Start by marking “Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life” as Want to Read:
Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life

Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life

You sit down at your desk to work on an important project, but a notification on your phone interrupts your morning. Later, as you're about to get back to work, a colleague taps you on the shoulder to chat. At home, screens get in the way of quality time with your family. Another day goes by, and once again, your most important personal and professional goals are put on ...more
Published September 10th 2019 by Benbella Books (first published August 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Indistractable, please sign up.
ryan brown No. Hooked is about habit-forming products. Indistractable is about how to reframe and improve your focus, attention, and relationships.

Start your review of Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
Sean Gibson
Lets get this out of the way up front: the guy who (literally) wrote the book on making addictive tech writing a guide on how to not get distracted by addictive tech is like someone writing a book on the merits of veganism and then writing a follow-up called Eating Yummy Baby Cows and Other Ways to Fill Your Cramhole With the Savory Flesh of Delicious, Fluffy Creatures!

That said, I came into this hoping for a Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking-like exploration of
Jorge David Fernandez
Could have been a blog post. Better off reading Atomic Habits, Deep Work or The Path of Least Resistance.
Emma Sea
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
ACT theory + time blocking + habit setting + digital minimalism. There. Now you don't need to read it.
Elvina Zafril
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pansing
I sometimes when I'm with friends, I constantly checking out my phone. I know my friends were annoyed. HAHAH until I read this book, I can call myself 'phubber' meaning phone snubber.

I loved this book so much. It was really incredible. I loved that this book is relatable in some kind of ways in my personal life.

I am always being distracted by something. I'm so glad I read this book. I can apply all the tips in my daily life. I really enjoyed the section in this book. I'm the type of people who
Lou
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We live in a world where distractions exist around every corner, and I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes procrastinate. It's a timely and pretty important book as the modern age of technology appears to have become like opium to some. So what can we do to become more productive you ask? Well, Stanford Professor Nir Eyal is about to tell us in an understandable, conversational way how to get more done and there is plenty of technical detail included for those of us who enjoy knowing the ...more
Benjamin Azevedo
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too many fillers. Go for Digital Minimalism, instead.

Note to self: always be aware of books that have a lot of good reviews before publishing. Probably friends, fans or people who got the book as a gift.
Charles Roels
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was an early reader of the book and was fascinated from beginning to end.
Indistractable is an in-depth, scientifically underpinned, guide on how to take back control of your life and removing distractions that take you away from being present in the moment.
I loved the the very personal elements, for example the superpower story at the beginning and the end, which emphasise the arguments in a very gentle and kind way.
The whole book is very relatable, from a professional point of view, but
Valentin
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: product
I liked Nir's other book, "Hooked." It is one of my favorite and best product/business books ever (and also useful for non-product people). After "Hooked" taught the whole industry how to build addictive products, Nir is now basically selling the "cure."

The first half of "Indistractable" is ok, and there is some good general idea on "why" you are so easily addicted to your smartphone, Facebook, etc. However, I think I was intuitively trying and applying most of them just because of the
Mehrsa
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are some helpful hints and reminders in here that I will be adopting. I read a lot of books like this but it's amazing how distractions creep back in and you have to remind yourself to take control of your own time.
Alan Stout
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: priority
I am reviewing this book because I received a preliminary copy and think it is a vitally important topic.

How many stars would I give Indistractable? (1-5)

5 out of 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

How would I summarize the book in one sentence?

Live a fulfilling life by becoming aware and controling both the internal and external triggers that constantly bombard me.

What were the most memorable or helpful parts of the book?

Changing some of my beliefs such the reframing of my thinking about will power. (Refuting Ego
Rod Moser
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever gone out with friends or family and there is that one guy who is constantly checking out of the conversation and checking into his phone? Super annoying, right? Well, I'm that guy. I didn't realize what it was called until I read Nir Eyal's book but I am a 'phubber' (phone snubber).

