Start by marking “Forms of Things Unknown (Backstage Mystery Series Book 3)” as Want to Read:
Forms of Things Unknown (Backstage Mystery Series Book 3)

Forms of Things Unknown (Backstage Mystery Series Book 3)

For two weeks in the summer of 1876, she is caught in a vortex of love and hate.

Recently returned to Chicago after a successful tour of Hamlet, Lillian Nolan is awakened in the dead of night by a strange voice. She is shocked to learn that well-known and admired actress, Louise Hawthorne, has fallen to her death from the sixth floor of the Tremont House. Was it an accide

Published March 21st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Forms of Things Unknown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forms of Things Unknown

Yvonne Davies
Being already familiar with this series, I was looking forward to carrying on reading the memoirs of Lillian Nolan. Following on from when she was introduced to her spirit guide, Lillian seemed a lot more confident in her life. She accepts that she has supernatural gifts and her roles in the theatre are becoming more prominent. Now back in Chicago, she has a main role at her friend’s theatre and she has stepped away from the protection of her grandma and is now living by herself.
After reading ea
Karen Cole
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Forms of Things Unknown is the third book in Elizabeth Ireland's Backstage Mystery series and as with the previous books, takes its title from the Shakespeare play, Lillian Nolan is performing in. This time she is playing the part of Hermia in A Midsummer Night's Dream, returning once more to her home city, Chicago for the play's run.
As historical murder mysteries, there are always links to true events in these books; the Great Fire of Chicago was an integral part of A Walking Shadow and in Foul
Steph Warren
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book with thanks to the author and Rachel Gilbey at Rachel’s Random Resources blog tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Lillian Nolan returns to her memoirs, the stage and investigating murders in this third instalment of the Backstage Mystery series. The story reads perfectly easily as a standalone, but reading the previous books first will give you more of a sense of the character development, and particularly Lillian’s challenges with her f
Jena Henry
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had the best time with this book, a historical fiction/fantasy book that made the history of the times so fresh and real; readers, you are there with our heroine, actress Lillian Nolan. We learn about two intense weeks in Lillian’s life as told by the 96-year-old Lillian, who is writing her memoirs. From a vantage point of about 70 years, Lillian writes with a confident, clear, factual style.

What was going on in the summer of 1876, besides the harrowing events that Lillian relates? The country
Stephanie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this third book in The Backstage Mystery series my favourite of the three. Each book in the series reads perfectly well as a standalone, but reading them together is just a treat. You really see Lillian develop – as a person, a spiritualist and as an actress – throughout the books.

I also enjoyed that this book now steps away from the theatre and more into Lillian’s personal relationships with her friends and family. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the author’s wonderful descriptions of theat
Lel Budge
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rachels-rr
As always I really enjoyed catching up with Lillian and her memoirs….while this is the third in the Backstage Mystery Series, it can quite easily be read as a stand-alone.

I loved the little factual elements to this story, mentions of a patent for the telephone, popular fiction of the time and the general lifestyle, which just brought the story to life.

Lillian is again called on to help solve the suspicious death of an actress, did she fall or was she pushed……can Lillian find out with the help of
FNM
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author and Rachel's Random Resources for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was really excited to be back in Lillian's world, after reading the first two books I was definitely happy that I got to continue with Lillian on her journey.  Just like the others, this is told as a memoir, as we are transported back to 1876. What I have really loved about this book series is that not only does it really make it feel like it has taken you back in time it al
Jessica Belmont
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m really getting into the historical fiction genre this year, and a lot of that has to do with Elizabeth Ireland’s Backstage Mysteries series. I love that this is written in memoir style. It is such a unique way to tell the story and I was glued to the pages.

As the third in the series, there is still a ton happening to Lillian and for her to solve. The characters are interesting, and Chicago and the theater during 1867 is fascinating.

This could definitely be read as a standalone, but the rest
Laura Cooke
Regina
Apr 26, 2019
Maureen
May 03, 2019
Author, screenwriter and ghostwriter, Elizabeth Ireland is a former associate professor of theater. Born in Chicago and raised on the North Shore she moved to the Atlanta area to take a position with The Disney Channel after leaving academia. Her nonfiction work, Women of Vision: Ordinary Women, Extraordinary Lives, was published in 2008. Her work has also been published in a collection of paranor ...more