Start by marking “First Time's a Charm (Grimalkin Academy: Kittens, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Time's a Charm (Grimalkin Academy: Kittens, #1)

First Time's a Charm

(Grimalkin Academy: Kittens #1)

Things might be easier if I could stop conjuring kittens every time I attempt a spell.

Published June 24th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

Renée
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mona’s not your average witch, as she has a few hiccups with her magic, and lets not forget the kittens along the way. Her story is a refreshing and interesting take on this genre, plus I loved the little Harry Potter references as well.

This is a slow burn reverse harem, and development of the characters and their relationship with the FMC - Mona has been perfectly written.

First Time's a Charm is the first book in the Grimalkin Academy series from Laura Greenwood, and can’t wait to read more o
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, 2019
On occasion, I read magical academy stories. This is the slightly more grown-up version, a magical university. The book was certainly humorous in parts, as the protagonist, Mona, is definitely having issues with her magic. She can't get it to go right at all. What is she going to do with all the kittens she seems to magically conjure? I loved the references to Harry Potter; nothing was super overt (especially the first line), but if you know your Harry Potter, you will catch the references. I li ...more
Lissa Hawley
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

OK, not gonna lie, I am sort of over the whole "Academy" craze. They all sort of blur together at this point, so if they're not from an author I've already read and loved I have been giving most of them a pass. This one caught my eye for obvious (to me) reasons, cats, Grimalkin, anyway...
I figured I would give it a try. And, it's OK. Not fabulous, but not terrible. It is super short, and ends rather in the middle of things. There's no monster of the week, no complete story with an over
Jennifer G
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once upon a time, Mona was good at magic. But when she went to Grimalkin Academy an evil witch put a curse on her. Now her magic no longer works. Now, whenever she tries to perform a spell she conjures adorable kittens. Rhubarb, Ginger, Felix, and Isla. Four adorable little magical fluffballs. This puts her at the mercy of the mean girl Ivy and exposes her to the ridicule of the school. Luckily she has her roomie Daphnie, Daphnie's twin and her crush Ryan, her sorta boyfriend Caspian, and a teac ...more
LMR
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers Over 18 Only Please
Recommended to LMR by: Laura Greenwood & Booksprout!
First Time's a Charm (Grimalkin Academy Kittens, #1) by Laura Greenwood First Time's A Charm (Grimalkin Academy: Kittens Book 1) By: Laura Greenwood
The "First Time's a Charm" If YOU Want Kittens... If NOT, Her Magic's Wonky NOT Charmed At All!
The "First Time's a Charm," or Sooo they say...
But for this Gal, She's suddenly hav'n Trouble with Each & EVERY Spell...
It Started Right after She came to this School,
That's when Her Magic Turned OFF, Flipped a Switch,
And Suddenly the "First Time's a Charm" didn't WORK AnyMore!
But there's Some Hope com'n Her Way...
As a fe
Emily Pennington
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is our short introduction to a new potentially fun series, judging by all the mishaps and craziness!

Mona used to be a talented teenage witch until someone cursed her. So as she starts magic school at Grimalkin Academy, her spells are producing KITTENS instead of what she intended! She’s not sure what’s going on with her wonky magic. Schools can be difficult enough to navigate without the embarrassing failure of simple magic spells. So you know the bullies will come out to play!

One bright s
Billie
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I used to be good at magic. That's how I got into Grimalkin Academy in the first place. Then I was dared by my friends to try a spell way above my abilities. Now, the end of year exams are coming up, and I need to find a way to stop my magic going haywire all the time or I'm going to fail.
At least matters of my heart are easy enough...for now.
A paranormal academy slow burn reverse harem.

This is the first book
Laura Greenwood
Aug 15, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Grimalkin Academy: Kittens Series:
1. First Time's a Charm: books2read.com/firsttimesacharm
2. Second Time's A Curse: books2read.com/secondtimesacurse
3. Third Time's A Crime: books2read.com/thirdtimesacrime
4. Coming Soon!

