Start by marking “Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life” as Want to Read:

Ali Wong's heartfelt and hilarious letters to her daughters (the two she put to work while they were still in utero), covering everything they need to know in life, like the unpleasant details of dating, how to be a working mom in a male-dominated profession, and how she trapped their dad.

In her hit Netflix comedy special Baby Cobra, an eight-month pregnant Ali Wong resonat
Published October 15th 2019 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Dear Girls, please sign up.
Scott Pare It wasn't a problem reading it as a guy. If you are going to get grossed out by her describing giving birth and the graphic way she describes the…moreIt wasn't a problem reading it as a guy. If you are going to get grossed out by her describing giving birth and the graphic way she describes the after effects (I don't remember my wife leaking the level Ali did, and Ali had a C section, so I thought some of her stuff was exaggerated.) then probably skip that chapter. Overall it is a pretty funny read and the afterward is by her husband, so you do get 1 chapter of a guy's perspective.(less)

Start your review of Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life
Emily May
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emily May by: Mimi
I've felt an increasing amount of jealousy and resentment from certain white male comics... I hear that line a lot: 'Me, I'm just another white guy.' Here's a solution: Try being a funnier white guy.

I had such a fun time reading this book!

Dear Girls was given to me as a gift and, at first, I wasn't sure how much it was really my thing, or even if I was going to read it. I like Ali Wong's stand-up just fine, but I don't read many books by comedians (just Born a Crime, which you definitely should read). Also,
Miranda Reads
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Miranda by: Mimi

Right off the bat - a quick PSA to Mari and Nikki (the "girls" that Ali refers to in the story) - your mother was right.

Do not (ABSOLUTELY DO NOT) read this book before you're 21. In fact, deeply consider reading it at all.

There are things that are objectively hilarious (abso-freaking-lutely hilarious) but horrifying (stunningly so) when you learn it's your own mother in the center of the story.

*ahem* onto the review!
That day, my co-workers found out my secret: I'm a fucking idiot.
Ali Woreview!butare(ABSOLUTELY
Jeffrey Keeten
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Mimi
”I often think about what it would be like for my grandfather to see me now. What would he think about me saying all of the disgusting things I say onstage? How he would feel about his granddaughter talking about what she lusts after? How I obsess over the most trivial problems. How I make a living by talking about what I want. How people pay to see his granddaughter just talk. He’d probably think I was some sort of magician with ancient powers, derived from behaving very well in a past life. Or a wi ...more
Debra
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 Stars

Dear Girls is a book made up of Ali Wong writing letters (chapters) to her young daughters. The letters are hilarious, cautionary candid tales telling of Ali's life experiences from childhood through adulthood and cumulating into her becoming a mother. She is frank, candid, vulgar and hilariously real about all aspects of her life. She is not afraid to take risks and encourages her daughters to do so but to also learn from the mistakes their mother has made.

Her book reads l
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Mimi
This was such a reprieve from what turned out to be a heavy month. I can't remember the last time I've laughed so hard, and my only gripe is that I wish there was more! Seriously, I could listen to Ali Wong and her personal brand of female humor all day every day. This was excellent as an audio book read by Wong! Highly recommended.
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Ali Wong makes me laugh....
...she is not only hilariously funny...but underneath her raunchy humor, she’s a down-to-earth sweetie-pie luv-bug!

“Dear Girls” is her memoir - -non-fiction book for her fans - ( I’m one of them), and anyone curious about her.
It’s written as a letter to her two young little girls....
with instructions: NOT TO
BE READ UNTIL AGE 21!

I loved this book... I loved reading about Ali.....
*everything Ali*!!!

We learn about Ali’s upbringing- and he
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Let me tell you, it is such a relief to have a funny, well-written book from a comedian that I admire. Man, I've been burned so many times before with mediocre books from comedians, I barely dared to hope with this one. But Ali Wong really delivered.

If you are a fan of Ali Wong, you will like this book. I pinky-swear promise. The beginning of the book is pure Ali Wong humor, and if you think think that means vagina and pubic hair jokes, you would be 100% CORRECT.

Ali Wong is purely who she is, and I love th
Mimi
I truly feared this book would be fluff. Instead it is fearless and real.

Ali Wong says how we all feel: I'm not fine. Yet in her resilience and grit she is able to turn childhood resentment, male rejection, discrimination, getting boo'd offstage, the fear of a prenup, and a bushy pussy into the best things that could have happened to her.

I laughed out loud as I imagined Ali's exaggerated comedy voice confessing life moments like this one when she was pregnant:

After a while, I couldn't s/>After
Katie
If you want to enjoy this book, don't read the last chapter.

