Start by marking “Songs of America” as Want to Read:
Songs of America

Songs of America

A celebration of America and the music that inspired people and illuminated eras, from the Revolutionary War to the present, by Pulitzer Prize winner Jon Meacham and Grammy winner Tim McGraw.

From "The Star Spangled Banner" to "Born in the U.S.A.," Jon Meacham and Tim McGraw take us on a journey through the eras and the music that helped to shape a nation. Meacham writes a
Published June 11th 2019 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Songs of America, please sign up.
Lauren Jean Not that I know of but most of it can be found on Youtube

Nancy
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Oh, I so enjoyed reading this book! From the beginning with the beautiful and inspirational Overture on The History of Music by Jon Meacham, I did not want to stop reading this history of America through music.

Music brings a deep association with the events and places I have experienced. When I hear a song I can place myself in a specific place and point in time. The Green Berets by Barry Sadler came out when I was fourteen. It had pride of country and was an appealing march. I bought a ceramic
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now a days we take music and the meaning for granted. This book was kind of the history of music and some songs that impacted our country all these years later. The authors did an amazing job at doing research and telling the story of some well known songs and how they came about. Some of these songs I grew up singing and can’t ever remember where they came from. Like most some of the stories told in this book we were taught in school and others I don’t ever remember hearing. It gives me a whole ...more
Tammy Buchli
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! I enjoyed reading about the songs, some familiar to me and others not, which made our country. The format of the book was accessible, moving more or less chronologically from the American Revolution to the aftermath of 9/11.
I appreciated the diversity of songs discussed - songs by indigenous peoples, the spirituals sung by enslaved people, anthems sung by suffragists and civil rights activists, patriotic songs and protest songs.
I also enjoyed he sidebars by Tim McGraw, which b
Scott Martin
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Audiobook) This concise and entertaining collaboration pairs a noted historian and one of the top country-western singers in modern America as they attempt to survey the various songs and singers that played their parts in shaping American history, from pre-Revolutionary War days to the present day. Meacham does the bulk of the analysis and descriptions of the book, as the music looks at old church songs, patriotic ditties, slave songs, and popular performance works. McGraw offers his own comme ...more
Bamboozlepig
This was kind of a dud for me. I love music and I always love learning about a song's history, but this fell flat (pun intended). Some songs had tons of info about them, others had just brief mentions. Protest songs of the Vietnam era were largely limited to CCR's "Fortunate Son", despite there being several other anti-war songs from that time. The Kent State shootings were mentioned, but not the "Ohio" song by Crosby, Stills and Nash, at least not that I could see.

Even older patriotic songs wer
Vicki Valenta
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really interesting look at how music has been a part of our national story. It starts with a few songs from the American Revolution and goes through modern time. Jon Meacham does a great job of filling in tome of the stories behind the music from the point of view of a historian. Tim McGraw provides some background for how Americans often put their own lyrics to music from British songs. I'd love to find a playlist for the songs mentioned in the book.
Cristie Underwood
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jon Meacham is a brilliant historian and this book would have come off as silly if anyone else had written it. Mr. Meacham was able to convey the importance of many songs to our great country without it sounding corny or preachy. I am a huge fan of his and enjoy his books along with seeing him on Morning Joe.
Kimball
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SONGS OF AMERICA explores the soul of America through its music. Music does not cause history or a movement but it can show the spirit of America at a moment and can power movements. Jon Meacham and Tim McGraw write what they know best: American history and music. Meacham explain what is happening in America and the history of a song, while McGraw explains the song and it’s impact. The account starts in Revolutionary America, hits on vital points of American protest and patriotism to end with Ob ...more
Jenn
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book.
Jon Meacham and Tim McGraw provide a perspective to “Songs of America” intersecting history . The book explores some well-known and lesser-known songs and how these fall into the American history timeline.
Another great book by Jon Meacham and wonderful surprise by Tim McGraw.
Gary Jablonski
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. I could hear many of the cited songs in my mind as I read the text. I will to reread soon but plan to have my laptop nearby so I can look up and listen to the music I didn’t recognize as I read. The relevance of music to our society is often ignored or taken for granted.
PWRL
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
SM
Kathleen
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audible book is awesome with music accompanying the authors reading.
Drew Denman
Christi
Judy
Mark Patro
May 09, 2019
Jon Meacham is the editor of Newsweek, a Pulitzer Prize winning bestselling author and a commentator on politics, history, and religious faith in America.