You can also join my Goodreads Reader Group for new release alerts, spoiler threads, and more!
==> https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
Nina Campbell
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First Times A Charm by Laura Greenwood is the first book in the Grimalkin Academy series. In this book, a student named Mona attending the Grimalkin Academy has her magic begin malfunctioning within a day of beginning her first terms as a student at the magical university. I loved the way the book focuses on the mystery of Mona’s magical problem while simultaneously building and exciting world to keep the reader interested. This story was intense yet whimsical with a smattering of young romance ...more
Angie Barnes
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about a young woman who is a withch and she has gone to university for magic. Mona is a witch and has been doing magic since she was a child. At university she can't do the spells that she was able to do before. There are a few people who want to help her with her problems and as they look for answers she finds more questions. Mona finds out that a curse has been put on her, but she don't know by who or why.
What will happen between Mona and Caspian? Will she realize she has real f
Brianna Belbin
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing start to a new series! Mona has always been great at magic until she came to Grimalkin Academy. Ever since her arrival, her magic hasn’t worked... and now she produces magical kittens every time she tries a spell. I really enjoyed the academy setting that Laura has created and I can’t wait for more to be discovered. I loved Mona and Daphne’s friendship along with her slow burn/ potential relationships with Caspian, Ryan, and Thomas. Her four kittens, Rhubarb, Ginger, Felix, a ...more
Elizabeth McDaniel
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mona and Daphne are best friends at Grimalkin Academy. Every since Mona got to the academy her powerful magic quit working. Then she started making kittens when she tried to use it. Mona has a crush on Ryan, Daphne’s twin brother. And he likes her. Then Caspian shows up and Mona kind of dates him. Thomas is a student teacher assistant and likes Mona too. He figures out Mona is cursed. What will Mona do with her little harem ? Why will happen with her magic? I hope things get figured out in the n ...more
Caroline Doig
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mona’s spells go haywire when she tries to do a spell way above her abilities it backfires and all it produces are kittens. As with any academy there are bullies but in this one there is a mean girl and her name is Ivy and she makes Mona’s life hell, there is also an evil witch who puts a curse on Mona but luckily she has her guys that she can count on and her best friend and roommate Daphne and her twin Ryan who she has a massive crush on they will all back her up. Fantastic story and I can’t w ...more
T.
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
First Time's a Charm was a 15 Chapter novella which starts the Grimalken series. Fun story, but too short (a little over 100 pgs)--it read more like an installation of a serial read, than the first book of a series, especially because of the abrupt ending. The characters weren't as developed as I like and from the beginning, it's easy to guess Mona's issue. I won't be pre-ordering this author again as I want to know a page count before I start a series-- installment serials are not of interest t ...more
Charlotte Clavier
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mona is a witch whose never had a problem with her magic before but when she starts going to Grimalkin Academy it starts going a bit haywire. It seems to have a liking for conjuring up kittens. Cute! With the help of her friend, her friends brother (Ryan), New student (Caspian) and Teacher? (Thomas aka Mr Smith). Three guys im assuming will be her reverse harem in the future. A great start though. Im loving Mona & the guys already. The only problem i have is that the book seemed a short read ...more
Anne Dwyer
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as Mona got to the Grimalkin Academy, it seemed that her magic stopped working - and every time she tried to cast a spell, a kitten was conjured! She loves her kittens, but needs to get her magic right again. Has she been cursed? Thomas is trying to help her find a cure - Caspian likes her - but has secrets that tie him to Ivy - is she the one who cursed Mona? I loved this light hearted story - and cant wait to find out what happens next!

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout
Donna
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Grimalkin Academy (Kittens) Series, and I really enjoyed it. Combining magic, relationships, university life, general mayhem, and (of course!) kittens, it's very funny, and I'd highly recommend this story to any adults who liked Harry Potter but wished there was a grownup's version! I'm definitely looking forward to reading book two of the series to find out what happens next.
NB I received a complimentary copy of this book, but I always give an HONEST review based w
Christina Luberts
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short read that young adults and teens would love. We have Mona that lost her power of magic when she got to Grimalkin Academy. Daphne is her best friend, Ryan is Daphne's twin, Thomas is a Advance student, Caspian is a new student and Ivy is her arch enemy. Mona's magic keeps giving her kittens. Can the boys and Daphne help her? Will Ivy ever stop with her bulling? Who does Mona really want as her boyfriend? Can she have all three? What is she going to do with these kittens?

