Start by marking “Briefe an Obama” as Want to Read:
Briefe an Obama

Briefe an Obama

Was tut ein US-Präsident, wenn er wissen will, wie es um sein Land steht? Er liest. Während seiner Amtszeit gingen täglich Zehntausende Briefe im Oval Office ein. Jeden Abend las Barack Obama zehn ausgewählte Schreiben, einige beantwortete er persönlich. Zu Wort kommen Obama-Anhänger ebenso wie politische Gegner, vom Schulkind bis zum Kriegsveteranen. Was sie bewegt: die F ...more
Published March 26th 2019 (first published September 18th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Briefe an Obama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Briefe an Obama

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Thank you Penguin Random House for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Every nation needs a leader who is genuine, compassionate and respectful like former president, Mr. Barrack Obama. This book contains selected letters from each citizens addressed to Mr. Obama during his term as President. Expressing their unfiltered emotions about the government and their everyday struggles. Empathizing with his fellow countrymen speaks a lot about his character.

I have so much respect for Mr.
Stacee
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I loved the idea of this story and it didn’t disappoint. This book gives a behind the scenes on the people who helped with all of the letter writing, as well as Obama’s actual handwritten responses.

The backstories were just as captivating as the actual letters and I especially appreciated the up to date snippets of each of the people who submitted letters that were shared in the book.

Heartbreaking and hopeful, this book made me feel all the things.
Sonia
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is this a book about the 10 letters (anger, hope, love, and joy, as promised) President Obama responded to each day, it's an in depth look into the lives of White House staff and the sense of community they felt in the mail room. It is very well written, and includes powerful letters and responses.

I received a letter from the President in January 2017. I keep it framed, and I keep a copy at my desk at work. And when I read it, I hear it in the voice of a kind, empathetic leader who ins
Eeva
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a huge problem with rating this book.

On one hand, the letters and Obama's responses made me very emotional and made me tear up more times than I care to admit..

On the other hand though, Jeanne Marie Laskas can't write for shit.
Her chapters that were written to give us a closer look at Office of Presidential Correspondence, the White House employees, people that wrote letters, people who responded to letter, and last but not least, President Obama, were written so horribly bad that it made
Cortney (cortingbooks)
If you wrote a letter to the President of the United States what would it be about?

Immigration...the abuse you suffered at the hands of your foster parents ...being elected Student Council President...what it feels like to lose everything you’ve worked so hard for...civil rights...bullies punching you in the face...overcoming an addiction...when your girlfriend died because she couldn’t afford to go to the doctor...what it felt like to finally be able to legally marry the love of your life...to
Shelley
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh. This book. This book is a masterpiece. This is not a book on politics; this is not even a book about President Obama. This is a book about real Americans, with real stories, who out of desperation just want to be heard.

I found it so interesting to hear about the inter-workings of the mail rooms at the White House, and honestly had no idea I could even write to the President in today’s time.

Mostly, I loved the letters. And the responses so beautifully written by the President. They
Donald Powell
Thank you Tara Taunt for gifting me this book for Christmas! This is a fascinating piece of history, government, Obama biography and study of the humanity. Many of the letters are very difficult to read. The business of receiving, filtering for reply and selecting for the President and for the responses was a fascinating insight to governance that cares, governance that was a diligent effort to govern with fairness, an open approach, and intelligence. Barack Obama will go down as one of our grea ...more
Devin
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To say I needed this book right now is an understatement. It’s one of those books I wish everyone would read. A strong 5 out of 5 stars.

I am thankful to Jeanne Marie Lasksas for writing the book, to the people who comprised Obama’s OPC (Office of Presidential Correspondence) and to President Obama for being the type of man who wants to read 10LADs (10 letters a day) from his constituents and who will respond, sometimes in his own handwriting. I am also grateful there were other people in the Wh
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The absolute best book I’ve read in a long time. I laughed, I sobbed, I learned so much about America—her citizens, their stories and what inspires it compels a person to write to the president. I learned a lot about Mr Obama, and how the mail he received directly impacted policies. I learned about the unsung heroes who read thousands of letters every day, sitting in the midst of painful stories, replying and giving people the knowledge that someone was listening. This book was incredible and on ...more
Kolumbina
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!!!! What a great book! Absolutely loved every single letter, every single Obama's answering letter and of course a group of people who were reading and sorting out the mail!
Obama was a very special man and a very special president!!!
Outstanding, interesting, open and honest!
What a beauty!
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's so hard to believe that we went from this amazing man as President to what we have now. This book contained letters written to President Obama and his replies. So good, uplifting, and now sad that he is no longer in office.
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An ARC was provided via Bloomsbury India in exchanage for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

I rarely read non fiction books – but when Bloomsbury introduced this book about Letters written to Mr. Barack Obama during his two terms of Presidency.

