Start by marking “The Rose That Blooms in the Night” as Want to Read:
The Rose That Blooms in the Night

The Rose That Blooms in the Night

Without the sun, the rose that blooms in the night must learn to create light within herself and bloom from her own love. This poetry collection is a journey of finding the strengthit takes to be soft.

The Rose That Blooms in the Night is a collection of poems from spoken word poet, yoga instructor, podcaster, and Instagram influencer Allie Michelle. The collection is meant
Published October 15th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Rose That Blooms in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose That Blooms in the Night

Start your review of The Rose That Blooms in the Night
Reading Tam Ishly
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
''Though she had strong thorns
Her heart was always open
For those with an open heart
Can never be broken''
*Excerpt from the poem 'Rose of the Night'

First of all, I love the illustrations! They are so so powerful and add charm to the collection.

This is a collection that fiercely talks about being a woman, women empowerment, loving oneself, lost love, being alone, accepting oneself, how love should be and should be not, grief, the difference of being nice and kind, letting go, digital
sarah xoxo
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, arcs
This is one of my favourite poetry collections I have ever read.
I typically find myself disconnected from poetry, but that did not occur in this one.
The poems were beautifully written, with substance to them that made me feel deeper meaning.
The illustrations sprinkled through were simplistic, but gorgeous and perfectly integrated in.

poetry tends to focus on grief, heartbreak and abuse- which is completely fine, but can seem repetetive.
However this book had themes of self love, hope and
Erika Sarutobi
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
"My potential haunts me
As I feel the ghost of who I could be
But I am tired of fantasizing about my future self
Instead of learning to fall in love with who I am right now
Where is the line between self-improvement and
self-deprecation?"

2.5 stars.

This was an okay read. The self-worth and self-healing as always is what I focus on the most and there were a lot of that. However, I can't shake the feeling that the poems were repetitive and somewhat messy.

I like how the poems were long compared to other
Jessica | Booked J
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Again, I have to say it: 2019 has been killing it with fantastic poetry. The Rose That Blooms in the Night is another wonderful example of the intimacy that is prose. It is empowering, honest, full of life and its complexities. Allie Michelle explores many topics with a tone that
Lili
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Rose that Blooms in the Night is a collection of poems involving love, self love and current states of the world. I was hooked from the very beginning and found my self relating to so many of the prose. I feel like the writer put into words what I couldn't say before. I found myself saying “yes” and agreeing with her constantly. I really wish I had a physical copy so I could have annotated it. I will buy it myself when it comes out!

I was intrigued by the illustrations and could tell they
Irene
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
this is a beautiful poetry book. i enjoyed all the poems. some of them are kinda cliché and repetitive, but that was not a bad thing.

the topics were about love, lost, self love and feminism. and i would LOVE to have a physical copy.

*Note: I received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Emma
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Rose That Blooms in the Night by Allie Michelle is a poetry book exploring the themes of self-love and healing. I finished this book in a few hours and I enjoyed it so much! I have tried reading several poetry books in the past, and most of them never quite resonated with me the way I had heard other readers online and in real life talk about them, but it seems I have finally found the poetry collection for me in Michelle’s newest book.

The Rose That Blooms in the Night is a very calming,
Alexys_Tenshi
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, pdf
** I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review. **

This is my first reading of a poetry collection and I loved it!

"The Rose That Blooms in the Night" is a collection divided in two sections. The themes covered by the author are about love, self-love, grief, pain and hope.

During the reading, I signed so many sentences that touch my heart and made me thing "oh, it's talking about me". If you're feeling down, you can read some poems and get back your vitality.

The
Iqra M.
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The collection of poems and proses in The Rose That Blooms in the Night were incredibly touching. I enjoyed the themes that revolve around the book - feminism, social media, grief and more. I thought that the author did an incredible job curating the book. What's more, the illustrations complement the beautiful style of writing.
Kudos to the author. This book comes out in a few days on October 15th.
Thank you Andrew McMeel Publishing and Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest
Jantine
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fish dove beneath the water
Breathing for the first time
Feeling it was finally home

The beauty in poems is that they are so personal and vastly different from each other. The poems in 'The Rose That Blooms in the Night' are much longer and use many more words to show what they have to tell than those in many poetry bundles I read. That doesn't make them better, it doesn't make them worse, it makes them what they are.

