Start by marking “Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, & Advice for Living Your Best Life” as Want to Read:
Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, & Advice for Living Your Best Life

Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, & Advice for Living Your Best Life

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  50,249 ratings  ·  5,254 reviews
Ali Wong's heartfelt and hilarious letters to her daughters (the two she put to work while they were still in utero), covering everything they need to know in life, like the unpleasant details of dating, how to be a working mom in a male-dominated profession, and how she trapped their dad.

In her hit Netflix comedy special Baby Cobra, an eight-month pregnant Ali Wong resona
Published October 15th 2019 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Dear Girls, please sign up.
Sara As long as you use your lady talk decoder device, you should be able to understand.
Rachael Unless you are ready to have a conversation about eating a**, I would say no. Also, there are some other great YA female empowerment books out there. …moreUnless you are ready to have a conversation about eating a**, I would say no. Also, there are some other great YA female empowerment books out there. If you want something by a female comic, I'd try Bossypants or a Mindy Kaling. (less)

·  50,249 ratings  ·  5,254 reviews

Start your review of Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, & Advice for Living Your Best Life
Emily May
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emily May by: Mimi
I've felt an increasing amount of jealousy and resentment from certain white male comics... I hear that line a lot: 'Me, I'm just another white guy.' Here's a solution: Try being a funnier white guy.

I had such a fun time reading this book!

Dear Girls was given to me as a gift and, at first, I wasn't sure how much it was really my thing, or even if I was going to read it. I like Ali Wong's stand-up just fine, but I don't read many books by comedians (just Born a Crime, which you definitely sh
Cindy
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I enjoyed listening to Ali Wong narrate her audiobook - it made me want to rewatch her standup again. She’s a rad person and I’m glad there’s more visibility for raunchy Asian women with a potty sense of humor. I appreciated her points about motherhood, culture, and going outside of your comfort zone in order to grow as a person. If she had explored these themes in a deeper way, I would have rated the book higher.
Miranda Reads
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Miranda by: Mimi
Shelves: hardcover
description
Right off the bat - a quick PSA to Mari and Nikki (the "girls" that Ali refers to in the story) - your mother was right.

Do not (ABSOLUTELY DO NOT) read this book before you're 21. In fact, deeply consider reading it at all.

There are things that are objectively hilarious (abso-freaking-lutely hilarious) but horrifying (stunningly so) when you learn it's your own mother in the center of the story.

*ahem* onto the review!
That day, my co-workers found out my secret: I'm a fucking id
Jeffrey Keeten
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Mimi
”I often think about what it would be like for my grandfather to see me now. What would he think about me saying all of the disgusting things I say onstage? How he would feel about his granddaughter talking about what she lusts after? How I obsess over the most trivial problems. How I make a living by talking about what I want. How people pay to see his granddaughter just talk. He’d probably think I was some sort of magician with ancient powers, derived from behaving very well in a past life. Or ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Mimi
CONGRATULATIONS-Goodreads Choice Awards Humor Winner!

This was such a reprieve from what turned out to be a heavy month. I can't remember the last time I've laughed so hard, and my only gripe is that I wish there was more! Seriously, I could listen to Ali Wong and her personal brand of female humor all day every day. This was excellent as an audio book read by Wong! Highly recommended.
Debra
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 Stars

Dear Girls is a book made up of Ali Wong writing letters (chapters) to her young daughters. The letters are hilarious, cautionary candid tales telling of Ali's life experiences from childhood through adulthood and cumulating into her becoming a mother. She is frank, candid, vulgar and hilariously real about all aspects of her life. She is not afraid to take risks and encourages her daughters to do so but to also learn from the mistakes their mother has made.

Her book reads like her stan
Elyse  Walters
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ali Wong makes me laugh....
...she is not only hilariously funny...but underneath her raunchy humor, she’s a down-to-earth sweetie-pie luv-bug!

“Dear Girls” is her memoir - -non-fiction book for her fans - ( I’m one of them), and anyone curious about her.
It’s written as a letter to her two young little girls....
with instructions: NOT TO
BE READ UNTIL AGE 21!

I loved this book... I loved reading about Ali.....
*everything Ali*!!!

We learn about Ali’s upbringing- and her personal life.... with love
Cristina Monica
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is just not my kind of funny.
Katie
If you want to enjoy this book, don't read the last chapter.

"First, do not read this book until you are over twenty-one. You should not be allowed to know these inappropriate things about me if you can’t even buy beer yet."

