Start by marking “Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)

Shadow Hunter

(Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #1)

When my magic manifested at puberty, my parents sold me to the Illuminati. They trained me as an assassin, spy, and thief. But when they sent me to steal a magical artifact that reveals Truth in all things, I discovered that I was working for the Dark and not the Light. The Illuminati trained me well, and paid the ultimate price for their deception.

Thousands of miles awa
Published April 7th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Hunter, please sign up.
Sadie Forsythe Depends on the 12yo, I suppose. There is some cursing. It has quite a few fight scenes and she does discuss sex (seducing people on missions and bar…moreDepends on the 12yo, I suppose. There is some cursing. It has quite a few fight scenes and she does discuss sex (seducing people on missions and bar customers who crab her a** and such). Though there isn't actually any sex in the book. (less)

Start your review of Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This really shouldn't have worked for me. The worldbuilding is bog standard and the author does exposition in clumps (including an entire chapter or two up front). Plus, the central cast of secondary characters aren't very complex and Erin is very nearly a Mary Sue.

But I liked it anyway. The pace is good, the action well-drawn, and there's enough weight in the emotional payload to engage me. Plus, the secondary characters are an interesting ensemble and I liked their dynamic, even if
Ian
She worked as an assassin for a shadowy organisation of magical users but when she found out they were evil she destroyed them all.

Now she's on the run, but luckily she lands in a town where she gets a job and a home within 3 minutes.

Cue the Cheers theme song.

Not terrible. Not great. Just average.
Jeanny
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 solid stars. I really enjoyed the story. I especially liked the h was badass throughout. The h did well even when she was outed for the monster she was. Whats more even after her entire belief system was decimated she never developed the clichéd “self sacrificing” “save me” “why me” or “pity me” common behavior amongst female MC. As for romance it’s minuscule & doesn’t involve any “insta-love/lust”. It was a nice change of pace.

I think the book is a standalone however, it’s got
Mara
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent UF. It won't win any prize for world building or depth of characterization, but it was easy to read and enjoyable.
☕️Kimberly
We meet a young assassin trained and sold to the Illuminati when her magic manifested around puberty. She is one of their best hunters until she learns that not everything is black and white, dark and light, good vs evil. She leaves the order with a bang, abandoning everything she knows and takes back her birth name Erin. In hiding, she accepts a job as a bartender in a supernatural pub in the rural town of Westport.

While the story wasn’t perfect and Erin’s background and lack of soc
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Very contrived but it's not the worst thing I've read this week.
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute, fun and entertaining.

Well developed world and interesting characters. I'm looking forward to see what is next for the main character. An all around good read.
Sadie Forsythe
2.5
Meh, I suppose this wasn't bad. But I didn't find anything about it that stood out and I REALLY don't think Erin lived up to her own hype. We're told she'd been intensely training (20hrs a day) since she was 14. But the gaps in her magical knowledge (mostly so the author had an excuse to explain things to the reader) were too wide and frequent to be believed. Plus, her whole "I've never lived in the world" schtick contradicted the fact that she'd been sent on missions, sometimes as staf
Geralyn Lance
Jul 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
M
Apr 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
There is no way the 5 star reviews on this book were legitimately earned. This book is trite. The MC is a Mary Sue who is introduced to us as a Mary Sue; the author doesn't hide it. She can do no wrong and her life is oh so terribly hard because she's a woman but she is the best she's young and hot and oh so very powerful BLECH!. The writing is bland and the story cliché. I'm not interested in the characters, I'm not interested in the world, and the plot is nothing but drivel. This book is one d ...more
Gary
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good book 5 stars all the way
Angela Armstrong
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start

When Erin's past catches up with her, it's not in a subtle way. Lunatic vampires, sane vampires, witches, mages, shifters... all of them are pulled toward a vortex that surrounds her. Now they all need to survive.
Awesome adventure!
Evan
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who like Mary Sues and plots as holey as swiss cheese
Looking at the 5-star reviews, I'm wondering if I read a different book or just had too high expectations for this novel.

Summary of this novel: Plot holes and contradictions galore.

What I came for: A tough, but vulnerable heroine with PTSD, trust issues, and a guilty streak the size of The Great Wall

What I got: A Mary Sue who is loved by all, has no qualms with trusting people, and forgets she has murdered hundreds of innocent people

---

Rachel
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that keeps your interest.

This is a book that once I started, I didn't put down till I finished. The main character was really likeable. She didn't feel like a cookie cutout, and made me want her to succeed. I wasn't sure about the premise at first, but I thought the author pulled it off amazingly. I'm definitely going to read the second book, and look forward to seeing what else this author has in store.
Iori
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like this author's books, Her stories are well written and you feel that she does a lot of research on the subject when she tells it. Here we get Erin who wants redemption and hates herself, she thought she could run away, but her past and problems followed her. She finds friends and people she could count on for the first time of her life. It was a bit cheezy bit I liked it.
Jenny Schwartz
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
BR Kingsolver writes excellent urban fantasy, so when the beginning of "Shadow Hunter" didn't immediately grab me, I kept going - and I'm so glad I did! This is far more complicated than a redemption tale (the background to that quest is what the intro establishes). It's got lots of action as well as a coming of age vibe, and a great set up for the entire series - complications everywhere! Engaging characters.
Tina
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A young girl hidden away and manipulated into an assassins life at the young age of 14. As she learns the appalling truth of the Illuminati , an opportunity arises that helps her to escape. Disappearing to a quiet little town where she can start over as a bartender. She thinks all the members were destroyed but their reach is farther than she knows.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There are plenty of interesting characters introduced in this first book with lots of mages, vampires, werewolves, a
Michelle
Aug 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
The plot isn't bad, but the story was executed poorly. The main character is an ex-assassin in her early 20s that is hiding from her organization by trying to lay low in a town filled with supernaturals and paranormals.

In the beginning of the story, we are shown the time of when she leaves the Illuminati. It had left me very bothered, and not in a good way. They just very quickly dump a whole bunch of dramatic scenes you then don't talk about it anymore throughout the rest of the story. The way
Peter Trist
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Storyline - Well Written

I loved every page of this book. To me it is right up there with the best in the genre that I have come across. Highly recommended.
Off to read the next in the series as soon as I get some sleep. This one kept me up untill the wee hours demanding to be read until the end.
Harper Hamilton
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. Well-written paranormal, strong female lead, conspiracies galore. When you are away from your kindle and a thought comes to mind about who could be orchestrating the bad element in a story line, you know you were hooked and are enjoying the entertainment.

Strong writing, with no sex. So if you like a sexual element to your storyline, you may be a little disappointed. Normally I like a little more of a sex and gore but I still really enjoyed it.

This was the firs
Tracy Kaufman
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! I hate finding the first and only book in a new series. Grrrr. It makes it so hard to wait for the next installment. There is NO cliff hanger which is a huge plus; otherwise I may of started stalking this author with notes of hurry the damn up. I am not going to go into the description of the book plenty of others have done that. Just understand that when you pick it up yo will be very sorry you found it before there were more in the series. Don't let that stop you though. It ...more
Bella Suarez-Ramirez
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of excitement and mystery

I enjoyed this read. The storyline was interesting as Erin learns a hard truth and starts a new life with friends. The mystery of who is killing was a good twist to the storyline. :)
Lorie
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book...

Loved the book cover and the storyline flowed. The mc was badass and endearing with the way she was innocent of the real life. I hope the next book would show more romance. There was none on this one. It was okay though since the book focused more on the heroine character developments. I hope she doesn't get pair up with Travis though since he is too boring and he doesn't even have a car. No chemistry there. The vampire had more chemistry with the heroine. I think the mc needs a g
Ian Strauss
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why are all ghe best bars run by paranormals?

Really fun read! Good pacing and an engaging character. Looking forward to the next one! Fidget, pixel, widget, raven, fudge (needed 5 more words for the review)
Mrs. Barri Soreil
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Innovative, Interesting and Intense

Great concept with colorful characters. Lots of species interaction (humans, enhanced humans, witches, mages, half-fey and vampires). Very fast-paced covering lots of territory but with good character development as well. It doesn't leave you "hanging" but you're definitely going to be eagerly anticipating the next in the series.
Tori Elmquist
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

The illuminati bought her as a child, they trained her, they used her, and they lied to her. Now she's on her own in a strange new city but someone in town is connected to her past.

Shadow hunter is the perfect opening book for this eclectic cast of characters. I can't wait to read book two.
Shana Pare
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
High entertainment!

If the rest of this series are as enjoyable as this first book was, then I believe we are in for a great ride. Excellent characters, both primary and secondary, as well as easy-flowing dialog, deftly carry the plot. I really enjoyed reading this book, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. I sincerely hope that the next book in the series comes out soon.
Phil Matthews
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good

The flow is fairly smooth. There is little character development. The plot is fairly simple but interesting nonetheless. Will continue.
Chrissy
Fabulous new Urban Fantasy series

I love this author’s urban fantasy work and was really looking forward to the release of this book, as it is the start of a new series. One of the things I love most about BR Kingsolver is her ability to construct a world that is logical and follows internal rules without problems. Once again, this author has hit the nail of the head and constructed a strong, consistent world that contains fascinating characters.

The story is about Erin, and young w
Tracy Hoyt
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, action packed and full of dark intrigue!

Wow! I devoured this book like I'm a rabid, starved wolf! I loved this book, everything about it. The plot, the characters, murder, action, the potential for some romance. It has everything to redeem a powerful former killer, and then some. Erin is a study in contradictions, magically talented yet inept in the ways of "normal" living. She founds herself suddenly not so alone and embroiled in murder and mystery. Turns out it's kind of hard for a
I made silver and turquoise jewelry for almost a decade, ended up in nursing school, then took a master’s in business. Along the way I worked in construction, as a newspaper editor, a teacher, and somehow found a career working with computers.

As to my other interests, I love the outdoors, especially the Rocky Mountains. I’ve skied since high school, with one broken leg and one torn ACL

Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill (3 books)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
“And what is the difference between a paranormal and a supernatural?” He gave me an odd look. “Humor me. Couch, sofa, or divan. The words people use are confusing sometimes. I’m not from around here.” Sam chuckled. “Paranormals are humans with talents or magic—mages and witches. Supernaturals are non-human. Vampires, shifters, the Fae. Make sense?” 1 likes