Start by marking “The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  1,029 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
A fully revised edition of the Dr. Sears guide to breastfeeding, a perennial parents' favorite for nearly two decades.

In recent years there has been a resurgence of interest in breastfeeding. Yet first-time mothers often lack the support and the knowledge they need. Many of the available books fail to address the practical challenges that confront many women (especially wo
Published March 2nd 2000 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Breastfeeding Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breastfeeding Book

Mama
May 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably a great book for a 25 years old personal trainer that has a noneventful home birth and has over supply problems. If you're a 44 year old first time mother with lots of bleeding and an infant in the NICU for several days this book really doesn't have much to offer as to how to increase your milk supply. Just to be clear, if you don't need this book it has lots to offer.
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't find this book to be very useful, and at one point it was actively harmful. As some background, I read the early chapters before having my baby. That didn't do me any good, but that was because it was difficult to really wrap my head around all the things to consider before I had my 'breastfeeding partner' there. I then read parts of the book again after giving birth, and referenced sections as issues came up for a little while.

As for the breastfeeding advice, some of it is fine, but it
Robin Miller
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I found this book very helpful but my complaint is similar to other books about breastfeeding - they don't really offer constructive tips and guidance for working mothers. Dr. Sears and La Leche League both recommned that working mothers try to work part time or bring baby to work. I think it is great if you can make either of these options work but the truth is I do not know any women who have this luxury. Also, what about the women who feel very strongly about balancing their career and mother ...more
Shannon
May 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a good summary of the technical details involved, but somehow it made me feel like I should feel guilty if I didn't want to nurse my child until 4, or I wanted to go back to work after all that school, and I felt that tone wasn't really warranted. But lots of good information & tips.

Addendum: I do keep referring back to it, so I'm upping my original rating. But it's still incredibly crunchy, granola-esque, and I say that as someone who walks around Northern California in Birkenstock
Melissa
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This Book helped me through many nights of wanting to give up on nursing completely. Now, three breastfed babies later, I am a testiment for this book!
Melina
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you plan to breastfeed, do yourself a favor and buy this book.
Lauren Read
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the last bits about toddler nurslings and weaning. Dr Sears is a known supporter of (what USA calls "extended") breastfeeding according to the WHO's recommendations, so I looked to this book for the final chapter -- literally & figuratively -- of nursing. It has good advice, helpful illustrations, and solid writing & organization.
jacky
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-parenting, 2010
I saw this recommended by a few people as the top breastfeeding book. I'm not super impressed by it. I think that there are two reasons for this. One, I'm passed the beginning of breastfeeding at the time I'm reading it. This would probably have been very useful before I started or in the beginning, but at 7 months, I either have already worked my way through the problems discussed or have learned the information presented else where when it comes to most of the chapters. This book only had 20 p ...more
Lily
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm reviewing this book because it was a lifesaver. With my first daughter I had a horrible lactation consultant. All I cared about was my daughter nursing and getting all the colostrum she could. I had a hard time getting her to stay on my nipples. Instead of helping me, the nurses offered me formula, which I refused. The lactation specialist spent little time with me and was clueless. I left the hospital determined, but I was a little scared because Lila had jaundice. My milk had not came in e ...more
Dara
Oct 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage-can
As a new mom, I took this book as "expert" advice. It recommends no bottle feeding - it even says using a bottle will "sabotage" your nursing efforts. So I avoided the bottle like the plague.

But not every baby nurses by the book. I was baffled when my son cried every night for 2 weeks. Despite nursing round the clock, he was never satisfied. I searched this book for answers, finding none. At our 2-week doctor checkup, Baby was half a pound below his birth weight. As a new mom, I didn't have a c
Indah ip
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Buku terbaik dan terlengkap tentang menyusui yang pernah aku baca. Dibuat udah lama, tapi informasinya masih ok sampai sekarang.

Kenapa paling lengkap? Karena hanya di buku ini aku menemukan cukup informasi soal menyusui anak kembar dan soal breastfeeding father(termasuk posisi2 nursing father).

Banyak beredar buku tentang menyusui sampai saat ini, tapi sangat-sangat sedikit yang membahas cukup lengkap tentang bagaimana menyusui anak kembar ;-)

Suami-isteri Sears menuliskan begitu banyak hal dengan
Nicole
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I didn't read this book from cover to cover, just skimmed around and used the index to find help for things I was wondering about. It's a pretty good book and has some helpful ideas. I bought it years ago, with my first child, whom I was having trouble nursing, after reading the author's columns in Baby Talk magazine and finding those helpful. The lacatation consultant I saw was tremendously helpful, more so than this book. However, I think it is a good reference to have on hand and refer to.
Rebecca
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am surprised that I was able to pick up this book and read it cover to cover. I thought I'd just pick and choose a few chapters to read, but it was actually good enough to read the whole way through. I read this in preparation for my first little one to be born. I also took a class on breastfeeding around the same time. I haven't been able to put it into practice yet, but I feel as prepared as possible to breastfeed. It gave me a lot of confidence that anyone can breastfeed if they put their m ...more
Jenna
Aug 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mothers, expectant mothers, breastfeeding mothers
This is a book that all expectant and breastfeeding mothers should have in their library.