As a real estate broker, coach, and father of 6 boys, I am always being distracted by something. I would get anxious every time the phone chirped or beeped or pinged. Was it a client emergency, do my
Mario Tomic
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple and quick read covering helpful strategies and tactics for effectively managing attention in an ever more distracting world. The tips were backed by research data as well as some interesting anecdotes. The reason why I'm giving it 4/5 because I've heard and applied most of the tactics discussed in the brook. This is not to say that they don't work but I was expecting deeper insights. Having said all of this, I would recommend this book. It's a great read and I also recommend picking up ...more
Austin Rief
I read Indistractible last weekend in 1 sitting it was really incredible. Very thought provoking, packed with lots of action items. Really enjoyed it and have already recommended it to multiple people! ...more
Debbie

Like many self-help books, Indistractable is full of both hits and misses.

While there are definitely some interesting and applicable points made (particularly the recommendation to timebox your schedule), most arent explored thoroughly enough or feel a little too generic. While there are definitely some benefits to the short-and-sweet approacheasy to digest, quick to read, and memorable sound bitesin this instance it felt light on content and substance... it felt like a drawn out blog
Ryan Newton
Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. Hooked was great and I was excited to develop techniques to combat the draw of my phone.

Unfortunately, Indistractable just doesn't deliver. It's composed of 36 very short chapters that are loosely grouped into sections but that never really come together. And the lessons in each chapter mostly rehash generic productivity advice - plan your day, set aside enough time for family, etc.

Ultimately I found the book to be generic and forgettable.
Kerry-louise Jones
This book is full of interesting studies and facts to help you understand why you are being distracted and gives you simple solutions to help improve how you spend the time you have.

I would recommend this to anyone who is struggling with high screen time or work/life balance. It is really relatable and non-judgemental, the author himself admits to falling victim of so many of the struggles that we face today such as checking social media when spending time with his child. A lot of the findings
Suzanne
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a world filled with an ever increasing number of distractions, Nir Eyal comes to the rescue with a book full of well researched and thoroughly tested ideas to help you choose how to spend your time wisely. It's all in service of the idea that what you consistently do over time is going to make you the person you end up being. Are you spending your time according to your values and who you want to be?

The book covers a lot from being more focused at work to parenting to relationships and I
Adriana
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The best part of this entire book was his advice on setting guidelines on tech usage with your kids, partner, and your friends.

The rest was a very high-level introduction to behavioral adaption and change, with easy-to-use pointers to remember at the end of every chapter. It felt very informal, like a webinar or a collection of PowerPoint slides, and less in-depth or researched analysis, like I was hoping.

Also, while the idea of timeboxing is appreciated, the truth is not everyone has the
Mike Mulvey
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've noticed WHO is reading an audiobook greatly affects how much I enjoy a book. Nir Eyal reads his own book and that was a mistake.

Nir Eyal is a dork, he sounds like a dork, and much of the advice he gives in the book is dorky (scheduled get-togethers with couples he and his wife are friends with where they discuss a pre-planned topic? Hey, that's the worst idea I've ever heard).

If it sounds like I'm hating on Eyal, I'll mention I much preferred his previous book, 'Hooked'. I also read the
Manu
Towards the end of the book, the author cites a survey which found that "almost a third of Americans would rather give up sex for a year than part with their mobile phone for that long". Sex has been hardwired in us by evolution, and it's a testament to technology that it has managed to hack even that! But then again, there was a time when even the printing press was called the biggest source of distraction. So this isn't a new story. But we do live in a world in which the attention economy has ...more
Rochelle
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
What I loved the most about this book was the very succinct nature of the advice. Also the fact that it didn't demonize our devices or talk of simplistic fixes like 'unplugging', which often do not work.

It was an easy read with very practical and good advice that I can actually see myself putting into practice. Some of the strategies are those that I learned from books like 'Deep Work' by Cal Newport, and have already implemented and they do work very well. Hence, I have high hopes for some of
Ruth Meyer
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book that would be helpful for many people in our modern world. Not all of it was applicable to me, as there was an entire section on becoming indistractable at work (specifically, an office setting, on dealing with coworkers and how to run better meetings), but I did glean some helpful insight on my behaviors and finding the underlying root cause to my own distractions. I was pleased to realize that I was already incorporating some of the strategies Nir suggests, even if I ...more
Taylor
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came into this book as a major fan of Nirs, and to be honest, was skeptical that he could reproduce the same elegance and practicality of his first book, Hooked.