The beautiful illustrations add to the strength of the poems with their
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
Some beautiful poetry in here, I loved the fact so much dealt with self love too, which is the most important love for most people they struggle with. Beautiful illustrations that go with the stunning lyrical prose. An absolutely wonderful collection you can dip into or throw yourself in whole as I did. Stunning

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Diana Iozzia (Bookworm Banter)
"The Rose That Blooms in the Night"
Written by Allie Michelle
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

"The Rose That Blooms in the Night" is a beautifully written collection of poetry by the modern poet, Allie Michelle. The beautiful illustrations add another great element to this collection. Michelle's poetry encompasses many themes: feminism, relationships, love, and adulthood. Some of the stronger themes include relationship abuse, death, and mental illness. Her natural ability to reflect the world through a
Neriah Samraksha
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"If you want to know how we are treating our world
Look to know we are treating our women
//Mother Earth//"

Wooooooooow! Allie Michelle literally did that! She literally reached to my soul, grabbed it by her fists and caressed it with her honest lines about self-love, acceptance, forgiveness, healing, insecurities, social media, family and love.

Each poem exploring its theme has an individualistic approach and by that I mean, every poem written until now has another or a couple more pieces written
Vaiomo
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
A big thank you to NetGalley and the Author for letting me read this book so early in return for an honest and unbiased review.

Okay, so it's been like half a year since I last read a poetry book so I figured I would start with one again I have to say this one quite disappointed me.

When I read about this one it sounded great: "a mirror reflecting the love inside of those who read it."
It all sounded very uplifting and amazing to me.

However it started of being like that. The poetry book started
Pao Vilchis
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2019
“If you want to know how we are treating our world. Look at how we are treating our women”

I got this on a whim hoping it would help me get over my current reading slump, and it did so much more. I loved this book.

This is a poetry collection that touches on many topics like love, loss, social media, family, growth and forgiveness, but most importantly it explores self-love and healing and that is why I think everyone should read this. I know some people are not going to enjoy this book as much
Kriti | Armed with A Book
I read this collection of poems in one sitting - it was comforting and thoughtful, while at the same time being haunting and truthful. I liked the way that Allie conveyed the sentiments around love, passion and learning to be oneself. It helped me acknowledge some truths that I had not yet put into words - things that I want to tell my daughter and my son in the future, the struggle that I have justifying social media sometimes, what it means to come out of my comfort zone and empowering ...more
♡ Neeka ♡
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for the free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review!

"You are chasing a life that is not meant for you, my love
That is why you are in so much pain
When you stop running so fast
Your purpose will finally have time to catch up with you"

This is one of the best collections of poetry I have come across in quite some time. I was hooked from the very beginning. I don't usually "highlight" or "bookmark" favorite passages in the books as I read; typically
Dasha Slepenkina
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-reads
A big thank-you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for giving me a copy of this book for an unbiased review.

1.5, rounded up to 2 - It was okay, but I did not enjoy it.

I had two major issues with this book. First, it contributed no ideas that I had not heard before. Second, it read like an extended Tumblr post.

These are two examples of poems that are within the book:

"Let Go
Sometimes you don't realize
What you are holding on to
Until you let it go"

"'Why do relationships fall apart?' he
Carro Herdegen
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language: PG (1 swear, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG
Love can be found in many places and can be both devastating and rapturous. While love is most often viewed as what can be found between two people, love is also something that we need to find within ourselves for ourselves. Loving yourself will lead to more fulfilling love with others.
Michelle goes on a journey about love and loss and beauty, and readers are able to feel the truth of her words resonate inside them. I found that I
emily [coffeeandwashitape]
"If you want to know how we are treating our world, look at how we are treating our women."

I enjoyed this collection of poetry by Allie Michelle quite a bit. There was something magical about the way she writes and describes things. It was magical and felt a bit like riddles, the way a fortune teller tells you about your future, it's the same way that Allie writes these poems, and it is mesmerizing.

