Start by marking “Power Study (Study, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Power Study (Study, #3.5)

Power Study

(Poison Study #3.5)

Ari and Janco deal with a Sandseed Story Weaver and a cocky young soldier while Valek is off helping Yelena.
Published 2008 by Maria V. Snyder

To ask other readers questions about Power Study, please sign up.
Samantha I found the answer on her website at: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/books.php. They would be best read in this order:
POISON STUDY
ASSASSIN STUDY (short…more
POISON STUDY
ASSASSIN STUDY (short story)
MAGIC STUDY
FIRE STUDY
POWER STUDY (short story)
STORM GLASS
SEA GLASS
SPY GLASS
ICE STUDY (short story)
SHADOW STUDY
NIGHT STUDY (forthcoming January 26, 2016)
DAWN STUDY (forthcoming February 28, 2017) (less)
Emy All of the author's free fiction is available from her website: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/shortstor...

Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Read for free here: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/powerstud...

Well, this felt a heck of a lot longer than it was! I thought it was never going to end! Kinda boring really.
Irene Sim
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ari and Janco, I have really missed these fools!
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hardcore fans *like me* of Study Series
*3,7/5 stars*

Power Study is a fun novella, which takes place soon after Fire Study, it's told from Janco's and Ari's pov. *And I absolutely adore these two! Especially Janco's pov was amazing.*

Available on author's website: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/powerstud...

“May be a spy. ‘May’ being the key word.” Maren looked at Ari. “What’s next?”
“Hey,” Janco said. “How come you always ask him? He’s just the muscle. I’m the brains of this outfit.”
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

Better than other Study's bonuses, but my excitement was already lost somewhere between 2nd and 3rd parts of the series, so... I didn't die, I've read it fast, amen.

(Study) Испытание:
Poison Study (Испытание ядом) #1/3
Assassin Study (Испытание убийством) #1.5/3
Magic Study (Испытание магией) #2/3
— Fire Study (Испытание огнем) #3/3
Power Study (Испытание силой) #3.5/3
Ice Study (Испытание льдом) #3.6/3

Glass (Стекло):
— Storm Glass (Стекло штормов)
AthinaB
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Μία συμπαθητική ιστορία με τον Ari και τον Janco. Ο συνδυασμός αυτών τον δύο πάντα με κάνει να γελάω με τους επιπόλαιους τσακωμούς τους, ακόμα και τις πιο ακατάλληλες στιγμές.
Diana
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes! More of Ari and Janco please. They are the best!
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Update 6/4/15:
Even more enjoyable the second time around!

Original review 13/4/14:
Power Study is an eight chapter novella written from the POVs of two of my favourite characters in the Study series: both Ari and Janco. The storyline for this book is quite interesting even though I don’t see it as mighty important for the series, but perhaps it will play a bigger part in the spin-off series, and if not oh well.

The real stars of the show were of course Ari and Janco! You don’t learn anything new ab
Helena of Sparta ✰
This was another fun (but, thankfully, longer) novella in the Ixian Chronicles...and this time, it was told from the perspectives of Ari and Janco (with Maren making appearances, as well), so I LOVED it just as much as Valek’s previous novella. ;)

I absolutely adore this pair of everyone’s favourite soldiers. Their banter back-and-forth and constant bickering is absolutely hilarious (especially Janco’s fighting rhymes and sarcastic commentary) and I love when we get to hear about Valek and Yelen
Devin
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Maria V. Snyder so much.
Manisha
This was a novella that didn’t further the story in any way. However, as I find Ari and Janco adorable, watching them banter, as well as seeing their mischievous antics was entertaining for me. If you have lukewarm feelings towards them, you would probably see this as a waste of time.
Jessica {Litnoob}
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This as far as I know added nothing to the larger story, BUT it was so worth the read. This little glimpse into Ari and Janco was so worth it. Their banter and style is always a good time and we got to see a little of Maren... like just so necessary lol
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

A fun little look at mostly Janco’s point of view as they are recruited by a Sitian magician to help hunt down a powerful blood weapon being abused by a green Sitian rookie.

I’ll be honest, Janco got on my nerves a bit. I like Ari’s calm stoicness. Janco never knows when to shut up and he’s clearly in love with himself. That being said, it was Janco’s brains that figured out how to overpower the bad guy, even though Ari normally takes the
~ Giulia ~
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
A nice short story featuring two of the best characters in the series, who, after the first book, got criminally underused, and overshadowed by bigger players.
Ari and Janco should have their own book, with no Yelena, no crazy power-ups, no sitian Council or Master Magicians; just the two of them going on about their daily lives, bantering all the way through their missions.
missART
Jan 31, 2009 rated it liked it
I thought this was a fun adventure with Janco and Ari. It made me laugh a few times and gave me incite into just how spazy Janco is. Haha.
Just Josie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, fantasy
These two!

Fun, perky, loyal and awesome! Janco and Ari are the best. Such a nice addition to the series. Great being in “their heads”, even though it was such a short time.

Well-written, action packed and true to the characters.

Read: 24/07/2018
Will I recommend: Yes.
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
Bit disappointing. As much as I like Ari and Janco as characters, this story was a little boring, and it didn't add too much to the main plot.
Dani Jade
A short story about Ari and Janco. Doesn’t contribute much but Ari and Janco are loveable as always.
Eureca Laurice
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novelette, fantasy, magic
I took delight on Janco and Ari's POV. Especially Janco's.

Full of actions and enticing short story.