With Indistractable, Nir has proven that his gift extends far beyond his knowledge, to his ability to go deep on the research, on our behalf, and then translate that research into simple, actionable, and fun/easy to read material. I am really psyched about this book and strongly recommend it.

As context, I am someone who reads books
Neelam Babul
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this age of technology overuse and social media, I have struggled to maintain my focus and not get overwhelmed with the constant pings and dings distracting my attention and flow.

Indistractible is a highly inspiring and motivational book for me. This is due in large part to its simplicity and the practical advice prevalent in the book. Eyal presents a matrix with which you can ensure the highest level of productivity and achievement. These include:-

1. Master internal triggers
2. Make time
Harshita Gupta
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well, I completed this book today and was contemplating the right kind of words to pen down. I do love non-fiction reads be it belongs to self-help books, business reads, biographies or autobiographies, books on mind or life. I read all the styles of non-fiction. But Indistractable wasnt the book for me.
Indistractable focuses on the reduction of distractions that is mainly caused by the use of technology and gadgets. It comprises of easy to read short chapters with further sections talking about
Amanda
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, 5000-2020
I feel like I get distracted so incredibly easily anymore, so I picked up Indistractable in the hope that it would give me some ideas on how to focus more. Since finishing, I've installed a Safari stylesheet that blocks my Facebook news feed, which keeps me from infinite scrolling and clicking on dumb articles, and I've set screen time limits on my phone, limiting both my social media usage (down from 2+ hours a day to an hour or less) and my time near bedtime (no apps available from 9 pm on). ...more
Kathryn
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book literally made so much of the problems I have seem so easy to deal with. It doesn't matter what you do with your time, as long as the things you are doing with your time are the things you had planned to use that time for. This book has increased my productivity and decreased my day to day anxiety, it is full of tips and examples of how to stay on track and not get overwhelmed. I highly recommend it to anyone still trying to get their sh*t together.

description
Willy Gonzalez
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed listening to Nirs audiobook Indistractible. I specifically loved the number of great examples and how he stresses that technology isnt necessarily bad - its about how we use it and put the right mecchanisms to avoid the engagement/distracting loop.
I will definitely be using the trick to ask is everything ok? when someone checks their phone in the middle of a social gathering. Its disarming and thoughtful!
ryan brown
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Indistractable is a practical, judgement-free guide to health and happiness for the 21st century. Nir lays out a compelling way to reframe experiences and drive you to a more meaningful, happier relationship with your work, life, and family. The book is laid out in a pragmatic way, with "hack back" tactics to help you improve. There's a wealth of extremely helpful advice. I strongly recommend this book.
Elizabeth
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Thanks to NetGalley and BenBella Books for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This book is fascinating! Its packed with 5 years of research in the field of increasing productivity by decreasing distractions. Lots of helpful tips and tools to implement in the home and/or the office.

• Stillness Is the Key
  • The Infinite Game
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • The Loop Approach: How to Transform Your Organization from the Inside Out
  • Good Habits, Bad Habits: The Science of Making Positive Changes That Stick
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
  • Seeing Around Corners: How to Spot Inflection Points in Business Before They Happen
  • Why Are We Yelling?: The Art of Productive Disagreement
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
Nir Eyal is the bestselling author of "Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products" (a finalist for the 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards) and "Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life." (nominated for the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards)

He has taught at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and Hasso Plattner Institute of Design. His writing on technology, psychology and

Articles featuring this book

Your 2019 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal is just within reach, and we're here to help you finish the reading year with some great new b...
“We can cope with uncomfortable internal triggers by reflecting on, rather than reacting to, our discomfort. We can reimagine the task we’re trying to accomplish by looking for the fun in it and focusing on it more intensely. Finally, and most important, we can change the way we see ourselves to get rid of self-limiting beliefs.” 5 likes
“An individual’s level of self-compassion had a greater effect on whether they would develop anxiety and depression than all the usual things that tend to screw up people’s lives, like traumatic life events, a family history of mental illness, low social status, or a lack of social support.” 5 likes