Start by marking “Mensch*Marks” as Want to Read:
Mensch*Marks

Mensch*Marks

Recollections of a rabbinate life. Nonfiction.
Paperback, First Edition, 250 pages
Published 2019 by Health Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Mensch*Marks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mensch*Marks

Rachel Noel
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Book provided via NetGalley for an honest review.

I'm buying this book. I'm not Jewish, I don't go to any church, but I am buying this book. It's a great help for anyone who just wants to try to do some good in the world but doesn't know where to begin. This book really helped me out when I was going through a really tough time. I'm buying this book.

It doesn't take much to be a good person and this book takes you through several steps towards becoming a real mensch. Hammerman repeatedly discusse
Annotaré
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: jewish & christian readers, rabbi's, non-fiction readers
Recommended to Annotaré by: requested review by publisher
The Torah of Pooh

First, I love books written by Rabbi's. I've never read a bad one. Their style of writing incorporates humor (sometimes very dry—without an olive), with lots of insight and wisdom. Mensch*Marks is no exception. Rabbi Joshua Hammerman had me laughing, concerned, prodded to think, and often surprised at his transparent analysis of Judaism: Mensch*Mark 40—Should Jews Turn The Other Cheek? This four page essay of "Looking Evil in the Eye," was an "eye opener" into the Jewish approac
BookTrib.com
What word would best describe today’s hero? Brave? Bold? Gallant? Daring? Gutsy? Superhuman?

How about mensch?

“In a world as dehumanizing as ours has become, simply being a kind, honest and loving person, a man or woman of integrity, has become a measure of heroism – and at a time when norms of civility are being routinely quashed, it may be the only measure that matters.”

So writes Rabbi Joshua Hammerman in his new book, Mensch-Marks (HCI Books), subtitled “Life Lessons of a Human Rabbi” and “Wis
BookTrib.com
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

How about mensch?

Rachel
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the most important teaching a rabbi does occurs outside the classroom – when giving sermons and lectures or during counseling sessions. Two rabbis offer the lessons they learned over the course of their rabbinate in two new works: Rabbi Tirzah Firestone, Ph.D., discusses how to overcome traumatic experiences in “Wounds into Wisdom: Healing Intergenerational Jewish Trauma” (Adam Kadmon Books/Monkfish Book Publishing Company), while Rabbi Joshua Hammerman focuses more on everyday living ...more
Merle
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always interesting to read the inner thoughts and shared ideas of a Rabbi. Here are the musings of a Rabbi as he follows his career from its start at the age of 28 to the end 30 years later at a Stamford Ct congregation. His growth and how ministers to his congregants can be funny, sad, thoughtful and caring. But always something to learn from.
Hdonner
Mar 31, 2019
Rose
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, well, actually I love any book that has anything remotely to do with Judaism. However, this was a collection of essays and part memoir as well. It guides us to being better people and definitly makes us think. I would recommend this book to pretty much everyone. I loved it.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
Cheryl Sokoloff
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Rabbi Joshua Hammerman's book Mensch-Marks truly inspirational. Everyone can certainly benefit from his lessons on how to live your life with "menschlichkeit". I also now appreciate the respect that the term mensch actually imposes on those who are referred to by this name. Thanks #netgalley for letting me read this advanced copy of #MenschMarks. 4.5 stars!
Priya
This book contains the story of a rabbi coming to terms with his life, both in a professional and personal way. The book was more memoir and less advice, which can be good if both are linked well. In this case, they weren't. There are 42 short chapters about the author's life. I didn't find a lot of value from it but maybe that's just me. I know people who have enjoyed the book.

I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley. It doesn't impact my opinion in any way.
Barb Wiseberg
Jul 02, 2019
Dora Okeyo
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lessons in faith and humility well told from the perspective of a Rabbi and through it all you get a sense of what it means to be human to care and express gratitude and kindness.
Thanks Netgalley for the eARC.
Marianne