I received
Mareike
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This was such a cute little story, filled with adorable kittens and a couple of sweet guys. I really hope that Mona finds a way to remove the curse from herself, although find it quite funny how she's producing a kitten each time she attempts a spell!
I look forward to the next installment in the series...I really need to see exactly who ends up in her harem and can't wait for someone to make an actual move.

Marianela Aybar
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This does end on a cliffhanger which I normally don't like and usually avoid those stories but I like Laura Greenwood and this was written so well that you can't help but keep reading. I wish we could have gotten more of Mona and the guys but it's understandable we will get more in the coming book. It is somewhat funny with all the kittens being produced.

Reena
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A first book in a new series that hooked me from the start. Light-hearted, funny, with a bit of a mystery (who cursed Mona?) and a slow-burn RH. Still, there are self-confidence issues addressed here and the author does a great job giving them in a lighthearted way. It's a highly enjoyable story, easy to read and perfect for a lazy summer afternoon.

Michelle
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksprout-arc, 2019, arc
First Time's A Charm is a cute, short novella and a great start to the Grimalkin Academy series. I loved that every time Mona tried her magic she ended up with kittens. This is a slow burn reverse harem filled with magic, a curse, kittens, humor, drama and more. Great writing, fun characters and cute kittens make this a fun read and I can't wait to find out what happens in the next book. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Raveen Vann
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Mona used to be pretty good with her magic before attending Grimalkin and now she can even seem to get a simple spell to work. Then things backfire and now has kittens from the spells somehow and has no clue as to whats going on. On top of that there is more than one guy who wants her attention and to be with her and shes not sure how to tread that at all. Really enjoyed this and ready for the next one.
Natalie panda eyes
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this one because of the giant cute kitten on the cover of the second book. Short and to the point. One girl struggling with her magic, three guys around her but no romance as of yet. The kittens are the best part of the story, since its a school its going down the mean girl route. The MC is confusing and not sure I like her 'Sorry I'm being a bitch, its a bad day', oh and there is plenty of Harry Potter references. Still love the kittens.
Trina
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great start to a series, didn’t want it to end so soon. Was an easy read. The relationships that Mona has with several boys is quite a challenge for her, will be interested in how she handles the situation in the next book.

Tera Comer
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I love how Mona handles her problem of her magic not working properly and that her best friend Daphne does not care about that. The slow burn for this RH is done perfectly so far, as I can tell who are Mona's guys for her harem. Ivy is the perfect mean girl and let me say I can not wait to see Mona put her into her place
Andrea Green
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book and just could'nt put it down, fantastically written with stunning and captivating characters, Multi layers of sub plots that are easily followed and wonderful action with romance. A must read for so many reasons. I am sure you will love these books as much as I did as it has alot of fun with in it along with a little mystery.
Shweta Beriwal
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most paranormal series start with a totally unaware human finding out about their powers and magical heritage but this one starts with one witch losing her powers.

Has all the beginnings of RH but nothing concrete happens here.

I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Erin
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the story and the adding of cats made me like it more. This book introduces the characters for their buildup in the series. Mona works to restore her magic with her friend Daphne. Looking forward to see how this story and the characters progress.
Tanya
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
she was able to do magic which was why she was at the school. She then tries a spell which she should not have and now she was in trouble as all her spell ended up with kittens. What will she do? See how she will get on

Laura is a USA Today Bestselling Author of paranormal, fantasy, and contemporary romance. When she's not writing, she can be found drinking ridiculous amounts of tea, trying to resist French Macaroons, and watching the Pitch Perfect trilogy for the hundredth time (at least!)

You can check out Laura's Website here:
www.authorlauragreenwood.co.uk

Join her Goodreads Group: https://www.goodreads.com/gro
“Maybe I just want you for your kitten.” 0 likes
“Perfect. Do you have a jacket?" Relaxing slightly, I let out a laugh. "Clearly you've never dated a Northern girl before. We don't need jackets.” 0 likes