Start by marking “Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life” as Want to Read:

Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life

"Indistractable provides a framework that will deliver the focus you need to get results." (James Clear, author of Atomic Habits)

You sit down at your desk to work on an important project, but a notification on your phone interrupts your morning. Later, as you're about to get back to work, a colleague taps you on the shoulder to chat. At home, screens get in the way of qu
Published September 10th 2019 by Benbella Books (first published August 6th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Indistractable by Nir   Eyal
    Release date: Sep 10, 2019
    GOODREADS CHOICE AWARD NOMINEE

Enter for a chance to win 1 of 15 copies of Indistractable, up for a Goodreads Choice Award in the Science &

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 15 copies available, 2530 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 10 - Dec 04, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Indistractable, please sign up.
    ryan brown No. Hooked is about habit-forming products. Indistractable is about how to reframe and improve your focus, attention, and relationships.

Start your review of Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
    Elvina Zafril
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I sometimes when I'm with friends, I constantly checking out my phone. I know my friends were annoyed. HAHAH until I read this book, I can call myself 'phubber' meaning phone snubber.

I loved this book so much. It was really incredible. I loved that this book is relatable in some kind of ways in my personal life.

I am always being distracted by something. I'm so glad I read this book. I can apply all the tips in my daily life. I really enjoyed the section in this book. I'm
    Lou
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    We live in a world where distractions exist around every corner, and I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes procrastinate. It's a timely and pretty important book as the modern age of technology appears to have become like opium to some. So what can we do to become more productive you ask? Well, Stanford Professor Nir Eyal is about to tell us in an understandable, conversational way how to get more done and there is plenty of technical detail included for those of us who enjoy knowing the i ...more
    Charles Roels
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was an early reader of the book and was fascinated from beginning to end.
    Indistractable is an in-depth, scientifically underpinned, guide on how to take back control of your life and removing distractions that take you away from being present in the moment.
    I loved the the very personal elements, for example the superpower story at the beginning and the end, which emphasise the arguments in a very gentle and kind way.
    The whole book is very relatable, from a professional point of view, but eq
    Alan Stout
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: priority
    I am reviewing this book because I received a preliminary copy and think it is a vitally important topic.

How many stars would I give Indistractable? (1-5)

5 out of 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

How would I summarize the book in one sentence?

Live a fulfilling life by becoming aware and controling both the internal and external triggers that constantly bombard me.

What were the most memorable or helpful parts of the book?

Changing some of my beliefs such the
    Rod Moser
    Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Have you ever gone out with friends or family and there is that one guy who is constantly checking out of the conversation and checking into his phone? Super annoying, right? Well, I'm that guy. I didn't realize what it was called until I read Nir Eyal's book but I am a 'phubber' (phone snubber).

As a real estate broker, coach, and father of 6 boys, I am always being distracted by something. I would get anxious every time the phone chirped or beeped or pinged. Was it a client emergency, do my ki
    Mehrsa
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    There are some helpful hints and reminders in here that I will be adopting. I read a lot of books like this but it's amazing how distractions creep back in and you have to remind yourself to take control of your own time.
    Valentin
    Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: product
    I liked Nir's other book, "Hooked." It is one of my favorite and best product/business books ever (and also useful for non-product people). After "Hooked" taught the whole industry how to build addictive products, Nir is now basically selling the "cure."

The first half of "Indistractable" is ok, and there is some good general idea on "why" you are so easily addicted to your smartphone, Facebook, etc. However, I think I was intuitively trying and applying most of them just because of the knowledg
    Austin Rief
    I read Indistractible last weekend in 1 sitting… it was really incredible. Very thought provoking, packed with lots of action items. Really enjoyed it and have already recommended it to multiple people!
    Jorge David Fernandez
    Could have been a blog post. Better off reading Atomic Habits, Deep Work or The Path of Least Resistance.
    Mario Tomic
    Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Simple and quick read covering helpful strategies and tactics for effectively managing attention in an ever more distracting world. The tips were backed by research data as well as some interesting anecdotes. The reason why I'm giving it 4/5 because I've heard and applied most of the tactics discussed in the brook. This is not to say that they don't work but I was expecting deeper insights. Having said all of this, I would recommend this book. It's a great read and I also recommend picking up Ho ...more
    Benjamin Azevedo
    Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Too many fillers. Go for Digital Minimalism, instead.

