Start by marking “Jeff Buckley: From Hallelujah to the Last Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Jeff Buckley: From Hallelujah to the Last Goodbye

Jeff Buckley: From Hallelujah to the Last Goodbye

The definitive book on iconic cult hero Jeff Buckley, the singer who made just one record but inspired a generation of rock musicians. Written by his manager Dave Lory,Jeff Buckleyincludes interviews with others who worked closely with him who have never spoken before.

For the first time since Jeff Buckley’s untimely death on May 29, 1997, his manager Dave Lory reveals what
Published October 1st 2019 by Post Hill Press (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Jeff Buckley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jeff Buckley

Start your review of Jeff Buckley: From Hallelujah to the Last Goodbye
Jenny
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm among the Buckley fans that found it painful to listen to his music for quite some time, and had little to no interest in the posthumous records.

I didn't read any of the various other biogs, but when I heard Lory talking about this book in a podcast, I was surprised to discover I wanted to hear his account of his time with Jeff. I thought that if anyone would handle Buckley's career/life/death with sensitivity and respect, it'd be him. That was a correct assumption, and I'm glad I picked
Tyrone Mitchell
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A peek behind the music that was sorely needed

Coming to know Jeff's music much later, I heard Lory on a podcast and if I weren't driving, I would've bought the book right then. There was so much I wished I had known about Buckley besides the obvious, and this fills in the details I wanted to know. It's a funny and heartbreaking read, because you knew that Jeff should've been absolutely huge, but we lost him far too soon.
nate
Buckley and his music have always been fascinating to me. This is satisfying look at the man and his music from an insider perspective. While I'm sure there are more sides to all the stories, Lory does a nice job putting together a picture of a complex person who could both mesmerize and frustrate.
Martina Brtošová
Heartbreaking on so many levels.... "Its all about the music, stupid." ...more
Scott
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Buckley was a truly transcendent musical talent. This book is a chronicle of his fame, mostly over the course of a year or two of his tour. It is written by his manager who chose not to share his story for twenty years.

This book stays with you. I read the whole thing in five days, half of it in one. It's heartbreaking, but you already knew that if you know Jeff's music and story.

I think I still personally prefer David Browne's Dream Brother over this one because I liked Browne's style
Micaela Bass
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost, Dave Lory does an excellent job of chronicling his time with Jeff Buckley and giving the reader a clear, (seemingly) accurate portrayal of Jeff. Lory does not romanticize Jeff's shortcomings, nor does he lionize him. The first chapter of "From Hallelujah..." consists of interviews with those who had close relationships to Jeff, including Gary Lucas, Chris Dowd, Merri Cyr, and many others. This chapter is possibly the most formative of the book, as it fills in the details you ...more
Anita
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been Jeff's biggest fan for many years, his music is part of my every single day and resonates so much with me, his personality, passion for music, his energy, his genuineness and.,, so real '' vibe. He keeps inspiring me so often and I have read few books about him, but this one, was certainly the best. Written by a person who was so close to Jeff, knew him so well and shared so many things and intense moments in life together. No other book will feel so genuine and honest after reading ...more
Toni
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few Jeff Buckley biographies, so I was expecting this to be more of the same with maybe a few observations that had eluded the other authors.
Boy was I wrong.
Written by manager Dave Lory, it’s a chronicle of life with Jeff, told by someone who straightaway recognised his near genius level talent and spent a huge amount of time with him. From the legendary performances at Sin-é, making ‘Grace’ and touring, his manager was by his side, giving the book a unique perspective.
(To be
Guy Mankowski
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so blown away by this book that for once I felt I just had to review it in the hope other people get to experience it. People marvel at Buckley's work but it is evident reading this book that without the brave, solid, honest, perceptive, committed and experienced stewardship of Dave Lory we may well have never got to have his work in our lives. I did start to see, for all Lory's apparent love for Buckley, just how complex and at times yes difficult Buckley was. The scenes in which over the ...more
Tara Lewis
This book is essential reading for any Jeff Buckley fan. It's people who knew and love him, it's brutally honest, and isn't the sanitised Mary Guibert version (keep cashing those cheques, Mary). It really paints a picture of who Jeff was and what he was like personally and creatively and the love and respect that Dave shows is so genuine and heartbreakingly beautiful.
I had to stop reading before the last 3 chapters because I couldn't stop crying. You know what is going to happen but the
Thomas J. Podraza
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read if you’re a fan of ‘90’s rock

Never knew much details about Jeff Buckley beyond his album Grace, but this was a well written book by folks that actually worked with him, that showed not only a gifted musician that influenced several generations of bands, but also the classic tortured artist soul...well paced, and kept the reader in the center of the action...finishing the book, you could only wonder the body of work Buckley could have produced if he was with us a bit longer...
Joe
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Buckley is a musical peculiarity for me- I never heard of him until many years after he died, and the first record of his I listened to was his unfinished, posthumously-released final album. For these reasons, I have always felt a restless need to learn more, hear more, fill in the gaps of my musical knowledge about this absolute masterpiece of a musician. This book is what I have been searching for, and it has satisfied me, at last.
Maddie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a massive fan of his music, the last three chapters of this book were especially hard to read. Overall, it's difficult to really put into words what stories about Jeff Buckley mean to me, but I'm glad I read this.
Mat
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly compelling, and joins Dream Brother in the seminal Jeff Buckley reads. Lory comes over as very likeable and paints a much more human picture of JB, warts and all. Very well written too, a page turner.
Bridget Allan
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beautiful, I feel like I got to meet him because of this book. It was so detailed, so loving and brutally honest. Probably the most non-biased Jeff Buckley book I’ve ever read (and I have 3 others!)
Frances Macken
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put it down. I adored it.
Nancy
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing ... a great, almost day to day, history of Jeff’s short life by someone who was there and loved him.

Rebeca Lazo
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
it took me so long to read this book because i had no time to read it, but it was so good i couldn’t stop reading it when i actually had time. i cried so much
Stained Radio
Personal, oftentimes funny, and most of all honest. This book makes you feel like you know the many sides of Jeff. Wouldn't recommend to anyone who isn't a die hard Jeff Buckley fan.
Madan
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good companion piece to the Gary Lucas one about Jeff Buckley or vice versa (depending on which one you read first). Lory picks up the narrative where Lucas left it, in essence. While Lucas does describe Buckley's life post Gods and Monsters unto death, it is in passing as he was no longer in Buckley's life by this point. And so, as Buckley was now a solo artist signed onto Columbia, they looked for a manager and Lory ended up being the one, sharing the job with his own ex-lawyer.

Lory