Start by marking “Art Direction for the Web” as Want to Read:
Art Direction for the Web

Art Direction for the Web

Modern web technologies like CSS Grid, Flexbox and Shapes have made it possible for us to implement print’s often distinctive designs, and the web’s now full of tutorials on how to use them. But the most important question is not “how” we can use art direction techniques to improve our designs for the web, but “when” and “why?”

Based on Andy Clarke’s twenty years’ experienc
Published April 2019 by Smashing Magazine

To ask other readers questions about Art Direction for the Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Direction for the Web

Start your review of Art Direction for the Web
Andreas
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Hard to read at times because all the quotes and image captions destroy the flow. Might be a problem with the ebook though.

The book contains nice inspiring examples and works as a call to action to invest more care into page designs. Some examples are a bit far-fetched though and don't illustrate the authors point that well.

The code part felt out of place and it misses guidance on how to bring the ideas presented into larger projects where handcrafting every page isn't an option.

All in all an o
Amit Jain
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book to improve my understanding of using art in designing, something I need because I usually approach product development from the logic / data point of view.

This book was very helpful. Andy, basically is urging the world to understand that designing for the web need not be boring / static due to technology limitations and performance considerations. Instead, he believes that it is possible to bring the same kind of creativity that print media has seen for decades. A key reason for
Khue Dinh
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book gives me a lots of inspiration. I finished the art direction part, but I given up the CSS part. Maybe I will come back this part in the future.
Amy
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Several CSS code examples showing off what CSS can do in 2019 when it comes to art direction, including typography, images, and more. Clarke especially brings forth the excitement of grid and flexbox, which are big improvements for layout, moving away from floats and tables. This whole book even brands itself throughout each chapter, giving its own example of art direction.

I struggled a bit at the beginning of the book because I develop and design for government sites, and his examples seem best
Delonn
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-design
This is a great book for understanding how to design art-directed webpage design. There are also many layout examples and the author explain how we can achieve them with css code provided but not as detailed as I would like them to be, especially you would need a certain degree of knowledge about css before you can really understand it.

One of the best thing I like about this book is that the author also showcased how a design can be done a different screen size like mobile, tablet and desktop. U
Nela
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
I didn't keep up with all the new CSS properties that were introduced over the past years, since I was more focused on other areas of design. I got way behind and feeling like my websites were stale and predictable. This book was an excellent introduction to all these tools that make designing for the web much more interesting and way easier than it used to be. It provided both the inspiration and the knowledge to make engaging layouts that tell a story. I read it quickly, but I'm pretty sure I' ...more
Marcello
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! With tons of clear examples the author let you understand what art direction is and why it's so important for the web; he embraces the latest features of the browsers to explain how to craft layouts once thought impossibile.
This book is a must for UX Designers, Visual Designers and Front-end developers to understand betterthe value we can bring to the web platform.
Scott
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Read it non-stop. The history of art direction in part one is fascinating for anyone interested in the history of design. The sample layouts are inspiring and I loved trying out the css grid code to learn for myself how to build inspired layouts. This book is ace!
Andrea Bøe Abrahamsen
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-design, art
Super excited about this book, it blows my mind what one can do with the web with Art Direction design thinking in your arsenal.
Tim
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Art Direction For the Web" is an amazing book that provides inspiration for better web design, and practical tips on just how easy it is to implement good design through modern CSS with little to no CSS hacks or 'presentational HTML'.

Andy Clarke does a masterful job of showing the rich history of art direction in print design, and he inspires us to tell stories in the same way through web design. He encourages us that there are no longer the same limitations on web design that we once had. The
Stig Melón Bratvold
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great practical tips for creating inspiring layouts for the web inspired by print. Many of the examples does not feel realistic though.
Qing
Apr 20, 2020

• Refactoring UI
  • Inclusive Design Patterns - Coding Accessibility Into Web Design
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Design Systems: A practical guide to creating design languages for digital products
  • Form Design Patterns
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Inclusive Components — Accessible web interfaces, piece by piece
  • Smashing Book #5: Real-Life Responsive Web Design
  • The Brand Gap
  • CSS Secrets: Better Solutions to Everyday Web Design Problems
  • Thoughts on Design
  • Smashing Book #6: New Frontiers in Web Design
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • Atomic Design
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database. For more information please see Andy Clarke.

Andrew Clarke is an art director and web designer at the UK website design studio ‘Stuff and Nonsense.’ There he designs websites and applications for clients from around the world. Based in North Wales, Andrew‘s also the author of two web design books, ‘Transcending CS