Start by marking “Vanishing Summer (Unexpected Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vanishing Summer (Unexpected Love, #1)

Vanishing Summer

(Unexpected Love #1)

He disappeared four years ago, and I’m to blame. Now he’s back.

I call it the vanishing summer. Everett, my best friend and the first boy I ever kissed, was kidnapped; taken from right beside me. Three months later my mom died. They were both just gone. The bright, fearless spark inside me was gone, too—blown clean out.

I learned that the worst could happen at any moment and
Published March 25th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Vanishing Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanishing Summer

Start your review of Vanishing Summer (Unexpected Love, #1)
Candyce Kirk
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vanishing Summer is the first YA book in a long time that felt so real to me! Lora Richardson isn't afraid of really making you feel something while reading Vanishing Summer. I ended up really loving the characters and that's one of my favorite parts of reading.

Greta is trying to find the way back to being herself, but that isn't easy. After her best friend Everett was kidnapped four years ago (which she blames herself for), her mother also passed away. She's afraid of losing the people she
Jessica Landberg
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that made me happy, despite bringing up things like grief, anxiety and guilt. It's all described very well, without it feeling too heavy.

I completely LOVE the characters! I like both the "new" and the "old" Greta. Her relationship with her father and brother is so sweet, and it makes me wish I had a big brother like Joe! Everett's very charming and adorable, even if he's affected by the things he's been through. My heart was bleading for him... Gretas new friend Meredith seems
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

Fact: I read less YA now than ever.

Another fact: There are a few YA authors who I will continue to read no matter what. That short list includes long-time favorites like Katie McGarry, Julie Cross and Robin Benway – and it also includes Lora Richardson.

Richardson writes contemporary young adult novels that speak to me. There are no fantastical worlds, no over the top drama, no too good to be true characters. What Richardson does best is create down to earth, realistic characters that feel like
Genni Piatt
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It took me a little bit of time to get into it, but it was well worth it. One of the things that I loved about this book was the positive way they talk about therapy. They stress the importance of therapy, dealing with your problems, and having a strong support system. The metaphor used about the mountains and valleys in relation to mental health is wonderful.

Greta tries to navigate her world after her best friend, Everett, is kidnapped by his dad. Even after four
Siobhan Yilmaz
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a journey this read was...Greta's a lost soul after the summer that changed her life. We learn what she's lost and how she's changed over the years into a girl with anxiety and doubt. Her fears hold her back, but she's determined to overcome it all. Then, he returns.
The story is beautifully written and we learn through flashbacks what Greta was like when she was younger, and how she manages her days up until Everett comes back.
It's not a dark or hard read, which is what I prefer. Sometimes,
Boundless Book Reviews
Greta is facing some major anxiety. Four years ago her best friend and first boy she kissed is kidnapped. A few months later her mother died. Now its four years later and she is still getting over the fear and loss of two people she loved. She's determined to be who she was before that summer. The summer where her mom, her friend, and herself vanished. Now Everett is back, and once again her world is flipped upside down.

This story was heartbreaking and had me deeply enthralled. From beginning to
Kaitlyn
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vanishing Summer

This was a good teen romance/ mystery novel. I thought it was very cute and interesting at times. However, I felt like it through me through a hoop a few times. Mainly, about the audience this book is intended for. This book had hints of darker things like depression, anxiety, therapy, and fear that didn’t really work with a teen audience. However, the characters and the focus and Everett’s story about what happened to him with his father would never work with an adult audience.
Amanda Lyons
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Greta is dealing with a lot. Her best friend Everett is kidnapped and her mother dies a few months after. She's seeing a therapist and working on dealing with her anxiety and depression as a result of everything that's happened. Then one night Everett reappears and life changes once again.

I really loved this book. It's very well written and the characters are very relatable. I think it's very important how therapy is portrayed in this book, as a positive thing and not something that one should
BethLee
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r4r
Vanishing Summer is another amazing Lora Richardson book that is the perfect mix of light romance and deeper themes.

I really found myself relating to the characters. They were all flawed people who just wanted to be happy. The narrator was very easy to relate to and I could understand her emotions. The romance was very sweet and made the story seem like an easier read.