Dear Girls is about the messy parts of life, but ends up being a bit of a mess itself. Despite the rough bits, though, it's an enjoyable read. Once you get past the shaky opening chapters, stand-up and TV writer Ali Wong is as frank, hilarious, and graphic as you'd expect.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Let me tell you, it is such a relief to have a funny, well-written book from a comedian that I admire. Man, I've been burned so many times before with mediocre books from comedians, I barely dared to hope with this one. But Ali Wong really delivered.

If you are a fan of Ali Wong, you will like this book. I pinky-swear promise. The beginning of the book is pure Ali Wong humor, and if you think think that means vagina and pubic hair jokes, you would be 100% CORRECT.

Ali Wong is purely who she is,
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is brave! This hilarious! I haven’t laughed so much since I’ve seen my husband wear tights and thinks he’s hottie in his Robin Hood costume for Halloween. (Of course the entire people who were passing through Hollywood Boulevard agreed with me with their howling laughs. Case closed!)

I’m a big fan of this evil genius and needs her own thrown at Comedy Kingdom. She is smart. She is relentless. She is ugly honest. She is so confident. She is shining when she takes her place at the stage.
Mimi
I truly feared this book would be fluff. Instead it is fearless and real.

Ali Wong says how we all feel: I'm not fine. Yet in her resilience and grit she is able to turn childhood resentment, male rejection, discrimination, getting boo'd offstage, the fear of a prenup, and a bushy pussy into the best things that could have happened to her.

I laughed out loud as I imagined Ali's exaggerated comedy voice confessing life moments like this one when she was pregnant:

After a while, I couldn't see my
Faye*
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dear Ali Wong, it's not you, it's me. I saw an interview with you and thought you were funny. It turns out that your humour is not my humour.

I'm really not picky when it comes to celebrity memoirs but this one was not for me.
exploraDora
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
***5 stars***

I’ve been a fan of Ali Wong ever since my brother and sister-in-law introduced me to her first Netflix special. That's why I had to read her book as soon as I found out about it and let me tell you it is amazing! It's personal, hilarious, brutally honest and also beautifully written.

I laughed out loud so many times, but by the end of it I also kind of felt enlightened. I especially loved her views and comments on motherhood (fiiiiiiinally someone who dosen't gloss over how hard it a
Blaine
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy Ali Wong’s stand up specials, you’ll probably enjoy this collection of essays. Unlike Tina Fey’s Bossypants or Mindy Kaling’s books, this book does not spend much time on Ms. Wong’s professional success; the story there is pretty much work really hard and persevere though the failures. Instead, Ms. Wong focuses much more on her personal and family history, which was both unusual and interesting. Throughout, she dispenses life advice to her daughters, advice which is easily applicab ...more
Krista Regester
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Some parts: GREAT
Other parts: What?
Most parts: Meh.
Bradley
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, 2019-shelf
If any of you have enjoyed Ali Wong's stand-up, I'm sure you'll also enjoy this book. Brutal honesty, expose-all humor, and some heart mixed in with all the entrapment stuff that women are into. :)

Of course, there's always a twist.

This book is set up as a series of letters to her young daughters, but its kinda a gimmick. One that works, fortunately, by giving us a familiar outlet for her comedy. Some of the sets translate the same way from Baby Cobra or Hard Knock Wife and there's new material
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Was laughing out loud in my car listening to this on my commute. If you like Ali's stand up comedy specials, this is the book for you!
Bianca
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've come to appreciate and enjoy/love stand comedy and comedy in general, and admit to it, relatively recently (last 15 years+). It's not that I didn't enjoy comedy when I was younger - I grew up watching Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, Norman Wisdom and a few others, but I never intentionally sought it. As you can tell from my list, all those comedians are men. I never got to watch Lucille Ball or any of the other female comedians.

These days, I make it a priority to watch fem
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

|"If you can’t handle me when I show you my gaping butthole, you don’t deserve the rest of me."

Opening Act: Eating mango sliced by a dude named Noah
Main Lesson: The TV is taking care of the baby, okay?
Plot Jokey-ness: Do-do and rat placentas

Disclaimer: I love Ali Wong. Like a deep, spiritual love based on unabashed honesty, IDGAF attitude and vagina jokes.