Spanning a decade, it was eye opening and definitely nostalgic to see Public’s reaction to a President they didn’t expect
Rebecca
President Obama read a representative selection of 10 letters per day (out of the perhaps 40,000 received at the White House daily) and answered many of them by hand. Ordinary Americans shared their struggles with him: veterans, people with disabilities or diseases that limited their ability to work, college kids trying to pay their own way. Some told heartwarming stories of accomplishment against the odds; others admitted their desperation and made pleas for help; plenty expressed frustration w ...more
b
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books, history
I bought this book for a friend’s birthday and recently borrowed it from the library to read it myself. The letters & the last chapter with Obama are the most interesting, compelling parts of the books. I was moved throughout by how tough people’s circumstances were/are and kept wondering what compelled them to write to the President of all people. You can feel the desperation of the financial and housing crisis in many letters in a way that really makes you stop and think.

This book just mad
Brittany
This took me a little longer than I expected to finish, but it was so well done. I learned a ton and I find myself appreciating Obama more and more after learning more about him. This book is going to stick with me and it emphasized (to me) the importance of letter writing, empathy, the importance of acknowledging differing opinions and the list goes on.
Polly
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reveals just how much Obama wanted to stay connected with ALL Americans while he was in office. And how his empathy was both a blessing and a curse as he tried to govern during such challenging circumstances.
Donna Bijas
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. “Delaney, Carrigan and Bree on boys saying that girls can’t do what boys can do.” Obama wrote to them and said “let them know that their President said they better start recognizing that girls change the world every day.” This book is amazing, uplifting, upsetting, funny, sad but mostly thoughtful by a President trying to remain in touch with the people he represented. Angry letters, silly letters, people desperate for help, his office of presidential correspondence gave him a wide ar ...more
Steve Bomgaars
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical book on the Obama administration! Laskas focuses on the correspondence that came into the White House during the Obama presidency - the office and people who handled the mail and email - the back stories of some of the people who felt compelled to write to the POTUS about their fears, travails, successes, frustrations etc. But, what makes this so interesting is that President Obama tasked the office with the job of selecting 10 pieces of correspondence daily that he woul ...more
Abby Johnson
Just so good if you miss Obama. His mail room was unique as they developed a system to catalog and reply to letters, selecting 10 letters a day for President Obama to read personally. Fascinating to read samples of the letters and learn about how they helped Obama’s administration keep in touch with the public they were serving.
Mrs. Europaea
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed this. America- we NEED THIS.

To Obama is a series of letters that Laskas picked to represent the social and political challenges Obama dealt with during his eight year term as POTUS. The letters come from a diverse representation of constitutes and range in tone from love, anger, grief, etc., for readers to really understand the depth and scope of issues that Obama handled with compassion, dignity, and intellect as sitting President.

Laskas has a soft, yet analytical tone in her narrative
Melanie Stancampiano
This book made me realize just how much I miss a measured, thoughtful, well spoken leader who governed for all and wanted to hear from those who supported and were very critical of his work. I spent a lot of time considering if I would feel the same if this book was about an elected official with different political leanings than I have, and the answer is yes. I would be endeared to anyone who gave this much effort to knowing their constituency and their individual stories. It highlights the way ...more
Vanessa
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Since childhood I have felt that the U.S. Mail was sort of magical...you can send a tangible thing, a little message, a handwritten part of yourself and somehow, it arrives across the country or down the street, at the specific spot you intended, at your direction, and for such a relatively small price. This book confirmed and expanded my belief in the magic power of mail. The Office of Presidential Correspondence during the presidency of Barack Obama was staffed with kind, thoughtful, and intel ...more
Lisa
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Did you know that President Obama requested to read 10 letters a day while in office? Imagine how many letters he received, and the amount of thought and effort that went into taking care of them all. Whittling them down and then picking the final 10 each day seems to me a Herculean task. In this book, Laskas goes behind the scenes of this impressive operation. She also shares samples of letters that were sent, along with Obama's responses.