I have read and enjoyed other books by this author, and this one didn't disappoint. It is filled with themes. The setting is very
Nicole
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
*All of my reviews are voluntarily written*

Four years ago Greta lost both her mom and her best friend in such a short period of time. Continuing to get help in therapy and trying some new things, Greta is trying to come back to herself. She is not the same person she was, her spark isn't the same. She struggles with anxiety and guilt over what happened.

When Everett suddenly returns, everything is turned around. Greta, Joe, and even Meredith help him by giving him time and space. He has a lot to
Cori Mcgowen
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Everett and Greta

I really enjoyed the story once I finally got into it. It was a little slow starting for me. I loved Everett, he was such a sweetheart. I would have really liked to hear his side of the story in his words. I feel like we missed a lot by not having the book be a dual perspective. I loved Everett and Greta! I also loved the supporting cast, both parents, Joe and Meredith but I didn’t feel like I really got to know them very well. Overall this was a very enjoyable read and I would
Janet Graham
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Growth Through Tragedy
This is a Young Adult, coming of age romance, but so much more. This kids go through some incredibly hard times, stick tight to friends and family and come through the other side. The story takes a little bit to warm up and grab your heart, but you'll be glad to see it through. This is a very good book. I have other books by this author that have been in my TBR file for a few months that I plan on reading next. I received this ARC free from the author and I am glad that I
Georgia
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy for an honest review. This book wasn’t what I thought it was going to be. It was a lovely little story that was sad at times. I would recommend this to anyone who needs a palate cleanser or just needs a good story.
Michele
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vanishings and Findings

What an amazing read! So well crafted! Reality packed! Teens coming of age. A must read! Looking forward to reading the next in this series! That good!
Tracy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story

I really enjoyed this story about Greta and her family and her two best friends. There was some difficult subject matter (dealing with loss) but it was handled beautifully. It was a beautiful story and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.
C
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Time

This book was entirely captivating. You got such a feel for the ones involved and their friendships, fears, hopes, and wondering. It was truly a great read!
Dee/ bookworm
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book, a lot emotions went into the writing.
Jessie Shepps
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet ya romance

This story was an easy quick read. The main characters had a great connection. Some plot twists I wasn’t expecting. All together a good read.
Emma
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
A great contemporary YA read. Dealing with issues of anxiety, grief and guilt. I love the characters and can't wait to read more.
Michelle
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book that had me on the edge of my seat. Could have done without so many flashbacks, but I liked the characters a lot - especially the dad. He was funny.
Mary
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-romance-loved
This was a very sweet, very engaging story. It delves into some difficult subjects--death, abandonment, & the resultant fears--but touches upon them via characters who warm your heart instead of depressing you.

Greta, the main character, is hurting, trying to find her way back to at least the surface of life after experiencing two subsequent major losses. Her older brother Joe struggles with those same losses but in a different way--all the while watching his sister carefully and carving out
Emily
Jun 12, 2019
joshua weyant
Jun 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hidden Creek Secrets (Hidden Creek High #1)
  • Playing the Enemy (The Trouble with Tomboys Book 1)
  • Pep Talks (Pepper Jones, #4)
  • Pepped Up & Ready (Pepper Jones, #3)
  • Over the Falls (Ryder Bay #1)
  • The Kissing Tutor: A Standalone Sweet Romance (Sweet Water High Book 11)
  • Pepped Up (Pepper Jones, #1)
  • Misunderstanding the Billionaire's Heir (Sweet Water High, #1)
  • Love at First Fight (Geeks Gone Wild Book 1)
  • All Pepped Up (Pepper Jones, #2)
  • Bea and the Bad Boy: Young Adult Sweet Romance (Love in Ocean Grove Book 3)
  • Broken Hill Hearts (Broken Hill High #4)
  • Pepped Up & Wilder (Pepper Jones, #6)
  • Intersect (Parallel Duet, #2)
  • Broken Hill Havoc (Broken Hill High #5)
  • Nissa
  • One of the Guys
  • Play With Me (Diamond In The Rough #1)
Hi, I'm Lora. Thanks for taking a peek in here. I live a quiet life in Indiana with my family. I spend my days reading, writing, and hanging out with my people.

Unexpected Love (2 books)
  • Awakening Autumn (Unexpected Love, #2)