Start by marking “Doing Time (The Time Police #1)” as Want to Read:
Doing Time (The Time Police #1)

Doing Time

(The Time Police #1)

Introducing The Time Police, the brand-new series by international bestselling author, Jodi Taylor - an irresistible spinoff from the much-loved Chronicles of St Mary's series. Perfect reading for fans of Doctor Who, Ben Aaronovitch and Jasper Fforde.

At some time in the future, the secret of time-travel became available to all. Chaos ensued as people

Published October 17th 2019 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Doing Time, please sign up.
Jacey I think it's a reasonably good entry point into Jodi taylor's world, but I heartily recommend reading the St Mary's books because they're brilliant. Y…moreI think it's a reasonably good entry point into Jodi taylor's world, but I heartily recommend reading the St Mary's books because they're brilliant. You will meet characters in these books that are from St Mary's, and Matthew's somewhat cortorted chronology (told in some detail over a number of St Mary's books) is alluded to in here, but I think there's enough (brief) explanation that you certainly wouldn't be totally lost if you read this first.(less)
Barbara Because if there are two of you in the same place at the same time, it really messes up the timeline and calamitous things can, and probably will, hap…moreBecause if there are two of you in the same place at the same time, it really messes up the timeline and calamitous things can, and probably will, happen.(less)

Start your review of Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
Sara
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Doing Time is a new 'spin off' series from the popular historical science fiction St Mary's novels from Jodi Taylor, and follows new Time Police recruits Jane, Luke and a certain Matthew Farrell.

In the not too distant future, the world has discovered time travel. Countries, people and historical events blink in and out of existence as vigilantes seek to remake history to their own advantage. To combat this, the Time Police
Robin (Bridge Four)
Audible Daily Deal 20Jul20: $3.99

The Historian’s relationship with the Time Police has always been precarious and I wasn’t sure if I was going to like a book specifically about them. I mean they are not St. Mary’s and I love all the shenanigans those historians get into.
The Time Police dealt with Time; St Mary’s with History – and each of them regarded themselves as of prime importance and the other as being a menace to society in general.

Still I saw that Matthew was one of the rec
Emma
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
More rollicking good times from a slightly different perspective. We got to see quite a few of the St. Mary’s team too as this book follows the perspective of Matthew Farrell, Leon and Max’s son. Other familiar faces are Ellis and North. I was a bit resistant to a new series as I love the St. Mary’s series so much, but this was just as good!
Kaitlin
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the comfort read I have been needing recently, and it worked wonders. I have been finding it a real struggle to want to read or to focus on reading at the moment, and this book was flipping fantastic as a distraction and a story, I highly recommend any Jodi Taylor in this time :)

This is the first in a new series about the Time Police. If you've read Jodi's other work you will know that this is a follow-on series to the Chronicles of St. Mary's series and that she's now writing about a di
Bradley
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started this feeling a little anxious. I mean, after all, I'm a fan of St. Mary's. It kinda feels ... icky... going over to the other side that always shoots first and ... well... shoots first.

I thought I would be missing my favorite time-traveling historians who most definitely do not have a clue.

Fortunately, Jodi Taylor hits all the right notes in this spin-off series. I immediately thought I was reading a Police Academy mixed with time travel. And then I realized I was reading a mix of time
K.J. Charles
Oct 15, 2020 added it
Shelves: comic
I got a bit lost in the Chronicles of St Mary's, in the way of long running soap type series, but this author is usually highly enjoyable so a new series starter seemed like a good idea. It's massive fun, with an obnoxious rich jerk, bullied mouse and traumatized genius weirdo forming a team in the Time Police to much sarcasm. Suffers a little bit at points with referring back to St Mary's characters and plotlines but nothing impossible to grasp.

I will say, Luke's intro is really grating and ma
Mark
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, in the future, the discovery of time travel became known to all. As a result, chaos reigned, history was written and re-written and the world nearly ended in the Time Wars.

In order to stop this, the Time Police were created. An international organisation with near-unlimited powers to perform their duty, to keep the timelines straight. Time travel is now punishable by death, the sentencing of which by the Time Police is now accepted  without question.

The work’s not easy and many
Ann-Marie
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As if we don't have enough to occupy us keeping track of the lunatic historians at St. Mary's Academy, now we have to deal with the exploits of their sworn enemies The Time Police, who would prefer NOBODY traveled back in time. For any reason whatsoever. And the Time Police have a team so inept, so disaster prone you would swear they were actually a St. Mary's team in disguise.
More fun from best selling author Jodi Taylor.
Trish
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, my blunder with where I am in the book (see my status updates) is a perfect representation of the blundering done by three of the new recruits at the Time Police. The Time Police being the (in-)famous organisation rivaling St. Mary's, of course.

