Start by marking “Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse” as Want to Read:
Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse

Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse

Award-winning actor and bestselling author John Lithgow wields a whip-smart, satirical pen in this poetic diatribe chronicling the last few abysmal years in politics. With lacerating wit, he takes readers verse by verse through the history of Donald Trump's presidency, lampooning the likes of Betsy DeVos, Anthony Scaramucci, Scott Pruitt, Paul Manafort, Trump's doctors, ...more
Published October 22nd 2019 by Chronicle Prism

To ask other readers questions about Dumpty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dumpty

Start your review of Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse
Faith
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, overdrive
“Sure Dumpty’s a foolhardy figure of fun, but laugh at your peril there’s work to be done. Democracy’s frail but our spirit is firm, restrict Trumpty Dumpty to only one term.”

The poems are clever and amusing. The music and sound effects on the audiobook are loud and annoying.
Joan Eisenstodt
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political-humor
Oh oh oh .. I can hear John Lithgow's voice as I read these -- often out-loud because they sound even better. My gratitude is so great for this amazing creativity to help us get through these dark dark times. Yes, you want this. Or you want to give it as I did to a cousin for her birthday. Or a Thanksgiving (perfect to read aloud at the table!), Hanukkah or Christmas or Kwanzaa or Solstice or no-reason-at-all-present. In fact take it to Thanksgiving Funner and do a reading around the table. ...more
Mary
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just listened to John Lithgow read from one of the poems on Morning Joe. Brilliant and fabulously illustrated by himself. "Running" to Amazon to buy and gift.
Peacegal
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Lithgow has showcased his impressive way with words in a variety of children's books, and now here's a collection of poetry and lyrics calling out Trump and his associates for their various misdeeds.

I'm truly impressed by how talented Lithgow is; the poetry is witty and sharp and the song parodies in particular are a delight. Humorous pen-and-ink illustrations also dance through the pages.

While this little book was for the most part a lot of fun, one poem in particular dampened my enthusiasm a
Tina
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Satire like no other, this is brilliant work by Lithgow...if not depressing as all heck...

And, elitist wit supercedes the intellect of blind followers, so, there is that as well. Those who need the recognition of exactly what has been slapped in our faces of abuse of power & downright negligence of office & responsibility won't understand the satire & most likely be scarily overwhelmed...or say, "Who cares?"

I laughed at this...mostly a nervous laugh...but laughed nonetheless because
Jeimy
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was hilarious, but I must confess I was only able to get through it by switching to the audiobook. Whereas the written words made my blood boil because they made me remember all the scandals in the past three years, Lithgow's narration livens it up and allows the comedy of the poems to shine.
Lynn
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it

Apparently, there is nothing John Lithgow can't do (and do well). I found the poems to be well-informed and amusing. The artwork was terrific!
Lucy
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of poems & a reminder...one after another after another...VOTE, DANG IT, VOTE!!
Sue Munson
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laughter amid tears

This would be way funnier if there wasn't so much truth in it. That said, it's clever and well written by a brilliant writer. As one previous reviewer said, it's not fair that John Lithgow is so multi-talented, but he is and his book is proof positive of it.
Dan Downing
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sandbagged! Rarely do I interrupt myself when reading one book to switch to another, but today, a quarter through the currant bestselling expose', I stopped to put covers on two new books. "Dumpty" was one. I got hooked. One poem of classical merit after another, ironically following Dante's example, whose spirit I recently encountered in "The Dante Chamber".
Here the polymath John Lithgow examines the pestilential hoard of loathsome creatures surrounding, often summoned from the beyond, by
StephanieNicole
I want to write that this book is a fun and humorous look at the Trump presidency, but the Trump presidency is not fun or funny, and I feel a little perverse finding humor about this serious topic. At times, I even felt like the poems were propaganda. While Lithgow is clearly taking a political side, he is also just stating facts (in a lighthearted way). The tone of the book is humorous, but to me, it was also eerie.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there are sketches by Lithgow
Kerry
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up for a giggle, expecting to leaf through it solely to admire Lithgow's illustrations as he is a gifted artist of children's picture books. I ended up appreciating the clever verse even more! Here is a compact chronicle of the Trump administration's major scandals-to-date in one entertaining, if outrageous, volume. In these times, it's tough to keep up with the breathtaking pace of disgrace:

"He's done most of these things and a hundred things more,
And God only knows what he still
Marion
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never cease to be amazed and delighted by John Lithgow’s wide ranging talent. Here he offers up a scathing series of hilarious poems (he calls them satirical doggerel) about the tRump administration’s time in office. The last 3 years have been so very depressing, it feels good when we get a chance to laugh out loud at the incompetence and corruption we see every day.

