Start by marking “19 Love Songs” as Want to Read:
19 Love Songs

19 Love Songs

The New York Times bestselling author of Every Day, Someday, and Two Boys Kissing is back with a short story collection about love--perfect for Valentine's Day or year-round reading!

A resentful member of a high school Quiz Bowl team with an unrequited crush.

A Valentine's Day in the life of Every Day's protagonist "A."

A return to the characters of Two Boys Kissing.

19 Love
Published January 7th 2020 by Penguin Random House

To ask other readers questions about 19 Love Songs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 19 Love Songs

Start your review of 19 Love Songs
Tucker
Jun 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
why aren't more people freaking out about this?
Andrew
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, lgbtq, nonfiction
Every Valentine's Day, Levithan writes a short story to send to his dear friends. I've heard about this for years, and finally, some of those Valentine stories are released and included in this collection! All sorts of love in these nineteen stories are explored; romantic, familial, true friendships... a portion of them being tales from his own life. Each story, whether one I've read before or not, warmed my emotional insides. His signature soft, poetic way of phrasing mood and experiences will ...more
Katsumi
Nov 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Umm, EXCUSE ME, but why did no one tell me David Levithan has a new book coming out ...more
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
1/17/20:

THIS HAS A IN IT.

I FREAKING CHOKED.

I mean, I haven't read Someday yet... I know, I'm just not ready... aagh. I'll do it. I'll have to read Someday before this so I can read this on Valentine's Day.

But... still...

I love Every Day so much.

Really pumped for this.
Wild
Jan 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T KNEW ABOUT THIS BEFORE!!!! WE GET MORE TWO BOYS KISSING STORIES MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE!!
Erin
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books-read
This is such a beautiful book. These stories are lovely, they're charming, they're gentle and loving and good. Every single one of these stories was something heartwrenching in the most wonderful possible way.
Barbara
If you have lost your belief in love and romance, this book will restore your faith that there are happily ever afters. Weaving in original stories, poems, essays, and even a cartoon strip alongside 11 other pieces published previously elsewhere, author David Levithan knows his subject quite well and often seems to be pulling these stories from his own heart and life experience. The collection is arranged just like a mix tape or playlist featuring nineteen different tracks, and the focus lands ...more
Samantharia
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always have a really hard time reviewing Levithans books, which is why, for the most part, I just't don't do it. They just always seem so real and get to me in a very personal way. I couldn't possible express these emotions in the right way. On top of that there are some (really beautifully written) autobiographic stories in "19 Love Songs" as well. They were extremely enjoyable and (at least to me) felt like actually listening to David Levithan and not just reading about his life. But that ...more
Robert Kingett
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Writing a love story every year for friends may seem like a very boring book. But, OMG. The writing. The stories. It’s like having like 20 complete books all in one audiobook. The narrators were great, the writing was great. The stories made me feel all the feels. I just can’t say enough good things about this collection. I was initially worried that some of the stories were going to blend in together, but! Nope! Also, Two Boys Kissing is back in short story form. This made me cry. Just read ...more
Shannon Kitchens
Jan 17, 2020 is currently reading it
1. "Quiz Bowl Antichrist" - 4 stars - Very cute and I loved the line, "Because while the quiz bowlers were mawkish and awkward, the faculty advisors were downright weird, wearing their best suits from 1980 and beaming like they'd finally gone from zeros to heroes in their own massively revised high school years."

2. "Day 2934" - 4 stars - a poignant little story that would probably mean more if I'd ever read Every Day.

3. "The Good Girls" - 3 stars - I really resonate with this what I'm guessing
Nadia King
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
David Levithan has written a collection of short stories about love. Taken from letters he wrote to his friends on Valentines Day, the stories, while dealing with love, also focus on themes of self-acceptance, self-identity and coming-of-age. The stories explore power, sexuality and focus on marginalised groups. Highly recommended for readers who enjoy LGBTQIA+ literature. Thanks to Text Publishing for an advanced copy of this book which is due for release in Australia on 4 February - just in ...more
Steph
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gorgeous collection of some faces and some new faces. Some autobiographical chapters. Some verse. An illustrative chapters. All of it love. I’m all its guises. It all matters. It’s all love. Regardless of who it is between. I love David Levithan and this was just great to read. I laughed and I cried.
Lydia Hephzibah
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up because queer stories (especially own voices queer stories) are so important, and I feel like this will be very impactful for the right readers! I'm not huge on short stories and thought they'd be connected, but there's no link between each one and half are fiction, half are non-fiction, which I wasn't expecting.
Jaclyn Hillis
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-audiobooks
Short stories aren't usually my thing, because I feel like I don't really get to know the characters in a shorter amount of time. David Levithan brings so many characters to life within these stories, and I felt like I really got to know him better because of them.
Great Books
Shelves: favorites
Incredible.
Caroline
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of these are 3-4 star stories, but track 5 and track 19 are 5 gold star MASTERPIECES and I really recommend trying to read them if you have a chance.
ChrisVigilante
Jan 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
No one told me this was happening and I am currently freaking out. I'm so excited. Omg!
Leslie Basney
Some exceptional short stories and some not so much.
Caffeinated Fae
Beautiful. Everything about this book is beautiful.

Full review to come soon(ish).
Kelly
Bill Clegg
Sep 03, 2019
Emma J
Jan 14, 2020
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

• One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • With the Fire on High
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Look Both Ways
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Eighth Girl
  • Eros the Bittersweet
  • We Could Be Heroes
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • What Stars Are Made of
  • See Through Me
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Toil & Trouble