Start by marking “Doing Time (The Time Police #1)” as Want to Read:
Doing Time (The Time Police #1)

Doing Time

(The Time Police #1)

Introducing The Time Police, the brand-new series by international bestselling author, Jodi Taylor - an irresistible spinoff from the much-loved Chronicles of St Mary's series. Perfect reading for fans of Doctor Who, Ben Aaronovitch and Jasper Fforde.

At some time in the future, the secret of time-travel became available to all. Chaos ensued as people sought to take advantage. Because there will alwa

Published October 17th 2019 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Doing Time, please sign up.
Jacey I think it's a reasonably good entry point into Jodi taylor's world, but I heartily recommend reading the St Mary's books because they're brilliant.…moreI think it's a reasonably good entry point into Jodi taylor's world, but I heartily recommend reading the St Mary's books because they're brilliant. You will meet characters in these books that are from St Mary's, and Matthew's somewhat cortorted chronology (told in some detail over a number of St Mary's books) is alluded to in here, but I think there's enough (brief) explanation that you certainly wouldn't be totally lost if you read this first.(less)

Start your review of Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
Sara
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Doing Time is a new 'spin off' series from the popular historical science fiction St Mary's novels from Jodi Taylor, and follows new Time Police recruits Jane, Luke and a certain Matthew Farrell.

In the not too distant future, the world has discovered time travel. Countries, people and historical events blink in and out of existence as vigilantes seek to remake history to their own advantage. To comb
Mark
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, in the future, the discovery of time travel became known to all. As a result, chaos reigned, history was written and re-written and the world nearly ended in the Time Wars.

In order to stop this, the Time Police were created. An international organisation with near-unlimited powers to perform their duty, to keep the timelines straight. Time travel is now punishable by death, the sentencing of which by the Time Police is now accepted  without question.

The
K B
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5*

This was amazing, funny and original-I cannot wait for more!

The Time Police is a very original and unique story that follows Jane, Matthew and Luke, three people who join the time police for very different reasons, all of whom are seen as weird and likely to fail. Jane joins after breaking her grandmothers seagull (sorry but you will have to read the book to hear more about this event ;D). She is quiet, nervous and anxious and seems extraordinarily unlikely to be particularly useful. Howev
Bonnie Demoss
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jodi Taylor has done it again. A spinoff of her wonderful St. Mary's Chronicles, Doing Time is the story of Matthew, Jane, and Luke, trainees in the Time Police. Matthew is of course the son of Max and Leon from the St. Mary's Chronicles. There is mystery, laughter, and intrigue all rolled up in one story as the trio become Time Police cadets, and are faced with opposition from the Albayans, the leftover followers of the late Colonel Albay, the former Time Police leader and unapologetic fascist, ...more
S.J. Higbee
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is Taylor’s trademark humour, along with moments of real lump-in-the-throat poignancy – I don’t know anyone else who can swing the mood around from tears to laughter and back again with such conviction. What has been reined in a tad in this first book of a new series, is the anarchic mayhem that regularly breaks out in a St Mary’s book as those historians get an idea they want to test. I found it significant that the only time Taylor cuts loose in the same way, is when one of the character ...more
Claire
A bit of a mishmash. When it's good it's very good but it rambles, can't decide on the tone, picks up and drops threads and only really gets going when St Mary's appear. The author almost has a sigh of relief writing about Max again. I'm sure there is a vicious murder than doesn't really get solved properly, and the glimmerings of a really good mystery in here.

The other thing that got my goat was the needless lack of decent female characters - once again we have a plucky team member who is one
Tina Miles
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a confirmed St. Mary’s DM, I approached the new TP (anyone else notice those initials also stand for toilet paper) book with trepidation and reluctance. How could a book without the usual suspects be any good? Yet, it was. I should’ve had a little more faith in Jodi. Well done. I enjoyed the book. It had humour, pathos, mystery, shenanigans, misunderstandings, bravery and cleverness.

Apparently the TP have their very own DM’s, known as Team Weird. I enjoyed seeing Matthew on his own, without
Alison
Four and a half stars.

If you enjoyed Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series then I'm sure you'll love this new series too.

For centuries the Time Police have brutally stopped any time travel, the last ditch attempt to stop the universe imploding from the meddling in history of corporations, countries and individuals who just want to know Saturday's winning lottery numbers. But now the major threat has gone the Time Police find themselves dinosaurs, the proverbial sle
Rachel Glass
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

As a long time St Mary's fan, I was extremely excited to be approved for the first Time Police spin-off. Although enjoyment of this book is greatly heightened by a more in-depth acquaintance with Max et al, it's not necessary in order to appreciate the story.

