Start by marking “Super Sidekicks #1: No Adults Allowed” as Want to Read:
Super Sidekicks #1: No Adults Allowed

Super Sidekicks #1: No Adults Allowed

Superheroes have it easy. They don't have to clean their secret headquarters, wash the alien bloodstains out of their costumes or be responsible for taking Super Mutt out for a walk. No, they leave all that for their sidekicks like me, while they get all the credit!

I'm Junior Justice, but you can call me JJ, and I think it's time we made our own team.

The Super Sidekicks!
Published April 2nd 2019 by Puffin Books, Penguin Random House

To ask other readers questions about Super Sidekicks #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super Sidekicks #1

Start your review of Super Sidekicks #1: No Adults Allowed
Schizanthus Nerd
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Junior Justice (JJ) is sick of being the sidekick of the most famous superhero in the world so he decides to form his own team. Together with Flygirl, Dinomite and Goo, these heroes are ready to prove to the adults that they’re capable of doing more than laundry.

JJ is the world’s greatest martial artist, a master in multiple disciplines including Mongolian tickle fighting. Flygirl is the world’s most acrobatic flyer. Dinomite has a degree in quantum mechanics and can speak 47 languages but all
Cassie
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really fun!
Rhyllis Bignell
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cartoonist Gavin Aung Than’s graphic novel champions the underdog in the super hero world, the sidekicks. When Junior Justice -JJ decides he wants to be a superhero instead, he calls a special meeting at a secret warehouse location. He’s tired of his subordinate role and wants to stop cleaning up after Captain Perfect, washing his costumes and organising his headquarters. It’s time to turn things around.
He chooses Flygirl who’s tired of being sidekick to Rampaging Rita who loves to destroy every
Theediscerning
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, this was brisk and lively fun. Three sidekicks to superheroes meet up together and tell of the stress, woe and denigration they get in their underling role. Unfortunately, their main baddie's subsidiary character, a lump of pink slime stuff, turns up too – but only because he feels the same as them, and is no longer evil. But more unfortunately, their adult bosses turn up and demand they get back to the job of being sidekick. And even more unfortunate – perhaps the most unfortunate possibl ...more
Judy Wollin
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Justice Junior likes to be called JJ. JJ is angry. Really angry. He’s had enough. Enough of being second best. Tired of being a side kick. It’s over, no-more side kick for JJ.

JJ calls a meeting with his friends Flygirl and Dinomite. Together they decide to form their own superhero gang and save the world together. Trouble is an intruder has found the gangs head-office. Goo wants in. Isn’t he the enemy?
Goo has escaped evil Dr Enok. Will JJ, Flygirl and Dinomite let Goo join their superhero gang
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
These young sidekicks are done with their days serving superheroes. They can do so much more than washing laundry and trying to clean up their superheroes messes. Junior Justice, Flygirl, Dinomite, and Goo are determined to form their own super team...but everything goes wrong when supervillain Dr. Enok realizes that Goo is missing from his laboratory! Soon Dr. Enok and all of their old superheroes are determined to track them down and put their sidekicks back to work--but the Super Sidekicks kn ...more
Julie Garner
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, kids
What fun this book is! It will appeal to kids who love the super hero genre, as well as fans of Bad Guys & Dog Man. It is done in a big graphic novel style format that the kids are loving these days.
We have a team of sidekicks who are sick & tired of doing the ‘dirty’ work whilst the heroes get the glory. They quit being sidekicks to form their own super group. What happens next reminds us of the resilience of kids, the power of friendship and the fact that when you work as a team you can achiev
AD
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think kids are going to love this book about 4 superhero sidekicks who are sick of being ordered about by their adult superhero partners. They decide to break free and form their own crime fighting group. But what happens when one of them is kidnapped, on their first day?!
Lots of fun humour in this black and white graphic novel.
Alison
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a lot of fun. Junior Justice, Flygirl, Dinomite and Goo are fed up of being side kicks, so they team up to fight Dr Enok and his robot army. Junior Justice seems to be East Asian; I would have loved this book in my classroom, since the Vietnamese children I taught rarely saw themselves in books. I will be looking out for the sequel.
Jaime
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a great graphic novel for skilled early readers. I am adding this series to our graphic novels collection. I enjoyed the characters and the storyline. I am positive it will keep readers wanting to read the next one in the series.
Matt Haynes
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cool story!
Michael Kwan
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Considering how much I love Zen Pencils, of course I enjoyed this. Even better that I get to enjoy this with my daughter.
Anna Hepworth
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aurealis
read as a judge for Aurealis awards for 2019

Well written, appropriate to age group, rather formulaic, but I can see that as an advantage given the target demographic. A number of aspects that could have been handled slightly better, because they are subtly reinforcing bad behaviour I dont' want to see modelled to kids.
Raven Black
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, clever and modern story. There is enough "kid humor" to keep the readers laughing and actually has a bit of charm for the adults. Over all a fun new series in graphic novels ...more
Amanda Ferreira
Oct 22, 2020
Harini Padmanabhan
Dec 22, 2020
Elena Ware
rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2020
Seawood
Jun 13, 2020
Kirsten Bennett
Apr 20, 2019

• King of the Birds (Arlo & Pips #1)
  • Spacebot
  • Guts
  • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
  • Le facteur de l'espace
  • Kitty and Dragon
  • Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal
  • The Deep End (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #15)
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Pacey Packer: Unicorn Tracker (Pacey Packer: Unicorn Tracker, #1)
  • Long Way Down: The Graphic Novel
  • Cat Crusader (Max Meow #1)
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Twins
  • The Memory Police
  • The Phantom Twin
  • Toffee
  • Virtual Unicorn Experience (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #12)
Gavin Aung Than is a freelance cartoonist based in Melbourne, Australia. After working in the corporate graphic design industry for 8 years he quit his unfulfilling job at the end of 2011 to focus on his true passion, drawing cartoons. Gavin launched Zen Pencils at the start of 2012, a cartoon blog which adapts inspirational quotes into comic stories, and hasn’t looked back since.

News & Interviews