Note to self: always be aware of books that have a lot of good reviews before publishing. Probably friends, fans or people who got the book as a gift.
    Mylene
    Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
    Spoilers...

Interesting read, lots of tips to avoid distraction (although nothing new - but I guess I'm not the average reader, working in ICT).

I wonder though why people think blocking your agenda to make time for your life goals or most important things to do makes any sense.
    Apparently, they don't work 8 hours a day for a boss (with at least 30 minutes lunch required), or have no real commute time, or don't have dogs.
    When I've done my daily stuff (8 hours of sleep
    Kerry-louise Jones
    This book is full of interesting studies and facts to help you understand why you are being distracted and gives you simple solutions to help improve how you spend the time you have.

I would recommend this to anyone who is struggling with high screen time or work/life balance. It is really relatable and non-judgemental, the author himself admits to falling victim of so many of the struggles that we face today such as checking social media when spending time with his child. A lot of th
    Kathryn
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book literally made so much of the problems I have seem so easy to deal with. It doesn't matter what you do with your time, as long as the things you are doing with your time are the things you had planned to use that time for. This book has increased my productivity and decreased my day to day anxiety, it is full of tips and examples of how to stay on track and not get overwhelmed. I highly recommend it to anyone still trying to get their sh*t together.

description
    Elizabeth
    Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley-arc
    Thanks to NetGalley and BenBella Books for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This book is fascinating! It’s packed with 5 years of research in the field of increasing productivity by decreasing distractions. Lots of helpful tips and tools to implement in the home and/or the office.
    Ryan Newton
    Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
    I really wanted to like this book. Hooked was great and I was excited to develop techniques to combat the draw of my phone.

Unfortunately, Indistractable just doesn't deliver. It's composed of 36 very short chapters that are loosely grouped into sections but that never really come together. And the lessons in each chapter mostly rehash generic productivity advice - plan your day, set aside enough time for family, etc.

Ultimately I found the book to be generic and forgettabl
    Neelam Babul
    Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In this age of technology overuse and social media, I have struggled to maintain my focus and not get overwhelmed with the constant pings and dings distracting my attention and flow.

Indistractible is a highly inspiring and motivational book for me. This is due in large part to its simplicity and the practical advice prevalent in the book. Eyal presents a matrix with which you can ensure the highest level of productivity and achievement. These include:-

1. Master internal triggers ...more
    Willy Gonzalez
    Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I enjoyed listening to Nir’s audiobook Indistractible. I specifically loved the number of great examples and how he stresses that technology isn’t necessarily bad - it’s about how we use it and put the right mecchanisms to avoid the engagement/distracting loop.
    I will definitely be using the trick to ask “is everything ok?” when someone checks their phone in the middle of a social gathering. It’s disarming and thoughtful!
    Taylor
    Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I came into this book as a major fan of Nir’s, and to be honest, was skeptical that he could reproduce the same elegance and practicality of his first book, Hooked.

With Indistractable, Nir has proven that his gift extends far beyond his knowledge, to his ability to go deep on the research, on our behalf, and then translate that research into simple, actionable, and fun/easy to read material. I am really psyched about this book and strongly recommend it.

As context, I am someone who r
    Adriana
    Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: non-fiction
    The best part of this entire book was his advice on setting guidelines on tech usage with your kids, partner, and your friends.

The rest was a very high-level introduction to behavioral adaption and change, with easy-to-use pointers to remember at the end of every chapter. It felt very informal, like a webinar or a collection of PowerPoint slides, and less in-depth or researched analysis, like I was hoping.