Jane, Luke and Matthew are entertaining and unlikely recruits for the Time Police, and their escapades are gripping and amusing. It'
MB (What she read)
A new Jodi Taylor is always a treat. Loved this--pretty much opened it the moment it popped up on my screen and fell into the book and didn't come out until I was done.

As an author, Taylor is a roller-coaster ride of terror interrupted by chortles of glee. There's some pathos in there too. Lovely. A joy.

So glad we get another series spinning off the St. Mary's group. Loved the new and returning characters and can't wait to see where the madness takes them next.
Andy Angel
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A rather excellent return to Jodi Taylor's world.
Kath
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I decided to give the sci-fi genre a whirl having resisted for so long, for pretty much no reason other than I didn't think I'd enjoy it! This is a new author to me so I have never read the Chronicles of St Mary's series of book which, I believe, this book is a spinoff from. That said, I don't feel I have missed anything as the part played by St Mary's is adequately explained herein.
So, the secret of time travel isn't anymore; a secret that is. It's available to all, and
India
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this one, to be honest, hence why it has an on the fence rating.

Some of the things I loved were the dialogue. This book had me chuckling quite a few times. The dialogue was very witty and was very much my sense of humour.

I really enjoyed exploring the different points of history and time we got to visit and our characters' reactions to being in that environment. I did feel like I was there with them which was very good.

I loved exploring th
Nicola Smith
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed several of Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary books so I jumped at the chance of reading Doing Time, a spin-off and the start of a brand new series.

This time the focus is on the Time Police. Whilst the St Mary's books are all about historians jumping back in time to investigate historical events, the Time Police are employed to keep the timeline straight, to ensure that nothing messes up time. We are introduced at the beginning to three brand new recruits: Jane
Lel Budge
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
As a fan of Jodi Taylor’s Chronicles of St Mary’s I’m so excited at this spin off new series by her.

Jane, Luke and Matthew are new recruits at the Time Police…

Jane is quiet but thoughtful and has joined up after smashing her grandmothers seagull.

Luke, arrogant and thoughtless is the son of a very wealthy man and has been forced to join, by his dad, after the Tannhauser incident !

Matthew, well known to St Mary’s due to a family connection, is very,
Ken
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Luke, I am your Father.” 😱

ROFL

Another fine St. Mary’s, well the Time Police, novel. This one follows Matt Farrel, and two new, and exciting characters, Luke and Lockwood. (Sorry it sounds better then Luke and Jane). Hmm, that’s kind of like Singing in the Rain, isn’t it? Lockwood and DuMont, silly....

Doh.

It is a great story, and a wonderful introduction to the a Time Police’s Team Weird. Oh, and our friends from St. Mary’s, the past and future, join in for a time. A time?
Vivienne
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Headline for an eARC via NetGalley of Jodi Taylor’s ‘Doing Time’ in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first in a new series, The Time Police, which is a spin-off of her highly popular Chronicles of St. Mary’s.

“A long time ago in the future, the secret of time travel became known to all. Everyone seized the opportunity - and the world nearly ended. There will always be idiots who want to change history.
And so, the Time Police were formed. An all-powerful, i
Suzie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book for free from NetGalley to provide an unbiased review.

Preamble:

I'm guessing most people who are interested in reading 'Doing Time' are up to date with the Chronicles of St Mary's ' series - I've only read the first 3. I am enjoying them immensely and thought I'd try this spin off... Yes, I'm an idiot! To any in the same position as myself, I would catch up with CoSM and then start this. There are a few 'spoilers ' so bear that in mind.

Revi
Nicole
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-travel, sci-fi
At last! It's here, the latest book from Jodi Taylor. A spin off from her hugely popular Chronicles of St Mary's series it follows the lives of new Time Police most unlikely recruits: Luke Parrish, Jane Lockland and Matthew Farrell. Luke a playboy who is a disappointment to his father and is foisted into the Time Police against his will. Jane a young woman who has been bullied all her life who runs away from home and enlists and Matthew who is known to the Time Police as the person who broke the ...more
Carol
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did read the first few books of the chronicles of St. Mary's and, for the most part, enjoyed them. I actually forget why I didn't continue reading the series, but I think it may have had something to do with too much love story/love triangle stuff, and maybe one or two cliffhangers (which always spell dealth for me). In any case, I really liked this spin off. Seems after time travel was discovered too many people were running off into the future and the timelines were changed back and forth so ...more
Andover Library
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Jodi Taylor book I’ve read an I’ll certainly be reading more.

