Start by marking “Kingdom: Tiber City Blues” as Want to Read:

Kingdom: Tiber City Blues

In a secret laboratory hidden under the desert, a covert bioengineering project—codename “Exodus”—has discovered the gene responsible for the human soul.

Somewhere in the neon sprawl outside the nation’s collapsing economic core, a group of renegade monks are on the verge of uncovering a secret that has eluded mankind for centuries.

In a glittering t
Published February 24th 2019 by Montag Press

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom

Dave
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O'Donnell's bio states that he is obsessed with the Clash and dystopian fiction. Cool! He offers us a future of biologically-engineered humans, cadavers being harvested for organs, slums filling the Southwest desert, religious orders searching for the soul gene, and of course punk rock. It's a future of haves and have nots, of revolution, of celebrity, and of decadence exploding in a fury of drugs, music, and havoc. The narrative is thick, rich, dark, and worth going back over for any phrase you ...more
Sebrina
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent World Building with an Interesting Plot

I should start by acknowledging that I am a light sci-fi fan. I typically am drawn to medieval fantasy or non-tech dystopian stories so this was a bit out of my comfort zone. For that reason, it took me a little bit to get into. Once I hit the 25% mark and was able to sort between the alternating POVs, then I didn't put it down until I finished.

Anderson is a master at world building and was able to create settings that were characters unto themsel
Mariel
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ir-reviews
I was disappointed by Tiber City Blues. I think I expected something different from “biopunk” than it really is — something more hopeful -- and by the end of this novel I couldn’t help feeling that I’ve heard this story before a hundred times before, even if the details were different in Tiber City. I couldn’t help feeling, too, that I could get the story it wants to tell somewhere else and enjoy it more.

The few moments where the book presented human connection were the ones I enjoyed most. The
Mrs Rj
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kingdom: Tyber City Blues is not to be read by the faint hearted! It gives a chilling account of a future society when the possibilities of bio-engineering go far beyond any moral right or wrong’s we may consider today. However, the beauty of science fiction is in how we can hear the echoes of our current society weaved through the concepts and O’Donnell does such a good job of this.

I occasionally got a little lost in the plot because of the pace which meant that, at times, I didn’t feel I had a
Anna Munger
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
With a manuscript that oozes a mixture of noir and science fiction, O’Donnell has created an incredibly dense, so-real-you-can-smell-it world. He shows his mastery of tension very early by throwing readers into Tiber City and its disease-ridden slums. O’Donnell’s descriptions are incredibly thorough as he even manages to highlight the hopelessness of random civilians without distracting from the main plot. In some places he is over-descriptive as those scene minutiae are still highly detailed un ...more
Victoria
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modern day 1985

Like most dark dystopian novels, O'Donnell warns readers of the dangers of our current path in foreboding and eerily relevant predictions that aren't decades down the road but right at our doorstep, making the thrilling nature of this story all the more haunting. While the imagery and description of events, places and details is nearly unparalleled in O'Donnell's remarkable use of language and larger than life visuals that undoubtedly suck readers in from page one, the character d
Jessica
This is a very interesting concept, and in all reality does not seem that far-fetched, given the current condition of insidious world affairs. It's not that difficult to envision this bioengineering project happening in real time.
With story ideas such as this a rapid pace is necessary for the narrative. However, this story rushes along in such a way that it is a but difficult to connect with some of the integral characters.
Mark Smith
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anderson O’Donnell breaks the mold with his part adventure, part fantasy, part adventure, and part Sci Fi novel. It’s rather difficult for an author to combine so many sub-genres without losing their reader. But O’Donnell does this with ease. Kingdom: Tier City Blues shows us a city and economy in disrepair. The plot follows a darker path to the conflict and resolution. Readers should be warned; this book may depress or even cause them to question the status of the nation.
Anderson O'Donnell
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lee Bay
marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2019
Amanda Delatorre
marked it as to-read
May 06, 2019
Writer. Obsessed with Dystopian/noir fiction, the Clash, and my two year old son. Debut novel KINGDOM in stores May 14, 2012