It will let you delve on some of the side character of (Study Series)Ixian Chronicles, well just Janco and Ari mainly.
Lex
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ari and Janco! <3
EmilyAnne
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Janco and Ari are two of my favorite characters lol
Jillian
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Short story with Ari and Janco. This short story and the other two from this series are on the author's website and can be read for free.
*Review edited to include below*
About the Series:
I highly recommend this series to anyone looking for a fantasy and magic series. You could probably get away with reading some of these as standalone and still enjoy them but it won't be nearly as exciting or rewarding if you don't read them in order. They aren't overly sexual either as the intimate scenes
Indigo
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone that loves funny dialogue, humor, thoughts, and wit. As well as Ari and Janco fans!
Recommended to Indigo by: Goodreads
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
*LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE*

True Rating: 4.5 stars

cute cat gif photo: Kitty~ 1665818vx5pzzmepe.gif
Had so much fun writing out status updates for this forgive me!

I can only say one thing... I WANT MOAR!
cute cat gif photo: e52b0bd6-ed37-4ed4-b8de-aa85eaa25eb2.gif

More of Janco, more of Ari, more writing featuring them both as the main protagonists, more of their background and interactions and humor, more of their dialogue and ways of seeing the world, MORE OF JANCO'S MIND! Just... please! MORE! I beg of you!
please more cat photo: mauuuu! More_Of_That_Please_s.jpg

Just please more of Janco's funny mind... I beg of you!
please more cat photo: Cat Bet Catbox.gif

Anyways enough with the fangasming I hope and
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Power Study is a free short story that can be read on Maria V. Snyder's website here. It fits into the time line of the series during events in Fire Study so I wouldn't recommend reading it until after you've finished that book.

Ari and Janco were my favourite side characters in the series, they added a lot of humour to every scene they were in so I was excited to spend some time getting to know them a bit better. This short story shows us what they got up to towards the end of Fire Study when Va
Rose
May 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers who loved "Poison Study"
Shelves: fantasy
"Power Study" is an eight chapter side story written from the perspectives of two of my favorite characters from the series: Ari and Janco. I found this to be a fun read, and an interesting enough set of events to what the two were doing while Valek and Yalena were off on their own pursuits. Maren has a bit part in this story as well, adding to both the humor and dynamic.

What I liked about this particular story is the life given to these characters. The dialogue is sharp and charming in the same
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

This is an extra that's available on the author's website here:

Right. So this is a short from Janco and Ari's POV (<-----awesome), which means hilarious, but the entire point of it seems to be laying the groundwork for a previously unremarked upon ability of Janco's. I'm assuming that this new ability will have a role to play in the upcoming new installments of the series, so I recommend reading it just for that. It's not very long, and while t
Siobhan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
What a fun short story!

I think I enjoyed this so much because of the characters involved. Who doesn’t love a good Ari and Janco story? We really need more of these guys. They have such a great dynamic, which is really shown off in this story. In all honesty, I’d be more than happy with multiple short stories containing these characters.

Whilst not all that important to the main series, it is interesting to read as it provides more information into the two characters. Plus, it’s fun.

What’s not to
Maria Kaye
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Can be read at: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/powerstud...

It's official I freaking love Janco and Ari. you don't get to see them that much after the first Study book since Yelena isn't in Ixia. Janco and Ari are so funny together, they have absolutely great chemistry and are such an awesome kick-ass team. Also, there were little hints here and there about Janco being able to see through illusions and sense magic. Perhaps he is a magician? ! Who knows, but I'm excited to see them (if they're) in Sh
Alexandra
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
It was nice to see more of Ari and Janco. They're two of my favorite characters in the series, so I was happy to follow them on this adventure. It was a quick, fun read. Again, it was only available on online like the other short stories in this series. But I was happy to see this wasn't written with the help of the fans like the previous short story.
Cherie (Myst)
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A short story happening after Fire Study - told from the perspective of Ari and Janco who are on a mission involving fighting and magic (as usual!). Not too bad - very quick read.
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Dangerous (Darkest Powers, #0.6)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • Shattered (Shade, #3.5)
  • In Dreams
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse #0.5)
  • The Importance of Being Emily (Bad Witch: The Emily Chronicles #1)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Cast in Moonlight (Chronicles of Elantra, #0.5)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • Under Sea's Shadow
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
When Maria V. Snyder was younger, she aspired to be a storm chaser in the American Midwest so she attended Pennsylvania State University and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. Much to her chagrin, forecasting the weather wasn’t in her skill set so she spent a number of years as an environmental meteorologist, which is not exciting...at all. Bored at work and needing a creative out ...more

Poison Study (6 books)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Magic Study (Study, #2)
  • Fire Study (Study, #3)
  • Shadow Study (Soulfinders #1; Study, #4)
  • Night Study (Soulfinders, #2; Study, #5)
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3; Study, #6)
“We are searching for the same thing,” Stripey said.

“How do you know?” Janco asked.

“I read his mind.” The Sitian pointed to Ari. “Yours was too…chaotic. Too many useless thoughts to wade through.”

A compliment or an insult? Janco guessed compliment and preened.”
10 likes
“Care to explain?” Ari asked.

“Didn’t you see my signals?”

“Yeah. But they didn’t make sense. Five into one and it’s an intrusion.”

“It’s an illusion! Five of them are an illusion.”

“That’s not the signal for illusion. This is.” Ari demonstrated the proper signal.

“That’s what I did.”

“No, you didn’t. You did a weird twisty thing with your pinky.”

“I had a scimitar at my throat. I’d like to see you try signaling under those conditions.”
-Janco and Ari bickering”
7 likes