Also, while the idea of timeboxing is appreciated, the truth is not everyone has the abil
    ryan brown
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Indistractable is a practical, judgement-free guide to health and happiness for the 21st century. Nir lays out a compelling way to reframe experiences and drive you to a more meaningful, happier relationship with your work, life, and family. The book is laid out in a pragmatic way, with "hack back" tactics to help you improve. There's a wealth of extremely helpful advice. I strongly recommend this book.
    Harshita Gupta
    Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Well, I completed this book today and was contemplating the right kind of words to pen down. I do love non-fiction reads be it belongs to self-help books, business reads, biographies or autobiographies, books on mind or life. I read all the styles of non-fiction. But Indistractable wasn’t the book for me.
    Indistractable focuses on the reduction of distractions that is mainly caused by the use of technology and gadgets. It comprises of easy to read short chapters with further sections talkin
    Greg
    Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: self-help
    As someone living today, I can’t deny the relevance of this book in my life. With so many information, choices, and interesting things going on in this world, it really makes sense for me to take charge of my time; otherwise I will be sucked in to bottomless pit of irrelevance.

This book by Nir Eyal speaks to the truth of what’s happening now and how we can deal with it. This book is well-written. The author was able to balance academic as well everyday people’s language.

T
    Karen Chung
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    An outline of the problems we all face being distracted by and obsessed with our e-gadgets, along with concrete, realistic steps toward retaking control of our time and lives. I especially appreciated the parts on education. Finished in two sessions mostly using text-to-speech. Recommended.
    Javier Lorenzana
    "Distraction runs deeper than technology."

I loved how this book dove beyond surface-level tricks to decrease distraction. In fact, 'Indistractable' is about understanding why we do things that aren’t in our best interest.

This can be chalked up to our internal triggers, underlying motivations, and values. Once we take back control of our internal and external triggers, we can become Indistractable.

This book goes perfectly with Cal Newport's Deep Work. Both provide a complimentary ac
    Grin
    Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I’ve read a ton about managing your attention and focus, but I still learned a lot from this book. The suggestions are very actionable and nuanced, and the underlying framework makes a lot of sense. I’m also grateful for the short chapters and frequent summaries.
    Jonathan
    Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Really valuable insights!
    Barbara Gorzinski
    Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Loved this book because it had plenty of suggestions for me to overcome my distractability. I know the ability to be free from distractibility is a skill smart, successful people possess. This book had lots of research that explained to me why I find it so easy to succumb to distractions from both people and devices. I usually make a deal with the devil to indulge in videos, emails, posting on FB--but I'm getting too old to try and make up the time with all night forced-focus work sessions to ma ...more
    Annabelle Heath
    In the age of the smart phone, it can feel incredibly hard to focus on anything. Even as I write this review, I have my iPad open beside me, my phone buzzing away as I have a conversation with my sister. Focus and attention are rare commodities in the modern world, with so many push notifications, addictive apps and mobile devices vying for them, there's rarely any left for deep work, family time or other constructive hobbies and pursuits.

What I liked about this book is Eyal doesn't
    Elizabeth
    The central argument in Indistractible is that while technology has been designed to keep your attention, it's actually a symptom of a larger issue you might be facing and not so much the problem. Eyal has a four step model to help people: master internal triggers, make time for traction, hack back external triggers, and prevent distraction with pacts. Each part is divided into short chapters that end with a key takeaways box. These chapter takeaways are also conveniently located all together in ...more
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
    Semifinal Round
    1,561,412 Votes Cast
    Nir Eyal is the bestselling author of "Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products" (a finalist for the 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards) and "Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life." (nominated for the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards)

He has taught at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and Hasso Plattner Institute of Design. His writing on technology, psychol
    “We can cope with uncomfortable internal triggers by reflecting on, rather than reacting to, our discomfort. We can reimagine the task we’re trying to accomplish by looking for the fun in it and focusing on it more intensely. Finally, and most important, we can change the way we see ourselves to get rid of self-limiting beliefs.” 3 likes
    “An individual’s level of self-compassion had a greater effect on whether they would develop anxiety and depression than all the usual things that tend to screw up people’s lives, like traumatic life events, a family history of mental illness, low social status, or a lack of social support.” 3 likes