I enjoyed the poems the farther into the book I read, getting more and more used to the styling
Sherri
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
When people ask me where I am from
I always reply, "Earth"
I do not separate myself
Based on invisible lines drawn in dirt
I celebrate diversity
But do not let it divide
We're all students in life's university
And bleed the same color inside

Provided kindly by NetGalley.
I highly enjoyed reading this collection of poetry. I found this collection could be read many times during a person's lifetime. There are many passages that I found that spoke to me personally, and I know other passages would speak
Maggie Chatterton
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Rose that Blooms in the Night by Allie Michelle is a collection of powerful, thought provoking poetry. Sprinkled within the collection are some illustrations that didn't take from the poetry within the collection. While some of the poems didn't speak to me personally, they were all rather lovely to read. The collection covered a large range of emotions. Some felt a tough repetitive to me, but they were delivered in such a way that it allowed me to experience the message once more.

Grief will
Pamela Scott
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it

ARC from @AndrewsMcMeel via #NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed

I found this collection of poetry sheer pleasure to read, the kind of poetry you can dip into whenever you have a few minutes to spare and easily get lost in. There are illustrations throughout which I loved and enhanced the spirit and meaning of the poems. The poems focus on universal themes such as being a woman, female empowerment, self-love, love, loneliness, letting go, grief and hiding
Dora Okeyo
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Look, I wasn't ready for this...maybe I was, but here's the thing; Allie Michelle succeeded in making me feel. Her words, some lyrical, others full of reflection and downright unapologetic ignited feelings in me that I worked so hard to calm or cast aside.
With pieces like 'Home' she reminds you that your mind could either be heaven or hell, so you'd better guard it. When you come across a piece like "Grief" in just five sentences she brings you to your knees in pain. Some pieces are light, witty
C.M. Estopare
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect when cracking open this poetry collection. If I were being truly honest, I haven't read a true book of poems since my mother had a poem published back in the early 2000s (showing my age here). I've perused the Kokinshi, listened to Sarah Blondin's spoken word poetry, but I haven't read a good book of poems until now and I am so grateful for stumbling across Allie Michelle's book.

Read my full review here: https://rainymorningreads.weebly.com/...

This book was
Kathy
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Rose That Blooms in the Night is a collection of poems and prose that is virtually guarenteed to hit a note with the reader. The book is emotive and affirming, with a recurring theme of self-acceptance. The author's background in wellness and healing, is evident.

I found myself bookmarking several pages, and copied many lines that spoke to me into a notebook I keep of quotes, poems, sayings that I love. This is a book that I'll re-read. I highly recommend it!

Many thanks to NetGalley and
April Harris
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the best pick me up read I've had in a while. I've been in a little bit of a reading slump and this book got me out of it. All the poems by Allie Michelle were very relatable and heartwarming. The poems subjects range from love, loss, & self doubt. I thank my favorite was "The Only Words That Matter." I feel like it is so relatable to anyone that has lost a love one.
Thank you so much to Allie Michelle, Andrews McNeel Publishing, & Netgalley for early access!!! I will definitely
Lindsay
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Rose That Blooms in the Night by Allie Michelle is one of those books that reaches inside of you and pulls your feelings out. They get all scrambled but in a good way. This book makes you examine yourself and your feelings. It is beautifully written and the poetry is absolutely stellar. Truly a work of art.

I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.

#read #reader #book #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #bookreview #greatreads #alwaysreading
Sue
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
“Every experience that happens to us is simply an experience. It is the meaning we create from the experience that stays with us for a lifetime...” This is a very calm poetry book about self-discovery, self-healing and self-awareness. I especially loved the poems associating human emotions through nature. I just wished the second part of the book offered more than just inspiring quotes, because I truly enjoyed the first half more than the second. The experience of reading it was a nice one, it ...more
Giorgiana
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
'The Rose that Blooms in the Night' is a great poetry book that made me pick up the pen and paper and try writing some poetry of my own. I've read it twice already and will definitely buy a printed copy for my personal library. Each page contains not only words but also emotions which lately it seems so hard to achieve.

I will definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to spend a cold afternoon in front of the fire while reading something light and meaningful.

P.S. has great images.

• Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • Tell Me Another Story: Poems of You and Me
  • Submerge
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Nectar
  • You Can't Kill Me Twice: (So Please Treat Me Right)
  • Sad Birds Still Sing
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • How to Be a Poet
  • The Road Between
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Eff This! Meditation: 108 Tips, Tricks, and Ideas for When You're Feeling Anxious, Stressed Out, or Overwhelmed