for years to come.
Brandi
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Achilles is a baby crocodile with a dream. Instead of the bananas his mom and dad feed him for breakfast, he would prefer a child. In an attempt to convince his parents to stop feeding him bananas, little Achilles refuses to eat. The tears and bribes of Mama and Papa Crocodile do not convince Achilles to give up his dream. When Achilles finally does come face-to-face with a child, it does not go quite as he planned.
Students will relate to not wanting to eat what their parents give them.
Heidi-Marie
I'd heard this book was great and even picked it for my Food theme ST. Can't believe I waited until the day before to read it. But it is fabulous as so many said. Adorable pictures. Hilarious story. Best part for me was when he found a child. I hope I do it justice when I read it.

2/15/12 This went quite well in both storytimes. Loved the crocodile. Wide-eyed about him wanting to eat a child. Seemed the river part was their favorite, since the ending was just OK with them. Still--fabu
Amelia
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A+ 10/10 would read to tiny humans again.
Janni
Sep 17, 2008 added it
R.M. Donaldson
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This is one funny book, and little kids see things differently, and this little animal really doesn't want ot eat his healthy food, but he wants to eat a child, but has he taken on a task too big for his little mouth?
Susan
Kindergarten found this quite amusing. I was surprised to read reviews criticizing it for being scary - that never occurred to me.
Johanna Huang
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Although it seems like a scary title for a children's picture book, if you pick it up and read it through - there is a good chance that you will like this book. It's one of the picture books that my kindergarten students would beg me to do another read-aloud. The children can easily relate to the story line which is really about how a little kid (in the book it's the baby crocodile) sometimes just get tired of their parents telling them what they should eat and what they shouldn't. I read it onc ...more
Lisa Vegan
Hmm. I love the title. I love the premise. I love the name Achilles for the little crocodile’s name. The illustrations are cute. I really liked it as I was reading it.

However, when I’d finished it, it seemed a bit thin to me; I really wanted more to the story.

I’m also not quite sure about the intended audience for this book. I’d screen it before reading it to 3-4 year olds. I think 5-8 year olds might feel more glee than fear, but it depends on the individual child. The twist at the
Maria Burel
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I’d Really Like to Eat a Child tells the story of a little Alligator, Achilles, who is tired of his daily fare of bananas and decides he has a hankering for a small child instead. Mama and Papa Alligator find this idea ludicrous, and try to dissuade him by offering sausage or a chocolate cake. No dice. The hungry Achilles finally wanders down to the river for a swim, and lo and behold…there sits a child. What happens next is a hilarious lesson in perspective. The story is clever, though make sur ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I actually enjoyed the illustrations in this one more than the story, though the expressions on the alligators' faces didn't seem to always match what they were saying. The story was cute, though, about a baby alligator who won't eat what his parents offer him and sets out to eat a child. He gets more than he bargained for, however, when he meets one. I loved the little twist at the end. I must use it in my next story time!
Alia
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Finicky eater Achilles is sick of bananas and thinks he's like to eat a child. But the little girl he wants to call dinner is much more clever than this little croc. Counting Crocodiles meets Gregory the Terrible Eater. Oh and the cutest picture book crocodile I've come across. Lyle ain't got nothing on Achilles.
Maggie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
"I'd Really Like to Eat a Child" is a cute story with funny illustrations. It left me with a smile on my face. It might not be great for younger readers who might end up fearing being eaten by alligators/crocodiles, but it's a perfect read for a slightly older audience that will appreciate the humor.
Michael
Fun, simple art, with great facial expressions for the crocodiles. The story appears to take place somewhere in Africa and the main girl character is dark-skinned.
Heather
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really cute, good for outreach.
أميرة هاني
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
Preachy
Kathy
May 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I laugh every time I read this book! The drawings of Achilles are adorable.
Nancy
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A lovely book with an obvious "listen to your parents" message and a very very cute baby crocodile...but still slightly disturbing to me and because of that, I love this book!
Astri
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
What better way to get kids to eat their veggies than to tempt them with an ultimate goal: growing big enough to eat a human child.
I <3 this book.
Walter
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Walter by: Valerie Lewis
Oh, what fun it is to read this book aloud to children!
Miri
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Bizarre and adorable.
Mira Domsky
A baby crocodile wants to eat a child. Cute, funny, good for story time.
Sarah BT
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hilarious with an ending that you wouldn't expect.
Trinika Abraham
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a great picture book to share with children, you should checkout I’d Really Like to Eat a Child by Sylviane Donnio. This book is a must read for parents of picky eaters.
Achilles is a young crocodile with his mind set on one thing, eating a child. The unfortunate reality is that Achilles just isn’t big enough for the meal of his choice. Despite his growing hunger and pitiful size, Achilles refuses to eat his daily portion of bananas, he refuses to eat a truck sized sau
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Monsters Eat Whiny Children
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Ugly Fish
  • Beware of the Frog
  • Dirty Joe, the Pirate: A True Story
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
  • My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World