Why only four stars if it is a "must have?" It's not the easiest read out there concerning breastfeeding. It took me awhile to get through simply because of the sheer volume of information presented in the book. HOWEVER, because of that sheer volume and the inclusion of absolutely everything that could go right or wrong, mothers need to have this book on hand in case they have a question or problem and no la
Hannah
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This all makes sense now, but is a little abstract without an actual infant to apply the concepts with. Like the entire Dr. Sears series, some of the narrative has to be taken with an entire salt shaker of "yes, it is OK to occasionally detach yourself from your baby" and obviously it's laced throughout with assumptions about gender roles in caretaking, but there's plenty of helpful information to balance that out.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
The introduction and first two chapters were very helpful. After that, it didn't seem worth reading. All that information may help me AFTER I begin breastfeeding, but as an expecting mother, it wasn't necessary. I will say that because of this book, I will most likely be looking into either a lactation consultant or at least talking to my midwife about the hows. I don't want to mess anything up!
Franziska
It seemed like a pretty comprehensive book on everything you might want to know about breast feeding. But beware, this book will definitely suggest that is pretty much just one right thing to do: breast feed. Being a little uncomfortable with the idea of breast feeding, I found this book at times more guilt-tripping and discouraging than helping me feel excited and ready...but then, I don't know if any book could get me excited about this.
Celeste
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to be more educated about breastfeeding
I purchased this book after I had purchased The Baby Book from Dr. Sears. It helped me with my latch on issues and well as suggested other methods for those we working on breastfeeding. I am so confident with this book I loaned it to a friend. She had always found breastfeeding painful but for 2 children going on 3 she was still going to do it. I suggested this book for her because I believe noone should breastfeed in pain. She must have liked it cause I never got it back.

Kim
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: readin2013
Since I read this book while pregnant, what I especially liked in it was the description of what to expect the very first time I put baby to breast -- right after birth, that is. The descriptions of common problems that may come up (and how to deal with them) seemed clear, too. I thought it was a good introduction to breastfeeding, but I'll know just how good of an introduction it was in a few weeks, I suppose!
Erika
Source: Molly Booth
Response: I can’t help but feeling like their “child-centered” method is a little too child-centered. I don’t think I have the personality to live so flexibly. However, it was good for me to hear from that end of the spectrum so that when I get frustrated that Rolland isn’t following the plans I have for him and us, I can relax a little, remembering that there are many very different ways to take care of a baby and they all seem to work in the end.
Leah
Apr 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was good, but is in no way the only breastfeeding book you need. It was decent at explaining the mechanics, but didn't have enough information of what it is really like for me. I preferred "So that's what they're for," and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding."

That being said, it's a good introductory book.
Inder
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, women, health
This is a bit redundant with Sears' The Baby Book, but full of useful information nonetheless. Especially, I appreciated the chapter on breastfeeding for working mothers. The usual Sears bias towards stay-at-home-moms is here, but oddly, this book addresses the concerns of working mothers better than any other I have read thus far.
Kate
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not all babies read "in utero" guides to be the best baby they can be...Therefore, breastfeeding can be quite a challenge. I've had two babies that were eager to eat regardless of how or where they were latched! Thank God for Dr. Sears...there's a lot to know about breastfeeding and so many benefits for both mom and baby!
Lauren
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Lots and lots of information here! It was useful to read cover-to-cover before hand, and I anticipate using it more as a reference book once I'm in the middle of things. I'm not sure that I agree with everything the authors had to say, but it was well worth the read!
Alicia
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is so wonderful. Every time I read about breastfeeding it makes me feel good about my decision to breastfeed. There are so many benefits. I wish every woman could experience how wonderful breastfeeding is.
Melissa
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is a great resource, whether you read it cover to cover, or a chapter here and there. I have breast fed six children now until they were in the 12-15 month range. This is a great book on the subject.
Emily
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was first learning to breastfeed my son. I really liked it. It seemed to answer a lot of the questions that I had at the time. I would recommend it to any new mom looking for more information when breastfeeding their baby.
Alicia
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
This book got me through the first two months after my daughter was born. It helped me learn everything I needed to know about making sure she was well taken care of. Some of the book is unrealistic, but overall, it was very informative and a good guide.
Amy
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me not be terrified to breastfeed-and during my pregnancy, I was. I read this book and felt, not only good about my decision, but confident I could figure it out. This book was a life-saver in a time of panic.
Collyn
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reading the whole Sears family library gets pretty repetitive after a while. It all seems like great advice, though.
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • The Breastfeeding Answer Book
  • Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
  • Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way
  • The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • How Weaning Happens
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • The Birth Partner
  • Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
Dr. Sears, or Dr. Bill as his "little patients" call him, is the father of eight children as well as the author of over 30 books on childcare. Dr. Bill is an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine. Dr. Bill received his pediatric training at Harvard Medical School's Children's Hospital in Boston and The Hospital for Sick Children in T ...more
More about William Sears