Even better, I learned from one of his interviews he had originally majored in art while in college. He drew all of the equally
Ilana
Good! I can imagine Lithgow reading these verses must add a lot to the experience, but as it is, I’m so disgusted by Dumpfeld and this entire administration that I haven’t the heart to laugh much. I just want them gone and remembered as an embarrassing anecdote in American history. There will still remain the hordes of deplorables who’ve now been activated worldwide to deal with, however. No matter how I look at it... how do you laugh at your worst nightmare become a reality? Lithgow put in a ...more
Kristian
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poem, satire, verse
I've been a fan of John Lithgow since 3rd rock from the Sun and later on from his amazing performance on Dexter. Now I'm a even bigger fan for his satire and wit. Dumpty was a quick read but dives into different aspects of this chaotic White House with smart, clever writing. Just in case you're unfamiliar with who or what he is referencing in his writing, he makes sure to add references at the end each of his passages. Very fun read.
Deb
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Lithgow's illustrations and verse are delightful. Here's a taste:

Trumpty Dumpty wanted a barrier,
Broad as a wall but preferably scarier.
He wanted a fortress, forbidding and stout,
To keep all those meddling journalists out.

Dumpty detested each sentence they wrote.
Presidential harassment was getting his goat.
How could he counter their carping and slanders?
That impregnable bulwark, Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
Linda
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction

I love John Lithgow's humor and enjoyed this book a great deal. Reading it reminded me to get out his "Singin' in the Bathtub" album and enjoy its sublime goofiness again. However, I could not believe that he only devoted a few short lines to Pence. I live in Indiana, and I could do an entire companion volume of verse about our former governor.
Anne, Unfinished Woman
Hilarious, witty, entertaining. When he combines the using parody of earlier poetry, opera, songs it is especially fun to read out loud or sing, such as "My Favorite Lies" to the tune of "My Favorite Things" from "Sound of Music." What a hoot. I saw him interviewed about this, and he read some of the poems and commented on the politics. He is a particulatly talented man.
Keith Beasley-Topliffe
A collection of satirical poety about the Trump administration. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad. Sometimes parodies of familiar poems (e.g., The Modern Major General about John Kelly). Sometimes with footnotes reminding the reader who these obscure folks are and what role they played in the history of the last three years. Mostly fun. Reminded me of Calvin Trillin's books on past elections.
Howard
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully entertaining book of contemporary political doggerel. Lithgow's satire is quite creatively put into simple rhyme schemes and skewers an amazing number of Secretary's, bureaucrats, insiders and parasites besides the main character President Dumpty.
Mandy
Nov 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I agree, but I just really didn’t like it. I don’t know who this actor is and I just didn’t find many of the poems very funny. Forced rhymes and silliness. Also, I get that it’s satire, but just the entire way he talks about women throughout is exhausting, no matter who they are.
Kathy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Lithgow has written clever poetry that captures current history with parody of well-known poems. I could hear his voice in each verse. I particularly like that he has footnotes explaining the inspiration of the piece.
Intentional  Goddess
John Lithgow and am educational poetry book on the upsetting state of affairs in America. What else can you say? Informational tidbits and humourous reprieve.
Cate Triola
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eventually, I might get tired of Trump satire. Not yet though.
Louis Albert
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable. Political satire done in poems.
Gerry Hvozdovich
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny verse. Would be a lot funnier if not so true!! What has our country become?!?!
Arie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Artistic. Hilarious.
Mary T
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too depressing to be clever and funny.
Susan Drislane
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love John Lithgow and really needed to laugh! Perfect gift!
Susan
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clever.
Insightful.

• A Warning
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • The Enemy of the People: A Dangerous Time to Tell the Truth in America
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Eraser
  • Crossfire Hurricane: Inside Donald Trump's War on the FBI
  • A Very Stable Genius
  • The Man Who Sold America: Trump and the Unraveling of the American Story
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • Sulwe
  • Me
John Lithgow is a prolific actor with two Tonys, six Emmys, two Golden Globes, and two Oscar nominations to his name. He has starred in the hit TV series 3rd Rock from the Sun, Dexter, and The Crown, and in beloved films like The World According to Garp, Shrek, and Terms of Endearment. Lithgow has appeared on Broadway twenty-five times and in England with both the Royal Shakespeare Company and the ...more