I loved Doing Time. It was the perfect mix of humour, serious plot, character development and setting.

I laughed out loud, got caught up in the history, willed Luke, Matthew and Jane to become a team and loved being along for the ride.

The characterisation in this novel was one of its strengths, I instantly wanted to cheer Jane on, for Matthew to find his place and for Luke to become
Michael Davis
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one, and I really only expected to like it a lot.

Aside from introducing some great new characters, and making me hate the Time Police a little less (ok, a lot less,) there were exactly the right number of familiar faces and names to make nearly every scene from about halfway onward practically hum with excitement, humor, action, and surprise. Max was, as always, fantastic, and equally invaluable, but becoming reacquainted with her entire team when I hadn’t expected to was
Sue Butler
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for sending me an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Time Police: An organisation who's job it is to keep the timeline straight: Team 236 (Team Weird) 3 recruits who don't quite fit.

This is a spin-off to Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series. I have to say I haven't read any of them and apart from a few references, I didn't feel I was missing anything (I do now want to read that series though!)
Jacey
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a spin-off from Ms Taylor's St Mary's books, featuring Max, Leon, Markham and a whole cast of wacky historians, where the Time Police are often cast in the role of heavy-handed, jack-booted villains. This time we get to see them as individuals as Max and Leon's son, Matthew reaches the age where he can (and does) choose to enrol as a trainee in the TP, along with two friends, Jane and Luke. Like his mother, Matthew tends to have his own ideas about things, which gets him into trouble (of ...more
Jim Melko
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very best so far!

I am a huge fan of the St. Mary’s series, and I have never been disappointed by any of them. On the contrary, I find every book and short story to be engrossing, entertaining, and highly addictive.

So it is a momentous statement from me to declare this to be the best one so far! Jodi Taylor is a master of characterization. The brief return of several St. Mary’s characters at one point in the novel is especially notable because their characters are revived in the reader
Cheryl
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I spent the first 2/3 of the book internally complaining about continuity between this series and the Chronicles of St. Mary's series. Anyone who has read the 10th St. Mary's would know why. I apologize to Jodi Taylor for not having more faith in her. Although they didn't tell us how it was resolved, they did mention the situation. That being said, this book did a lot of ground laying for the remainder of the series. We had nice cameos by our favorites from St. Mary's which I enjoyed. It moved a ...more
Kristen
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing as always

It takes true talent to cause a reader to laugh, cry, growl in frustration, pace, throw a book down and grab it back up again....and only Jodi Taylor can make that happen in one paragraph. Relatable characters, real issues, tongue in cheek moments and a real talent for making history so vivid are Jodi's hallmarks and they are all present here. Readers of her St. Mary's books may have worried that they would find a book about 'the bad guys' to be hard to enjoy, but the new cha
Rachel
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved book one of this new series from Jodi Taylor in a similar universe as St. Mary's but from the Time Police perspective. It is just the right mix of something brand new with cameos from some familiar characters. One of the three young recruits featured in the Time Police is Matthew, the out-of-place son of Dr. Maxwell and Leon from the St. Mary's series. His two comrades also are unique, dynamic and engaging to watch.

The book may have started a bit slow (at least for me) and it took maybe
Annarella
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Chronicles of St Mary and was more than happy when I got this ARC.
It's a great and funny read, full of the usual humour that marks Jody Taylor's book.
It can be read as a stand alone but I think it can be fully appreciated if you read the Chronicles as it gives you a better idea of the world building and Matthew's background.
This novel is a page turner that will make you laugh out load and turn pages as fast as you can.
There's a lot of satire in this book
Berni Phillips
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Taylor's series, The Chronicles of St. Mary's. I was a little disappointed that she was abandoning her madcap historians in favor of the staid and stuffy Time Police, but I should have had more faith in her. The Time Police are no longer staid and stuffy, thanks to a trio of trainees who call themselves Team Weird. Team Weird is Jane, who joined after breaking her oppressive grandmother's seagull, Luke, the spoiled playboy whose father forced him to join, and Matthew, the son of St. Mary' ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -