Start by marking “Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham (Batman / Judge Dredd, #1)” as Want to Read:
Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham (Batman / Judge Dredd, #1)

Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham

(Batman)

First crossover between Batman and Judge Dredd.
Published December 1st 1991 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Batman/Judge Dredd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman/Judge Dredd

Start your review of Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham (Batman / Judge Dredd, #1)
Ill D
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Justice
Let me tell you about a cool cat named Stewart. Not only does he read all the hip comics these days but, always has a groovy recommendation to share. So when he recommended me the first Batman/Judge Dredd crossover I was all over it.

What starts as an erstwhile Batman hunts-down-the-bad-guys-affair swiftly devolves into a cacophonous otherworldly journey into the dimension(?) of Judge Dredd's plane. Phenomenally well put together art works straddles the line between the hallucinatory and the
Frank Schorr
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the biggest reasons I got into painted comic books. A slew of less than stellar ones came out after this one and never made the same impact. Only the works of Dave McKean and Bill Sienkiewicz arguable could match or excel this particular work of art. The story was funny and moved you along, but the book is about the art. It can almost stand on it's own, but the writing can't do that. I rate it 5 stars because it's a landmark book and in the 90's it jump started the craze into ...more
Alex
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Batman, Dredd and Anderson vs Death, Mean Machine and Scarecrow on the dark streets of Gotham, the perfect setting for the macabre and bizaree worlds of these two anti-heroes to collide. As the protagonists come to blows (vigilantism is, of course a crime in MC1) the gigantic personalities are amelorated wonderful by Anderson's comic interjections. The villains of the piece meanwhile are wonderfully psychotic and the imigary of 'what would scare death himself?' is a beautiful counterpoint to the ...more
Timothy Boyd
Very good team up story. Batman and Judge Dredd are both tough crime fighters and work well together in a story. Recommended
Duncan
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bisley on art, Grant on lyrics - doesn’t get any better than this. The story is a brief folly, but well rounded and not anachronistic. The main characters are some of the strongest in comic books. Fantastic. Only sad that it had to end.
Cieran Hughes
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent cross over. Dredd , Death and Batman
Sean Keefe
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Classic in every sense.
Chris
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
My first experience with a Judge Dredd comic. While probably not a typical example of JD, it was an enjoyable story.
Chris
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a fun idea but it's too short to gain substance in its narrative. Equivalent of a fun summer action movie.
Doctor Alpha
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the very few inter-company team ups to actually work. Fantastic art and humorous story. Recommended.
D.
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wacky ultra-violent fun.
John Greenwood
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very dark, judge death himself descends on Gotham, whilst Batman gets tapped a dimension away.

Great plot, with fantastic artwork. I really enjoyed this.
Bookworm Amir
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I think the reason I really like this book is because of its two main characters -Batman, the Dark Knight Detective, and Judge Dredd, the Ultimate Lawman, being featured. Although Judge Dredd's scenes are pitifully little, the fact that I can see BOTH of them in the same page, that's really awesome.

The art is definitely not for young kids. Not even for teenagers unless you're above 18, in my opinion. The way that the Judge Death kills people is just insanely brutal.

The art, from 1991, is washy
East Bay J
Aug 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A Batman Judge Dredd crossover, in the realm of crossovers, is the perfect idea. Of course, we all know crossovers often suck in a formulaic sort of way. Not so with Judgment On Gotham. The story’s a little schlocky and corny, especially Judge Death’s reworking of The Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy For The Devil”. Ultimately, though, the book is more fun than anything.

Regardless, what makes this book for me is Simon Bisley’s art. Bisley is the shit when it comes to comic art. Judgment On Gotham is
TheDenizen
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I should preface this review by saying I generally hate the Batman character. He's whiny and brooding, he's a spoiled rich kid playing with expensive toys, he's a mentally unstable vigilante with an alarmingly rigid moral code. In short, a psychopathic loser.