"First, do not read this book until you are over twenty-one. You should not be allowed to know these inappropriate things about me if you can’t even buy beer yet."

Dear Girls is about the messy parts of life, but ends up being a bit of a mess itself. Despite the rough bits, though, it's an enjoyable read. Once you get past the shaky opening chapters, stand-up and TV writer Ali Wong is as frank, hilarious, and graphic as you'd expect. My full review goes intochapter.
Bradley
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-shelf, humor
If any of you have enjoyed Ali Wong's stand-up, I'm sure you'll also enjoy this book. Brutal honesty, expose-all humor, and some heart mixed in with all the entrapment stuff that women are into. :)

Of course, there's always a twist.

This book is set up as a series of letters to her young daughters, but its kinda a gimmick. One that works, fortunately, by giving us a familiar outlet for her comedy. Some of the sets translate the same way from Baby Cobra or Hard Knock Wife and there's n
Chihoe Ho
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dear Ali Wong,

I want to be your best friend.

You made me laugh so hard and cry unexpectedly, separately and also simultaneously (and here is where I should insert the cry-laugh emoji). And you know why I felt what I felt? Because your voice really pierced through the pages. It was like watching you on stage in one of your Netflix stand-up specials, and sometimes even like you were addressing me personally. The content was similar to some of the themes of your specials but
Tina
This was a f'ing delight. This goes on the very short list of books that actually made me LOL. Be forewarned, it's super dirty but I found it to be refreshing and hilarious. This is a collection of essays she wrote for her daughters- to be read only when they turn 21 😂 This was a short and very enjoyable read with equal parts comedy and depth. Also- reading it made me so hungry. Lots of food talk. I’ve been a fan of Ali Wong and this book made me love her more! This book was gifted to me by Rand ...more
Faye*
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dear Ali Wong, it's not you, it's me. I saw an interview with you and thought you were funny. It turns out that your humour is not my humour.

I'm really not picky when it comes to celebrity memoirs but this one was not for me.
T
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
(I got my hot little hands on an ARC from secret sources.) I really liked the book except for the last chapter from the author's husband, which ended up making me like the whole book less.

First, the chapter was insipidly self-congratulatory and he is boring so I do not care what he has to say. Congratulations on being okay with being rich?

Second, the rest of the book is so funny and vulgar - a lot like Ali Wong's standup - and suffused with so much love for the titular gi
Nursebookie
I had always been a huge fan of Ali Wong, enjoying her Netflix Stand up specials, Baby Cobra while she was 8 months pregnant, and her recent Always Be My Maybe. In this book, each chapter is a letter dedicated to her girls Mari and Nikki, detailing her most intimate feelings and advice to her daughters regarding dating and sex life, going through the stand-up circuit through the comedy clubs and late night shows, and as an Asian American woman in a male dominated industry. She talks about how sh ...more
Wendy
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a series of letters to her daughters, comedian Ali Wong shares stories from her childhood and lessons on life, love, marriage and her rise to fame. If you have seen her Netflix specials, you know she has a crude sense of humor and this memoir is like a Netflix special in book form. There are some serious moments but in true Ali Wong fashion, she tells the truth but she makes it funny AF. I definitely read this with a smile on my face and struggled not to laugh out loud while commuting. I am n ...more
Elle Rudy
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Ugh Ali Wong is such a palate cleanser, especially after all of these whiny-ass ‘comedians’ have been moaning about how they’re, like, not allowed to be funny anymore!! Won’t someone think of the white men?!???!!!!!?,?! In the words of SNL’s least-employed former cast member, “Ali Wong is making it so Asian chicks are funnier than white chicks.” Good on him, taking a break from calling Asian people c****s to compliment her in a way that insults other women.

But I agree with that conservative diversity hi
Amanda Lawford
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent-favorites
Ali Wong’s book is like her stand up comedy: outrageous, crude, and hilarious. It is also feminist, honest, and culturally enlightening.

I listened to the audio version which Ali narrates herself and its perfection. You really need to hear her speak her own jokes for them to land as intended.

This book is full of jokes. There is also real stuff too but I found this to be more joke heavy compared to other books written by comedians. I liked all the humour. Had me laughing out loud. I had a good t
Jamay Lau
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You have to listen to this as an audiobook. It's Ali Wong. But I loved it so much I bought the hardcover too.
Lauren Danton
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's like reading one of her stand up specials. You can hear her expressions and tone of voice while reading. A lot funny, with plenty of wisdom, and heart warming moments thrown in the mix. I also especially loved the afterward from her husband. Ali has truly had an incredible life, I can't wait to read more about it.
Michelle
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pub date: Oct 2019
After seeing Ali Wong's comedy specials, I knew this book would be funny and raunchy. What I didn't know is how personal it would be. She makes you laugh even when talking about the painful things that happened in her life. Her advice to her daughters is real and honest, and the way she grew up with the unvarnished truth is fascinating to me, since it's the opposite of the way I did. This is a great memoir and it's going to be a huge hit!
Lisa Leone-campbell
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Comedian Ali Wong has been a hilarious stand-up comedian, a writer for Fresh Off The Boat, as well as an actress. Now she can add writing a hysterical memoir to her list of accomplishments.