Matthew (Max's son) as well as two young people we haven't seen before has entered the training camp at the Time Police. The other two are misfits just like him, with Jane having "destroyed her grandmother's seagull" (yes, it is explained but I don'
Bryan Alkire
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Humorous writing but same old same old…This series startup has the feel of an author pandering to her fanbase because her non-series work doesn’t sell as well. This book is just a less fun version of the St. Mary’s series. Actually, takes place a few years after that series, so will be interesting how the author juggles all that. The book does move along well. The writing is readable and humorous…even though there’s lots of dialogue, it’s mostly one liner and moves along fairly quickly…The main ...more
Claire
A bit of a mishmash. When it's good it's very good but it rambles, can't decide on the tone, picks up and drops threads and only really gets going when St Mary's appear. The author almost has a sigh of relief writing about Max again. I'm sure there is a vicious murder than doesn't really get solved properly, and the glimmerings of a really good mystery in here.

The other thing that got my goat was the needless lack of decent female characters - once again we have a plucky team member who is one
Bridget
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-bookshelves
I'm in love with Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's books, this is a lovely new side series about the ruthless Time Police, or are they ruthless? We'll find out by the end of the book and the journey to that discovery will be hilarious, fun and unexpected. It is a bundle of fun and I'm heading into book 2 very soon. I need to be with Team Weird, Luke, Jane and Matthew for quite a long time to come.
KitKat The #BookNerd KBbookreviews
4.5*

This was amazing, funny and original-I cannot wait for more!

The Time Police is a very original and unique story that follows Jane, Matthew and Luke, three people who join the time police for very different reasons, all of whom are seen as weird and likely to fail. Jane joins after breaking her grandmothers seagull (sorry but you will have to read the book to hear more about this event ;D). She is quiet, nervous and anxious and seems extraordinarily unlikely to be particularly useful. Howev
S.J. Higbee
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is Taylor’s trademark humour, along with moments of real lump-in-the-throat poignancy – I don’t know anyone else who can swing the mood around from tears to laughter and back again with such conviction. What has been reined in a tad in this first book of a new series, is the anarchic mayhem that regularly breaks out in a St Mary’s book as those historians get an idea they want to test. I found it significant that the only time Taylor cuts loose in the same way, is when one of the character ...more
Jo
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The Time Police are feared throughout the lands and known for their tactic of shoot first, ask questions later. When three hapless recruits join up, merry hell is let loose as Jane, Matthew and Luke tackle cases their own way. This was a brilliant romp through time and crime and I found myself thoroughly entertained. Must get around to reading this author's Chronicles of St Mary now.
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
Re-read before getting the second book.
Trelawn
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first installment of the spin off of the St Mary's Chronicles. I was wary going in, St Mary's it is not, but fear not it is every bit as entertaining. There are some very good characters on show, some familiar, some new. The focus is Team Weird, captained by Major Ellis and featuring Matthew Farrell. The concept is sound and the ensuing mayhem is very entertaining. Looking forward to the next issue
Tobey
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read, 2020, tbd
One day I will be able to give 3.5 stars to books here on Goodreads...one day...

Whilst I enjoyed this first book of the Time Police series and I do recommend it, I do not recommend it to those who have not read The Chronicles of St Marys yet. Chronicles gives you a lot of back story and introduces you to some wild and wacky characters, some of who make an appearance in this novel. This series is an investment but it is one of my favorites.

A spinoff from Chronicles, in case that wasn't obvious, i
Lucinda
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Another great foray into the world of St Marys, this time from the Time Police perspective. I really enjoyed the start of the series. There are familiar aspects to some of the situation in which the team finds themselves and a few familiar characters pop up, but I enjoyed that. I am very much looking forward to seeing the next few books and reading the adventures of this new team.
Jan
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first of another long series, hopefully. Instead of concentrating on Max and St. Mary's, this story takes us to another branch of the story. Matthew is a trainee with the Time Police, and his team of fellow misfits bungles through their assignments and into a larger—and more dangerous—plot.

I'll read anything by Jodi Taylor, and this one clenches that decision. It's full of laugh-out-loud bits and full-0n Brit humor, as well as some sweet family moments. Highly recommended for those who loved
Mburrows
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr
Loved it so much I am it reading again.

