Start by marking “How Oakley Lost His Spots” as Want to Read:
How Oakley Lost His Spots

How Oakley Lost His Spots

Oakley is a Dalmatian who doesn't have any spots. Convinced by his friend Rover that he has lost them, he sets off to find his spots, only to find out that Dalmatians aren't born with spots and that they all develop at different times.
A vividly illustrated picture book, this story is perfect for showing children how everyone develops at different rates.
Published December 18th 2013 by Cambridge Town Press (first published May 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about How Oakley Lost His Spots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Oakley Lost His Spots

Start your review of How Oakley Lost His Spots
Michelle Clement
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blair-and-reece
***I received an ARC from LIbraryThing for an honest opinion.***
Me and my five year old daughter enjoyed this book. After first I was concerned when it showed up as 27 pages. I was worried she wouldn't be able to sit still that long. It was an easy read with some pages filled with a picture so it didn't take any time to read. That is one thing I really did like about it. It was a cute story that I even enjoyed. It discussed patience and how when the time is write for something it will come;
Gail Ofterdinger-Ledgister
Poor Oakley thought he lost his spots since his friend, Rover, had his already. Turns out, Oakley had some more time to wait till his spots appeared, they weren't lost. Patience is something we all need to learn. This is a cute children's book. I wonder if anyone will think it odd that Oakley's mother is a human mom, not a dog mom. The illustrations are not complicated, but appear as something a young artist could draw. I would think that would have eye appeal for a youngster. Many thanks to ...more
Sandra Stiles
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
One day Rover asks Oakley where his spots are. Both dogs are dalmatians so Oakley knows he should have spots. He looks all over for them thinking he has lost them. His mother explains when the time is right, he will get his spots, but Oakley doesn’t want to wait. This is a great story about trying to grow up too fast.
Melissa
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

Who wouldn't love learning patience from a Dalmatian?? My 4, 6 and 8 year olds liked it - and it gave me an opportunity to speak with them about patience. Very short, cute book with illustrations the kids love.
Snik
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a Kindle version of this book for free on LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review.

This is a delightful story with cute pictures that teaches how the time for normal things can be different for everyone. A great book to add to a children’s library!
Keisha Taylor
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy Read

My 9 month old son loved it. I look forward to reading the other books by this author. The pictures could use some work and there were a few spelling errors but since I read it to him it only bothered me.
Angie Foote
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Good book

Read this to my seven year old son. He had fun predicting what would Oakley do next. We enjoyed the book.
Emily
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z3-2014-read
I received this ebook in exchange for a fair and honest review.

As Oakley is playing with his friend, Rover, Rover points out that Oakley does not have any spots. Oakley is concerned because every Dalmatian is supposed to have spots, so he begins to search for his spots. When he cannot find them, he asks his human mom about his spots. She assures him that his spots will eventually appear. Oakley desperately wants his spots, so he finds ways to invent spots for himself; all of these spots are not
Hildegart
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
There are some grammatical errors in the book that should have been caught. There were a couple pages were Oakley didn't look much like a dog, but that's personal taste.

Without the errors, I would have given it three stars. If I liked the illustrations better, I would have also bumped up my rating.
Julie Barrett
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How Oakley Lost His Spots (Oakley and Bella Book 1)
Colorful children's book about Oakley and his spots are lost. He looks under the bed, in the fridge, etc.
He can't find them. Paint spots on? what an idea...
One morning he wakes up to find spots?? Other works by the author are highlighted at the end.
Melissa
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick fun read to share with very young children.
A good beginning reader book.
I wish my ereader showed colors.
This cute short story can be used to open discussions about being different
and about learning patience.
Candi Terrill
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute

My grand (4) was sick and we downloaded this. It was very cute and she made me read it again and again. So glad I found Oakley.
Bethany
Cute book, but I wish it could have been a bit longer in explaining not growing up too fast and how you think of yourself versus what others think.
Aaron M. Packnick
Nov 12, 2018
Andrea Anderegg
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
DC Swain is the author of several childrens books, including the popular Down in the Garden, How High Will It Fly? and Freddie Figg series.

He believes in creating stories that keep children engaged, while teaching simple life lessons. He has collaborated with illustrators from around the globe and only publishes stories that get his daughters' seal of approval.

He lives in a state of permanent