Needless to say, this presidential tradition was elevat
Kathy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During his administration President Obama received thousands of emails and letters daily. His office of correspondence was charged with methodically sorting through this mountain of correspondence and selecting ten letters for him to read each evening. He responded to many of them. The book is interesting and inspiring.
I read it while also listening to Becoming via Audible, and enjoyed a happy respite from our current state of affairs.
Mike McAdam
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine highly recommended this book so I decided to read it and I am glad I did. It was very educational - I had no idea about what is done about the letters the president receives - and very entertaining. The letters run the gamut from hate to love to concern on a specific issue. I already had major respect for President Obama and this book strengthened and added to that. I recommend this book to everyone!
Melissa
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeanne Marie Laskas has written a history book that does something rare—it tells more than one side of the story.

It obviously has some politics and some things that lean to the left, but I genuinely believe that this book is for everyone. It’s the stories of Americans, the histories of individuals, and how one administration went above and beyond those before to make their citizens feel heard.

It will make you cry. It will break your heart. It will make you feel warmth. It was aptly named and wi
Heleen Osse
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verrassend mooi boek! Ontroerende en diverse verhalen die je meenemen naar de wereld van zo veel "gewone" Amerikanen. Van 6-jarige tot hoogbejaarden, iedereen schrijft aan Obama. Obama reageert zelf en zegt met weinig woorden toch erg veel. Het boek bevat een goede afwisseling van de geschreven brieven en de achterliggende verhalen. Aan te raden!
Ellen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loooved this book! Really is full of love, joy, anger and hope. Can't say enough good things. What an incredible look at America during the Obama years.
Peter T
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a book like this. A great story of Barack Obama, those who wrote to him, and those that thoughtfully dealt with the thousands of letters each day. So many stories in the one book. A book providing insight into the history we are living.
Sparkles and her books
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
„Bei solchen Gelegenheiten wird man wieder daran erinnert, dass dieses Amt etwas Besonderes ist und dass eine Antwort den Menschen das Gefühl vermittelt, ihr Leben, ihre Sorgen sind wichtig. Und das kann in kleinem, manchmal aber auch im entscheidenden Maß verändern, wie sie selbst ihr Leben betrachten.“ (Obama in Briefe an Obama)

Worum geht’s?

„10 letters a day“ – das hat Barack Obama entschieden, als er ins Amt des amerikanischen Präsidenten trat. Jeden Tag möchte er 10 Briefe der Bürger vorgele

• Practicing Peace
  • East of Croydon: Blunderings through India and South East Asia
  • Lights and Sirens
  • Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories
  • The Cartoon Introduction to Statistics
  • West Wingers: Stories from the Dream Chasers, Change Makers, and Hope Creators Inside the Obama White House
  • Waging War: The Clash Between Presidents and Congress, 1776 to ISIS
  • Our Bodies, Our Shelves: A Collection of Library Humor
  • Brexit: What the Hell Happens Now?
  • The Mother Letters: Sharing the Laughter, Joy, Struggles, and Hope
  • Rutherford B., Who Was He?: Poems About Our Presidents
  • An Unexplained Death: The True Story of a Body at the Belvedere
  • Super Late Bloomer: My Early Days in Transition
Jeanne Marie Laskas is an American writer and professor.

From 1994 until 2008 she was a regular, syndicated columnist for The Washington Post Magazine, where her "Significant Others" essays appeared weekly. She has written feature stories for GQ, where she is a correspondent. Formerly a Contributing Editor at Esquire, her stories have appeared in numerous anthologies, including Best American Sports
“It says the American people are full of goodness and wisdom, and you just have to be paying attention. And sometimes that's hard to do when you're inside this bubble, but this was a little portal through which I could remind myself of that every day. The letters are beautiful, aren't they? -Obama” 2 likes