Even better the second read through.
Bonnie DeMoss
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-travel
Jodi Taylor has done it again. A spinoff of her wonderful St. Mary's Chronicles, Doing Time is the story of Matthew, Jane, and Luke, trainees in the Time Police. Matthew is of course the son of Max and Leon from the St. Mary's Chronicles. There is mystery, laughter, and intrigue all rolled up in one story as the trio become Time Police cadets, and are faced with opposition from the Albayans, the leftover followers of the late Colonel Albay, the former Time Police leader and unapologetic fascist, ...more
Curtis Edmonds
Should you read this book? Answer these questions.

1. Have you read the rest of the St. Mary's books?

If the answer is YES, then you will read this but maybe not like it very much, primarily because the characters just aren't that engaging. You have who I guess is the lead character, who is an extreme introvert with anxiety issues. You have who I guess is the other lead character who is a rich snot whose character arc you can see a mile away. You have Matthew Farrell, who doesn't take after his pa
Isabella
Rating: 2 stars

Eh.

I was reading this book to take break from rereading Wheel of Time (because I read them too fast) but it didn't impress me. I guess because it was marketed as a perfect book for fans of Doctor Who (which I most certainly am) I had my expectations set too high.

The only interesting thing (apart from the cover which is dope) was the concept: humanity has developed time travel, and humans being humans, we messed everything up, even after time travel is made illegal. Unfortunately,
Fern Adams
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If Jodi Taylor decided to write a phone book I would read it. Her work without fail and on every subject makes me laugh, get way too emotionally involved in the characters lives and marvel at her genius and way with words.
Doing Time, the first of the Time Police series was no different. I really enjoyed the appearances of St. Mary’s as well as the trainees themselves develop and do Time policing their way. Possible the shortest 480 pages I’ve ever read!
Gretchen Bernet-Ward
A slow burning novel loosely based on introvert Matthew, son of Dr Lucy "Max" Maxwell and Leon Farrell, who has upped and joined the dreaded Time Police much to St Mary’s consternation. This book is similar to, but different from, The Chronicles of St Mary’s. With an equivalent format, new characters and striking location, it leans toward a YA market with standard personalities and a smattering of historical events.

Although he plays a low profile, Matthew is teamed with two other trainees, hand
Debra
Although not a St Mary's book this Time Police adventure has many of the same elements that I love in the original series. Max and Leon make cameos in the first chapters even! So much fun.

Because of my eye problems, I listened to the audio, narrated by the familiar voice of Zara Ramm.
India
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this one, to be honest, hence why it has an on the fence rating.

Some of the things I loved were the dialogue. This book had me chuckling quite a few times. The dialogue was very witty and was very much my sense of humour.

I really enjoyed exploring the different points of history and time we got to visit and our characters' reactions to being in that environment. I did feel like I was there with them which was very good.

I loved exploring the Time Police organisation itself I
Jacey
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a spin-off from Ms Taylor's St Mary's books, featuring Max, Leon, Markham and a whole cast of wacky historians, where the Time Police are often cast in the role of heavy-handed, jack-booted villains. This time we get to see them as individuals as Max and Leon's son, Matthew reaches the age where he can (and does) choose to enrol as a trainee in the TP, along with two friends, Jane and Luke. Like his mother, Matthew tends to have his own ideas about things, which gets him into trouble (of ...more
Suzie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book for free from NetGalley to provide an unbiased review.

Preamble:

I'm guessing most people who are interested in reading 'Doing Time' are up to date with the Chronicles of St Mary's ' series - I've only read the first 3. I am enjoying them immensely and thought I'd try this spin off... Yes, I'm an idiot! To any in the same position as myself, I would catch up with CoSM and then start this. There are a few 'spoilers ' so bear that in mind.

Review:

Matthew, Luke and Jane are groupe
Play Book Tag: Doing Time - Taylor - 3 stars 1 10 Apr 11, 2020 10:15AM

• A Bachelor Establishment
  • Time Tourist Outfitters, Ltd.
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Quantum Curators and the Fabergé Egg
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • The Constant Rabbit
  • The Christmas Invitation
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • Murder by Other Means (The Dispatcher, #2)
  • The Hitwoman and the Fallen Angel (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #21)
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
  • The Gate that Locks the Tree (Adventures in the Liaden Universe® Book 30)
  • The Book of Betrayal (The Last Oracle, #5)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • The Book of Secrets (The Last Oracle, #1)
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft

The Time Police (2 books)
  • Hard Time (The Time Police, #2)