This is one of the best DC crossovers ever, largely because it highlights Batman's personality issues by pairing him up with Judge Dredd, another genuine maniac with an absurd concept of morality. It's ultra violent and very funny. Judge
Angel
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not a bad crossover, but it was overall a very short story. As such, some of the elements did seem a bit rushed. Batman ends up briefly transported to MegaCity One and having to deal with Judge Dredd, who pretty much comes across as a bit of a jerk to be honest. The best part of this volume is the excellent art by Bisley, which does make the volume worth a look. The plot is quick romp at best, a brief read, but not much more. It is over before you know it.
Ryan
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
I got nostalgic for this, not having read it since the end of high school. I think it's one for Dredd-heads more than Batfans. Though Batman is the hero, the world and atmosphere are definitely Dredd's. I think the Dark Knight's presence is to highlight the insanity of Mega City One's legal system...and cash in on Batman's then popularity. Bisley's art still looks great and it was fun to take this trip back to my adolescence.
Mark
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dark-tales, comic
WHile I did enjoy Batman I had untill this comic never heard of Judge Dredd. It was through the pages of a Dredd orientated comic an interesting Batman story in which he meets worlds least likable hero. It made me look up more Dredd stuff and actually pleasantly surprised me.

This comic was artwise for me rather impressive and the story was pretty good too.

Well worth seeking out this 1st meeting of Dark hero's.
Ryan Scicluna
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: batman
Surprisingly enough I like the book. I art I was skeptical about but I enjoyed it. It had the 90s feel to it and the story was well balanced. For their first encounter both Batman and Judge Dredd kept true to their character. I am looking forward to read the other crossovers between these two.
Ashley
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ashley by: Rick Hunter
Having never read any of the Judge Dredd comics, I wasn't sure what I was in for when I picked this up. But it was something different Batman-wise for me and I enjoyed it. And I am thinking that I might need to check out some more Dredd.
Beau Johnston
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very interesting cross-over. Well worth reading (especially the concert). Teaming-up the Scarecrow with Judge Death was great (seeing Judge Death in his new uniform alone was worth the purchase price).
Logan
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Most cross-company crossovers aren't especially good. They're usually no more than gimmicks. Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgement on Gotham is just as average as its kin, but it's illustrated by Simon Bisley, which elevates it to readable.
Rao Javed
Jul 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphical-books
I was not at all worth of even one star but I had no other choice. I feel that this Comic was like a offense to the reputation of Batman an
conveyed neither a concept nor an idea. It just so honorable that I dont even was to wast my time writing a review over it.
Brent
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhero, fiction, comics
I remember liking this enough, though I'm not normally a Judge Dredd man.
Travis
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Light weight story is saved by Bisley's wild art and the relationship between the two heroes. Unlike most team up comics Batman and Dredd are such opposites in their view of how justice is best served they are never going to get along, but are forced to work together.

Larry Kenney
to this day, one of the most memorable comics i have read. Amazing artwork and a story that actually works for such a wierd crossover idea. The clash of personalities between Dredd and Batman is highlighted very well.
Dovile
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Once you get used to an art style that's very different from regular Batman comics, and also to blood splatters and overall freakishness in every panel, the story becomes quite good actually. Not for underage readers.
Oscar
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's not a lot to this, but the art is absolutely amazing. It's a little bit more Dredd than Batman in feeling. It's quite a shallow story about Death being unleashed on Gotham, but it's quite fun.
Reyel2107
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
two sides of a same coin , justice !!!!!
Alieeeef
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
the story is not bad but definitely not good

• The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
  • Judge Dredd Year One: Omnibus
  • Judge Dredd: Origins
  • Batman/Judge Dredd: The Ultimate Riddle
  • Batman: Time and the Batman
Alan Grant is a Scottish comic book writer known for writing Judge Dredd in 2000 AD as well as various Batman titles during the late 1980s and early 1990s. He is also the creator of the character Anarky.

Alan Grant first entered the comics industry in 1967 when he became an editor for D.C. Thomson before moving to London from Dundee in 1970 to work for IPC on various romance magazines. After going

Batman (1 - 10 of 373 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1