Dear Girls is an incredibly funny, heartfelt, sometimes raunchy, love letter to her two daughters, both of whom make appearances in Wong's two Netflix specials (she is pregnant in each special), the first Baby Cobra (with daughter Mari) and Hard Knock Wife (with daughter Nikki). Each chapter starts
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
”Asian cultures often teach us to be silent about our sexuality and filled with shame. Your mother breaks that up and transmutes pain and shame into power, like a mystical priestess.” — Justin Hakuta, Ali Wong’s husband & biggest fan, describing Ali to their daughters in the Afterword.
First of all, I want to give much thanks to Ali Wong & Random House, I won an uncorrected proof copy of “Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life” thro
Patty Smith
Many thanks to NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group, and Ali Wong for an ARC in exchange for an honest book review of Dear Girls. My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

Stand up comedian, actress, and writer, Ali Wong can now add author to her list of accomplishments. You might recognize her from her Netflix specials Baby Cobra or Hard Knock Wife. Or maybe you’ve seen her Netflix movie “Always Be My Maybe”. The movie where the
Michael
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I received an arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I'm always wary of books written by stand-up comics, as I would say 90 to 95% of the ones I've read since the 90s have been dreadfully boring. Most struggle to bring out the same voice and humor as they do on stage.

I have to say I am surprised at how well Ali Wong does this in the book. She brings the same unfiltered humor here almost perfectly. Don't expect her stand-up routine pacing for the book (which is the trap many fall
Taryn Pierson
I suspect this book would be a huge hit with parents of small children. For me, it was just okay. Also, since I didn't see any reviews mention this, TW for miscarriage and pregnancy complications.
Lauren
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book of letters to Ali Wong’s two daughters Mari and Nikki is amazing, hilarious, and insightful. I thoroughly enjoyed every one of these letters, which were (just like Ali’s standup), sometimes crass and always funny. You will giggle uncontrollably reading about her awesome life anecdotes. Despite who she seems like on stage, Ali is incredibly wise, strong, independent, and thoughtful. She reflects on her standup career, her culture, the struggles and joys of motherhood, why she loves and ...more
Susie Dumond
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This hilarious, honest, and charming essay collection by comedian Ali Wong takes the form of letters to her daughters, who she warns against reading it until at least the age of twenty one. I adore Ali Wong, and this book perfectly captures her sense of humor and ability to make light of the heaviest parts of life. Stories of her wild youth had me crying with laughter, and tender passages about her husband and daughters made me just straight up cry. Comedian, actress, screenwriter, producer, and ...more
Mel
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was exactly the riot I was expecting and hoping for! And, though I am typically a huge proponent of hard copies of books, if you're already a fan of Ali Wong and her standup, I believe you'd be crazy to pass up on the opportunity to listen to her raunchy narration here. I forgot just how dirty some of her bits were, but it's refreshing, really to see a woman let loose and show such freedom and confidence in her past and present.

The entirety is formatted like a series of letters to her two
Kate R
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
*4.5 stars*
I have to be honest comedian books are usually a hit or a miss and lately, there have been a lot of misses. I can happily say Dear Girls is a big hit! Ali Wong is a great writer and her voice shined through the book. Dear Girls is a series of letters to her daughters. I would like to pickup the Audible version as well, because actually hearing her deliver it would be even better. Yes, it was raunchy and inappropriate quite often, but also absolutely hilarious! To my surprise, th
Semifinal Round

• Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Say Say Say
  • Dig
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
Alexandra "Ali" Wong is an American actress, stand-up comedian, and writer. She is noted for her Netflix stand-up specials Baby Cobra and Hard Knock Wife, as well as her television appearances in American Housewife, Are You There, Chelsea?, Inside Amy Schumer, and Black Box.
“I fantasized about having a mother who was also raised on Sesame Street, Happy Meals, and John Hughes movies. Maybe she could ask me white mom questions like “How are you feeling?” or say white mom things like “I love you to the moon and back.” We would share the same first language. She could help me pick out a dress that I actually liked, instead of the dress that was most discounted. We would understand each other and not fight as much.” 3 likes