But you don’t need to love Ali Wong the way I do to read and enjoy this book of raw, personal and unflinching essays th
Kacey
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, nonfiction
I really hope Ali Wong's daughters never actually read this, or they're going to be horrified.
T
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
(I got my hot little hands on an ARC from secret sources.) I really liked the book except for the last chapter from the author's husband, which ended up making me like the whole book less.

First, the chapter was insipidly self-congratulatory and he is boring so I do not care what he has to say. Congratulations on being okay with being rich?

Second, the rest of the book is so funny and vulgar - a lot like Ali Wong's standup - and suffused with so much love for the titular girls. There are so many e
Jeanne
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OMG TMI DNF
As a fan of Ali Wong's comedy, I was looking forward to this audiobook. I was expecting something akin to a comedy performance. I was wrong. I found this book disgusting.
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

In a series of letters to her two daughters (who she says cannot read the book until they're at least twenty-one), stand up comic Ali Wong provides unfiltered advice on topics like motherhood, sex, and marriage.  She shares stories from her childhood, her early days in standup, her dating life, and how she met her husband.

While it's a hilariously raunchy memoir for readers, I love that it's basically a cautionary tale for her daughters full of experiences she hopes they will learn from
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Listen to this on audio because it’s so good. This book is great, gross, and generally gassy. Like Ali Wong has no filter. You get to her all about intimate details of her life and all the information she wants to pass onto her daughters. I was laughing at some parts and like oh my god too much information at others. Still, it’s really relatable when she talks about how gross being a parent is and like how you can use a c section as a way to get out of things. Haha. But seriously you just end up ...more
Jess | thegreeneyedreader
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I laughed a lot, I cringed some, and teared up a bit during the afterward written by the author’s husband. Definitely recommend!
Chihoe Ho
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dear Ali Wong,

I want to be your best friend.

You made me laugh so hard and cry unexpectedly, separately and also simultaneously (and here is where I should insert the cry-laugh emoji). And you know why I felt what I felt? Because your voice really pierced through the pages. It was like watching you on stage in one of your Netflix stand-up specials, and sometimes even like you were addressing me personally. The content was similar to some of the themes of your specials but you poured your thoughts
Meags
4 Stars

Ali Wong is a force to be reckoned with. Her comedy is bawdy and no holds barred, often bordering on offensive when she’s at her filthiest, but she’s also so god damn genuine and unpretentious, completely unrepentant in the brutally honest way she talks about her relationships, sex, and the way she experiences the world around her.

This memoir is delivered in a series of letters, written to her two little girls, offering personal stories and sharing her own unique advice and wisdom on topi
Elizabeth Bowyer
Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Boring. I keep reading these memoirs of female comedians I love hoping for comedic stories or details about their stand ups/TV shows and am instead reading about boring stories from their day to day lives. I don't glorify celebrities and I'm guessing that is the only way you could be interested in these books. If you think they are greater than God than I guess their trip to the grocery store is interesting?
Obsidian
Not too much to say except I really loved this collection of essays by Ali Wong. I got to know a little bit more about her, her family, her husband, and how she started off in comedy. She manages to infuse her essays to her daughters with love, laughter, and sometimes tears. I did love how this collection ended with a letter from her husband to their daughters too. The family seems very tight-knit, slightly manic at times, but ready to pull a knife on you if you screw with one of their own.

I hav

• The Vanishing Half
  • Little Weirds
  • Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • A Very Punchable Face
Alexandra "Ali" Dawn Wong is an American actress, stand-up comedian, and writer. She is noted for her Netflix stand-up specials Baby Cobra and Hard Knock Wife, as well as her television appearances in American Housewife, Are You There, Chelsea?, Inside Amy Schumer, and Black Box.

Articles featuring this book

Famous people! Are they really just like us? In the case of these individuals, the answer is a resounding yes when it comes to loving...
“The answers to making it, to me, are a lot more universal than anyone's race or gender, and center on having a tolerance for delayed gratification, a passion for the craft, and a willingness to fail.” 25 likes
“My mom was never the type to write me long letters or birthday cards. We never got mani-pedis together, she never gave me a locket with our picture in it. She wouldn't tell me I looked beautiful, or soothe me when a boy broke my heart. But she was there. She kept me safe. She did her best to make me tough. She fed me the most delicious home-cooked meals. For lunch, she'd pack me rare sliced steak over white rice and steamed broccoli. She sent me to private school from kindergarten through twelfth grade. She is still there for me. She will always be there for me, as long as she's able. That's a great mom.” 19 likes